2017-2018 GENERAL FOOTBALL (SOCCER) THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:
Salah should get el ballon d'Or this year. Hes had an incredible champions league.

Fek'n Ramos

Thank you Karius.

Last edited by Gatekeeper on Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Nightmare game for the Liverpool goalkeeper.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Congratulations to RM.

Horrible night for my team.

-Salah Injury
-2 "own" goals
-1 "goal of the competition"

Mane and Lovren played their hearts out. Everybody played well I thought. Everybody except for Karius.
Sigh.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, feel bad for Salah. People are attacking Ramos left and right, but in full speed, both guys held and Salah was just unlucky in the end. Hopefully he'll recover for World Cup, but I heard reports it's a separated shoulder.

It wasn't a particularly well played game except for a few stretches. Bale's goal was one of the best I've ever seen, though. Liverpool maximized their talent throughout the season. Objectively, they are nowhere close to the Madrids, Barcelonas, and Bayerns. I love Klopp and I hope he continues there for many years.

If Bale leaves (which is a certainty, especially after his comments after the game), Salah becomes an option for Madrid. If that happens, Liverpool can buy a bunch of players for that money. There are also Neymar rumors to Madrid. It'll be an interesting summer for transfers with records broken multiple times probably.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I watched the game as a more or less neutral. The first third of the game was very good. The Salah injury ruined it, though the game picked up a little in the final third. I didn't think Ramos did anything that crossed the line. He has a bad reputation, but the injury was just poor luck. I just wish we could have seen 90 minutes with the full rosters. It might have been a classic. Both teams were playing with gusto until Salah got hurt, and the game never fully recovered.

As it played out, RM had Navas, and Liverpool had Karius. Notwithstanding Bale's overhead kick, RM did not look like an attacking powerhouse. Ronaldo was less than dynamic. I guess we'll find out what his cryptic comments mean in a week or two. I still don't understand why people get so excited about Isco.

Overall, the game reminded me of the Arsenal-Barcelona final when Lehmann got a red card early in the game. From a neutral perspective, it ruined the game. Ditto for the Salah injury.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject:

What a time to be alive...

Liverpool's pain is every other fan's joy. They are pretty much the only English team who opposing fans refuse to cheer for. If that was Utd, City or Arsenal in the finals, all the other neutrals would've wanted the English team to win.

The comedic way it happened made it so much better, the anti-Liverpool atmosphere in the bar I watched it at was amazing

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Sergio Ramos.

That looked on purpose to me. Should be suspended (but not for the world cup lol).

How come there's always some sort of story or issue with that piece of turd.

Bale's goal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Before we move on to the World Cup, let’s give a tip of the hat to Fulham, which made it back to the EPL. I hope Tim Ream can keep his place. Fulham has a tradition of using US players, including McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey. Best of all, the Michael Jackson statue is gone.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:
Sergio Ramos.

That looked on purpose to me. Should be suspended (but not for the world cup lol).

How come there's always some sort of story or issue with that piece of turd.

Bale's goal.

Bale goal was unbelievable, the degree of difficulty on that attempt was something else.

I think Sergio tried to pull him to the ground, I don’t believe he tried to injure him. Say what you will about Ramos, but he’s always there for Real in big games, he had a great performance yesterday.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Some Egyptian sued Ramos for $1 billion.

Ramos is a physical player and sometimes he's dirty (he broke Madrid's record for red cards a long time ago). But Salah should have known that when he engaged him. Ramos used his experience there and didn't even make it look like a foul in real time (I don't think it was called a foul, but I could be wrong). Had Salah not gotten injured and had Liverpool had won, no one would have remembered that play. But Liverpool lost and it's always good to have a villain to blame. Ramos is the perfect candidate.

Did he mean to injure him? Only Ramos knows. If I were Ramos, I'd be extra careful in Russia as someone from a lesser team could target him late in a game with the score decided.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

So Zidane is leaving Madrid.

I had a feeling that would happen for a long time.

There are rumors that he will coach France, and that Qatar will offer him a lot of money to coach them leading up to 2022.

But I think it has to do mostly with the fact that he knows the team needs drastic changes, even after winning the CL. They lost the league to Barcelona in October of last year. That can't happen again. If it wasn't for the CL, it would have been a terrible season. But he's too loyal to his players and I think he just can't oversee a major overhaul of the team. Benzema sucks, Ronaldo is getting older, Bale wants out, and some other squad players haven't worked out. He never struck me as a career manager. I think he'll be back at some point, especially when Madrid hits a crisis.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

I hope the ground swallows up the entire madrid team
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I hear Wenger's available...
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Oh, God, no!! NO!! NOOOO!!!

Zidane's gift was that the entire team worshiped him. And thus no one that is available can replace him. Sources say that Pochettino is the #1 target.

Personally, I'd like Klopp but there's probably too much bad blood there.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Oh, God, no!! NO!! NOOOO!!!

Zidane's gift was that the entire team worshiped him. And thus no one that is available can replace him. Sources say that Pochettino is the #1 target.

Personally, I'd like Klopp but there's probably too much bad blood there.

Leave us alone. Klopp is perfect for Liverpool.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

I think its funny that so many people in the media seemed blindsided by this. A month ago, I put the odds at 50/50 in this thread. It wasn't a certainty, but was this really such a shock? This is freaking Real Madrid, not Arsenal.

Anyway, I'd put my money on Guti. Wenger would be my dark horse. The talk about Poch strikes me as ridiculous. He just signed a new five year deal with Tottenham, and besides he has literally never won anything. Poch might be next manager after Guti goes in 2-3 years, but not now.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I think its funny that so many people in the media seemed blindsided by this. A month ago, I put the odds at 50/50 in this thread. It wasn't a certainty, but was this really such a shock? This is freaking Real Madrid, not Arsenal.

Anyway, I'd put my money on Guti. Wenger would be my dark horse. The talk about Poch strikes me as ridiculous. He just signed a new five year deal with Tottenham, and besides he has literally never won anything. Poch might be next manager after Guti goes in 2-3 years, but not now.

I didn't think they'd fire him, simply because he'd won a lot in a short span of time and he is such a legend.

I can see why he'd choose to walk away though looking at it now. Rolls out after 3 straight champs leagues, which no one has ever or maybe even will ever replicate. Ronaldo and / or Bale might want to leave, and Barca are better in the league. Realistically this is as good as it gets, they might not be on the same level again next season.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I didn't think they'd fire him, simply because he'd won a lot in a short span of time and he is such a legend.

I can see why he'd choose to walk away though looking at it now. Rolls out after 3 straight champs leagues, which no one has ever or maybe even will ever replicate. Ronaldo and / or Bale might want to leave, and Barca are better in the league. Realistically this is as good as it gets, they might not be on the same level again next season.

We’ll probably never know what happened behind closed doors. My guess is that he was inclined to leave that pressure cooker on a high note and that Perez was not begging him to stay. If he had stayed for another year, he would have been the longest tenured manager since Miguel Muñoz. As you know, that’s the way Real Madrid rolls.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Ronaldo reportedly told his teammates that he is leaving.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779102-cristiano-ronaldo-reportedly-told-team-mates-he-was-leaving-before-ucl-final
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2779102-cristiano-ronaldo-reportedly-told-team-mates-he-was-leaving-before-ucl-final

In other news, the Sun rises from the East...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Nightmare game for the Liverpool goalkeeper.

Cost me 50 pounds as I was in London for the game and made a bet at William Hill.

What a rank amateur effort by Loris Karius, utterly brutal.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm sick of his drama but he's under contract and there's a 1 billion euro release clause. Madrid has all the leverage. Sure, if someone wants to pay 200 million or so for a soon to be 34 year old, go ahead.

He probably wants his contract to be revised. He and Messi do it basically every year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm sick of his drama but he's under contract and there's a 1 billion euro release clause. Madrid has all the leverage. Sure, if someone wants to pay 200 million or so for a soon to be 34 year old, go ahead.

He probably wants his contract to be revised. He and Messi do it basically every year.

Eh. If he wants out, it's just a question of how much of a fee RM can extract as part of the deal. I don't know that anyone, even PSG, would cough up 175M euros. I don't blame Perez for demanding that much, but it's basically the opening position in a negotiation.

But that begs the question: Who really wants him at this point? Just about anyone would want him if the price was right, but the price is not going to be right. There would be a sizable transfer fee, probably 100M euros or so, plus Ronaldo's salary.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

US, Mexico and Canada to host 2026 FIFA World Cup.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3522327/2026-world-cup-us-mexico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: