OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I’m only here because anything higher than the vet minimum is an absurd price for KCP

If he gets a 1 year deal and doesn’t affect the cap why do you care

Anything higher than a vet min would affect the cap.
His cap hold is ~$15M. So they need to renounce him and have him sign the vet min. Which I don't believe he will as he prob gets part of a mle from someone else. Or perhaps us

They can renounce and then use non-bird rights on him

Can you explain the non-bird rights? I read it as this

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:
"Non-qualifying free agents" (those who do not qualify under either the Larry Bird exception or the early Bird exception) are subject to the non-Bird exception. Under this exception, teams can re-sign a player to a contract beginning at either 120% of his salary for the previous season, or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever amount is higher. Contracts signed under the Non-Bird exception can last up to four years (down from six under the 2005 CBA).

Wouldnt this mean 120% x $12,000,000 since his previous salary is greater than the vet min?

That’s how I read it. This explains why we gave all those 1 year deals.

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I’m only here because anything higher than the vet minimum is an absurd price for KCP

His cap hold is ~$15M. So they need to renounce him and have him sign the vet min. Which I don't believe he will as he prob gets part of a mle from someone else. Or perhaps us

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:
"Non-qualifying free agents" (those who do not qualify under either the Larry Bird exception or the early Bird exception) are subject to the non-Bird exception. Under this exception, teams can re-sign a player to a contract beginning at either 120% of his salary for the previous season, or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever amount is higher. Contracts signed under the Non-Bird exception can last up to four years (down from six under the 2005 CBA).

Wouldnt this mean 120% x $12,000,000 since his previous salary is greater than the vet min?

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler

I dont get it.
Are you saying you want to pay him 120% x $12M?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

KCP or any other player with a pulse? Tough choice.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I believe that once a player is renounced, the team loses the opportunity to "non-bird" him.

--Anonymous
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler

I dont get it.

Good Lord KCP is horrible. I can't believe there was a time where he had such potential that he turned down a 5 year 80m deal because he thought he was worth more. If he was on the open market and we wanted to sign him, I would have to think twice at wasting the BAE on him. He's totally useless now. I don't know what happened. It must be a confidence thing.
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler

I dont get it.

Non-bird is after you reach cap max. Why do we care if the Lakers pay more for players
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I believe that once a player is renounced, the team loses the opportunity to "non-bird" him.

Non-bird is allowed after renouncing a player
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:

Non-bird is after you reach cap max. Why do we care if the Lakers pay more for players

I don't really care about the Lakers paying more for players but KCP's performances have been so far below what he's been paid in the past... and I don't think he's worth anything more than this range now... Vet Min ($1.8m for 6 year Vet) to Bullock's cap-hold ($4.5m). So I'm offering up this possible reason... why not spend that $14.4m (1.2 x $12m) on the analytics, development, or medical departments instead.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I stand corrected. See NBA Salary Cap FAQ #39. There is a "non-Bird" renouncement but then (by Answer #37) his cap hold is 120% of his previous year's salary. The Early Bird cap hold (also by #37) is only 130% of the previous year's salary (so it really doesn't help the salary cap that much to do the non-Bird renouncement). If the Lakers do the non-Bird renouncement, KCP counts as $14.4 million against the cap (until KCP signs a contract somewhere) leaving very little available to sign other players.

--Anonymous
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

I stand corrected. See NBA Salary Cap FAQ #39. There is a "non-Bird" renouncement but then (by Answer #37) his cap hold is 120% of his previous year's salary. The Early Bird cap hold (also by #37) is only 130% of the previous year's salary (so it really doesn't help the salary cap that much to do the non-Bird renouncement). If the Lakers do the non-Bird renouncement, KCP counts as $14.4 million against the cap (until KCP signs a contract somewhere) leaving very little available to sign other players.

Do you really think the money they save will go to medical or analytics? Cause it’s not
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:

Do you really think the money they save will go to medical or analytics? Cause it’s not

As the response has nothing to do with the comment, I think "Claysmokepot" is an apt description of what is happening here in this discussion. I apologize for getting lured into this mess.

--Anonymous
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:

As the response has nothing to do with the comment, I think "Claysmokepot" is an apt description of what is happening here in this discussion. I apologize for getting lured into this mess.

You’re very bright. So much so you didn’t realize I had quoted you instead of the person above you. Don’t bother being lured back. Your self importance is lame

Additionally: once renounced, the player is no longer a hit on the cap.

38. When do free agents stop counting against team salary?

Free agents continue to be included in team salary until one of the following happens:

The player signs a new contract with the same team. When this happens, the team salary reflects the player's new salary rather than his cap hold.
The player signs with a different team. As soon as this happens, the player becomes his new team's problem, and his salary no longer counts against his old team.
The team renounces the player. (See question number 39)
39. What does renouncing a player mean?

As detailed in question number 36, free agents continue to be included in team salary. By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exception (see question number 25) to re-sign that player. A renounced player no longer counts toward team salary, so teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room. Teams are still permitted to re-sign renounced players, but only with cap room or an exception other than the Bird exception1. The exception to this rule is that an Early Bird free agent, at the team's option, can be renounced to the Non-Bird level. A team might do this in order to sign the player to a one-year contract, instead of the minimum two years required by the Early Bird exception.

If the player does not sign with any team (his prior team or any other team) for the entire season, then his renouncement continues. In other words, the team is not permitted to renounce a player, let him sit idle for the year, and then re-sign him the following summer using Bird rights. However, if the player is renounced and then re-signs with his prior team, his renouncement is no longer in effect when his contract ends. For example, if a team renounces their Larry Bird rights to a player, then re-signs that player to a one-year contract using cap room, the player will be a Larry Bird free agent once again the following summer.

After renouncing a player, a team can still sign the player to a Two-Way contract (see question number 82) or trade the player in a sign-and-trade agreement (see question number 92).

1 The team is bound to the restrictions on salary, contract length and raises associated with the means they use to sign the player -- for example, if a team renounces its Bird free agent and then re-signs him with the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the contract must conform to the requirements of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. However, if a team renounces its Bird free agent and later re-signs him using its cap room, the player can still receive the contract length and raises associated with the Bird exception. This is because the maximum contract length and raises in a cap room signing are determined by the player's original free agent status, and are not affected by renouncement.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler

I dont get it.

Wait.
Ure saying if you use non bird rights, there no cap hold?
Can someone confirm this?

[edit]
Ah, annihilater already answered.
Yea, not sure what clay is going with the non bird
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

We need bard207 to confirm. Doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Besides at this point it would take some convincing for me to want KCP on this team for free
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Look what the Celtics did with Aron Baynes
Claysmokepot
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

Quote:
Non-Bird exception:

We can non-bird:

KCP
Rondo
Stephenson
McGee
Chandler

I dont get it.

Wait.
Ure saying if you use non bird rights, there no cap hold?
Can someone confirm this?

[edit]
Ah, annihilater already answered.
Yea, not sure what clay is going with the non bird

Yep. Annihilater answered. Doesn’t mean he knows what he’s talking about.

NBA Offseason 2018: Non-Bird Rights

7/2/2018
0 Comments
Picture
Aron Baynes 2018 Contract with BOS

1. Aron Baynes and the Boston Celtics

Aron Baynes signed a contract with the Boston Celtics on July 19, 2017 for 1 year/$4,328,000 using cap room.

Aron Baynes qualifies for the Non-Bird exception because he spent one (and only one) full season with the Boston Celtics without being waived or changing teams as a free agent.

Thus, Boston is able to sign him to the greater of the following options:
120% of his 2017-2018 salary = $5.2M
120% of the minimum salary for his years of service = $2.3M
the qualifying offer to make him a RFA = N/A

Baynes is eligible to sign up to 4 years with 5% raises over the first year of the deal. His new contract is as follows:

By signing Baynes with his Non-Bird Rights, the Celtics can sign him over the Salary Cap and also maintain full access to their Non-Taxpayer MLE valued at $8.6M.

https://www.hoopsconcierge.com/cba-concepts/nba-offseason-2018-non-bird-rights
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

Who knows? All I know is even the chance of it possibly going towards analytics/medical/development is worth more to me than it going to KCP.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
Look what the Celtics did with Aron Baynes

Yea. Trading him after he opted in. Sucks
xэloЯRolex
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why so many people here hate KCP, he's more than solid and i hope that we can keep him...
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

xэloЯRolex wrote:
I don't understand why so many people here hate KCP, he's more than solid and i hope that we can keep him...

Depends on the price. Since you hope to keep him.... what is the maximum you are willing to pay to keep him?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Claysmokepot wrote:
epak wrote:
Claysmokepot wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
why am I in this thread

The only way KCP doesn't impact cap-space is if he is signed for the vet minimum. If he signs for above that, he is taking money from another FA.
xэloЯRolex
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
xэloЯRolex wrote:

Depends on the price. Since you hope to keep him.... what is the maximum you are willing to pay to keep him?

If we get Kyrie, Kemba or D'Angelo, then i hope that KCP will get room exception...

If we get Kawhi or Jimmy, then room exception will probably be reserved for point guard (Rondo, Rose or someone else), so in that scenarion i hope that KCP would agree to come back for vet minimum with promise that we would give him much bigger contract after the next season...
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject:

xэloЯRolex wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
xэloЯRolex wrote:

If we get Kyrie, Kemba or D'Angelo, then i hope that KCP will get room exception...

If we get Kawhi or Jimmy, then room exception will probably be reserved for point guard (Rondo, Rose or someone else), so in that scenarion i hope that KCP would agree to come back for vet minimum with promise that we would give him much bigger contract after the next season...

Who is KCP even going to defend except small PGs? I just don't get it. For example, if we sign D'lo at a Max, we'd have to consider filling out the roster with KCP at SG... as in your first example. With a D'lo/KCP guard pairing... both have no chance of troubling bigger SGs like Klay, Harden, Butler, Doncic... and with them not getting help from LeBron at SF (compared to the help to be had from other SFs like a Kawhi or Iggy or Tobias )... the potential for Vogel to lose all his hair within a year is extremely high. KCP is and should be a back-up SG, not more, and he should get paid as one too... not expecting "much bigger contracts".
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/03/hoops-rumors-glossary-non-bird-rights-3.html

Quote:
The cap hold for a Non-Bird player is 120% of his previous salary, unless the previous salary was the minimum. In that case, the cap hold is equivalent to the two-year veteran’s minimum salary, which in 2019/20 projects to be worth $1,618,486. If a Non-Bird free agent only has one year of NBA experience, his cap hold is equivalent to the one-year veteran’s minimum salary.

Simple. KCPs cap hold would be 120% x $12M. And they can go over the cap after counting the 120% x $12M. It does NOT mean his entire salary is not counted.

Hope that clears it up for you, Clay.
xэloЯRolex
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
xэloЯRolex wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
xэloЯRolex wrote:

Who is KCP even going to defend except small PGs? I just don't get it. For example, if we sign D'lo at a Max, we'd have to consider filling out the roster with KCP at SG... as in your first example. With a D'lo/KCP guard pairing... both have no chance of troubling bigger SGs like Klay, Harden, Butler, Doncic... and with them not getting help from LeBron at SF (compared to the help to be had from other SFs like a Kawhi or Iggy or Tobias )... the potential for Vogel to lose all his hair within a year is extremely high. KCP is and should be a back-up SG, not more, and he should get paid as one too... not expecting "much bigger contracts".

Who are better options than KCP for SG spot...and i mean realistic options who might take room exception, if we spend all our money on Kyrie, Kemba or D'Angelo...most names that people throw around are probably out of our reach, if KCP played for some other team and if he wasn't represented by Klutch, i think that he would also be too expensive for us if we are only left with room exception...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 108 of 182
Jump to: