Deng Status?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
Deng/Clarkson for Wade. Do it Mitch!

Would be nice. Although it wouldn't shock me to see Deng actually contribute on this Laker squad and become a bit more tradeable next summer with only 2 years to go not 3.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't think so. Russell is a #2 pick, who averaged 16 ppg last year and is 21 years old. He may not become a star but he's a legitimate NBA starter.

Kuzma is a #27 who is a year older than Russell. He's just another guy fighting for any kind of playing time. He had a great summer league, but there are a lot of guys working in 7-11 who had a great summer league.

I could be wrong, but I like Kuzma way better than Russell now and going forward.

Comparing contract numbers going forward? Than it is even more of a landslide towards Kuzma.

Most GMs in the NBA would not trade Kuzma for DLO straight up right now, trust me.

I agree and have suggested that from here on out the transaction that included DLO should be referred to as the Kusma Trade.

Last edited by kevin61 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't think so. Russell is a #2 pick, who averaged 16 ppg last year and is 21 years old. He may not become a star but he's a legitimate NBA starter.

Kuzma is a #27 who is a year older than Russell. He's just another guy fighting for any kind of playing time. He had a great summer league, but there are a lot of guys working in 7-11 who had a great summer league.

I could be wrong, but I like Kuzma way better than Russell now and going forward.

Comparing contract numbers going forward? Than it is even more of a landslide towards Kuzma..
Most GMs in the NBA would not trade Kuzma for DLO straight up right now, trust me.

I agree and have suggested that from here on out the transaction that included DLO should be referred to as the Kusma Trade
Tiez
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
If Mitch and Jim wanted to mail it in for 3 or 4 years, I wish they would have taken a bad contract with an asset attached like what Brooklyn did

Jim and Mitch started this monstrosity.

So trade him to Jim and Mitch for a jar of pickles and a pair of flip-flops

But seriously, I hope the staff finds Deng some sort of role on the team. Hopes are not high though, as the PF spot is loaded and L.D. is not really fit to play the SF anymore.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Tiez wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
If Mitch and Jim wanted to mail it in for 3 or 4 years, I wish they would have taken a bad contract with an asset attached like what Brooklyn did

But seriously, I hope the staff finds Deng some sort of role on the team. Hopes are not high though, as the PF spot is loaded and L.D. is not really fit to play the SF anymore.

There are a lot of good young forwards on this team that need game experience. Aside from being on the downhill side of his career, every minute Deng spends on the court is a minute our future talent isn't.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Comparing contract numbers going forward? Than it is even more of a landslide towards Kuzma.

I get the enthusiasm: He had a great summer league.

Now we'll see what happens in real games against better players.

Hope he does well.
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Tiez wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
chantruong wrote:

There are a lot of good young forwards on this team that need game experience. Aside from being on the downhill side of his career, every minute Deng spends on the court is a minute our future talent isn't.

Exactly. I fully expect Deng to flourish playing PF with Lonzo at the helm. Hell, I suspect he'll be better than Kuz at this point.

However, the guy isn't part of our long term plan. We shouldn't waste valuable minutes to him when we're loaded with talented young forwards looking to prove themselves.
ricardoJPC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject:

Just play deng at the 3
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

I suppose it's possible that we could get Deng enough minutes to showcase him and show that he has something left. But the most likely outcome will be that he plays very little. Unless injuries really pile up, I see him riding the pine.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Deng will get minutes, but they will be backup SF minutes.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
I suppose it's possible that we could get Deng enough minutes to showcase him and show that he has something left. But the most likely outcome will be that he plays very little. Unless injuries really pile up, I see him riding the pine.

Let's hope he agrees to a buyout at some point.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

ricardoJPC wrote:
Just play deng at the 3

That's one of the reasons he was so awful last year. He's exclusively a 4 now
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

I hope Jim and Mitch left LA.

They should be exiled from LA the duration of
the Deng contract. And after LA gives it first round pick
to Boston.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

A buyout is the same as stretching him.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
I hope Jim and Mitch left LA.

They should be exiled from LA the duration of
the Deng contract. And after LA gives it first round pick
to Boston.

They lost all their LA privileges. When they gone...they STAY gone, or they BE gone... Mitch pulls up on a chopper. Jim gets on and asks who's chopper it is as they speed away.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

A buyout is the same as stretching him.

Correct. There's no need for that this year since his cap space is already taken into account. We're stuck with him. Next year we stretch his 36mil for five years at 7.2 per year. This frees up about 11mil.
Other than sending an asset to sweeten things like we did with DLo, there's no other choice. The trade talk is just foolishness, his contract is radioactive..
dengman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
2020 Lakers Unprotected First
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Pelinka be the shark that you are!

kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Never in a million years will this occur. There is a greater likelihood of a second ice age beginning tomorrow.
dengman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Never in a million years will this occur. There is a greater likelihood of a second ice age beginning tomorrow.

Why not?
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Why not?

You've added Zubac to the scenario since I quoted you.

In that scenario I wouldn't do it from the Lakers perspective. Unless you think his erratic Summer League play will continue, which I don't, Zubac is a high value asset. At 1.4 mil, he is being paid less than what he would receive as a free agent. This means he has a positive value. His positive value, added with the first round pick, is far greater than the 7.2 mil in cap savings
dengman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Why not?

In that scenario I wouldn't do it from the Lakers perspective. Unless you think his erratic Summer League play will continue, which I don't, Zubac is a high value asset. At 1.4 mil, he is being paid less than what he would receive as a free agent. This means he has a positive value. His positive value, added with the first round pick, is far greater than the 7.2 mil in cap savings

If Zubac is the difference between a "3rd" star joining the team.... then he would be the sacrificial lamb now that they can groom Thomas Bryant who fits Walton's style a little more.....
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
It is not Deng fault that Jim and Mitch gave him such a stupid contract. Everyone knew right away that the Deng and Moz contracts were horrible.

Deng can play some defense, he can run the floor and he can can play the 3 or 4 spot. His outside shot over his career was slightly below average. If does come in with a chip on his shoulder he would see to be a decent fit scheme wise for this team.

I would love it if we could rebuild his trade value due to him becoming a solid contributor. As I write this it seems like total insanity but I think back to Nick Young and think anything is possible. Heck I even ended up liking Nick Young last year. So best case is he contributes. If he were to contribute at the level of his past he is better than Nance and his past performance was on par with Randles with probably better defense.

I don't really think there is enough lipstick to pretty Deng up but he could surprise us and come in a win a spot in the rotation. That is what would be best. Not sure how long you can stretch the last 2 years but if it is over 4 years we are still looking at 8.5m per year against cap. It guess that would be better than giving up a lot to trade him.

Kuzma is really looking good can you package him with Deng? Is that too much? We will have options but none of them are very good.

Yikes. I would hate to give up Kuzma with Deng. At this point I would rather give up Randall, Nance, or Zubac--or perhaps even two of them.
Yeah (bleep) that guy, doesn't even deserve to have his last name spelled correctly
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Why not?

If Zubac is the difference between a "3rd" star joining the team.... then he would be the sacrificial lamb now that they can groom Thomas Bryant who fits Walton's style a little more.....

He wouldn't be, three max guys would require 90 plus million in cap space, which won't be happening. Two guys is all that's needed.
dengman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mission Impossible sans Cruise

kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
dengman wrote:
Utah:
Jordan Clarkson

Lakers:
Joe Johnson
Dwyane Wade

Chicago:
Deng
Zubac
(2) 2nds from Lakers
(1) 2nd from Utah

Why not?

He wouldn't be, three max guys would require 90 plus million in cap space, which won't be happening. Two guys is all that's needed.

I didn't say max but a 3rd all star type player, it is plausible LBJ or another player would take a few million less to assemble a team to beat the Warriors. Kevin Durant has already set a precendence.....

If it was 7.2 for one year then maybe ooook but for 5, yeaaaa NO
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I hope our backup power forward is getting his lungs conditioned.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: