Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
I'm not a fight fan... but I am pretty shocked as well.

Horn kept headlocking/grabbing Pac and throwing (what seemed like) some cheapshots at Manny every 30 seconds. Is that even legal? What a mess.

Noticef that also. I guess it must be allowed because other than the ref saying "try not to do that" there seems to be no penalty.

Yea... plus two "accidental" headbutts that opened Pac up.
Yea, they might have been inadvertent, but the guy seemed to be lunging forward everytime he threw a punch... he was bound to connect with a headbutt or an elbow.. and he did... multiple times.

Like I said... I'm not even a big boxing/fight fan and I could tell something just looked off about his technique.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't watch the fight but i'm not surprised that some say it was rigged. There wasn't much promotion for the fight and that's coming from someone who lives in The Philippines.

At this point Manny should just hang it up. There's literally nothing for him to prove now in terms of boxing accolades.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I thought the Ref was horrible, he allowed Horn to man handle Pacy, to hold and hit, to hit on the break, he was slow to break them, just an horrible Ref...!
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
This makes the Timothy Bradley robbery against Manny look like a reasonable decision. The ref almost stopped the fight in the 9th he was getting beat so bad. The Compubox stats reflect that domination and Manny loses unanimously?

Yea I mean he literally said he was going to call it if he didn't show him something. That's a bold statement that doesn't get made to a guy in the lead, which he had to be if he won by 5pts on one card.

Forget about money regarding rigging, this comes across as a desperate cry for help. The sport was reduced to depending on blatant controversy to get anyone to talk about it, using a free fight to do so. It's being sold as a Rocky come to life, but nobody will remember it as that. The only thing more desperate would be for the sport to do a Rocky 3 where the champ fights someone from a different sport. Hey at least they haven't stooped that low......right?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

That's the first boxing match I've watched in years. I thought Pacquiao won, but the result did not shock me. Horn took it right to him, and judges have always tended to favor the aggressor. Horn's face was a mess, but he landed some fairly heavy shots on Pacquiao, too.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

To be the champ, you have to beat the champ... not survive it

Pacquiao got robbed again
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Looks like the house won
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
I couldn't watch the fight but i'm not surprised that some say it was rigged. There wasn't much promotion for the fight and that's coming from someone who lives in The Philippines.

At this point Manny should just hang it up. There's literally nothing for him to prove now in terms of boxing accolades.

The speed is no longer there. Manny in his prime would've KOed him. Would've never gone to the judge's decision.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's the first boxing match I've watched in years. I thought Pacquiao won, but the result did not shock me. Horn took it right to him, and judges have always tended to favor the aggressor. Horn's face was a mess, but he landed some fairly heavy shots on Pacquiao, too.

Yeah man, the first 8 rounds I wasn't watching with commentary cause I was talking to the family but all I saw was Horn being aggressive and pushing his pace, sure it looked sloppy, but he looked very aggressive.

I can very well see those rounds going to Horn (not that I agree I thought Pac won the fight). In other words, I'm not surprised it was given to Horn. Pac should've really tried winning the last 2 rounds to seal the fight. Don't know why so many people are so shocked.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Looks like the house won

/endthread
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
paolomagma wrote:

The speed is no longer there. Manny in his prime would've KOed him. Would've never gone to the judge's decision.

Manny hasn't KO'd anyone since 2009. He's obviously not the same guy, which is precisely why Floyd Mayweather finally fought him when he did.

I don't think Manny dominated him, even though I had it 115-112 for him and thought he won the fight. I did note that I could see a judge not giving Pacquiao a 10-8 in round 9 since there wasn't a knockdown, and I did say that I could see how a close round that I thought Pacquiao won could've been reversed. That would've made the fight a 114-114 draw. Even flipping one other close round would give it to Horn 115-113, which is how 2 judges saw it. I don't think that is even egregious. But 117-111 suggests something shady. There's just no way that anyone that understands boxing should've seen that fight that way. The guy was aggressive but he wasn't landing many punches.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Dirty fight made worse by the robbery decision. This is another reason why boxing is dying, and MMA is taking over.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Dirty fight made worse by the robbery decision. This is another reason why boxing is dying, and MMA is taking over.

boxing is actually experiencing a huge comeback.

GGG - Canelo is going to be huge..

and Mayweather - McGregor will be even bigger..

both boxing matches.. probably biggest in history.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Mayweather/McGregor is a joke, only an idiot would spend $$$ on that.

GGG/Canelo will be a great fight though.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

there's going to be lots of idiots.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

Judging by how much money Mayweather has made in the last few years you may be right.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject:

this is really a robbery as pacquiao should have won. not only pacquiao landed more punches and won more rounds, Horn should have been deducted points for illegal tactics. round 9 should be also a 10-8 round.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: