ESPN article : future power rankings (insiders)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: ESPN article : future power rankings (insiders)

can anyone who's an ESPN insider shed some light as to what they are saying about the Lakers in this ?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22843641/nba-future-power-rankings-warriors-rockets-celtics-top-teams-next-three-years
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

The future power rankings are a junk feature that does not deserve any discussion. It's not even clear to me what these rankings mean. In theory, this is a prediction of success over the next three seasons, but in practice I've never seen much correlation to that standard in ESPN's rankings.

Anyway, since you asked, the Lakers rank tied for 11th:

Quote:
Players
T-16

Management
T-13

Money

Market
T-1

Draft
T-12

Overall: 55.8

Quote:
The Lakers' ascent from 25th in these rankings as recently as September 2016 continues with their highest finish since May 2013, when L.A. billboards were urging Dwight Howard to re-sign and current stars Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram were 15.

Along with rookie Kyle Kuzma, Ball and Ingram lead a young core that has the Lakers believing they can return to the playoffs even without importing a max free agent. Their presence makes it more realistic that such a star (or two) might consider the Lakers this offseason after the NBA's most desirable market alone wasn't enough to lure free agents.

This season's success has also strengthened our view of Lakers management. Nobody's whispering about David Fizdale replacing Luke Walton on the sidelines anymore, and president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and GM Rob Pelinka have done well to position the Lakers for a big splash in free agency.

-- Kevin Pelton

(Previous rank: No. 17)
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Now if ONLY our young guys could stay healthy enough to stay on the court!
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

The ranking obviously does not assume that we will sign specific top free agents - and because that cannot be guaranteed, it should not assume.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I'll take 11.

Then #1 after we get through this offseason
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

For Pelton that's quite a move up. Still, from what I've seen I'd say this core with 2 more years experience and NBA bodies can do better than 11th.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
For Pelton that's quite a move up. Still, from what I've seen I'd say this core with 2 more years experience and NBA bodies can do better than 11th.

We're also the highest ranked non-playoff team. The next highest is Brooklyn at 19. Every team ranked ahead of us is above .500 and at least battling for a playoff spot. We're also the youngest team. I think being tied with Indiana is wack (come on, who would take Indiana's future over ours?), but its a pretty sound ranking otherwise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: