OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
2019 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
Playing center is killing his game. He's not built for that. Stop it Luke.

What are Luke's better options here?

I mean, I agree with you but it's not like he's got a plethora of options and he's being stubborn. Zubac has been terrible. Moe isn't ready and even when he does he's only a rookie. That leaves Beasley, LeBron, and Kuzma. Seems like LeBron is going to be the PF with maybe a few mins at C against certain teams.

So, who should Luke turn to? Magic and Rob need to find a way to get another guy like McGee.

Beasley money should have gone to someone like Ed Davis or Brook Lopez. But here we are and Luke is trying to find a way to get Kuz mins.

This is bad rationale. Experimenting with a second year player who had a successful rookie year can mess up his game.

It’s the only option unless you wanna give him LeBron or Ingram’s PT. 2 superior players(one far far superior).

If playing Kuzma at center is truly the only option, then we might have to seriously considering trading Kuzma

Kuzma's trade value right now is super high. Might get you a lotto pick.

Kuzma's value as a center to us might be really low. Also, factor in that we might be getting Kawhi next year and there might not be a spot for him on this team at his preferred forward spots.

If he struggles this year with us at center, that can only hurt his trade value.

I hear you but let’s not rush into it. I never liked the Kuzma at center idea and like it even less after seeing it but we’ve played one of the better 1-2 center punches in the league. We’re designed for the playoffs and in the playoffs, the Warriors generally play Draymond at center while the Rockets consistently played a 3 guard/2 wing lineup. I’m very skeptical but trying to keep an open mind... for now. Come regular season LeBron may be guarding 5s in that lineup and they just don’t wanna do that in the preseason. Right now, we should wait and see.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
2019 wrote:
Fracture wrote:

I mean, I agree with you but it's not like he's got a plethora of options and he's being stubborn. Zubac has been terrible. Moe isn't ready and even when he does he's only a rookie. That leaves Beasley, LeBron, and Kuzma. Seems like LeBron is going to be the PF with maybe a few mins at C against certain teams.

So, who should Luke turn to? Magic and Rob need to find a way to get another guy like McGee.

Beasley money should have gone to someone like Ed Davis or Brook Lopez. But here we are and Luke is trying to find a way to get Kuz mins.

This is bad rationale. Experimenting with a second year player who had a successful rookie year can mess up his game.

It’s the only option unless you wanna give him LeBron or Ingram’s PT. 2 superior players(one far far superior).

If playing Kuzma at center is truly the only option, then we might have to seriously considering trading Kuzma

Kuzma's trade value right now is super high. Might get you a lotto pick.

Kuzma's value as a center to us might be really low. Also, factor in that we might be getting Kawhi next year and there might not be a spot for him on this team at his preferred forward spots.

If he struggles this year with us at center, that can only hurt his trade value.

That's my thinking, but it's hard to find a comparable talent target who won't screw up the Lakers cap next summer. They'd have to wait to pull the trigger until next year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

I think he should be playing more 3 not more 5.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

I have no doubt Kuz will find his way and his role with this team. We had three really good power forwards last season, but two have been shown the door and one is out of place because of Lebron. Kuz will adjust though. And they’ll be many games were Kuz will play the 4 due to Lebron either not playing or playing less minutes. You can tell he wants to be Draymond at the 5, but the question is, can he? Will his court vision and his defense ever catch up to his offense?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

That’s our deepest position unfortunately
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

That’s our deepest position unfortunately

Yep. I don’t doubt his growth at all this offseason but he has a much different task and usage this season compared to last.

I predict a slow start until the rotation stabilizes

Lotta wingz

Props to Luke for supporting him last night postgame
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I have no doubt Kuz will find his way and his role with this team. We had three really good power forwards last season, but two have been shown the door and one is out of place because of Lebron. Kuz will adjust though. And they’ll be many games were Kuz will play the 4 due to Lebron either not playing or playing less minutes. You can tell he wants to be Draymond at the 5, but the question is, can he? Will his court vision and his defense ever catch up to his offense?

Well, hopefully they don’t throw him anymore curveballs moving forward.

I wonder if they let him know during the offseason or just sprung it on him.

Maybe when they signed LeBron, they gave him a heads up to start learning/training for the center position.

Hopefully that’s the case. If not, then he’s been training all offseason to play the 3/4 and now they’re like hey, let’s try you as a 5....

And this isn’t the first young player they treated this way. They treated Julius Randle that way too

Maybe it’s not a good thing that Luke came from GS because now he thinks every 4 can be a small ball 5.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

This Kuzma experiment feels a lot like the whole starting Nance ahead of Randle last season. I don't think it's going to work.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Maybe when they signed LeBron, they gave him a heads up to start learning/training for the center position.

Hopefully that’s the case. If not, then he’s been training all offseason to play the 3/4 and now they’re like hey, let’s try you as a 5....

And this isn’t the first young player they treated this way. They treated Julius Randle that way too

Maybe it’s not a good thing that Luke came from GS because now he thinks every 4 can be a small ball 5.

Kuzma will never be Draymond Green its a mistake and I hope they don't ruin him In hindsight They should have resigned Randle or at least Lopez I like our front office overall but they were wrong on this one
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma out here getting snitched on for taking money in college
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Saw that. I don’t blame him if he did.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Kuzma will never be Draymond Green its a mistake and I hope they don't ruin him In hindsight They should have resigned Randle or at least Lopez I like our front office overall but they were wrong on this one

I don't understand the logic of your train of thought.

If we can't find enough minutes for him at the forward spots so we're trying him at center

How does it help Kuzma to have re-signed Randle or Lopez?

Seems that would create even less minutes for him. I thought we were trying to find more minutes for him, not less?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
defense wrote:

Saw that. I don’t blame him if he did.

That's bs. He needed that money to help the people of Flint get drinkable water. He even said so. He said, if I had more money, I'd help out Flint residents....
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

He actually looked more comfy @ the 4 aslong side McGee at the 5.

We get killed on the glass vs taller opponents with Kuz @ the 5.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
2019 wrote:
Fracture wrote:

I did say I agree that Kuz should not be playing the 5... given the choice, I'd say never ever at but as others pointed out, where else to do we find mins for him as our current rotations are more or less defined? Hell, that's probably not even the hardest part.

Trading him would be foolish IMO. Just need to get a good back up C. Maybe the waiver wire is kind to us and we end up with Tyson or whomever. Maybe there is a KCP deal for a big down the road, but even if you don't give Kuz the mins, who are you going to give them too? Zu? LeBron?

I mean, the one option that maybe we should talk about to get Kuz and BI adequate mins, is to run this: McGee/Kuzma/LeBron/BI/Lonzo with Rondo/Hart/KCP/Lance/Beasley off the bench but we still have the same size issue (and more of it).

So that leads back to my question: not only where does Kuz find his mins but even if we find him some, who is playing C that is a better option and Luke is trying out during pre-season.

Like I said (thing in another thread), our FO's biggest blunder was not getting another big who could meaningful mins the style we want to play. Lopez was there for us. Ed Davis, while signing on day 1, took a one year deal.

But Luke, again, doesn't have any much better options so right now it's trial and error and matching up against Jokic is probably not a great barometer of potential success in that role-- he's one big boy who knows how to use his size and skill.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

still think we'll need to end up choosing between he and BI
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

kuz will be fine playing the 5 He just needs to adjust defensively. Offensively he’ll be fine whereever they put him. I dont think he’s struggling offensively because he’s at the 5, I think they are just learning the offense and how to play together. At the end of the day we all know kuz will get buckets.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
still think we'll need to end up choosing between he and BI

I think the timeline works out in our favor. Kuz won’t need a contact until Lebron’s on his way out, or his role is a bit diminishing, while Kuz’ role isn’t increasing. Fwiw I still think Bron will be a top 12 player year 4
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject:

Kuzma should never play the 5 again.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He didn’t look good, but let’s give it a chance. He played against possibly the best center in the league. He may be able to hold his own vs a lesser center. The position has changed so much the last couple of years.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
2019 wrote:
Fracture wrote:

I did say I agree that Kuz should not be playing the 5... given the choice, I'd say never ever at but as others pointed out, where else to do we find mins for him as our current rotations are more or less defined? Hell, that's probably not even the hardest part.

Trading him would be foolish IMO. Just need to get a good back up C. Maybe the waiver wire is kind to us and we end up with Tyson or whomever. Maybe there is a KCP deal for a big down the road, but even if you don't give Kuz the mins, who are you going to give them too? Zu? LeBron?

I mean, the one option that maybe we should talk about to get Kuz and BI adequate mins, is to run this: McGee/Kuzma/LeBron/BI/Lonzo with Rondo/Hart/KCP/Lance/Beasley off the bench but we still have the same size issue (and more of it).

So that leads back to my question: not only where does Kuz find his mins but even if we find him some, who is playing C that is a better option and Luke is trying out during pre-season.

Like I said (thing in another thread), our FO's biggest blunder was not getting another big who could meaningful mins the style we want to play. Lopez was there for us. Ed Davis, while signing on day 1, took a one year deal.

But Luke, again, doesn't have any much better options so right now it's trial and error and matching up against Jokic is probably not a great barometer of potential success in that role-- he's one big boy who knows how to use his size and skill.

Yeah, something doesn't add up.

1) Problem: Not enough minutes for Kuzma at the forward spots (because of LeBron and Ingram)

2) Possible solution: Play him at center

3) Problem: He shouldn't be playing center, we should have signed a real center like Brook Lopez

4) Possible solution: trade him while his value is still high?

5) Problem: It'd be foolish to trade him.

6) Possible solution: ok, play him at center then.

7) Problem: seems like we have no other choice, but I still don't like it... Maybe we can pick up a center on waivers... , but then, we still have the issue of not having any minutes for him at the forward spot. But, we also can't trade him.... Seems like there's no solution

8) Possible solution: well, I guess he won't be THAT bad at center. As long as its not BIG centers... and, he can always score. Actually, now that I've convinced myself, I think it's a good move. Problem solved!

It's like going in circles just to come back to the same spot.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He should be fine against small 5s. Jokic is massive and has post skills. Basically Kuz should never matchup vs starting 5s, yea.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I don't understand the logic of your train of thought.

If we can't find enough minutes for him at the forward spots so we're trying him at center

How does it help Kuzma to have re-signed Randle or Lopez?

Seems that would create even less minutes for him. I thought we were trying to find more minutes for him, not less?

Your right there is a logjam at forward and only one reliable center Javale. Brook could have been resigned easily he wanted to be here,Kuzma would play his normal position By bringing in Lance and Beasley it created this situation where Kuzma is playing center Look I hope I'm wrong and Kuz turns out to play decent at center but I don't see it
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:

He should be fine against small 5s. Jokic is massive and has post skills. Basically Kuz should never matchup vs starting 5s, yea.

Small 5s like who?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 341 of 880
Jump to: