Deng Status?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 5902
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Am I the only person who saw the thread title and wondered why we would be talking about a Deng statue?

I thought it was a clever way of saying "pile of dung"
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
acer77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 243

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

I just took a large Deng and flushed it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 29069
Location: Torrance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Well, the problem is not Deng but the fact that he was way overpaid.
Same with Mosgov. Together they were terrible contracts.

But if Deng can be a decent second string player, might as well try to get vaue out of him. If can somehow play him for two more years and stretch him the last year.

If he can play 15 min a game and get 7 pts, 3 rbs, and play decent defense that will lessen the pain of his contract.

But it seems foolish to give up a young asset to get rid of a bad contract. Stretching him after one more would be the best solution.
Next year will be another year of rebuilding. Why waste valuable assets?


Randle and Clarkson must go anyway, so at least try to unload Deng.


This is completely false....

We can sign 2 max players and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The key is unloading Deng without bringing any salary back.


We need David Copperfield as our GM.
_________________
Smash-mouth basketball - Officially Dead (2014-2017)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1369

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Well, the problem is not Deng but the fact that he was way overpaid.
Same with Mosgov. Together they were terrible contracts.

But if Deng can be a decent second string player, might as well try to get vaue out of him. If can somehow play him for two more years and stretch him the last year.

If he can play 15 min a game and get 7 pts, 3 rbs, and play decent defense that will lessen the pain of his contract.

But it seems foolish to give up a young asset to get rid of a bad contract. Stretching him after one more would be the best solution.
Next year will be another year of rebuilding. Why waste valuable assets?


Randle and Clarkson must go anyway, so at least try to unload Deng.


This is completely false....

We can sign 2 max players and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The key is unloading Deng without bringing any salary back.


We need David Copperfield as our GM.


Without Deng, we will have $47m in salary next including all cap-holds.

We could find a way to make it work to bring in say PG13 + Cousins and keep Clarkson and Randle.

Without Clarkson, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Randle. Without Randle, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Clarkson.

They key will be unloading Deng, which we will be able to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

This thread reminds me of Nick Young's thread from last summer, how we would be forced to add an asset to a trade to get rid of him. Then he had a great year and will now get paid again. Deng may yet surprise us.
_________________
Chick Hearn and Vin Scully. How lucky are we?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 6738

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Deng status = currently undervalued.

His cap implication for LA and his very poor year have his value significantly negative but he's a better player than that. The contract is too big but the idea he isn't worth some major portion of that is untrue. A moderate revival this season will swing his value a lot, especially as he plays a position/role of importance in the current NBA.
_________________
2-3-7-14 Los Angeles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2862

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Well, the problem is not Deng but the fact that he was way overpaid.
Same with Mosgov. Together they were terrible contracts.

But if Deng can be a decent second string player, might as well try to get vaue out of him. If can somehow play him for two more years and stretch him the last year.

If he can play 15 min a game and get 7 pts, 3 rbs, and play decent defense that will lessen the pain of his contract.

But it seems foolish to give up a young asset to get rid of a bad contract. Stretching him after one more would be the best solution.
Next year will be another year of rebuilding. Why waste valuable assets?


Randle and Clarkson must go anyway, so at least try to unload Deng.


This is completely false....

We can sign 2 max players and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The key is unloading Deng without bringing any salary back.


We need David Copperfield as our GM.


Without Deng, we will have $47m in salary next including all cap-holds.

We could find a way to make it work to bring in say PG13 + Cousins and keep Clarkson and Randle.

Without Clarkson, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Randle. Without Randle, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Clarkson.

They key will be unloading Deng, which we will be able to do.


You forgot to.mention clearing Clarkson, and Randle will also do it since Deng is not moveable right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1369

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Well, the problem is not Deng but the fact that he was way overpaid.
Same with Mosgov. Together they were terrible contracts.

But if Deng can be a decent second string player, might as well try to get vaue out of him. If can somehow play him for two more years and stretch him the last year.

If he can play 15 min a game and get 7 pts, 3 rbs, and play decent defense that will lessen the pain of his contract.

But it seems foolish to give up a young asset to get rid of a bad contract. Stretching him after one more would be the best solution.
Next year will be another year of rebuilding. Why waste valuable assets?


Randle and Clarkson must go anyway, so at least try to unload Deng.


This is completely false....

We can sign 2 max players and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The key is unloading Deng without bringing any salary back.


We need David Copperfield as our GM.


Without Deng, we will have $47m in salary next including all cap-holds.

We could find a way to make it work to bring in say PG13 + Cousins and keep Clarkson and Randle.

Without Clarkson, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Randle. Without Randle, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Clarkson.

They key will be unloading Deng, which we will be able to do.


You forgot to.mention clearing Clarkson, and Randle will also do it since Deng is not moveable right now.


Deng will be easily moveable next summer with 1 or 2 1st round pick attached to him.

Would much rather keep Randle and trade a 1st round pick with Deng then lose Randle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2862

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Well, the problem is not Deng but the fact that he was way overpaid.
Same with Mosgov. Together they were terrible contracts.

But if Deng can be a decent second string player, might as well try to get vaue out of him. If can somehow play him for two more years and stretch him the last year.

If he can play 15 min a game and get 7 pts, 3 rbs, and play decent defense that will lessen the pain of his contract.

But it seems foolish to give up a young asset to get rid of a bad contract. Stretching him after one more would be the best solution.
Next year will be another year of rebuilding. Why waste valuable assets?


Randle and Clarkson must go anyway, so at least try to unload Deng.


This is completely false....

We can sign 2 max players and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The key is unloading Deng without bringing any salary back.


We need David Copperfield as our GM.


Without Deng, we will have $47m in salary next including all cap-holds.

We could find a way to make it work to bring in say PG13 + Cousins and keep Clarkson and Randle.

Without Clarkson, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Randle. Without Randle, we can easily sign 2 max players and keep Clarkson.

They key will be unloading Deng, which we will be able to do.


You forgot to.mention clearing Clarkson, and Randle will also do it since Deng is not moveable right now.


Deng will be easily moveable next summer with 1 or 2 1st round pick attached to him.

Would much rather keep Randle and trade a 1st round pick with Deng then lose Randle.


Most would, but unfortunately Randle wants money too thus why he might have to go too because we need about $60-$65 mil freed for two max players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Posts: 2797

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Deng status = currently undervalued.

His cap implication for LA and his very poor year have his value significantly negative but he's a better player than that. The contract is too big but the idea he isn't worth some major portion of that is untrue. A moderate revival this season will swing his value a lot, especially as he plays a position/role of importance in the current NBA.


Which role would that be, inefficient stretch four? He hasn't been above league-average in 3PT shooting since 2011-12. His defense, while once great, is now decidedly subpar. And if history has taught us anything, it's that getting older always helps a player whose athleticism and production has fallen off a cliff. Deng is done as starter or above-average contributor. We just have to eat the money until we can move him elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kava
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 1417

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Deng status = currently undervalued.

His cap implication for LA and his very poor year have his value significantly negative but he's a better player than that. The contract is too big but the idea he isn't worth some major portion of that is untrue. A moderate revival this season will swing his value a lot, especially as he plays a position/role of importance in the current NBA.


Agreed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 4634
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Last I heard he was on Ventura Blvd. getting a tattoo on each arm, one of Mick Jagger and one of Keith Richards. Luke said Deng needed a set of stones if he wanted to play more minutes..... I read that joke in ESPN awhile back.

My guess is that Deng will play better this next season. All boats should rise with a pass first PG, including Deng's. With better numbers, I think it will be easier to move him, and I wouldn't be surprised if Deng's agent will look to see if he can find Deng another team situation for 2018.
_________________
If you don't like the Lakers in re-build mode, I suggest you take your whiny skinny butt to the Clippers bandwagon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8228
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Let's hope Dang, oops I mean Deng plays AWESOME up until the trade deadline (next season)...!

As I think I can speak for most everyone here when I say I prefer his status to be:

Deng: No longer a Laker...!

Thanks Mitch & Jimbo...!
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 2862

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Let's hope Dang, oops I mean Deng plays AWESOME up until the trade deadline (next season)...!

As I think I can speak for most everyone here when I say I prefer his status to be:

Deng: No longer a Laker...!

Thanks Mitch & Jimbo...!


They said you're welcome remember 9 years of chasing him and they got him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 127

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Call me an optimistic but I'm fully on the Deng bounce back year bandwagon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 8535

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
I just took a large Deng and flushed it.


That's nothing in comparison to what we're waiting for, a Woj bomb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RusselDoeee01
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 619

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

bls wrote:
Call me an optimistic but I'm fully on the Deng bounce back year bandwagon.


I don't even think Deng had a bad year. lakers fans just complained about anyone that wasn't under 20 years old that was taking away playing time from them lol.

Deng could have dropped 20 a game and fans woulda complained about him. Ie... Lou Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 5786

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
bls wrote:
Call me an optimistic but I'm fully on the Deng bounce back year bandwagon.


I don't even think Deng had a bad year. lakers fans just complained about anyone that wasn't under 20 years old that was taking away playing time from them lol.

Deng could have dropped 20 a game and fans woulda complained about him. Ie... Lou Williams


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 4870

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

bls wrote:
Call me an optimistic but I'm fully on the Deng bounce back year bandwagon.


This is s rebuilding year. I hope we don't waste any minutes on Deng. Id give more mins to randle/Nance/kuzma
_________________
Now Playing: The Zo Show @Staples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13162

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

If a player ends up missing/kidnapped and whereabouts unknown, what happens? Does the player stay on the roster?
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . Paul . Brandon . Lebron . Julius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

lakerlynx wrote:
This thread reminds me of Nick Young's thread from last summer, how we would be forced to add an asset to a trade to get rid of him. Then he had a great year and will now get paid again. Deng may yet surprise us.


The funny thing is that Deng is one year younger than LeBron and the same age as Nick Young. Here's to hoping that Deng has something still left in the tank.
_________________
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2001
Posts: 2655

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Jiggling Jello wrote:
lakerlynx wrote:
This thread reminds me of Nick Young's thread from last summer, how we would be forced to add an asset to a trade to get rid of him. Then he had a great year and will now get paid again. Deng may yet surprise us.


The funny thing is that Deng is one year younger than LeBron and the same age as Nick Young. Here's to hoping that Deng has something still left in the tank.


There has been rumors that Deng is older then his listed age. Plus who's minutes are you willing to sacrifice so Deng can try to regain his game? This guy is done. Stick a fork in him. He was suppose to provide leadership but it was really Brewer that provided the leadership.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 299

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

philly could use more leadership since their goal is the playoffs this year
_________________
speak it into existence
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Travis Bickle wrote:
Jiggling Jello wrote:
lakerlynx wrote:
This thread reminds me of Nick Young's thread from last summer, how we would be forced to add an asset to a trade to get rid of him. Then he had a great year and will now get paid again. Deng may yet surprise us.


The funny thing is that Deng is one year younger than LeBron and the same age as Nick Young. Here's to hoping that Deng has something still left in the tank.


There has been rumors that Deng is older then his listed age. Plus who's minutes are you willing to sacrifice so Deng can try to regain his game? This guy is done. Stick a fork in him. He was suppose to provide leadership but it was really Brewer that provided the leadership.


He'll probably still be the main backup to Ingram and might get some spot minutes at PF in a small ball lineup with Randle at center. To fit in with what the Lakers are trying to do, awarding minutes should be meritocracy-based. If Deng ends up outplaying some of the young players, he should get minutes. If not, he can just rot on the bench and possibly get traded to some other team with hopefully not that many assets.
_________________
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13162

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

If Luol Freaking Deng gets SF minutes again this year, I'mma have to choke a Luke.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . Paul . Brandon . Lebron . Julius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB