OFFICIAL BROOK LOPEZ THREAD (Signs 1 yr deal with Bucks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Brook can't defend in space which is usually the case with huge people like him. But he's a good starting option and good for 26-28mpg even with 2 max players. I don't see him finishing many games though.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Brook can't defend in space which is usually the case with huge people like him. But he's a good starting option and good for 26-28mpg even with 2 max players. I don't see him finishing many games though.

The point is that we don't have a better option.

Julius is one of the worst players of the entire league defending shooters (I'm talking about stats). Lopez major concern as defender is in ISO situations, he is surprisingly a decent pick and roll defender with length to bother shooters while shooting over Julius is an easy task.

It makes no sense comparing Lopez situation to Mozgov situation, they are two completely different centers and we have other PG to feed Lopez and other SG may be able to help with guard penetration and switches.

I expect an improved Brandon Ingram and hopefully better versions of Nance and Julius too.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

https://thesportspost.com/nba-top-50-brook-lopez/
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The point is that we don't have a better option.

Julius is one of the worst players of the entire league defending shooters (I'm talking about stats). Lopez major concern as defender is in ISO situations, he is surprisingly a decent pick and roll defender with length to bother shooters while shooting over Julius is an easy task.

It makes no sense comparing Lopez situation to Mozgov situation, they are two completely different centers and we have other PG to feed Lopez and other SG may be able to help with guard penetration and switches.

I expect an improved Brandon Ingram and hopefully better versions of Nance and Julius too.

Don't teams typically start to rely on isos a lot more towards the end of games.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

SLAM Top 50: Brook Lopez, No. 48
The 7-footer heads home after a career year.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/brook-lopez-slam-top-50-2017/#mBPooOSMIaiGCk8c.99

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-brook-lopez-ranks-no-48-in-slam-magazines-top-50-players/2017/09/06/
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

He's probably in the Top 5-7 centers in the NBA right now. Should be higher.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

That alone should highlight the sad state of bigs in the NBA.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject:

I rank him 15-20 @Center also 48 sounds about right to me.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He probably isn't even a top 10 center if you go through the names.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

Who is better than Lopez?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

10th PER
12th BPM
12th WS

10-12 seems to be accurate.

It may not sound good, but we have to keep the perspective that we traded away the:
26th guard
36th center

to get:
10th center
Summer League leading scorer among rookies at 21.9 PPG on .639 TS% and .48 3P%

One can say Lopez is a one year rental and we could have Kuzma at 28, but I'd say it is mainly OUR choice to keep Lopez and who knows about drafting Kuzma? This deal guaranteed us one more first round pick and one second round pick.

Lopez may not be a top 5 center in NBA, but he is the best center we have since Pau Gasol, his long range shooting can open the floor for players like Randle and Ingram and his boxing out and rim protection are also very complementary to Julius Randle skillset, I believe he is a great fit in Luke's system, better than several centers ranked above him.

The time will tell if I'm right, the stats show the increase in talent and I believe the games are going to show a huge increase in how the parts
fit together, one of my main critics about the previous front office.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

Brooks does have some #'s. He is the 2nd highest scoring center, made most 3 point shots by far with the 4th highest 3 pt %, 4th highest FT %, 3RD in assists, 4th in blocked shots. There really is no talent at the center position.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject:

Lay out the centers. First we'll start with who's better than Lopez

DeMarcus Cousins
Karl Anthony-Towns
Marc Gasol
Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert

Afterwards is the likes of..
Hassan Whiteside, Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Al Horford, Myles Turner, maybe Joel Embiid, Dwight Howard, Valanciunas, Jusef Nurkic

How many of them are better than Lopez? Not by reputation, by actual play and skillset.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

DeMarcus Cousins
Karl Anthony-Towns
Marc Gasol
Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert

Hassan Whiteside, Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Al Horford, Myles Turner, maybe Joel Embiid, Dwight Howard, Valanciunas, Jusef Nurkic

How many of them are better than Lopez? Not by reputation, by actual play and skillset.

When health Embiid is a monster
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

DeMarcus Cousins
Karl Anthony-Towns
Marc Gasol
Nikola Jokic
Rudy Gobert

Going by rpm Lopez is the 15 best center and most of the guys you listed have higher rpms.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

I expect his numbers to shoot up with Lonzo at the point. I realize everyone is saying this about virtually every player on the team, but Brook's skill set is uniquely tailored to Lonzo's passing strengths.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

Lonzo will inflate everyone's stats similar to the Dantoni system effect. IF our team can commit to D then we'll be a legit playoff threat. Tall order
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I expect his numbers to shoot up with Lonzo at the point. I realize everyone is saying this about virtually every player on the team, but Brook's skill set is uniquely tailored to Lonzo's passing strengths.

Brook is pretty much a dream pairing for Jules. Provides spacing from 3 and midrange, and will have strong gravity for opposing bigs. They can't simply drop down and protect the rim like they did when Moz/Hibbert were here.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

If both him and Randle play well, both would take low $ for 1 year for a longer bigger $ next year, can we sign both after 2 max of we have to pick one of them?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Brook is pretty much a dream pairing for Jules. Provides spacing from 3 and midrange, and will have strong gravity for opposing bigs. They can't simply drop down and protect the rim like they did when Moz/Hibbert were here.

This is probably an outlandish statement at this point, but Lonzo's the best post entry passer I've ever seen. Particularly over fronts, he's like dropping them in a bucket from over 20 feet. The fact that we went out and got one of the few really good post players in this league for him to utilize this ability was a master stroke by management, even if it's only for a season.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
If both him and Randle play well, both would take low $ for 1 year for a longer bigger $ next year, can we sign both after 2 max of we have to pick one of them?

Not understanding the question.

Theoretically possible that Jules takes the QO, and Brook takes the room exception (though not likely). Then yes, we would have full Bird rights to re-sign them in 2019 as an over-the-cap team. We'd also have the full MLE in 2019 to get a quality rotation player too. 2019 is the year i have penciled in as the year we would be contending for a title. Warriors would have to start worrying about extending Klay, and the 5 years of making the Finals may take its physical and mental toll.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Oops, I misread your statement regarding Jules, Yinoma. Are they a great fit? I dunno. Brook can space the floor, but Randle can't post-up or roll.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

Theoretically possible that Jules takes the QO, and Brook takes the room exception (though not likely). Then yes, we would have full Bird rights to re-sign them in 2019 as an over-the-cap team. We'd also have the full MLE in 2019 to get a quality rotation player too. 2019 is the year i have penciled in as the year we would be contending for a title. Warriors would have to start worrying about extending Klay, and the 5 years of making the Finals may take its physical and mental toll.

that answers it. we do have the space after stretchung Deng/trading JC and signing 2 max for Jules' QO and Brook room exception
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Oops, I misread your statement regarding Jules, Yinoma. Are they a great fit? I dunno. Brook can space the floor, but Randle can't post-up or roll.

The problem for Jules b/c of the issues you noted, was that Moz's or Hibbert's man would often drop to contest Jules at the rim.

With Brook, you aren't leaving him open for a jumper, period.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

that answers it. we do have the space after stretchung Deng/trading JC and signing 2 max for Jules' QO and Brook room exception

Let's say JC is traded out, and Deng is gone too (costly 2 future 1sts).

We could have around 68m in cap space.

We need around 65m or so for both LBJ/PG13 to get full max.

Jules QO is more than 3m, so it would require a slight cut from both players (or further trades).

Brook would then take the room exception. (not trying to debate whether he does/does not take it, just showing the functionality of it).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 13 of 56
Jump to: