Parents who forced vegan diet on baby that died sentenced to 6 months

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Parents who forced vegan diet on baby that died sentenced to 6 months

A bit older news but this made my blood boil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4510762/Baby-dies-parents-fed-gluten-free-diet.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/baby-dies-diet-parents-convicted-lucas-dendermonde-belgium-malnutrition-dehydration-a7790916.html

Quote:
A malnourished seven-month-old baby has died weighing just 9lbs after his parents fed him a gluten-free diet which included quinoa milk.
They mother and father ran a natural food store in their home town of Beveren, near Antwerp, and their son's diet, described by doctors as unsuitable, led to him being less than half the expected weight for a boy his age.
An autopsy showed his stomach was totally empty and despite the baby gasping for air in the days leading to his death, the parents never thought to seek medical attention. A prayer card was found in his nappy.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Sadly there was a case just like this a few years back. They fed the baby apple juice and soy milk only
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject:

death is better than being vegan tbqh
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:

How did the parents arrive at the idea that natural human breast milk wasn't the absolute best thing to drink for their baby?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

I just wanted to point out that the child died of malnutrition, neglect and ignorant parents, not a vegan diet per se.

Carry on.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
death is better than being vegan tbqh
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I just wanted to point out that the child died of malnutrition, neglect and ignorant parents, not a vegan diet per se.

Carry on.

Malnutrition caused by an inappropriate diet aka vegan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

C'mon. There was clearly much more at play here than veganism.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

Had those parents not sought out a vegan diet, alternative medicines, etc, then that baby would still be alive.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

you mean stupidity?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
How did the parents arrive at the idea that natural human breast milk wasn't the absolute best thing to drink for their baby?

We've only been surviving for hundreds of thousands of years that way. Totally not natural.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

So died of malnutrition that was not caused by the neglect of this vegan diet idea. Ok.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

axs wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

So died of malnutrition that was not caused by the neglect of this vegan diet idea. Ok.

Did you miss the part about the empty stomach? It's not what they were feeding him, it's that they weren't feeding him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
axs wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Carry on.

Did you miss the part about the empty stomach? It's not what they were feeding him, it's that they weren't feeding him.

The empty stomach was what occurred when they drove cross country to a homeopathic doctor who then sent them back to a hospital. The child was malnourished and underweight to begin with because vegetable milk does not have almost all the necessary nutrients a 1 year old would need.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

The parents were stupid, just like people who eat a regular diet can be stupid. There are successful ways to healthily nourish infants and children on a vegan diet. These people were too stupid/rigid/ignorant/whatever to figure it out. That's what caused their child's death.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Look, I have no idea how much infants or young children need animal-derived nutrients (whether directly or through the mother's diet,) but the attitude that some have in response to stories like this as if it's some strike against veganism in general, is stupid and a non-sequitur. As an adult, you don't get out of the ethical dilemma of consuming animal products by some parents being ignorant and neglectful about how they instituted their diet ideology on their young children.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Well said. You can't die from a Vegan diet. Idiot parents who deserve to go to prison for a long time.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The parents were stupid, just like people who eat a regular diet can be stupid. There are successful ways to healthily nourish infants and children on a vegan diet. These people were too stupid/rigid/ignorant/whatever to figure it out. That's what caused their child's death.

All of which are recommended only after the 1st year of birth unless diagnosed as an extreme case by a health professional. This child was under 1 year when they were implementing their idiotic ideas of homeopathy. This is a 7 month old that died, which means breast milk is absolutely necessary for proper nutrition. I forwarded this article to my former child nutrition professor at Columbia (I have a Masters in Nutrition) and she and almost all OB/Peds physicians agree.

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Eating_well_for_veg_infants_for_web.pdf

Quote:
Soya-based infant formula is suitable for
vegetarian infants, but should not be given to any
infants under 6 months of age, nor used as the
main milk drink for infants up to 1 year of age,
unless recommended by a health professional.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

All of which are recommended only after the 1st year of birth unless diagnosed as an extreme case by a health professional. This child was under 1 year when they were implementing their idiotic ideas of homeopathy. This is a 7 month old that died, which means breast milk is absolutely necessary for proper nutrition. I forwarded this article to my former child nutrition professor at Columbia (I have a Masters in Nutrition) and she and almost all OB/Peds physicians agree.

Quote:

They could have breast fed (or obtained donated breast milk - there are such options). I don't know what your point is except you seem to have a lot of anger for the word vegan. No one here is defending the parents. They were stupid and caused their child to die. Just like other stupid people who are not vegan do stupid things that cause their children to die.

The key word here is "stupid" not "vegan."

I am not pro or anti vegan. I'm pro-information and anti-disinformation and anti-stupidity.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

They could have breast fed (or obtained donated breast milk - there are such options). I don't know what your point is except you seem to have a lot of anger for the word vegan. No one here is defending the parents. They were stupid and caused their child to die. Just like other stupid people who are not vegan do stupid things that cause their children to die.

I am not pro or anti vegan. I'm pro-information and anti-disinformation and anti-stupidity.

My point is that the vegan diet is the direct cause of death. Yes, it was brought on by the stupidity of the parents but nevertheless, it shows the dangers of vegan diets on infants under 1 year of age. You are the one trying to claim that the child died of malnutrition, not a vegan diet, when the two are intertwined.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Look, I have no idea how much infants or young children need animal-derived nutrients (whether directly or through the mother's diet,) but the attitude that some have in response to stories like this as if it's some strike against veganism in general, is stupid and a non-sequitur. As an adult, you don't get out of the ethical dilemma of consuming animal products by some parents being ignorant and neglectful about how they instituted their diet ideology on their young children.

There is no ethical dilemma. It is an inescapable reality that most everything we do causes damage to other animals. We all consume animal products, and use animals in various products. You can't live in this society without taking advantage of animals in someform of another. Or by destroying some form of animals.

The people who think that because they partake in a certain diet can sidestep this, are (bleep) delusional.

There's nothing wrong with some form of conservation, but this high and mighty delusional religious fervor in diet is completely misplaced.

You can live and pretend that your diet doesn't cause harm to other animals, but that doesn't change the reality.

Human beings have consumed animals their entire existence and will do so until the last human remains. Other animals live of others as well, and will do so until the last one of them remains too.

You choose to make it a dilemma, but in the minds of most normal folks it is not. It is pure reality. You either accept it or delude yourself into thinking that your stance is more enlightened and educated, thus right.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

There is no ethical dilemma. It is an inescapable reality that most everything we do causes damage to other animals. We all consume animal products, and use animals in various products. You can't live in this society without taking advantage of animals in someform of another. Or by destroying some form of animals.

The people who think that because they partake in a certain diet can sidestep this, are (bleep) delusional.

There's nothing wrong with some form of conservation, but this high and mighty delusional religious fervor in diet is completely misplaced.

You can live and pretend that your diet doesn't cause harm to other animals, but that doesn't change the reality.

Human beings have consumed animals their entire existence and will do so until the last human remains. Other animals live of others as well, and will do so until the last one of them remains too.

You choose to make it a dilemma, but in the minds of most normal folks it is not. It is pure reality. You either accept it or delude yourself into thinking that your stance is more enlightened and educated, thus right.

Um, I know that, I'm not an idiot. You're actually creating a false dilemma when you basically split diets up into perfectly harmless and harmful, so if you can't be perfectly harmless in your diet, then might as well say (bleep) it to it all and just go nuts right? You start off with a false dilemma, then you move on to a naturalistic fallacy by saying we've done it for so long, therefore it's still just as ethical to do now in present day circumstances.) After that, you make an appeal to popularity fallacy by saying a lot of people consume a lot of animal products, so it's normal, and I guess that makes it more or less ethical.

FTR, I'm not vegan, I'm a vegetarian who tries to make vegan choices when it's relatively convenient (I freely admit I have my own ethical shortcomings.) I think a vegan diet (and lifestyle,) is probably a more ethical diet and lifestyle than what most people partake in, in regards to lessening the suffering and harm of non-human animals. Regardless, I'm not arguing to support that view as much as argue that the ethical argument that veganism makes is absolutely legitimate and should be considered, and just because it may cause some stupid dogmatic people to be neglectful of their young children, doesn't bolster any side in the debate, it's irrelevant, and yet I see so many people respond in a "haha, take that veganism!" way.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

My point is that the vegan diet is the direct cause of death. Yes, it was brought on by the stupidity of the parents but nevertheless, it shows the dangers of vegan diets on infants under 1 year of age. You are the one trying to claim that the child died of malnutrition, not a vegan diet, when the two are intertwined.

Stupidity is the absolute main cause of this child's death

Why they are not serving serious time is beyond comprehension

Mentally challenged couples have children and don't do (bleep) this stupid
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: