OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 2796

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Great signing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
#StayInYoLane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 993

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Instead of talking about other posters why not present your argument as to why you think KCP isn't a starter? It's pretty obvious he's not coming here to play off the bench?


Would have been epic if you started your post with ummm..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Detroit bad Boy
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject:

Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kava
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 1571

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

Detroit Bad Boy -

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time to post. You had me until you mentioned that GSW don't play D - they're actually one of the best, if not THE BEST, defensive squads in the league.

Point taken on KCP's talents being wasted along side the wrong system with a shoot first PG in Detroit. Lonzo is bringing back a style of play that most LA fans have been waiting for more than a few seasons. KCP's talents fit in perfectly here in LA.

Truth is we really don't know yet how it is all going to play out. But after signing your (now our) boy KCP - I am more hopeful about my team than I've been for a long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 5447
Location: Baltimore, MD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42
about 5 hours ago

Details on the KCP $18M contract in Los Angeles calls for a 15% trade kicker and 50% advance. One year contract could be very lucrative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11926
Location: Somewhere watching a Laker game

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject:

Lonzo on Caldwell-Pope: "I know heís a shooter & I know he can run so thatís going to work fine for me. Canít wait to play w/ him"
https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/885741286283657216
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4841

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:
Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.
Here is KCP playing D against Curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRan-kheZA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Car54
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 8640

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:

I think he's gonna avg 20ppg playing next to Lonzo makes that possible
_________________
Coach: Luuuuuuuuuuuke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 2809

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject:

Detroit Bad Boy, thanks for taking the time to post. Much appreciated. I love his game and have wanted him for a while. It seems like he was rotating between SVG's penthouse and doghouse which is tough on a young player. He has all the tools and is going to flourish now that he is removed from SVG's offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 1463

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject:

mantlehog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ummm he's unquestionably our starting SG.


Exactly. No need to be political about the obvious, Luke.


Ok, I'm using an extreme example but imagine we get PG and Luke is all like

"Yea I guess he will be out there with Brandon and Lonzo in our starting five; but, you know, I like competition and guys earning it..."

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 11721

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:
Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.


Thank you. Raw stats won't tell the full story on his offense (see signature). There's going to be a drop-off in some numbers if he exerted that much energy on the defensive end, which is why I'm skeptical about taking some of those metrics at face value. If he was the sole defensive option on the Pistons, then I can see similar problems manifesting here. Lakers need to re-sign Nwaba if they can, because there's no one else who will be able to spell Pope on the defensive end. Lonzo isn't ready. Clarkson is a mixed bag, despite his athleticism. Caruso has promise but he needs NBA reps. Perimeter defense will be iffy without an another option.
_________________
"Stats are killing basketball. This is a very subjective game, a lot of things happen that you can't measure with stats. Very different details matter. The way I see basketball, the most important things don't show up in statistics." - Marc Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 May 2002
Posts: 7027
Location: Vegas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

KCP ball pressure is fantastic! Beautiful stroke on his jumper!
_________________
Do you believe it now, Trinity? - Morpheous
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
la4win
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1491

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Detroit bad Boy wrote:
Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.


Thank you. Raw stats won't tell the full story on his offense (see signature). There's going to be a drop-off in some numbers if he exerted that much energy on the defensive end, which is why I'm skeptical about taking some of those metrics at face value. If he was the sole defensive option on the Pistons, then I can see similar problems manifesting here. Lakers need to re-sign Nwaba if they can, because there's no one else who will be able to spell Pope on the defensive end. Lonzo isn't ready. Clarkson is a mixed bag, despite his athleticism. Caruso has promise but he needs NBA reps. Perimeter defense will be iffy without an another option.

Got Ingram to help out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:
KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.


I don't know what to think about this. KCP averaged 33.3 mpg last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28763
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject:

is it october yet !!
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 1196

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Detroit bad Boy wrote:
KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.


I don't know what to think about this. KCP averaged 33.3 mpg last year.


Unless Detroit Bad Boy is part of the KCP team... agent staff, family member... I appreciate his insights into the player. However, I also wonder why his FG% wasn't higher in college if this theory were true. His senior year was quite decent... but overall his averages are similar to his pro career... So this would contradict his theory about overwork... unless he had a similarly bad team at Georgia too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 83076

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mantlehog wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ummm he's unquestionably our starting SG.


Exactly. No need to be political about the obvious, Luke.


Ok, I'm using an extreme example but imagine we get PG and Luke is all like

"Yea I guess he will be out there with Brandon and Lonzo in our starting five; but, you know, I like competition and guys earning it..."



KCP's "competition" for starting SG is JC and Hart.

Yeah, I don't think there's much of a debate about who is starting at SG.

Now, KCP is out the first 2 games with a suspension for a DUI....
_________________
#PG2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 2881
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:
Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.


Great post! Thanks for coming over and sharing. I can't wait to see him play. I think he will fit like a glove with Lonzo and Ingram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 83076

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Detroit Boys, classy post and thanks for shedding insight. Love it when a player is loved by his fanbase and a poster comes to another board to share insight like this.
_________________
#PG2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Detroit bad Boy wrote:
KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.


I don't know what to think about this. KCP averaged 33.3 mpg last year.


Unless Detroit Bad Boy is part of the KCP team... agent staff, family member... I appreciate his insights into the player. However, I also wonder why his FG% wasn't higher in college if this theory were true. His senior year was quite decent... but overall his averages are similar to his pro career... So this would contradict his theory about overwork... unless he had a similarly bad team at Georgia too.


Sure. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer. KCP might be as good as this guy suggests. However, there are any number of people from this forum who are perfectly capable of going to a Nets board (assuming that such a thing exists) and writing a piece about how Russell is going to be an all-star.

I'm trying to figure out what we really got when we signed KCP. This guy says that he is a ferocious defender who will wear himself out and take bad shots if you don't limit his minutes. I look at the stats, and I see a guy who was an above average (though not elite) defender two years ago, then had his minutes reduced last year and played poor defense. His three point percentage went up, though it was still below average. His two point percentage went down.

I'll be interested to see this guy play. I'm still not sure what we got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 83076

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Detroit bad Boy wrote:
KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.


I don't know what to think about this. KCP averaged 33.3 mpg last year.


Unless Detroit Bad Boy is part of the KCP team... agent staff, family member... I appreciate his insights into the player. However, I also wonder why his FG% wasn't higher in college if this theory were true. His senior year was quite decent... but overall his averages are similar to his pro career... So this would contradict his theory about overwork... unless he had a similarly bad team at Georgia too.


Sure. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer. KCP might be as good as this guy suggests. However, there are any number of people from this forum who are perfectly capable of going to a Nets board (assuming that such a thing exists) and writing a piece about how Russell is going to be an all-star.

I'm trying to figure out what we really got when we signed KCP. This guy says that he is a ferocious defender who will wear himself out and take bad shots if you don't limit his minutes. I look at the stats, and I see a guy who was an above average (though not elite) defender two years ago, then had his minutes reduced last year and played poor defense. His three point percentage went up, though it was still below average. His two point percentage went down.

I'll be interested to see this guy play. I'm still not sure what we got.


The key was to find a player who was better than JC/Hart at starting SG. Further, the following considerations were important:

1. 1 year deal
2. 3 point shooter (35% on 6 3 attempts is good enough for now)
3. defender (though the advanced metrics don't say he is, I think he is at least an average level defender).
_________________
#PG2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 1270

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Well to be fair, in 2016-2017 he had 20 games of 37+ minutes including

41:40 game
40:53 game
48:28 game

and after that game

he had a 39:43 game and
a 3:43 game followed by 4 DNP so we can suggested that here was when he got hurt.

After returning from injury he had

40:51
46:36

Then Detroit began to fade his minutes. If you look closely, maybe having problems & hurting because his shooting from downtown was awful @ the end of season

1-9
2-10
2-11
3-10
0-4 (3 times)

So maybe was it was a combination of injury + no legs + fed up + tired.

Just saying; I think this kid will be a defense changer for our team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 38527

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:


You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him.


Welcome to the board Detroit Bad Boy, nice post!

I am so excited to see a guy actually play defense, it has been a long time since we have had a player do that here.

Hopefully it will be Kentavious to the rest of the guys and they will pick up the bug!
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 19187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
So maybe was it was a combination of injury + no legs + fed up + tired.

Just saying; I think this kid will be a defense changer for our team.


That makes sense. I hope you're right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
imfasterthanur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 152

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

Detroit bad Boy wrote:
Piston fan here. Gonna miss KCP. Unfortunately for us, KCP will be an Allstar in the next year or two. You have to understand that he has been in a messed up organization for his young career. He has played with Jackson who does not defend and has asma problems. Poor KCP had to guard the best guards on the other teams and it seemed like some nights he was guarding 2 guys by himself. Our problem with SVG was that he couldn't stand to take KCP off the court because he was the only one defending and I recall SVG actually saying "I can't play KCP 45 minutes a night, we need other guys to defend too"

So KCP was stuck being moved around during games to whoever was scoring well for the opposition. He played heavy minutes and he is old school, meaning he actually thinks defense is fun, like Rodman, Dumars, Mike Cooper for you guys, KCP thinks it's a joy to play tough D, that's why Dumars drafted him, because he's old school.

KCP is probably going to be an all star. BUT But BUT. Your coach has to tell your other players that they have to play D like KCP does too or KCP will get worn out going 38 minutes a night because he doesn't know anything but high gear. If your coach gets to where he feels like he can't give KCP a blow and keep him around 33 to 36 mpg, the way he plays, he will get worn down and then that's when he starts taking bad shots.

You will quickly see that his lower percentage is not because there is anything wrong with his stroke, he has a beautiful, fluid stroke. He misses shots because he takes bad shots, contested shots and it's because he is tired and has been on the court for 40 minutes working his butt off because no one else wants to play D like he does.

So I can promise you that KCP can shoot 40 percent from 3 if he is taking good shots, he has the beautiful stroke to do it. Some guys shoot low because they just don't have that natural shooting touch, others shoot bad because they don't limit their shots to good looks. When KCP does that he is a deadly shooter.

One other thing I don't see mentioned about KCP is just how clutch this dude is. I mean he is UNCANNY clutch, hitting 3 pointers to tie games or win them with 2 seconds left. And I mean when he starts going off, it's scary good. When he starts getting in that groove, he starts hitting crazy shots, and like 6, 7 in a row, and hard shots, huge shots. So he never has gotten credit for being an awesome clutch shooter.

I have always believed he will break out and be an allstar, and I have no doubt he will IF IF IF you guys can get the rest of your team to just love defense like he does. You Laker fans know what I mean, same as Detroit fans. Those old teams just loved to go in to an opponents home court and just shut that ass down, it was so humiliating to the other team. Well that's the kind of mentality KCP has, Dumars saw this in him and that's why he drafted him 8th overall.

But KCP was stuck with crappy non-defensive PG's and SF's and team mates who just don't have that old school defensive, heel on the throat outlook. So I don't know your current players, but if KCP can rub off on them and Magic can explain to them that type mentality then KCP will be your leader and an allstar. If not you will end up wasting this hard nosed young talent like we did. KCP just needs guys who want to work like he does and guys who can help him setup open looks so he can actually use that beautiful stroke. This is the kind of guy that you can build a title team with. SVG doesn't want that kind of team, that's the real truth. SVG wants a Warriors type team, KCP is a Pistons/Celtic/Lakers/Spurs type old school baller.

KCP will make you tired just watching him, and I don't mean just running up the court, he does that, but I mean the way he WORKS. See those highlights? Well that intensity NEVER stops, 38 minutes a game like that. But he's still young and needs some coaching on shot selection and Magic will help him with that. Now you know why guys like Magic and Dumars like KCP. I just hope you guys can build better around him than we did. SVG doesn't want to play that type ball, does your coach?

As for why we let him go, we were going to sign him and match a bigger deal than you paid him, BUT, we have a logjam at SF and we needed to get rid of Morris so Tobias Harris can play SF and our 3rd year guy Stanley Jonson can play at SF. So the Celtics offered to let us have Bradley and take Morris off our hands and we could pay Bradley only 8 million this season and not have to deal with a huge contract until next season, so it was the perfect answer for us.

KCP will be exactly what you LA fans are hoping he will be.

No sweat on the silly drinking thing. It was a one time silly mistake because he had hardly ever drank and didn't realize he was having too much. He is a goodie two shoes and a great team mate the other players love. So no drugs or drink and I can assure you that was a one time thing and was totally out of left field for him.

He has a beautiful shot and with a PG who will actually pass him the ball and set him up he will shoot close to 40 percent threes. Jax is a horrible PG here who is a ball hog and doesn't know how to set shooters up, and KCP hurt his shoulder late last year and he was playing like an all star before that. I have always expected him to break out and become an all star. He has that swagger and feel to his game, monster dunker and can get the crowd and his team mates pumped, but he has just been in a crappy situation for him here with SVG. SVG does not want to play KCP style of ball. KCP wants to run and gun and play lock down D on the other end. He is a smart guy and will be an all star in the next season or two, so do not listen to the ny sayers bring up silly stats that don't take in to account the players and style of game he has been forced to play for his first 4 years.

You Laker fans are gonna LOVE him. I can't wait to see what he's gonna do. I know one thing, the other guards in the west just got a top flight defender put against them. KCP will bring the house down with his intense play. Bron would love to play with KCP. He is exactly the kind of player Bron likes to play with.


Wow!! Thanks for the detailed follow-up! Definitely excited for this core of players this year!
_________________
"Free throw defense was great tonight...one of the best I seen in a long time" - Phil Jackson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 16 of 40
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB