OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Of course it begins and ends with Westbrook, he is their franchise player. And if the FO gets their way, everything here begins and ends with Lebron. Your idea that George is starved for shots by WB isn’t supported by the numbers. My point is that instead of paying max for a player at the top of his prime, maybe spend less for a younger player just hitting his prime and use some cap to fill a hole might be a valid idea. For discussion only, I realize that our FO wouldn’t do that, it wouldn’t bring the same media attention that signing George would. After all the tampering and wink winking the media will crucify them if George doesn’t sign. Which would be unfair, they wouldn’t be the reason why George wouldn’t come here.

But who's a good young player entering his prime that would actually be available? Most of the decent guys who fit that description is restricted, as with most RFA's, if we can sign them for a decent price, their current team would likely just match.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

You don't win championships without all-star talent. To suggest over the course of a playoff series that Pope and Lopez can give you what George can is laughable. The Laker's fo isn't chasing names. They're chasing guys who can average 25 in a playoff series. Something Pope and Lopez can't do.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Um Duncan is a 5 carat player, and Parker/Ginobili were exceptional players.

The fact you can name the few teams that had all stars (all of them had several all stars, which today's KCP/Brook are not) proves my point that you need a collection of elite talent (baseline multiple all stars).

I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm only saying the subject should be up for debate. If KCP is a 40% 3 pt shooter... if Brook is a 40% 3pt shooter who also rim protects... is the collective benefit better than PG?

I like Paul George but the question in my mind has gone from no f*cking way to hmmm... maybe these guys are worth considering.

It's not crazy because George is not quite an elite player, IMO (he's close). If KCP was better defensively, oddly, I might be on board.

Yeah, I haven't seen PG take over games enough to put him at the highest echelon. I can see KCP as more of a late game threat than PG to be honest. If he could stop making as many bonehead plays, he might move up to that all star level assuming his shots keep falling.

Are you serious right now? You actually think kcp has allstar potential?

Wait you also think Thomas is a better scorer than Lillard nvm
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Of course it begins and ends with Westbrook, he is their franchise player. And if the FO gets their way, everything here begins and ends with Lebron. Your idea that George is starved for shots by WB isn’t supported by the numbers. My point is that instead of paying max for a player at the top of his prime, maybe spend less for a younger player just hitting his prime and use some cap to fill a hole might be a valid idea. For discussion only, I realize that our FO wouldn’t do that, it wouldn’t bring the same media attention that signing George would. After all the tampering and wink winking the media will crucify them if George doesn’t sign. Which would be unfair, they wouldn’t be the reason why George wouldn’t come here.

No. My point is when PG13 led the Pacers he put up unbelievable playoff numbers. Pg13 can’t do so in OKC but it’s not a reflection of him suddenly becoming non elite.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The fact you can name the few teams that had all stars (all of them had several all stars, which today's KCP/Brook are not) proves my point that you need a collection of elite talent (baseline multiple all stars).

I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm only saying the subject should be up for debate. If KCP is a 40% 3 pt shooter... if Brook is a 40% 3pt shooter who also rim protects... is the collective benefit better than PG?

I like Paul George but the question in my mind has gone from no f*cking way to hmmm... maybe these guys are worth considering.

It's not crazy because George is not quite an elite player, IMO (he's close). If KCP was better defensively, oddly, I might be on board.

Yeah, I haven't seen PG take over games enough to put him at the highest echelon. I can see KCP as more of a late game threat than PG to be honest. If he could stop making as many bonehead plays, he might move up to that all star level assuming his shots keep falling.

I said until this season... IT had a better TS%... this is true.

I said if KCP continues to shoot threes at 40% and improves his game he can perhaps achieve all star potential.

If I can make someone feel better about themselves by making fun of my comments... why not? Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

But at least get your facts straight before presenting them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

KCP? All star. Um no.

Solid starter level player. Def a possibility.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I said until this season... IT had a better TS%... this is true.

I said if KCP continues to shoot threes at 40% and improves his game he can perhaps achieve all star potential.

If I can make someone feel better about themselves by making fun of my comments... why not? Doesn't affect me in the slightest.

But at least get your facts straight before presenting them.

Right right...Kobe never had a 60 TS%, Thomas is also a better scorer than Kobe Bryant.

I’m sure KCP can achieve allstar potential as well. He has surely shown it thru his first 5 seasons, 4 of them which he hasn’t really progressed at all. He’s shooting the 3 well this year that means he has allstar potential? Sorry man just not buying.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Suddenly KCP is a good alternative to a proven 2 way allstar in Paul George lol what?

If they were to play a friendly 1 on 1 KCP wouldn’t even get the ball back if George got first possession.. let’s not get ridiculous here.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KCP? All star. Um no.

I can agree it's a long shot... simply because the West is so deep, and he has a ways to go. But heck if Brook can be a starter... it's possible. How many players with his athleticism can shoot threes at 40%? Maybe I'm being over optimistic but if he keeps trending upward like this he will no longer be an average talent. I noticed how his shots kept falling more and more and when I just checked his numbers he was at 39.6% from three at high volume!

What if he goes up another percentage point or two?

Now, if he stays the same or goes down... you are right. But man, if he improves his shot more and cuts down on his dumb plays... considering how young he is, I don't think it's crazy to think this.

KCP 39.6
LBJ 36.9
Harden 37.1
Westbrook 28.9
PG13 41.0
Oladipo 36.7
DeRozan 32.3 (he came back to Earth)
Butler 35.6
Lillard 37.1
Klay 44.3
Lowry 40.3
Curry 42.4
Dragic 36.1
Wall 35.8
Kemba 39.4

He's better than every All Star perimeter player from range except Klay, Curry, PG and Lowry. If he goes up only half a percent he's in a very exclusive club, but he went up 5% this season. Imagine his shooting on a better, more seasoned team with gravity pulling away the defense.

So yes, it's a little premature for the conversation... but it surprised me how efficient he's become. Before I felt dread when he would shoot...but more and more I feel confident he'll make the shot. Who knows, maybe he'll come back to Earth next season... but if this is for real... Yes, I think he can become an all star... especially if he plays for a playoff team.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Suddenly KCP is a good alternative to a proven 2 way allstar in Paul George lol what?

If they were to play a friendly 1 on 1 KCP wouldn’t even get the ball back if George got first possession.. let’s not get ridiculous here.

Name some players more athletic than KCP who shoot from range as well as him... I've already conceded here that PG is better than KCP... my contention is that at half the price, he might be better value.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KCP? All star. Um no.

I can agree it's a long shot... simply because the West is so deep, and he has a ways to go. But heck if Brook can be a starter... it's possible. How many players with his athleticism can shoot threes at 40%? Maybe I'm being over optimistic but if he keeps trending upward like this he will no longer be an average talent. I noticed how his shots kept falling more and more and when I just checked his numbers he was at 39.6% from three at high volume!

Now, if he stays the same or goes down... you are right. But man, if he improves his shot more and cuts down on his dumb plays... considering how young he is, I don't think it's crazy to think this.

KCP 39.6
LBJ 36.9
Harden 37.1
Westbrook 28.9
PG13 41.0
Oladipo 36.7
Butler 35.6
Lillard 37.1
Klay 44.3
Lowry 40.3
Curry 42.4
Dragic 36.1
Wall 35.8
Kemba 39.4

He's better than every All Star perimeter player from range except Klay, Curry, PG and Lowry. If he goes up only half a percent he's in a very exclusive club, but he went up 5% this season. Imagine his shooting on a better, more seasoned team with gravity pulling away the defense.

So yes, it's a little premature for the conversation... but it surprised me how efficient he's become. Before I felt dread when he would shoot...but more and more I feel confident he'll make the shot. Who knows, maybe he'll come back to Earth next season... but if this is for real... Yes, I think he can become an all star... especially if he plays for a playoff team.

Being an all star is more than a simple 3% comparison. He’s a solid starter ceiling IMO. I doubt he will ever come close to the all star game.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KCP? All star. Um no.

KCP 39.6
LBJ 36.9
Harden 37.1
Westbrook 28.9
PG13 41.0
Oladipo 36.7
Butler 35.6
Lillard 37.1
Klay 44.3
Lowry 40.3
Curry 42.4
Dragic 36.1
Wall 35.8
Kemba 39.4

Here’s the problem with that list of players- they are all able to create their own shot much better than KCP can. Which is what makes allstar talent.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Name some players more athletic than KCP who shoot from range as well as him... I've already conceded here that PG is better than KCP... my contention is that at half the price, he might be better value.

Durant, Curry, Harden, Irving, George, Lowry, Thompson, Beal, McCollum, Booker, Tatum, Harris

Hell I’d even say Josh Hart. His 3pt% is already higher than KCP’s as a rookie, granted he doesn’t shoot as many.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Durant, Curry, Harden, Irving, George, Lowry, Thompson, Beal, McCollum, Booker, Tatum, Harris

Hell I’d even say Josh Hart. His 3pt% is already higher than KCP’s as a rookie, granted he doesn’t shoot as many.

I don't know about Beal, McCollum, Harris... Tatum is a little early. Hart is definitely a little early though I'm optimistic.

Interesting though that your list is small and all are all star quality talents.

I think maybe a better question might have been. Name some players who can shoot as well as KCP, and who are as athletic who are not all star talents.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Waiting for that list of players who shoot from range as well as him and who are also as athletic.

What’s with these non objective (define “as athletic”) and random criteria? You’ve been defending the most random hills as of late.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Waiting for that list of players who shoot from range as well as him and who are also as athletic.

What’s with these non objective (define “as athletic”) and random criteria? You’ve been defending the most random hills as of late.

Someone who can get to the rim, defend well, generally mobile... as opposed to someone like Mirotic or Korver.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

And what does that lead you to conclude? That because he’s “athletic” and can shoot 3s at a decent rate he’s an all star? It’s just arbitrary.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I don't know about Beal, McCollum, Harris... Tatum is a little early. Hart is definitely a little early though I'm optimistic.

Interesting though that your list is small and all are all star quality talents.

I think maybe a better question might have been. Name some players who can shoot as well as KCP, and who are as athletic who are not all star talents.

You keep saying “as athletic” as if KCP is a great athlete lol.

As far as non allstar talents yeah, KCP is shooting better than players in that category. This doesn’t tell me he has allstar potential tho. Certainly not after 1 season of this type of 3pt shooting. I still believe he is a poor man’s Bradley Beal. He isn’t able to create his own shot well enough to be an allstar caliber player. Has potential to be a great catch and shoot guy.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
And what does that lead you to conclude? That because he’s “athletic” and can shoot 3s at a decent rate he’s an all star? It’s just arbitrary.

I said if he continues to shoot an elite pace... learns to refine his craft, that he might become one. If we had this conversation about Oladipo last year, you would have laughed at me.

It's easy to just say I want LeBron and PG13.

What's more difficult is to find hidden gems that aren't obvious at first.

I agree that he may never reach those heights... but I'm always looking for the next person bubbling under the surface.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Dipo was a #2 pick. The talent was apparent. It just took longer to unlock.

I can see something like a Byron Scott level career for KCP as his ceiling. Good solid starter.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I said if he continues to shoot an elite pace... learns to refine his craft, that he might become one. If we had this conversation about Oladipo last year, you would have laughed at me.

It's easy to just say I want LeBron and PG13.

What's more difficult is to find hidden gems that aren't obvious at first.

I agree that he may never reach those heights... but I'm always looking for the next person bubbling under the surface.

I don’t like the Oladipo comparison. Oladipo is an elite athlete who was already putting up better numbers year by year than KCP.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

As far as non allstar talents yeah, KCP is shooting better than players in that category. This doesn’t tell me he has allstar potential tho. Certainly not after 1 season of this type of 3pt shooting. I still believe he is a poor man’s Bradley Beal. He isn’t able to create his own shot well enough to be an allstar caliber player. Has potential to be a great catch and shoot guy.

I'm by no means sold on him... and you bring up a fair point about his shot creation... but KCP's putting up these numbers on a team with no Wall to pull the defense away. Beal seems to be 40% plus with him... more like below 37% without him. I get what you mean about catch and shoot... but if it were easy than everyone would be shooting 40% and KCP is doing it on a relatively weaker team. It could be a fluke, I admit... but it is no easy feat to shoot that well with such high volume.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think KCP is an “elite athlete.” He has some decent quickness but he’s not a major leaper or speedster.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I'm by no means sold on him... and you bring up a fair point about his shot creation... but KCP's putting up these numbers on a team with no Wall to pull the defense away. Beal seems to be 40% plus with him... more like below 37% without him. I get what you mean about catch and shoot... but if it were easy than everyone would be shooting 40% and KCP is doing it on a relatively weaker team. It could be a fluke, I admit... but it is no easy feat to shoot that well with such high volume.

Let’s not forget Beal is a year younger putting up 23 a game on 56%TS (60%TS last season) and running the offense in Wall’s absence and has done a pretty damn good job at it. KCP doesn’t have that kind of versatility in terms of shot creating and playmaking for others. Good 3 & D guy but I don’t see him going beyond that. If he could become a better scorer off the dribble then sure- allstar. That’s a big IF though. Especially considering 25 years old 5th season. Just my take..
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don’t think KCP is an “elite athlete.” He has some decent quickness but he’s not a major leaper or speedster.

He isn’t. And if you’re not a great athlete you have to be crafty enough to create your own shot off the dribble. In order to be allstar caliber.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 66 of 182
Jump to: