OFFICIAL KYLE KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Unless randle has as draymond green type renaissance I think he gets traded for assets. Maybe as a package to unload deng and leave 2019 room.
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Very excited about Kuz. Finally gives us some 3 point shooting at the PF position, something Jules/Nance haven't given us at this point.

2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
In comparing Randle, Nance and Kuzma, Kuzma is the most versatile offensively and Nance is the best defender of these three. In the very near future Randle will be the most expensive of the three to keep. If the Lakers intend to sign two max contracts next year , his salary extension may become an issue. In this coming season if Randle plays like 1/2 of Lebron 2.0 or by some miracle of God Lakers are able to trade Deng with maybe another player like Clarkson are 2 of a few far out scenarios that helps Randle.

Kuzma's not more versatile offensively than Randle.

Kuzma can hit threes does not equal more versatility.

Kuzma can hit threes.

Randle is better than him in the fast break offense
Randle doesn't need another point guard to set up his offense in the fast break as he can do it himself while handling the ball.
Randle's better at creating offense in the half court
Randle can get his own shot off against NBA competition in an Iso situations.
He is a better passer and playmaker in the fast break.
He's a better finisher in general.

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.

This just echo's when people were saying how Nance was more versatile than Randle and would take his starting spot after his Summer League performance as well.

Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2016-17 PFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Frye, Anderson, Ibaka, Love, Porzingis, Ilyasova, M Williams

2016-17 SFs who took 300+ 3pt FGA and shot 35%+: Porter Jr, CJ Miles, Snell, Crowder, Hayward, George, Galo, Kawhi, Durant, Ross, LeBron, Melo

That's 19 guys in the league at forward who shoot a good % at a material volume.

I want to see Kuzma join that list

Would be nice, if he could do that I'd see him playing a lot of backup 3 and Deng could be in trouble.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Randle isn't the guy that should be worried about Kuzma's emergence. Nance, Deng and Zubac should be.
If Kuzma emerges as a PF who can hit the 3 and play strong defense, Randle should worry too. The above discussion was all about offensive abilities. My hope is that Walton is going to require some defensive effort to get significant minutes this next year. If Walton gets significantly better defense from Kuzma than Randle, Randle is going to find himself sitting on the bench quite a bit. Until we see Kuzma against real NBA players, however, this is all hypothetical.

Actually, I would also remove Deng's name and add Brewer's to your list. Until I see otherwise, I think Deng will have injuries for the rest of his career that will keep him from playing even a moderate amount of minutes. He has a great contract for 3 more years, why should he worry? He should be the happiest guy in the Southern California.

Brewer, on the other hand, may lose a significant amount of playing time. Magic has already stated that he wants Kuzma to play sf. If that pans out, Brewer is going to have a hard time getting off the bench and, subsequently, getting his next contract.

Regrettably, one of the surest signs of the Philistine is his reverence for the superior tastes of those who put him down. --Pauline Kael
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The only offensive advantage Kuzma has over Randle is he can hit threes. But Randle has him beat everywhere else on the court.

I'd definitely argue this.

With Kuzma, with my romper room magnifying glass, I see:
Better court vision
Better floor recognition/decision-making
Better switch defense (surprised me when he went onto wings)
Better HC execution, explores offensive options, but doesn't stop ball

My summer league spirit player is Brady Heslip.

https://hoop-math.com/
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I would save judgment on who I like better (Julius vs Kyle) after I see Julius playing with Lonzo first. And then I'd like to see Kyle do the same against non-summer league guys.

After that, I think we'll have a better idea.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Kuz/Randle debate is fun. Can't wait to see it play out. Personally prioritize shooting

Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Better court vision

Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Shooting

Defense

and then whatever else is left.

100% , from the PF position. Playmaking is ancillary, and Kuzma provides enough of it, while arguably doing it in a more efficient style than Randle

I give Kuzma the defensive edge as well, although I'm interested to see if Randle can indeed improve to Average on that end (being better conditioned) . Kuz probably won't be average himself his rookie year, so that side of the ball will be "meh" for both players this year, in my assumption
defense
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Better court vision

Adding to that:

Better rolling off the screen.
Better popping off the screen.
Better when changing ends off the ball (kind of a big deal with Lonzo...hopefully Randle figures this out).
Defensively, way better at communication.

Like epak said, it will be interesting to see how Julius adapts to playing with Zo. Maybe he cleans up some of his areas.

The decision will likely be down to whether he gets it done on the defensive end. We've got to figure out keeping Randle vs. Lopez vs. Clarkson vs. KCP vs. free agent. If the light bulb doesn't go off or energy isn't there on D for Julius, then Kuzma and Nance are cheaper alternatives even if Randle turns out slightly better impact.

I pretty much agree with all of thee above. Hopefully Luke gives Kuzma a shot to prove he can do it in the NBA. My instincts tell me that wont come this season though.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I agree with mike and DB. Kuzma is probably the better overall basketbll player, but randle has that unique skillset that makes you think he could become a star if he puts it all together. Which is the same reason why randle has started over nance even though nance seems to be the more well rounded player.

Randle is that top pick who you give minutes hoping he figures it all out one day. Right now randle is also the better fit next to Lopez since he's a monster rebounder and with 4 guys who can already spread the floor it's not as important for randle to shoot as it has been in previous seasons (although we all hope he's made that leap).

Kuzma is going to have to wait his turn, but if randle doesn't pan out then a Ingram, Kuzma pairing is very, very intriguing.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I agree with mike and DB. Kuzma is probably the better overall basketbll player, but randle has that unique skillset that makes you think he could become a star if he puts it all together. Which is the same reason why randle has started over nance even though nance seems to be the more well rounded player.

Randle is that top pick who you give minutes hoping he figures it all out one day. Right now randle is also the better fit next to Lopez since he's a monster rebounder and with 4 guys who can already spread the floor it's not as important for randle to shoot as it has been in previous seasons (although we all hope he's made that leap).

Kuzma is going to have to wait his turn, but if randle doesn't pan out then a Ingram, Kuzma pairing is very, very intriguing.

Except we actually don't (as far as we know right now) have adequate 3-point shooting at the other forward position.

Also, if Kuzma's a better fit out of the gate why does he have to wait his turn? It's pretty clear keeping Randle after this season is a Plan D at this point, so even the "development" rationale falls flat.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Baseline spin moves = Kooz

"Thanks, NPZ! You are the COOLEST!" --HueyLewis
"dude...npz...your written laker prose is up there with chickie's verbal." --Superboy
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Defense and outlet passing = Nance, btw.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I'll wait till I see Julius paired with Lonzo before comparing. My hunch is Zo makes a big difference. Also to see Kuz vs real NBA comp. Julius has had quite a few monster games in the NBA already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'll wait till I see Julius paired with Lonzo before comparing. My hunch is Zo makes a big difference. Also to see Kuz vs real NBA comp. Julius has had quite a few monster games in the NBA already.

As GT has said, it shouldn't take long to see if they have chemistry together either. It literally took Kuz and Zo just one game to click.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
22 wrote:

As GT has said, it shouldn't take long to see if they have chemistry together either. It literally took Kuz and Zo just one game to click.

I agree it shouldn't take long but not necessarily a single game. SPL comp is significantly different than reg NBA. We won't even KCP for the first two games with his suspension. But if Zo looks comfortable then it shouldn't take long for the other players to gel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

It's on Randle to completely change his game..
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Except we actually don't (as far as we know right now) have adequate 3-point shooting at the other forward position.

Also, if Kuzma's a better fit out of the gate why does he have to wait his turn? It's pretty clear keeping Randle after this season is a Plan D at this point, so even the "development" rationale falls flat.

Nance didn't take his spot so idk people think Kuzma will.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Nance didn't take his spot so idk people think Kuzma will.

Nance can't shoot, tis priority #1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
its not that hard to do because it's the zo effect. Kuz didn't play like this at Utah did he? Did Vander Blue? Nope. The way Zo plays is infectious

You know Julius' passes are bout to be even more fire playing off Zo I can't wait.

I have close to zero reservations about his fit with Zo. Just needs to let the jumper fly like kuz did and everything will open up.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
its not that hard to do because it's the zo effect. Kuz didn't play like this at Utah did he? Did Vander Blue? Nope. The way Zo plays is infectious

You know Julius' passes are bout to be even more fire playing off Zo I can't wait.

I have close to zero reservations about his fit with Zo. Just needs to let the jumper fly like kuz did and everything will open up.

He needs to run the lanes in transition, and pass ahead on the break, if he still plans on being a transition ballhandler. That's a pretty big difference from last season's slow trot to the wing, shimmy move, and kick it back to Young for a 3.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 75 of 77
Jump to: