OFFICIAL BROOK LOPEZ THREAD (Signs 1 yr deal with Bucks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

This honestly reminds me of the Pau trade. At a time when there where literally endless rumors, we were hearing names like Boozer, Jermaine O'neil, Baron Davis, and Mitch swoops in and gets a guy nobody really saw coming who is going to fit like a glove and do a lot more for us than expected. Plus at the time it was obvious we killed the Grizz on that trade but Marc still turned into a star so we'll see.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Also, am I the only one who thinks he plays like a C version of Paul Pierce
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

On offense, Brook Lopez plays a lot like the 31-34 yr old version of Tim Duncan to me. Watching that Lopez youtube video, you can easily imagine Duncan in his place making those exact old man moves. Not the threes though. The amount of 3s Lopez made last yr is shocking
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
On offense, Brook Lopez plays a lot like the 31-34 yr old version of Tim Duncan to me. Watching that Lopez youtube video, you can easily imagine Duncan in his place making those exact old man moves. Not the threes though. The amount of 3s Lopez made last yr is shocking

This. I think people haven't realized yet that we already have an all star here. Furthermore it baffle me the DCousins Max Talk to substitute this guy
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

It's kind of amazing that Lopez is probably our best player by a wide margin in addition to being a home town product and one of the best personalities among players in the league, and his official player thread is only 7 pages a month after he joined the team.

He's probably going to be our most important player in half court offense, whether it's on the block, Pick and Pop, or face up from 15'. This guy is legitimately a really good basketball player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
It's kind of amazing that Lopez is probably our best player by a wide margin in addition to being a home town product and one of the best personalities among players in the league, and his official player thread is only 7 pages a month after he joined the team.

He's probably going to be our most important player in half court offense, whether it's on the block, Pick and Pop, or face up from 15'. This guy is legitimately a really good basketball player.

Agreed. Have followed Brook out here since his rookie days. Very likeable and good player. A bit sad that he's probably a rental.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Agreed. Have followed Brook out here since his rookie days. Very likeable and good player. A bit sad that he's probably a rental.

I totally agree. Though I'm not ready to assume he's a rental at this point. If he really pops with this team, especially as a compliment to Lonzo that fact in conjunction with the really soft market for quality Centers makes me a little more confident that he could be back. I get the 2Max thing and still believe there's a way to do that while keeping our Full MLE which should be competitive for Brook if you give years. Then there's also the fact that it shouldn't surprise anyone if we don't actually end up with two max players next year. I would be more than fine with something like Paul George and Lopez while keeping enough flexibility to make a run at Klay in 2019.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

His third party PPD (posts per day) is kinda low, which doesn't bode well for advanced stats like ETDPM (eye test discussion plus minus), but we'll see
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/HQ4CvumDYvU

All 3 pointers from this past season. A few notes:

+ He shoots a super easy shot, almost a set shot.
+ Centers are awful at closing out. They don't even TRY on half of these. Look at where the opposing center is on all these makes.
+ That includes his brother Robin lol.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Going into the offseason, he was the guy I wanted to be our starting C. Just not for DLo

As I was saying before we even got Lopez, he will help Ball out a lot.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Russell would have been a good fit with Ball but I think some people are writing off the Brook Lopez acquisition only because everyone knows he's here for 1 year unless we strike out in FA, but this guy can basically get you anywhere from 20/25PPG with solid rim protection and a nice shooting range. Russell has much more potential then Lopez but as of now Lopez brings much more Impact to the team then Russell unless Russell ends up going bonkers next year with Brooklyn, the short term of this deal benefits the Lakers and Brooklyn won't be getting any FAs to come unlike the Lakers who seem confident about landing stars next summer.

Brooklyn will be a good team in the future but we might potentially be a dynasty.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Russell would have been a good fit with Ball but I think some people are writing off the Brook Lopez acquisition only because everyone knows he's here for 1 year unless we strike out in FA, but this guy can basically get you anywhere from 20/25PPG with solid rim protection and a nice shooting range. Russell has much more potential then Lopez but as of now Lopez brings much more Impact to the team then Russell unless Russell ends up going bonkers next year with Brooklyn, the short term of this deal benefits the Lakers and Brooklyn won't be getting any FAs to come unlike the Lakers who seem confident about landing stars next summer.

Brooklyn will be a good team in the future but we might potentially be a dynasty.

Agreed

I was also watching KCP highlights, the dude can flat out run the floor, he is also a good fit next to Ball and should help us improving our defense.

Lopez can compensate for the loss of shooters providing lanes for Ingram and Julius that we wouldn't have with a center down low and shooters just from the guard position.

Not comparing talent, but I believe the roster construction is better now.

I don't know if it is just me, but if Kuzma plays anywhere near the lever he played at summer league he is going to make the rotation helping us even further with our space while he can also attack closeouts.

I think Julius is going to play a lot of minutes at small ball C this season.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

As a side note, I did meet his brother at the D23 Expo who was dressed up as Robin Hood.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I never like to give you the slightest bit of credit, like never, but you're right.

As much as I was a little fan boy of DLO (bought a block of 32 games thinking he was going to show the F last year), the fact is that this coming year Lopez is the better player.

Worst case we got 1 year out of him and Kumza (though he probs would have been there at 28). Best case, we sign LeBron and PG and then convince Lopez to stay on on the cheap. Lopez/Bron/Ingram/PG/Lonzo//Nance/Kuzma/Hart + Vets... oh my.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't usually agree with I G but when I do I'm (bleep) up off of Dos Equis lol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

All 124 of Brook Lopez' blocks from last season:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWb_85LhZfw&feature=youtu.be

He tied for 8th overall in BPG.
alexamerling43
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I'm excited about adding Brook. I think he will have a great season. He can hit the 3 and gives us somewhat of a rim protector. It wouldn't be a bad plan C to resign him and KCP if we strike out on PG and Lebron (which hopefully we don't).
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

DK wrote:
https://youtu.be/HQ4CvumDYvU

All 3 pointers from this past season. A few notes:

+ He shoots a super easy shot, almost a set shot.
+ Centers are awful at closing out. They don't even TRY on half of these. Look at where the opposing center is on all these makes.
+ That includes his brother Robin lol.

Beginning at the 48 second mark, Brook's 4 3 pointers against the Lakers are shown. Mozgov's reaction is priceless.

--Anonymous
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

alexamerling43 wrote:
Honestly, I'm excited about adding Brook. I think he will have a great season. He can hit the 3 and gives us somewhat of a rim protector. It wouldn't be a bad plan C to resign him and KCP if we strike out on PG and Lebron (which hopefully we don't).

It kinda sucks that the Lopez thread only has 7 pages but that tells you how hard it is to stomach taking on 1 year deals when you know that player has practically no future with the team but right now Lopez is 20X better then Russell unless Russell all of a sudden develops a IQ and plays consistent basketball which is unlikely or else we would have kept him.

Seriously there is a lot of players Lopez is better then. LMA is 1 guy that Lopez is better then right now and probably some more bigs in the WC.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Brooks also brings veteran leadership and a wealth of experience that should not be underestimated or overlooked. He's a true professional.

I would love to see him make the All-Star team. I think it's possible.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
All 124 of Brook Lopez' blocks from last season:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWb_85LhZfw&feature=youtu.be

He tied for 8th overall in BPG.

I'm somewhat amazed at the number of times he blocks a shot and it ends up in his hands. He controls those exceptionally well. 124 blocks looked like about 100 fastbreak opportunities with Lonzo.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Nets full game vs. Magic. Lopez with 22 points and 5 blocks.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

Hang Time Podcast: Most underrated moves of NBA summer
Sekou Smith, Listen on Apple Podcasts | Listen on iHeart Radio

Quote:
The NBA offseason has finally quieted down after a month-plus of non-stop action. So we take a moment to look back at some of the most underrated moves of the summer with our main man John Schuhmann.

Highlights below:

3:00 minute mark -- on Lakers' addition of Brook Lopez:

“I think Lopez is going to be a really good fit on this team.”

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/08/03/hang-time-podcast-most-underrated-moves-summer-2017
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

I will encourage you all to read Emplay's latest article. There is a reference to a possible scenario where Lopez can sign for the room exception for 1 year (2018/19, $4.3m) while we go after our 2 max guys. The year after, the Lakers can use his bird rights to go over the cap and sign him for much higher.. say $60m plus for 3 years. No guarantees he goes for that though.. this is just a scenario.

Given that, I can see Lopez staying for the following reasons:

1. There is not much of a center market out there; Deandre Jordan and Cousins will be given offers before Lopez. Moreover, I do not see rebuilding teams offering a 30 year Lopez the max - that's basically Brooklyn all over again. Contending teams will not have the money for him.

2. He is from LA and all indications show he would like to remain here

3. The chance to play on a contending team featuring 2 other max guys and our amazing young talent

4. The Lakers have his bird rights for subsequent years and can make up the difference for what he might lose in a year (wink wink deal)

In other words, my dream line-up for 2018/19:

C- Lopez, Zubac, Bryant
F - Lebron, Nance
F- Ingram, Kuzma, Brewer
G - PG13, Hart, Wade (min?)
G - Ball, Ennis

Last edited by Zubolo on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
I will encourage you all to read Emplay's latest article. There is a reference to a possible scenario where Lopez can sign for the room exception for 1 year (2018/19, $4.3m) while we go after our 2 max guys. The year after, the Lakers can use his bird rights to go over the cap and sign him for much higher.. say $60m plus for 3 years. No guarantees he goes for that though.. this is just a scenario.

Given that the following reasons, I can see Lopez staying:

1. There is not much of a center market out there; Deandre Jordan and Cousins will be given offers before Lopez. Moreover, I do not see rebuilding teams offering a 30 year Lopez the max - that's basically Brooklyn all over again. Contending teams will not have the money for him.

2. He is from LA and all indications show he would like to remain here

3. The chance to play on a contending team featuring 2 other max guys and our amazing young talent

4. The Lakers have his bird rights for subsequent years and can make up the difference for what he might lose in a year (wink wink deal)

In other words, my dream line-up for 2018/19:

C- Lopez, Zubac, Bryant
F - Lebron, Nance
F- Ingram, Kuzma, Brewer
G - PG13, Hart, Wade (min?)
G - Ball, Ennis

Not the favorite but a contending team right there
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 7 of 56
Jump to: