John McEnroe pisses off Serena Williams + fans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: John McEnroe pisses off Serena Williams + fans

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-mcenroe-refuses-to-apologize-for-controversial-serena-williams-comments/
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

He's not wrong though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 6846

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

It'd be cool to make an exception and actually let Serena test herself in a men tournament
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
It'd be cool to make an exception and actually let Serena test herself in a men tournament


She wouldn't qualify, and if you slotted her in as the last entrant anyway, she'd get double bageled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

BTW, it's not like Mac was saying that women's tennis was trash or something. He said she was the GOAT women's player. If anything his projection of 700 was very generous.

This "outrage culture" has to stop. He was just stating what everyone really knows if you compare men to women in tennis. If anything, blame the idiot interviewer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


agree
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39660
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


agree


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Many believe making comparisons between menís and womenís tennis does little for the game, something that Williams herself has touched upon in the past. ďFor me, menís tennis and womenís tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports,Ē Williams said in 2013. ďIf I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes. No, itís true. Itís a completely different sport. The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder, itís just a different game.Ē

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/27/john-mcenroe-serena-williams-world-ranking-tennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
It'd be cool to make an exception and actually let Serena test herself in a men tournament


Already kinda hapenned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch_vs._the_Williams_sisters

>1998 Australian Open
>Venus and Serena claimed they could beat any male payer ranked >200.
>Karsten Braasch (ranked #203) challenged both
>Braasch played a round of golf and drank 2 beers and then beat serena 6-1, and then beat Venus 6-2, back-to-back.
>Braasch said he played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"

_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


agree


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


Yeah -- he shouldn't have let himself get baited by the "journalist".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 27797
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


agree


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


This article from 2013 was prescient:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/bobby-riggs-billie-jean-king-battle-of-the-sexes-rigged

Quote:
Riggs was 55 years old. King was in her heyday. Itís like if Serena Williams played John McEnroe today. Whatever happened in the Court match was irrelevant. King should have won that match and did win it.

_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19217

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


Here is the current 700th ranked singles player:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/issam%20haitham-taweel/tc00/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issam_Haitham_Taweel

I guess she might be able to take that guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14594
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.


He probably would. He still plays semi-competitively.

He also said he'd rank himself around 1200 if he tried, so he did acknowledge she was better than him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39660
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.


Of course, but not really my point.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 4640
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


Here is the current 700th ranked singles player:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/issam%20haitham-taweel/tc00/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issam_Haitham_Taweel

I guess she might be able to take that guy.


He'd destroy her imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.


Of course, but not really my point.


To your point: Why do you think it was stupid of him to say what he said?
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19217

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


Here is the current 700th ranked singles player:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/issam%20haitham-taweel/tc00/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issam_Haitham_Taweel

I guess she might be able to take that guy.


He'd destroy her imo.


I don't know. He's 5' 2" and has a career singles record of 2-5 at age 27. Serena might be competitive with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 4640
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
He's not wrong though.


Here is the current 700th ranked singles player:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/issam%20haitham-taweel/tc00/overview

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issam_Haitham_Taweel

I guess she might be able to take that guy.


He'd destroy her imo.


I don't know. He's 5' 2" and has a career singles record of 2-5 at age 27. Serena might be competitive with him.


He's probably quick as hell and her power shots are probably like the normal dudes he plays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 3337

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
BTW, it's not like Mac was saying that women's tennis was trash or something. He said she was the GOAT women's player. If anything his projection of 700 was very generous.

This "outrage culture" has to stop. He was just stating what everyone really knows if you compare men to women in tennis. If anything, blame the idiot interviewer.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OBPzN_ajXc

http://cdn.pinknews.co.uk/images/2015/03/gty_renee_richards_dm_130827_wmain.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19217

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:
It'd be cool to make an exception and actually let Serena test herself in a men tournament


Already kinda hapenned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch_vs._the_Williams_sisters

>1998 Australian Open
>Venus and Serena claimed they could beat any male payer ranked >200.
>Karsten Braasch (ranked #203) challenged both
>Braasch played a round of golf and drank 2 beers and then beat serena 6-1, and then beat Venus 6-2, back-to-back.
>Braasch said he played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"


Here is Braasch's account:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150307010545/http://observer.theguardian.com:80/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28529

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Men's game in grand slams are much longer. They play 5 sets vs the women who only play 3 sets. You basically have to allocate at least 4-5+ hours to watch the men's game vs at most 2 hours for the women's game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2820
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:
It'd be cool to make an exception and actually let Serena test herself in a men tournament


Already kinda hapenned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch_vs._the_Williams_sisters

>1998 Australian Open
>Venus and Serena claimed they could beat any male payer ranked >200.
>Karsten Braasch (ranked #203) challenged both
>Braasch played a round of golf and drank 2 beers and then beat serena 6-1, and then beat Venus 6-2, back-to-back.
>Braasch said he played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"


Here is Braasch's account:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150307010545/http://observer.theguardian.com:80/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html


"I felt so relaxed that I didn't even warm up properly."

roasted
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39660
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.


Of course, but not really my point.


To your point: Why do you think it was stupid of him to say what he said?


DI covered it pretty well. Nothing to be gained except for being baited by someone looking for a soundbite.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 27876

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Is Pat Summit the greatest coach in NCAA history?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB