OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
A public speaker and a voice in the locker room, he isn't, but we shouldn't care as long as he performs on the court.

Someone said it, that KCP doesn't like talking, he does the action speak for him

No. He's just seems terrible at it. No one starts off a job interview/media day saying nobody was interested in hiring/signing him except for the job/team he's now at. There's a difference between not liking to talk and being bad at it. Case in point - Marshawn Lynch; doesn't like to talk to the media, but is actually well articulated and humorous when going on talk shows and when he otherwise wants to say something.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
A public speaker and a voice in the locker room, he isn't, but we shouldn't care as long as he performs on the court.

Someone said it, that KCP doesn't like talking, he does the action speak for him

No. He's just seems terrible at it. No one starts off a job interview/media day saying nobody was interested in hiring/signing him except for the job/team he's now at. There's a difference between not liking to talk and being bad at it. Case in point - Marshawn Lynch; doesn't like to talk to the media, but is actually well articulated and humorous when going on talk shows and when he otherwise wants to say something.

Do you think the same is true about KCP? More than that, do you know? Nervousness has a tendency to produce awkward, winged statements. Leave the man alone. It's not like the Lakers' success as a team will be determined by how comfortable KCP is in front of a camera.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Do you think the same is true about KCP? More than that, do you know? Nervousness has a tendency to produce awkward, winged statements. Leave the man alone. It's not like the Lakers' success as a team will be determined by how comfortable KCP is in front of a camera.

As I already stated above, I only care about his on court production; but I think first impressions are also important. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not maligning KCP for his faux pas. I'm just pointing out that instead of saying there weren't any other suitors besides the Lakers, he could've just said he's happy to be here, adjusting well, getting along with his new teammates and left it at that.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I seriously don't know anything about him so I haven't had an opinion about his signing one way or another. I was hoping to get to know him a little bit and perhaps glean some more insight but that interview was not it. So hopefully I will get to know more as the season progresses.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I've known intelligent people who had serious issues with communication. Mind races and they freeze up. Let's see how he communicates on defense on the basketball floor. I'll bet he's just fine there.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Trait list: Interview skills about business side events: no check mark. Impact: none.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Not the sharpest tool in the shed. But I got no problem with that as long as he's sharp on the court.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Does it matter how he speaks? Most of these interviews just repeat the same questions and answers anyway. I only care how he performs on the court and not a trouble maker.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject:

Here's a better interview, seems much more relaxed here

still shy though but that's just who he is.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

KCP seems shy and reserved. He has a quiet demeanor and obviously doesn't like the media spotlight (which is a good thing). He just goes about handling his business.

He's 24 so he is still learning and growing on and off the court. Solid player all-around.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject:

So doesn't seem like the type to go "Hollywood."
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Judah wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

As I already stated above, I only care about his on court production; but I think first impressions are also important. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not maligning KCP for his faux pas. I'm just pointing out that instead of saying there weren't any other suitors besides the Lakers, he could've just said he's happy to be here, adjusting well, getting along with his new teammates and left it at that.

We got you. You stated it. Now leave the man's grammar/diction alone. Let's talk basketball. Those posting about his grammar and or diction keep asserting it's irrelevant or not important. That's good to hear because it's flat out distasteful, and irrelevant to basketball.
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

I think his awkward interviews are kinda funny. He's brutally honest with his answer, especially the question about his future with the Lakers. It's simple, he doesn't know what to expect this year, but if he clicks with the team and they make the playoffs, he'll likely want to stay.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

He was very nervous on air and I am cool with that. So many of these guys are so polished with their coached responses that I found it refreshing to see a guy who was more human.

They asked him some lame questions too- I mean he wanted a long term deal and got stuck with a 1 year deal. Of course he was not happy about that, what do you think? How is he supposed to respond.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

It was pretty funny when they asked him if he wanted to stay and Laker and he took a long pause before answering.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
It was pretty funny when they asked him if he wanted to stay and Laker and he took a long pause before answering.

He understands as well as we do that the FO sees him as a one and done player
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:

He understands as well as we do that the FO sees him as a one and done player

Yeah, that was awkward for him. I mean I am sure he wants to stay, but he knows he probably won't.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

I am sure he wants to get paid, and I have no issue with that.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:
I think his awkward interviews are kinda funny. He's brutally honest with his answer, especially the question about his future with the Lakers. It's simple, he doesn't know what to expect this year, but if he clicks with the team and they make the playoffs, he'll likely want to stay.

It is awkward but man is it refreshing to see a guy give a real answer and not sugar coat it at all
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

This will be an interesting year for him - 24 years old, he's still at that age where he could be part of a young core somewhere, but just old enough he should be showing what he can do in the prime of his career by now. And he winds up on a one-year contract in spite of being a very good perimeter defender. Big year in terms of earning a payday, big year from a career trajectory standpoint.

And he gets to earn that payday playing across from Lonzo Ball. According to Magic and James, the Showtime Lakers didn't want Magic Johnson chasing people everywhere on defense, because they wanted his energy all game long funneled into running the offense. They were both clear they feel the same way with regards to Lonzo Ball. KCP can guard multiple positions including PG. His ability to take on the load on defense is one of the keys towards Lonzo being effective closing out a close game. Here's hoping KCP shines this year.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

Think about it, the more you can flourish with your language, the more you can BS. He stumbled around talking about offers, and revealed the Lakers were the only offer left. No NBA player would admit that. Dude seems like a nice honest man.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

I couldn't tell when he was asked if he was gonna stick around beyond this season and it took him half a day to answer whether that meant he definitely is not planning to stay beyond this season or that he's just really bad at interviews
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I sincerely hope he does GREAT...

But I won't get to attached to him, as he is most likely one-and-done with the Lakers...
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

KCP is ranked as the ninth best SG in the league over at Bleacher Report.

Quote:
Before suffering a strained rotator cuff in his left shoulder on Jan. 12, Caldwell-Pope averaged 14.9 points, 3.0 assists and 1.3 steals per game while putting down 40.4 percent of his three-pointers—including 44 percent of his catch-and-shoot treys. No Detroit Pistons starter registered a better net rating, he emerged as a viable pick-and-roll trigger man and his defensive assignments varied more than anyone else's.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I sincerely hope he does GREAT...

But I won't get to attached to him, as he is most likely one-and-done with the Lakers...

If he averages 18-20PPG I think there is a chance that we bring him back, especially if we make the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 29 of 182
Jump to: