OFFICIAL BROOK LOPEZ THREAD (Signs 1 yr deal with Bucks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
GT calling him Crook Lopez 😂

Broke Lopez?

Seriously, if he accepted a MLE for next year, would you guy re-sign him?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject:

Damn, Brook. Just dropped you on my fantasy team for (bleep) Dario Saric. Well done!
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

The good part about his downturn is that his salary next year will go down.
He is at the end of his career, and is slow.

But if he can bring it for a few games he will be worth a reasonable investment.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

The Brooke has run dry.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
The Brooke has run dry.

you win

LOL
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

I think he would be lucky to get a 12m/year deal at this point. He's slowing down (was slow to begin with).

If we don't get Boogie, I can see him being interested in staying in LA for a small bridge deal next year and then bird-right deal after (which would be small too).
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Just like Mozgov before him, the time of the slow footed 7 footer has passed.

We need a big guy when we play the 76ers and the Pels but most of the time he is just too slow to operate in today's small ball NBA.

I think he does try hard and he does well contesting shots in the paint so those are in his favor, but I think a faster guy like Jules is the future at that position.

It is fine, we mainly got Brook because his contract is up after this season. I do not anticipate that we will re-sign him.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

BRYANT is our future starting center
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
GT calling him Crook Lopez 😂

Broke Lopez?

Seriously, if he accepted a MLE for next year, would you guy re-sign him?

If we can sign Cousins and keep Randle, probably not. Otherwise, yes, he could give us 15-20 minutes off the bench.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

I know that this probably applies to a lot of players, until I feel Lopez could hit 35% of his three ball attempts, I’m pretty sure the Lakers’d have three to five more victories.

When he is hitting threes, this offense looks damn, damn good.

Makes you wonder what this team’d look like if there was a consistent deep threat there at the starting center position.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I know that this probably applies to a lot of players, until I feel Lopez could hit 35% of his three ball attempts, I’m pretty sure the Lakers’d have three to five more victories.

Makes you wonder what this team’d look like if there was a consistent deep threat there at the starting center position.

are there any starting centers who really fit that bill though?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

“Starting centers” is just semantics though. To me Randle isn’t the Center on this team. What I’m talking about is a guy can play 15-20 minutes a game as a placeholding starting center (who can shoot).

It doesn’t have to be a “starter” in the traditional sense of the word, just someone who can fill the role of three point shooting center, a role that, when filled, makes this offense sing.

I’d bench Lopez (and Nance) and try just about any jumpshooter with a pulse who can guard 60% of the starting centers of the league in his place.

Thomas Bryant? Luol Deng? Mike Muscala? He’ll, Ryan Kelly?

Basically anyone who can make 35% of his threes. Maybe that can still be Lopez, and that’d be fine too.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

“Starting centers” is just semantics though. To me Randle isn’t the Center on this team. What I’m talking about is a guy can play 15-20 minutes a game as a placeholding starting center (who can shoot).

It doesn’t have to be a “starter” in the traditional sense of the word, just someone who can fill the role of three point shooting center, a role that, when filled, makes this offense sing.

I’d bench Lopez (and Nance) and try just about any jumpshooter with a pulse who can guard 60% of the starting centers of the league in his place.

Thomas Bryant? Luol Deng? Mike Muscala? He’ll, Ryan Kelly?

Basically anyone who can make 35% of his threes. Maybe that can still be Lopez, and that’d be fine too.

channing frye is the only guy I can really think of
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Spencer Hawes could be had off the scrap heap.

I don’t think Hawes is a better basketball player than Lolz, but he might be a better shooter, and that’s the skill this team most needs from the guy keeping the spot warm for Randle.

I’d LOVE to see Deng there, as many of you all know. I think he’d really, really surprise folks.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

isn't deng like a 30 percent 3 point shooter though
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

He’s a career 33% shooter from three. His last two years I never Miami, the last time he’s actually had a role on a team, he shot 35% from three.

I’d start him at Center against 60-75% of the league and start Lopez for the other 25-40%.

I believe that simply switching out Lopez for Deng (if he can shoot 35% from three) would change the complexion of this offense ... and it’d raise hismtrade value to boot.

Win, win.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
at this point he's just an expiring contract. Hopefully some team out there is willing to give us a second rounder for his services.

We would have to take back at least $15.5 mil in salary
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

He’s a career 33% shooter from three. His last two years I never Miami, the last time he’s actually had a role on a team, he shot 35% from three.

I’d start him at Center against 60-75% of the league and start Lopez for the other 25-40%.

I believe that simply switching out Lopez for Deng (if he can shoot 35% from three) would change the complexion of this offense ... and it’d raise hismtrade value to boot.

Win, win.

since I love you so much joe I will support your plan for a sample size of 3 games
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think he would be lucky to get a 12m/year deal at this point. He's slowing down (was slow to begin with).

If we don't get Boogie, I can see him being interested in staying in LA for a small bridge deal next year and then bird-right deal after (which would be small too).

I don’t see why we would be interested. He does well contesting shots. Maybe use him like GS uses Zsa Zsa, and at similar salary.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don’t see why we would be interested

I think the assumption is that as long as he trusts the Laker front office to resign him in 2019 it would be the best available deal. Given the market has limited cap room, low demand for non-elite Centers, a strong group of free agent centers and draft prospects, and Brook will be 30 at the time of free agency, it stands to reason he may not have a long list of suitors. Add to that his regression this year, especially in shooting the long ball which he didn't have a long history at being good at, and the market may not be kind.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think the assumption is that as long as he trusts the Laker front office to resign him in 2019 it would be the best available deal. Given the market has limited cap room, low demand for non-elite Centers, a strong group of free agent centers and draft prospects, and Brook will be 30 at the time of free agency, it stands to reason he may not have a long list of suitors. Add to that his regression this year, especially in shooting the long ball which he didn't have a long history at being good at, and the market may not be kind.

If they tell him they’ll resign him in 2019 to a more lucrative deal, at this point, they’d be telling a boldface lie. If he sign for the one year 4.5 million room exception, it’ll be for one year with nothing promised after that.

He still might take it for the chance to play on a legit winner, something he’s never really experienced.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

I personally don't think he's lost a step on offense and he's been pretty good on defense (surprisingly, given what the common perception of him has been and the "soft" label since he entered the league). It's just that he doesn't seem to fit our system, if you can even call it that. Luke wants the guys to run, run, run, and that's when we're at our best, especially with the smaller, more hyperactive bench units. That's not Brook's game.

And with the starters, there's not enough shooting and overall structure to make it work, either. It still often devolves into ISOs and improv situations where guys are passing up open outside shots to attack the basket and freewheeling plays. In a more organized offense with better spacing, Brook could still put up 20 a game. The only emphasis they put on him in our offense is forcing post-ups, which is one of the more inefficient forms of scoring in today's league to begin with and even worse given our limited spacing. Too often it seems like he's going nowhere with his moves and only getting in the way of others. And though improved, he's not a good enough shooter to be relying on spot-up opportunities has his primary form of offense, nor does it seem to be drawing much defensive attention to open up things for his teammates.

Unless Luke is magically going to implement an above average offensive scheme and has a tree full of shooters growing in his backyard, this looks like an obvious trade waiting to happen and I hope that's the direction the FO is thinking about going right now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We will show him endless loops of Disneyland tours while he weeps and signs the room exception.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We will show him endless loops of Disneyland tours while he weeps and signs the room exception.

I rather use the room exception on a player who can Improve our shooting.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

I really wonder if he is injured, if his back is acting up. Its pretty amazing how poorly he is playing considering he was on fire a couple of weeks ago.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 33 of 56
Jump to: