John McEnroe pisses off Serena Williams + fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JerryMagicKobe
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Posts: 13626

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Underlying message: If you're a woman, you can be the best in the world at your job and some man will still try to talk (bleep) about you and devalue your accomplishments.

John McEnroe, once an (bleep), always an (bleep).


This sounds like someone who didn't see the video at all. Stop being bitter.


Thanks for the condescending, unsolicited advice and assessment of my emotional state.

Exhibit A for my above statement.


Except for your above statement was complete BS.


People are free to express their opinions. And others are free to disagree. But instead of simply disagreeing when I expressed mine, you told me I was bitter and that my opinion was BS. I don't appreciate the personal insults, got it?


Personal insult? You can say John McEnroe is a (bleep) but we're gonna draw the line at me saying you're bitter?

John McEnroe is the subject of this thread, so talking about him is fair game and all opinions are welcome.
ChefLinda is not the subject of this thread, so calling her a name is out of bounds and not welcome.

Discuss the post, not the poster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 38801
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
999 wrote:
how often do we see the gender wars with male and female athletes. and when the competition does allow a female to perform in the male competition the female fails miserably.

for ex: Michelle Wie


Conversely, Danika Patrick.


I wouldn't say that is a good example considering she hasn't won since 2008, won only 1 race at the top level in her professional career and on the verge of losing her NASCAR ride because of her non-competitiveness. I do think that auto racing is one of those sports where the differences between males and females are minimized such that they can compete on a fairly level playing field. Even in the motorsports world, I think the field where woman racers have really excelled is in the NHRA, they have seen a couple of women winning championships there.

_________________
"How could it get worse?" some Lakers fans asked . . .

"Hold my beer" said the Jeanie Magic Buss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 37725

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

I like Serena, greatest female player of all time in my opinion.

Venus in her own right has done amazing things, but Serena is just way out there with accomplishments.

As far as competing against men? Irrelevant, at least to me.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 38801
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I like Serena, greatest female player of all time in my opinion.

Venus in her own right has done amazing things, but Serena is just way out there with accomplishments.

As far as competing against men? Irrelevant, at least to me.


That covers it perfectly. Both Williams sisters have proven themselves in so many ways over the years. That's all that matters. Comparisons be damned.

Serena is the elite at what she does. That's not in doubt - not even from Mac.
_________________
"How could it get worse?" some Lakers fans asked . . .

"Hold my beer" said the Jeanie Magic Buss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I like Serena, greatest female player of all time in my opinion.

Venus in her own right has done amazing things, but Serena is just way out there with accomplishments.

As far as competing against men? Irrelevant, at least to me.


That covers it perfectly. Both Williams sisters have proven themselves in so many ways over the years. That's all that matters. Comparisons be damned.

Serena is the elite at what she does. That's not in doubt - not even from Mac.


Wow, DMR and I agree on something. It's a start right DMR? =)

This is why I feel like the interviewer should be getting more flack, if anything. She tried to take that conversation to a place that is not only irrelevant, but she essentially called Mac a sexist at the same tine forcing him in to a defensive position.

Not fair to Mac and not fair to Serena either. She basically used Serena there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 38801
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I like Serena, greatest female player of all time in my opinion.

Venus in her own right has done amazing things, but Serena is just way out there with accomplishments.

As far as competing against men? Irrelevant, at least to me.


That covers it perfectly. Both Williams sisters have proven themselves in so many ways over the years. That's all that matters. Comparisons be damned.

Serena is the elite at what she does. That's not in doubt - not even from Mac.


Wow, DMR and I agree on something. It's a start right DMR? =)


It's certainly a start for you.
_________________
"How could it get worse?" some Lakers fans asked . . .

"Hold my beer" said the Jeanie Magic Buss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 13000
Location: Morgantown, WV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Underlying message: If you're a woman, you can be the best in the world at your job and some man will still try to talk (bleep) about you and devalue your accomplishments.

John McEnroe, once an (bleep), always an (bleep).


This sounds like someone who didn't see the video at all. Stop being bitter.


Thanks for the condescending, unsolicited advice and assessment of my emotional state.

Exhibit A for my above statement.


Except for your above statement was complete BS.


People are free to express their opinions. And others are free to disagree. But instead of simply disagreeing when I expressed mine, you told me I was bitter and that my opinion was BS. I don't appreciate the personal insults, got it?


Personal insult? You can say John McEnroe is a (bleep) but we're gonna draw the line at me saying you're bitter?

John McEnroe is the subject of this thread, so talking about him is fair game and all opinions are welcome.
ChefLinda is not the subject of this thread, so calling her a name is out of bounds and not welcome.

Discuss the post, not the poster.


There was no name calling from me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 38801
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Underlying message: If you're a woman, you can be the best in the world at your job and some man will still try to talk (bleep) about you and devalue your accomplishments.

John McEnroe, once an (bleep), always an (bleep).


This sounds like someone who didn't see the video at all. Stop being bitter.


Thanks for the condescending, unsolicited advice and assessment of my emotional state.

Exhibit A for my above statement.


Except for your above statement was complete BS.


People are free to express their opinions. And others are free to disagree. But instead of simply disagreeing when I expressed mine, you told me I was bitter and that my opinion was BS. I don't appreciate the personal insults, got it?


Personal insult? You can say John McEnroe is a (bleep) but we're gonna draw the line at me saying you're bitter?

John McEnroe is the subject of this thread, so talking about him is fair game and all opinions are welcome.
ChefLinda is not the subject of this thread, so calling her a name is out of bounds and not welcome.

Discuss the post, not the poster.


There was no name calling from me.


You should probably quit while you are behind.
_________________
"How could it get worse?" some Lakers fans asked . . .

"Hold my beer" said the Jeanie Magic Buss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Underlying message: If you're a woman, you can be the best in the world at your job and some man will still try to talk (bleep) about you and devalue your accomplishments.

John McEnroe, once an (bleep), always an (bleep).


This sounds like someone who didn't see the video at all. Stop being bitter.


Thanks for the condescending, unsolicited advice and assessment of my emotional state.

Exhibit A for my above statement.


Except for your above statement was complete BS.


People are free to express their opinions. And others are free to disagree. But instead of simply disagreeing when I expressed mine, you told me I was bitter and that my opinion was BS. I don't appreciate the personal insults, got it?


Personal insult? You can say John McEnroe is a (bleep) but we're gonna draw the line at me saying you're bitter?

John McEnroe is the subject of this thread, so talking about him is fair game and all opinions are welcome.
ChefLinda is not the subject of this thread, so calling her a name is out of bounds and not welcome.

Discuss the post, not the poster.


There was no name calling from me.


You should probably quit while you are behind.



Going back to Linda about how a man will devalue a woman accomplishments despite how great she is at her job or sport.

I agree with this. However that same man that does that is probabally not very intelligent and has no sophistication thus he will get 0 respect from someone like me and I will not take anything that person says seriously.

For ex: trump,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 18391

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Going back to Linda about how a man will devalue a woman accomplishments despite how great she is at her job or sport.

I agree with this. However that same man that does that is probabally not very intelligent and has no sophistication thus he will get 0 respect from someone like me and I will not take anything that person says seriously.

For ex: trump,


You should take this to The Political Thread. You aren't talking about McEnroe or his comment. Instead, you are tossing out bait for a political discussion that will end up badly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 2341
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject:

Venus Williams accidentally kills a guy with her car

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/venus-williams-says-she-heartbroken-fatal-florida-crash-160923544--ten.html
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 27570

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Venus Williams accidentally kills a guy with her car

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/venus-williams-says-she-heartbroken-fatal-florida-crash-160923544--ten.html


Why do you have to qualify the victim's gender?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 5354

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


Regardless, it was a stupid thing to say. Mac should have just said, "All I know is she would wipe the court with me", which she would.


I would hope she'd be able wipe the floor with a 58 year-old retiree. I still think John might take a game or two.


Of course, but not really my point.


To your point: Why do you think it was stupid of him to say what he said?


Johnny Mac didn't give the PC answer. Thats why people are ticked off at him.


I'm glad J Mac didn't give a PC response. Too much PC already.
He spoke the truth.
The fans are just that .. fans.
Like what the man said or not he spoke from a sport he knows a lot about.
Female athletes are great but they do NOT parallel with male athletes in the same level. Why is this even a slight and why would she even respond, and why would the reporter even ask such a lame question.


I don't know where the best female athlete ever ranks in the men's rankings but I know it's not near the top ... those are FACTS. SERENA and her fans back off you don't have anything to stand on here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 18391

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

This was a tempest in a teapot and (to mix metaphors) it blew over. The tennis community knew that McEnroe likes Serena and that he wasn't trying to belittle her. No one in the tennis community wants to get into comparing women's players to men's players. This was just a case of internet road rage and people (including me) reacting to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

i wasn't enraged because what he said is true and i thought quite frankly common sense. i mean, unless people didn't know men's sports divisions are more competitive than their counterpart.....

i just expected a better framed response i guess. and i acknowledge maybe that is too PC of me.

but like if magic said candace parker is the greatest female basketball player of all time. then was asked why do you say female, he responded well lets be honest she couldn't beat smush parker or the worst bench warmer in the men's league......i would just want more from an elder statesman of the game.

iono i think it irked me more the people who jumped up and down to defend the veracity of mcenroe's comment, when that part was totally irrelevant to me since i thought it was accepted knowledge and besides the point.

but that part became the focal point. then it kind of devolved into battle of the sexes and political correctness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 18391

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
iono i think it irked me more the people who jumped up and down to defend the veracity of mcenroe's comment, when that part was totally irrelevant to me since i thought it was accepted knowledge and besides the point.


I would have thought so, too, but apparently not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB