Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Does it help by challenging the player or does it hinder by putting too much pressure especially on such a young team?

Magic expects Ball to start breaking all if not most of his records. He's expressed that he would be really disappointed if Ingram doesn't score over 20 points this season.

Guess it depends on the player. Ball I'm sure is fine because he's had so much pressure since his childhood. Ingram, not so sure about him yet.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nashlight wrote:
Does it help by challenging the player or does it hinder by putting too much pressure especially on such a young team?

Magic expects Ball to start breaking all if not most of his records. He's expressed that he would be really disappointed if Ingram doesn't score over 20 points this season.

Guess it depends on the player. Ball I'm sure is fine because he's had so much pressure since his childhood. Ingram, not so sure about him yet.

Wait until NEXT season.

PG13 meeting, Magic will say he expect Lakers to get into the Finals and beat the East.

LeBron meeting, Magic will say he expects Lakers to 3-peat immediately.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

I actually think Brandon has really high expectations for himself. In all his interviews, he talks about working hard and getting to where he needs to be to lead this franchise to wins. He definitely has the work ethic and drive. He's all about basketball.

It definitely depends on the player though. Some thrive off of it and some falter. DLo in his rookie year was a victim of it. Less pressure on Brandon as a rookie probably because many of us knew he just wasn't physically ready and more raw than DLo.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nashlight wrote:

I agree that Ball will be fine. He's had pressure before, and I think he can shake off any nerves he does have this season.

I'm actually not too worried about Ingram buckling under pressure either. I just don't think his body and offensive repertoire is ready to make that 20 ppg leap. Perhaps next year.

I'm excited to see how this young group gels this season, though. It looks like Randle is ready to run!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

PG13 meeting, Magic will say he expect Lakers to get into the Finals and beat the East.

Interesting point. LeBron doesn't seem the type who'd like any kind of pressure especially at this point in his career.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

Magic's job is 2 fold, 1. improve the talent on the team to make them as competitive as possible and 2. excite the fanbase to buy tickets and merchandise to make the team as profitable as possible

I think he has done a fantastic job of both since he took over
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

I'll take high expectations over low expectations.
I'll take high expectations over "realistic" low expectations.

Who said it here?
Aim for the stars! If you stumble and fall, you might have the sun in your hand. Aim for the trees, and you have a tree.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Who said it here?
Aim for the stars! If you stumble and fall, you might have the sun in your hand. Aim for the trees, and you have a tree.

BINGO!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

Magic is doing the right thing, if these guys aren't performing at a high level.. then FAs might not take us seriously, we need to start winning and the winning starts next year.

We need Ingram and Ball playing at a near all star level if we want to Impress LeBron and George.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

I don't mind it, honestly. He's just trying to restore. the high expectations that the Lakers always had, before 2014.

Last edited by True Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nashlight wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

Interesting point. LeBron doesn't seem the type who'd like any kind of pressure especially at this point in his career.

That's why Kyrie takes all the clutch shots.

But for real, LeBron's not the type who wants more challenges put in his plate. LeBron is already proven. Magic putting all these high expectation on him like he does these "unproven" kids is not going to bode well with the King.

With that said, I still hope he comes to the Lakers.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Magic is a hype man, this is what he does.

!...
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

I think Magic's goal is just to create excitement around the Lakers. I think he's done that.

Really the only goal this year should be to look good enough where two max FAs can envision themselves teaming up and contending here.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Any metropolitan is a pressure cooker. The NBA by nature is a profession that's very public. Certainly, certain cities & tv schedules lend for increased scrutiny and pressure.

I parallel playing on the Lakers to being a racehorse. Keep your head down, sprint towards your goal, and keep your blinders on. The moment you get caught up in the pressure or distractions of LA (turn your head as a racehorse) - you drop off as a young player.

I think veterans & certain younger players are much better suited for the big city life than others. For some, it's better to be in a Milwuakee, Orlando, Indiana where there isn't much to do besides watch TV & movies, eat and play basketball.

You also have to deal with LA thots which can be destructive if you're too caught up in it.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

This is the Lakers we're talking about! Of course everyone has high expectations.

Speaking for myself, "Hell yeah"! Each season, I expect Larry O'Briens the coming June.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

But for real, LeBron's not the type who wants more challenges put in his plate. LeBron is already proven. Magic putting all these high expectation on him like he does these "unproven" kids is not going to bode well with the King.

(Fast forward to Summer 2018)

Lakers Press Conference Introductory for LeBron James

----

Pelinka: "Thank you everyone for coming. This man we're going to introduce needs no introduction. We'd like to welcome 3-time NBA Champion and MVP LeBron James to the Los Angeles Lakers."

LeBron: "Thank you Rob..."

Magic: "We got the King baby!"

LeBron: "Thank you Magic. First, I'd like to say..."

Magic: "The King! Three time -- M. V. P.!"

LeBron: "Haha, thanks Magic! First I'd like to..."

Magic: "And -- Three. Time. World. Champion, LeBron James woo!"

LeBron: "Haha, um I'd just like to say thank you to the Laker's organization and..."

Magic: "Lonzo running the middle, LeBron on the wing... mmm-mmm-mmm!"

LeBron: "Haha, I uh..."

Magic: "The new faces of the Lakers!"

LeBron: "..."

Magic: "God is good!"

LeBron: "...I guess that's all I have to say."

Pelinka: "Okay we can take some questions now. Over there, Jim Hill?

Hill: "Welcome James, what can Laker's fans expect from you this season?"

LeBron: "Lakers fans can expect..."

Magic: "Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven..."

_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers can actually surprise some people this year and finish perhaps 10th in the west. If I was to just throw an off the top of the head standing out there.

Lonzo/Ennis
KCP/Clarkson/Hart
Ingram/Brewer
Randle/Nance/Kuzma/Deng (something needs to be done here)
Lopez/Zu/Bryant

Would like to see them add a lead guard or wing.

If Lonzo and Ingram can get in 60+ games, I think they can get 20+ wins. I say their max potential is about 35 games or so. I think this could be a realistic goal.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Jordan-esque wrote:

----

Pelinka: "Thank you everyone for coming. This man we're going to introduce needs no introduction. We'd like to welcome 3-time NBA Champion and MVP LeBron James to the Los Angeles Lakers."

LeBron: "Haha, um I'd just like to say thank you to the Laker's organization and..."

_

This wins LG for the day
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

If you aim for the Sun, at least if you missed, you'd land on the Moon. There's nothing wrong with overly high expectations. Ball is a baller. He looked so comfortable in SL so I expect him to have the same level of comfort out there during regular season. Surpassing Magic in his rookie year would be somewhat difficult because Magic had a championship team around him while Ball will be playing with youngins but I still expect Ball to have an awesome year. Three more looong months and counting...
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Jordan-esque wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

----

_

omg
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Who said it here?

Well the sun is a star so....
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If you aim for the Sun, at least if you missed, you'd land on the Moon. There's nothing wrong with overly high expectations. Ball is a baller. He looked so comfortable in SL so I expect him to have the same level of comfort out there during regular season. Surpassing Magic in his rookie year would be somewhat difficult because Magic had a championship team around him while Ball will be playing with youngins but I still expect Ball to have an awesome year. Three more looong months and counting...

You can just as easily vastly exceed low expectation or (realistic expectations) as you can seriously crumble over high expectations (unrealistic expectations).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

Lebron would just tell him that people have him ranked all time over Magic.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson's High Expectations this Season

Jordan-esque wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Wait until NEXT season.

----

_

Classic! You forgot to add one thing.

Pelinka: "You guys know I love to tell stories"
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Magic is a hype man, this is what he does.

Yep, and I'm fine with it as long as no one, including Magic, starts taking it too seriously.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: