OFFICIAL Alex The Pope Caruso Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Not that I want to, but Caruso is a perfect sell high candidate.

Uff!!

4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
White Fisher

AC actually make his layups unlike Fish
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
He's slowy improving his off the dribble capabilities, from where he started the season (end of last season was a spectacular anomaly)... If he can continue inching towards what he was at the end of last season, then he becomes our clear 3rd best player

I'm a sucker for great stories and narratives and he's one.

We lost most of our YUTES, and he's already 25, but I feel like he's a bit "homegrown" for us.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

Who "discovered" The Pope for the Lakers? OKC waived him in 2016 and we signed him 10 months later.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

No sir...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Who "discovered" The Pope for the Lakers? OKC waived him in 2016 and we signed him 10 months later.

One of the Buss Kids

Quote:
South Bay Lakers President Joey Buss wanted to know why his team couldn’t shake off the Oklahoma City Blue in last year’s NBA G League standings.

Despite rattling off enough wins to capture the Pacific Division, South Bay couldn’t distance itself from the Blue, which finished with a matching 34-16 record.

The answer to Buss and his staff was the play of OKC point guard Alex Caruso — a 6-foot-5 two-way playmaker who led the league in steals and ranked sixth in assists.

So when the G League held a combine for its players in Chicago over the offseason, Buss and co. were already locked in on the 23-year-old rookie.

“He was the best player at that combine,” Buss said. “That helped us seal our decision to bring him to Summer League. And he seized the opportunity.”
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Sixers before Thunder.

My friend is from Philly and he’s bummed about it lol
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

No, Kuzma was. Because he has "star" potential so they say. So when his numbers don't keep improving, his stock drops. No one has any delusions of AC. He is a perfect role player. Who you gonna trade him for? Unless he's wanted in a super star deal. It makes less sense to trade him in smaller deals cause they guys you get back most likely do not bring the intangibles that AC has.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No, Kuzma was. Because he has "star" potential so they say. So when his numbers don't keep improving, his stock drops. No one has any delusions of AC. He is a perfect role player. Who you gonna trade him for? Unless he's wanted in a super star deal. It makes less sense to trade him in smaller deals cause they guys you get back most likely do not bring the intangibles that AC has.

I’m not saying you trade him because his value is high. I am saying if you are going to trade someone, you do it when their value is high.

And yes, Kuzma was also. But Kuzma is not right now.

The problem is you only see trade ideas when a player’s value is low. Think I saw a Kuz for 2nd rounder before. Lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

One of the Buss Kids

Quote:
South Bay Lakers President Joey Buss wanted to know why his team couldn’t shake off the Oklahoma City Blue in last year’s NBA G League standings.

Despite rattling off enough wins to capture the Pacific Division, South Bay couldn’t distance itself from the Blue, which finished with a matching 34-16 record.

The answer to Buss and his staff was the play of OKC point guard Alex Caruso — a 6-foot-5 two-way playmaker who led the league in steals and ranked sixth in assists.

So when the G League held a combine for its players in Chicago over the offseason, Buss and co. were already locked in on the 23-year-old rookie.

“He was the best player at that combine,” Buss said. “That helped us seal our decision to bring him to Summer League. And he seized the opportunity.”

Our drafting and scouting department is really, really good.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

One of the Buss Kids

Quote:

I’m glad at least one of Buss kids know basketball.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
White Fisher

Take that back! YouTube D.Fish vs Pierce/Allen/KG road finals layup and-1 (Caruso is da man tho, u right about that)
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
epak wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

One of the Buss Kids

Quote:

Our drafting and scouting department is really, really good.

Yup. I agree.
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Look what LeBron posted on his Instagram story

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELX-oHkVAAAoxEv?format=jpg&name=medium
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
hype wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Or he is the perfect kind of role player every championship team needs a few of. It would be a huge mistake to trade him imo and this is coming from someone who doesn't even normally over hype him. Unless it's a blatantly obvious upgrade you don't mess with trading big rotation players on a team that's destroying the league.

Everything he has been doing is completely sustainable.. He's that perfect spark off the bench that can completely turn a game around with defense and/or offense at any time.

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m merely pointing out at this is the time to move on a player, when their value is high. Not when their value is low.

I get what you're saying about selling high I just don't think it applies to Caruso because most of what he is doing he will continue to do on a regular basis for years to come. This probably isn't even his high.

If Kuzma goes on a hot streak soon i'd def. consider that selling high to trade him since he will still have a season and a half left on a dirt cheap contact which would be very valuable as well. Looking at his entire history as a basketball player you can see he will probably come back down to earth sooner then later with the hot shooting so it might be worth it depending what you could get back.

There will def. be some teams that are looking to blow it up later this year though so i'm all for looking at any trade that could possibly make us better. I have no doubt the Clippers will be active as well.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Kuzma and Caruso are very different. I don’t like the comparisons. Kuzma was a first round draft pick who performed better than his late first round status and garnered high expectations by the end of his first year. He has not really continued on that same trajectory since his first year (but there is time).

Caruso was a second round pick, bounces around in the g-league, and continues to perform better than expected ALL THE TIME despite not fitting the NBA prototype in measureables.

I wouldn’t “sell high” on Caruso. He’s the type of low-payroll role player (starter??) that championship teams have.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
White Fisher

Fish made a pretty big one in Game 3 vs Boston if I recall

But yeah.....he Freaking SUCKED at layups Lol
Years and years of watching that ball bounce off the glass, oftentimes not even drawing iron. Smh. Brutal
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Better AC comparisons from the past for a valuable team player PG would be Brian Shaw or (old) Ron Harper. Both had a similar hairstyle as I recall.

All the talk about trades for player X with Kuzma, Cousins, Cook, etc to makeup a package probably go nowhere without AC included. With that in mind, I think our only mid season pickups are going to be for waived players.
Carushow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Nice little interview with the great one:

rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:

If his career arc continues he'll be able to buy real pants soon.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Uff!!

I don’t see Caruso fitting the sell high profile, which is often a function of flashy play and perceived potential.

He has some physical tools, but he’s primarily a guy who will outwork and outhustle you. When you have guys that fit that profile, that is clearly on a growth trajectory, you hang onto them. Last year Caruso proved he was an NBA player. This year he’s proving he’s a rotation quality player. If he cleans up a few things and raises his shooting splits, he will get to starter level.

On a team built around two stars, that’s like striking gold.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
lakerican wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Uff!!

I don’t see Caruso fitting the sell high profile, which is often a function of flashy play and perceived potential.

He has some physical tools, but he’s primarily a guy who will outwork and outhustle you. When you have guys that fit that profile, that is clearly on a growth trajectory, you hang onto them. Last year Caruso proved he was an NBA player. This year he’s proving he’s a rotation quality player. If he cleans up a few things and raises his shooting splits, he will get to starter level.

Kuzma may have been the sell high guy but we didnt sell
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
lakerican wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Uff!!

--Anonymous
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Didn't realize he shot 48% from three last year. 24-50 is not a huge sample size, but enough to know he can shoot. He struggled earlier, but he's starting to knock them down now. Add a three pt weapon to all the intangibles he already brings, and he is a keeper.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Carushow wrote:

That's nice of AC to try to help his college friend try to be a youtuber lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 72 of 132
Jump to: