We will win 40 games this season, George or no George
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dao
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 5567

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

We have an average starting SG in KCP, and an above average starting C in Lopez. Can Lonzo, Ingram, and Randle be average starters for us this year? That's what it would take for us to be an average team. Expecting Lonzo to be an average starter is obviously asking a lot of a 19 year old that plays the most talent-rich position in the NBA. Randle and Ingram might be able to do it, but both of them would have to make huge strides defensively, and Ingram's three point percentage has to increase significantly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersARETheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

I think the wolves will make it. Teague and butler are still very good players. Anyways I can see this team winning at least 38 games. I think the west 7th and 8th spots have to win 45 games to get in this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 95938
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

35 is possible indeed.
_________________
Let’s bring Ariza home!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 2361
Location: Far from home

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

I think 35 is the Expected Value for wins next season. I can barely conceive of the Lakers doing six games worse or better, barring that is, key sick bay problems or some juicy trade for a coveted player.
_________________
“These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3593

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

35 is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

However, I'm with TooMuchMajicBuss...watching Lonzo last night was a thrill. Yes, it was just summer league, but who else in summer league can thoroughly impact/dominate a game that way?

Long way to go, but I really liked what I saw last night. Lonzo has me believing. If he can play like that consistently, talking about his overall floor game, not the points...he'll be transcendant, and we'll be better than one might think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 95938
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

I hope we don't pawn of KCP and Brook at the trade deadline. Start teaching our kids how to win and play in meaningful games.
_________________
Let’s bring Ariza home!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 2361
Location: Far from home

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Our Ball boy will transform this team like he did with UCLA.


Has he ever been on a team that didn't beat expectations significantly? Our savior is here.


Judging from the range of reactions that I saw this past Spring in posts from UCLA fans at the main fan site (Bruin Gold), one would have to say Lonzo fell short of many, many fans' expectations:

- no Bob Cousy award, which was a widely held expectation
- no UCLA appearance in the Elite Eight round, nor in Final Four

He did have an immediate effect on the efficiency and impact of several returning players (Bryce Alford, Isaac Hamilton, Aaron Hamilton), and he had some near All America help in fellow frosh TJ Leaf. I think what Lonzo did at UCLA was fantastic, but I wouldn't say it was commonly thought that he beat expectations, for maybe half of UCLA's fans.
_________________
“These GOAT discussions are fun distractions while sitting around waiting for the pizza to be served.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1412

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Now tanking is out of the question without a first round pick.

A goal of 35 wins should be the minimum. Read the previous posts and the team is much improved.

Last year 41 wns got you into the playoffs.

This should well be in the possibility of this team. A lot depends on finding a veteran PG.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Posts: 1276
Location: Lost Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

im standing by my sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 95938
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

I'm just happy we are done tanking. No more losing culture.

I'm also hoping we don't ship out KCP/Brook at the trade deadline. Fight to the very last game and teach these kids to go for every win possible.
_________________
Let’s bring Ariza home!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 4385

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

Actually, call me crazy.. but I think the Lakers have a solid chance at sneaking into the playoffs this year.

The Clippers and Jazz got worst.

The Trailblazers, Suns, Grizzlies pretty much stayed the same almost.

Idk that Paul Milsap moves the needle THAT much for Denver.

Outside of Cousins, Davis, and Jrue.. there isn't a ton on the Pelicans.

I mean.. if Lonzo has as much success in the NBA as he's having in the Summer League.. that's a game changer. I'm not saying 2 seed or anything.. but the Lakers have enough talent I think to sneak in. Prior to summer league -- I would've said no -- but, because Lonzo is playing well enough (and all he really has to do is get the ball moving to be successful) I'm a lot more optimistic.

Their bench of Clarkson, Hart, Bryant, Deng, Nance, Zubac, Kuzma is solid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128777
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

Well at least we now know it is no George.
_________________
Oh when the Saints, come marching in..........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 7508
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Actually, call me crazy.. but I think the Lakers have a solid chance at sneaking into the playoffs this year.

The Clippers and Jazz got worst.

The Trailblazers, Suns, Grizzlies pretty much stayed the same almost.

Idk that Paul Milsap moves the needle THAT much for Denver.

Outside of Cousins, Davis, and Jrue.. there isn't a ton on the Pelicans.

I mean.. if Lonzo has as much success in the NBA as he's having in the Summer League.. that's a game changer. I'm not saying 2 seed or anything.. but the Lakers have enough talent I think to sneak in. Prior to summer league -- I would've said no -- but, because Lonzo is playing well enough (and all he really has to do is get the ball moving to be successful) I'm a lot more optimistic.

Their bench of Clarkson, Hart, Bryant, Deng, Nance, Zubac, Kuzma is solid.

Apparently denial is more than just a river in Egypt.
Transcendent players don't make teams 5 or 6 games better after everyone else around them is improved or better overall (offense AND defense). Last year they could have won more without tanking. I'll be surprised if we don't see AT LEAST 20 more wins based on what we know as of July 14th. Say it with me, "tran-scen-dent".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 816

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject:

Bringing this one back, even though we've started 2-4 I feel even better about 40 wins now. These guys play D and the team's already shown they have taken on Lonzo's identity of playing fast and playing selflessly, even Julius and Clarkson (mostly) have been making the right basketball plays more often than not this year.

Our shooting so far has been historically unsustainably bad, that will fix itself in time.
_________________
BBB back to back to back
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VujacicForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 2698
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
Bringing this one back, even though we've started 2-4 I feel even better about 40 wins now. These guys play D and the team's already shown they have taken on Lonzo's identity of playing fast and playing selflessly, even Julius and Clarkson (mostly) have been making the right basketball plays more often than not this year.

Our shooting so far has been historically unsustainably bad, that will fix itself in time.


This team better win 40 games. If they don't:

-Say goodbye to max free agents signing here
-We lose a season of tanking, along with player we tanked for.
-Not winning 40 games probably means unimpressive performance from Ingram
-We will probably max Randle.


_________________
"Your Waifu is TRASH"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 11059
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
Bringing this one back, even though we've started 2-4 I feel even better about 40 wins now. These guys play D and the team's already shown they have taken on Lonzo's identity of playing fast and playing selflessly, even Julius and Clarkson (mostly) have been making the right basketball plays more often than not this year.

Our shooting so far has been historically unsustainably bad, that will fix itself in time.


This team better win 40 games. If they don't:

-Say goodbye to max free agents signing here
-We lose a season of tanking, along with player we tanked for.
-Not winning 40 games probably means unimpressive performance from Ingram
-We will probably max Randle.



We're a 32-24 win team from day one.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16774

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
Bringing this one back, even though we've started 2-4 I feel even better about 40 wins now. These guys play D and the team's already shown they have taken on Lonzo's identity of playing fast and playing selflessly, even Julius and Clarkson (mostly) have been making the right basketball plays more often than not this year.

Our shooting so far has been historically unsustainably bad, that will fix itself in time.


This team better win 40 games. If they don't:

-Say goodbye to max free agents signing here
-We lose a season of tanking, along with player we tanked for.
-Not winning 40 games probably means unimpressive performance from Ingram
-We will probably max Randle.



We're a 32-24 win team from day one.


Then it may be time to admit the pipe dream of "LeBron and George" Isn't happening.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2001
Posts: 1071

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
deal wrote:
We're a 32-24 win team from day one.
Then it may be time to admit the pipe dream of "LeBron and George" Isn't happening.
Or possibly delayed one year until we can line up a third star in a S&T. Some tanking required.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16774

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject:

Or we could actually start investing in our youth and focusing on developing them instead of acting like we're on a ticking clock every single year for free agency.


Letting go of that 'fantasy' sooner rather than later allows us to focus our attention on where it actually matters.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9793

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Or we could actually start investing in our youth and focusing on developing them instead of acting like we're on a ticking clock every single year for free agency.


Letting go of that 'fantasy' sooner rather than later allows us to focus our attention on where it actually matters.


Too late for that, the 2 Max FA train left the station the minute DLo was traded for salary cap space. I'm with you that I hope we can retain Randle, I think he will be an upper echelon big in the league
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 95938
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

Keepers: Lonzo, Ingram, Kuz, Jules, Hart

To be determined: Nance, JC, Zub

Likely cap casualties: Deng, JC.
_________________
Let’s bring Ariza home!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3299

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Keepers: Lonzo, Ingram, Kuz, Jules, Hart

To be determined: Nance, JC, Zub

Likely cap casualties: Deng, JC.
nance has been ballling. better than i expected. and he's been very aggressive.

so i'm throwing larry in the keepers section.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 32970

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

We will win at least 40 ....... in 2018.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 1457

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
We will win at least 40 ....... in 2020.


Fixed that for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 11059
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
deal wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
Bringing this one back, even though we've started 2-4 I feel even better about 40 wins now. These guys play D and the team's already shown they have taken on Lonzo's identity of playing fast and playing selflessly, even Julius and Clarkson (mostly) have been making the right basketball plays more often than not this year.

Our shooting so far has been historically unsustainably bad, that will fix itself in time.


This team better win 40 games. If they don't:

-Say goodbye to max free agents signing here
-We lose a season of tanking, along with player we tanked for.
-Not winning 40 games probably means unimpressive performance from Ingram
-We will probably max Randle.



We're a 32-24 win team from day one.


Then it may be time to admit the pipe dream of "LeBron and George" Isn't happening.


Be it as it may, this is a basically new organization. It takes time for these guys together to know each others S&W, integrate, rookies learn the NBA, etc. etc.

Any early pipe related to winning 40 games is just that. I doubt Vagas or alike called us a 40 game team.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB