Official Thomas Bryant Thread (Lakers Must Opt Out/In by July 5, 2018; Released Today)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Very very very very exciting prospect eventually. But just a reminder of what his lateral mobility was/is.
look at how difficult it is for his legs to change direction, he like, has to jump/hop to switch directions..... Also, Jayson Tatum is no speed demon, not even SG quickness.

Meaningless. Bryant plays a different position (C vs SF) and is 40 plus lbs. heavier than Tatum.

So as a center he wouldn’t be asked to guard SFs and other players?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

No he would not. A center would not be assigned to guard at SF. He would only be asked to guard one in order to provide help D because of obvious picks and breakdowns. A video of Bryant not being able to guard Tatum in a Summer League game is ridiculous. Just a side note, Bryant can't guard Isiah Thomas either (in case anyone was wondering).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

If he can bring a true floor spacing presence, and offer colorable defense at the rim, he can be a rotation player on a cheap deal for the Lakers.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. His shot is legit which will provide us spacing. The young buck has some development and learning to do. That almost 9 and a half foot standing reach that he possesses is something that can't be taught. I love his tenacity and he could be a solid bench player and rim protector for us.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

[quote="KeepItRealOrElse"][quote="RI Laker"]
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Very very very very exciting prospect eventually. But just a reminder of what his lateral mobility was/is.
look at how difficult it is for his legs to change direction, he like, has to jump/hop to switch directions..... Also, Jayson Tatum is no speed demon, not even SG quickness.

That kid Tatum is smooth on the court. I've seen a few Celtic games, and he always contributes nicely. In a couple of years he'll be special.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Meaningless. Bryant plays a different position (C vs SF) and is 40 plus lbs. heavier than Tatum.

So as a center he wouldn’t be asked to guard SFs and other players?

Effectively, bigmen are asked to quasi-guard wings on every other possession - it's called hedging ( lateral movement)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Exactly. His shot is legit which will provide us spacing. The young buck has some development and learning to do. That almost 9 and a half foot standing reach that he possesses is something that can't be taught. I love his tenacity and he could be a solid bench player and rim protector for us.

I like the motor a lot. Can't teach that, even if his lateral quickness isn't the best.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I like the motor a lot. Can't teach that, even if his lateral quickness isn't the best.

*the worst in the league
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

*the worst in the league

What is the worst?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

He does have a motor and an attitude to boot. I hope Luke gives him a chance and we do go the entire season not knowing what we have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

He does have a motor and an attitude to boot. I hope Luke gives him a chance and we do go the entire season not knowing what we have.

If we are terrible post all-star, could see Bogut being bought out. Maybe Zub is moved, etc. He should get some PT come late Feb/early March IMO.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

*the worst in the league

What is the worst?

Lateral mobility wise, he's up there.. literally has to take a second to gather and hop to change directions, that YouTube linked play is a nightmare
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think you're spot on about that being what ultimately determines how well his NBA career goes. He has an insane reach so he doesn't need to play as far up on guys defending the PnR or on the perimeter. But he will need to improve his lateral quickness and learn how to judge the right distance and angles. Will come down to his work ethic IMO. As they say, success depends on your backbone, not your wishbone.

We also have to remember Bryant (20.3) is just a baby like Lonzo (20.1), Ingram (20.2) and Zubac (20.7). These guys are years away from being what they will grow into. To get a guy that young with a 9'4"+ standing reach and touch out to the 3pt line with a mid-second round pick is just amazing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I did notice his inability to go east-west. Haven't seen him in the GLeague so not sure if he's worked on that.

Promising signs on the offensive end though. Some shooting ability.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

the thing that gives me hope that he will be able to improve in that area is that he seems to do thing pretty quickly. He's not slow or plodding. It just looks like they need him to loosen his hip up and add more core strength. At 20 you can do that in like 6-8 months if it's a priority.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
the thing that gives me hope that he will be able to improve in that area is that he seems to do thing pretty quickly. He's not slow or plodding. It just looks like they need him to loosen his hip up and add more core strength. At 20 you can do that in like 6-8 months if it's a priority.

Whoever taught Myles Turner how to run (dude looked like he had hip surgery in college) should teach TB this.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think you're spot on about that being what ultimately determines how well his NBA career goes. He has an insane reach so he doesn't need to play as far up on guys defending the PnR or on the perimeter. But he will need to improve his lateral quickness and learn how to judge the right distance and angles. Will come down to his work ethic IMO. As they say, success depends on your backbone, not your wishbone.

We also have to remember Bryant (20.3) is just a baby like Lonzo (20.1), Ingram (20.2) and Zubac (20.7). These guys are years away from being what they will grow into. To get a guy that young with a 9'4"+ standing reach and touch out to the 3pt line with a mid-second round pick is just amazing.

I think it has to be the only reason why he slipped to the mid 2nd round pretty much. For a Center, he's kind of a lights out shooter.. Also a good passer. Good motor. Crazy Length. Only thing missing is lateral mobility, which is huge today.
It's an interesting ailment.. he's a solid athlete otherwise. Hips and core work hopefully fix it - hell im willing to wait 2 years for him to continue working on it, for that fix to finally work. Because otherwise I think he's a great prospect. Really think if he had average lateral mobility for a Center, he'd be a good starter. Can really shoot, motor, passing, length on defense. I'm praying he fixes it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think it has to be the only reason why he slipped to the mid 2nd round pretty much. For a Center, he's kind of a lights out shooter.. Also a good passer. Good motor. Crazy Length. Only thing missing is lateral mobility, which is huge today.
It's an interesting ailment.. he's a solid athlete otherwise. Hips and core work hopefully fix it - hell im willing to wait 2 years for him to continue working on it, for that fix to finally work. Because otherwise I think he's a great prospect. Really think if he had average lateral mobility for a Center, he'd be a good starter. Can really shoot, motor, passing, length on defense. I'm praying he fixes it

And is dirt cheap. We need to nail this kind of prospect at that price if the 2 max plan is to work.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Word. I'm really hopeful to see if he comes to fruition as a cog in a couple years. Think he can do it
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I saw some clips of him at the G League and he was hitting those 3's!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Word. I'm really hopeful to see if he comes to fruition as a cog in a couple years. Think he can do it

Worse lateral movement than Zu/Bogut?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Worse lateral movement than Zu/Bogut?

Worse than Zu.

On Bogut's level
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, I did notice his inability to go east-west. Haven't seen him in the GLeague so not sure if he's worked on that.

Promising signs on the offensive end though. Some shooting ability.

It's improved. It's not perfect but he's definitely been working on it. Maybe the G League speed of the game is just much slower but his lateral movement does seem to be a point of improvement at least where I can tell he's been working on it.

But I think vertical it and timing will be his best friend. A more improved Lopez defensively but better ability to stretch the floor and block shots I'd enjoy as his upside.

Problem is if he was that our coach wouldn't know how to use him.GB
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to see him watch our Lakers again.

But even if he played, and then does amazing, he would still get benched in the final minutes anyway cause he's not in Luke's foxhole.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

WATCHIT -
a better video of his lateral mobility issues

Anywho, he's hit 4 3pointers in multiple Gleague games, 6 in one.

MJST I actually do think he's improving his mobility, as well. Here's how I look for it
I look at his first steps of his sprints/jogs up the court
watch them in this video
Opposed to this recent vid

Looking more spry on that first step, which involves the hips generating force and movement

But what makes you think that he'll be better on D than Brook Lopez? He's not more mobile.. Does he have the knack for shot blocking?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 23 of 32
Jump to: