OFFICIAL BROOK LOPEZ THREAD (Signs 1 yr deal with Bucks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

He wasn't the best center but he was serviceable. After Hibbert and Moz, he looked like an all-star. Now we have to rely on McGee, rejected by the rim, as our big in the middle. This is such a big disappointment. I was really counting on having Lopez back. I was thinking playing alongside Lebron might increase his 3-pt fg and revitalize his career but that's all out the window now.

Kevin Love is a career 37% 3-point shooter while Brolo is 34.5%. If Love could look like an all-star playing alongside Lebron, I'm sure Brolo would too. If you guys are ok with not siging Brolo, then you're ok with McGee/Mo as our starting center, which I think could be another Moz/Hibbert. It would severely limit our potential.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KAJtheGOAT wrote:
Why are we loosing legit players like Randle & Lopez ☹️

I'm reserving judgment on roster decisions until they're really done making moves around training camp time - but those players really helped LA take that leap this year that made them an attractive option.

Playing devil's advocate, Brook didn't exactly seem like the best fit for Luke's style of play and vice versa for much of the season and he sat out an awful lot of 4th quarters. That's more of a potential explanation for why the two sides decided to split, but still, at 3.5M for one year...you should probably be getting that deal done any way you can if you're the Lakers. Apparently they must've been very honest with these guys as to what their role is going to be on the team going forward, to have turned them off so much about staying...

Looking at it from the players' POV, if you're taking a one-year paycut (and the economic risk that comes with it) just to get to summer 2019 and the bundles of cap space it offers, you damn sure better be sold on getting consistent minutes to showcase your ability this season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

This might signal Melo, which I would be concerned about tbh.

Looks like it’s Javale/Zu/Wagner/Lebron sharing the minutes at 5.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

With how much they love Kuz, I don't expect a Melo signing unless Lebron really pushes for it. And I'm not so sure how badly he wants to play with another over-the-hill banana boat friend after his experience last season with Wade. It sounds more like they're in wait-and-see mode because of Kawhi, rather than saving a spot for Melo.
#DeathMetalMatters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

With how much they love Kuz, I don't expect a Melo signing unless Lebron really pushes for it. And I'm not so sure how badly he wants to play with another over-the-hill banana boat friend after his experience last season with Wade. It sounds more like they're in wait-and-see mode because of Kawhi, rather than saving a spot for Melo.

100% agree. I believe the Lakers are content with the roster as currently constructed. Now that doesn't mean they won't make a move to improve if it becomes available, but they're now in a position to wait out any situation.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Would have prefered to bring Brook back, but clearly that wasn't the Lakers' strategy.

Small ball has become a dominant strategy in the league. Teams run true bigs off the floor. The only point where it makes sense to commit to a (non-star) true big is in the earlier parts of games. The reason for that is foul trouble risk. There is a lot of contact in the post and you don't want the other team to be able to play a big that gets your smaller lineup in foul trouble early.

As the game goes on, risk of fouling out goes down and the pendulum swings to small ball. These days that happens pretty quickly. If your team strategy is going to be pace, playmaking, switching and spacing, you don't invest much if anything in the true big category. McGee gives you a mobile anchor who can give you 18 mpg, Zubac is a big body that excels with a true PnR ball handler and Wagner appears to be a good spacer. But what this is really saying is that you're committing to playing forwards at the five a significant amount of time. That's going to be interesting in certain matchups.

Starting Centers, Western Conference:
Nurkic, Adams, Gobert, Davis, Towns, Joikc, DeAndre, Gortat, WCS, Marc, Pau, Ayton, Capela, Draymond

Starting Centers, Select Eastern Conference:
East: Embiid, Horford, Jonas, Turner

If we're talking playoffs, Adams, Gobert, Davis and Embiid (East) are the ones we would be hard pressed to match up with (discounting others like Nurkic b/c I think we beat them anyway). Perhaps they expect there to be Centers on the buyout market.

If our strategy will be to be a small ball fast breaking team, we still have to outrebound the other team to get our break going. If Kuzma or Lebron is playing at the 5 sometimes I wonder if we'll have enough rebounding to be a real good team.

The Lakers were one of the top rebounding teams in the league, which makes the criticisms about his rebounding ironic. His lack of rebounding didn't hurt the team in playing with pace since they were also at the top in that stat as well.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Man, I liked Brook, but more because of him being a good guy than anything he did on the court. I thank him for not being Hibbert, but I think we'll be ok without him.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KAJtheGOAT wrote:

I'm reserving judgment on roster decisions until they're really done making moves around training camp time - but those players really helped LA take that leap this year that made them an attractive option.

Playing devil's advocate, Brook didn't exactly seem like the best fit for Luke's style of play and vice versa for much of the season and he sat out an awful lot of 4th quarters. That's more of a potential explanation for why the two sides decided to split, but still, at 3.5M for one year...you should probably be getting that deal done any way you can if you're the Lakers. Apparently they must've been very honest with these guys as to what their role is going to be on the team going forward, to have turned them off so much about staying...

Looking at it from the players' POV, if you're taking a one-year paycut (and the economic risk that comes with it) just to get to summer 2019 and the bundles of cap space it offers, you damn sure better be sold on getting consistent minutes to showcase your ability this season.

Actually, the reverse is true. Brook is a stretch 5. He was ideal for the offense. His bread and butter is in the post, sure, but feasted down there as well on occasion. The reason he sat out of 4th quarters wasn't because of his offense. It was because he can't switch. That's why every team goes small down the stretch. McGee will be on the bench too during 4th quarters.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KAJtheGOAT wrote:

Actually, the reverse is true. Brook is a stretch 5. He was ideal for the offense. His bread and butter is in the post, sure, but feasted down there as well on occasion. The reason he sat out of 4th quarters wasn't because of his offense. It was because he can't switch. That's why every team goes small down the stretch. McGee will be on the bench too during 4th quarters.

I don't think all stretch 5s are made the same. Brook can shoot the three, but it's best utilized as a supplementary part of his game, not the strength. His 34-35% 3-point shooting percentage in the last two years is average, and it's no surprise his TS% was close to a career low when we pushed him outside so much. Like you said, his post game is his bread and butter. And defense is half of the equation, and not every team employs a switching defense as much as we did last season. So I definitely wouldn't say the marriage was ideal.
KAJtheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
55 wrote:
I wont be losing sleep over this. Was never a fan of his weak game, a center who can't grab a rebound. And worst of all, he never knew when to stop shooting when his shot was off. Some players need to keep shooting when they miss, he isn't one of them players.

From the available options Lopez was not a bad one, who else is out there as a Center
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Would have prefered to bring Brook back, but clearly that wasn't the Lakers' strategy.

Small ball has become a dominant strategy in the league. Teams run true bigs off the floor. The only point where it makes sense to commit to a (non-star) true big is in the earlier parts of games. The reason for that is foul trouble risk. There is a lot of contact in the post and you don't want the other team to be able to play a big that gets your smaller lineup in foul trouble early.

As the game goes on, risk of fouling out goes down and the pendulum swings to small ball. These days that happens pretty quickly. If your team strategy is going to be pace, playmaking, switching and spacing, you don't invest much if anything in the true big category. McGee gives you a mobile anchor who can give you 18 mpg, Zubac is a big body that excels with a true PnR ball handler and Wagner appears to be a good spacer. But what this is really saying is that you're committing to playing forwards at the five a significant amount of time. That's going to be interesting in certain matchups.

Nurkic, Adams, Gobert, Davis, Towns, Joikc, DeAndre, Gortat, WCS, Marc, Pau, Ayton, Capela, Draymond

If we're talking playoffs, Adams, Gobert, Davis and Embiid (East) are the ones we would be hard pressed to match up with (discounting others like Nurkic b/c I think we beat them anyway). Perhaps they expect there to be Centers on the buyout market.

just to add to this, if we're going to have a true big..we rather a really athletic guy like mcgee that can be used in and out of the lineup..instead of guys who expect to play set minutes and are kinda slow..the Lakers should have a great pace.
KAJtheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Judah wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KAJtheGOAT wrote:

I don't think all stretch 5s are made the same. Brook can shoot the three, but it's best utilized as a supplementary part of his game, not the strength. His 34-35% 3-point shooting percentage in the last two years is average, and it's no surprise his TS% was close to a career low when we pushed him outside so much. Like you said, his post game is his bread and butter. And defense is half of the equation, and not every team employs a switching defense as much as we did last season. So I definitely wouldn't say the marriage was ideal.

With all that being said still there isn’t any other 5 player who could fill in for Lopez
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject:

KAJtheGOAT wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Judah wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KAJtheGOAT wrote:

With all that being said still there isn’t any other 5 player who could fill in for Lopez

I wholeheartedly agree.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

If our strategy will be to be a small ball fast breaking team, we still have to outrebound the other team to get our break going. If Kuzma or Lebron is playing at the 5 sometimes I wonder if we'll have enough rebounding to be a real good team.

The Lakers were one of the top rebounding teams in the league, which makes the criticisms about his rebounding ironic. His lack of rebounding didn't hurt the team in playing with pace since they were also at the top in that stat as well.

Has any of Lebrons teams have any trouble rebounding the basketball?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

If McGee could play more than 18 or 20 minutes per game, we'd be fine.

I don't like the thought of LeBron banging down low against other teams' 5's at Center the way Randle did, if we want LBJ to last 4 years with us. He's 34 not 24 like Randle. And we have a much better role for LeBron James at the 4, and if not 4 then at the 3 ffs.

Kuzma at Center? I don't think he's strong enough to expend a lot of minutes in that role, but he could do in short spells or against less physically imposing centers.

Mo Wagner - he looks like he could do well some day, but he's a long shot to be NBA ready even at the 4, much less the 5 role. He'd get eaten alive imo.

Unless we make some roster changes we're going to be asking a lot of Zubac night in and night out, against a wide variety of opponents this season. Who knows, he might be a pretty reasonable choice with a little more endurance.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

As for Brook Lopez, I really liked him, but his best advantage for us was how he could play alongside Randle, so Julius could take the post on offense with Brook stretching the floor, and Lopez could provide a big body on defense allowing Randle to defend all the way to the perimeter. They were good in combination, and with Randle gone, that does diminish the advantage Brook Lopez gave us.

I wish him luck in his new bb home.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I would welcome him back in the future...great teammate!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

(bleep).

Thought this team could really use his shooting. Not horrible to have a place to throw the ball in the post either, when dinosaur ball breaks out for a few minutes at a time.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Good luck, Brook. You were a good guy and teammate.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Nice guy but his value was the expiring contract. When his 3 wasnt falling he wasn’t contributing anything else. Mo is already a better rebounder
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Nice guy but his value was the expiring contract. When his 3 wasnt falling he wasn’t contributing anything else. Mo is already a better rebounder

Dang. Couldn't just say: we wish you the best on your future endeavors?
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

What are these guys doing?

Now all serviceable centers are off the board. Who is going to play center for us this year?

Maginka hit big with Lebron and flopped big time after that. They should be getting an A this off season but now they are getting close to a C. You had the chance to get Dwight, Boogie or Brook and you screed it all up. Now they are better off not signing any big.

Very disappointed in them.
Mustaine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
What are these guys doing?

Now all serviceable centers are off the board. Who is going to play center for us this year?

Maginka hit big with Lebron and flopped big time after that. They should be getting an A this off season but now they are getting close to a C. You had the chance to get Dwight, Boogie or Brook and you screed it all up. Now they are better off not signing any big.

Very disappointed in them.

Disappointed?

How many players who are better than Lebron James did we sign on the last 20 years? How many SG's better than Stephenson? How many PG's better than Rondo?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

we missed our chance to possibly claim we have 4 All Stars on the court.....Lebron, Rondo, Melo and Brook.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

Brook. Whatever you do, don’t go to a CVS with Sterling Brown (Shannon’s Brother) at 2 am. You’ll get tased for no good reason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 55 of 56
Jump to: