OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
These press conferences are following a pattern...

MAGIC: Welcome everyone. We are very excited to introduce our new player. He reminds me of my playing days, running the break with Michael Cooper and Byron on the wing...

ROB: Magic, I'd like to add to that but first I'd like all the reporters to sit around me Indian style so I can begin story time.

MAGIC: We felt we needed a strong 2-way presence, similar to having 2 ways to dish it to Michael Cooper or Byron on the wing back when I played.

(Rob nestles into a rocking chair and lights a corncobb pipe.)

ROB: Leviticus tells us that "He has risen. Come see the place where he lay" and it was at that moment I knew we had secured Deron Williams for the vet min.

MAGIC: ....Grab the rebound, push the pace "oh look! Is that Michael Cooper to my left? Is that Byron on my right?

(Rob motions for the lights to be turned off, and then shines a flashlight under his chin)

ROB: You guys know me, you know a story is coming. Buckle up. So KCPs agent called me and said hed sign a 1 year deal for $18M and I said "Cool." That's the whole story I guess.

MAGIC: Questions?

REPORTER: Any plans for how you intend to use Clarkson next season?

MAGIC: I don't know who that is.

Lol

He tied the bread falling to KCP. LMAO
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Gonna average 16 pts, 4 assists thanks to Zo effect.
GabKoost
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

KCP seemed overwhelmed by LA press! His presentation was so cringe that i felt awkwardly bad for the kid!

Anyway, i hope that he doesn't start to tremble when looking at the Staples Center first row during official games..

Talking ball, i think his presence will definitely make our guard play less of a scorer sector but a serving one. Unlike most NBA teams, we will establish our foundations and stability from the back court while the scoring will be made by our wings and front court.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we should stop these introductions. That was the most cringe worthy one I've ever seen. KCP had nothing to say. Just let your play do the talking KCP.
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

KCP isn't much of a talker. Neither is Brandon and in some ways Lonzo. The real communication is gonna happen on the court.

Our defense is vastly improved now. Lonzo & Brandon play smart team defense. KCP can be that stopper in the 4th. If only Julius can become that defensive anchor, we'd be top 15 in the league.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KCP seems to be a humble and classy guy. Kudos to his mom, His wife is beautiful, kudos for him!

Introvert dude did well there.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:
KCP isn't much of a talker. Neither is Brandon and in some ways Lonzo. The real communication is gonna happen on the court.

Our defense is vastly improved now. Lonzo & Brandon play smart team defense. KCP can be that stopper in the 4th. If only Julius can become that defensive anchor, we'd be top 15 in the league.

Lonzo answers your question, no fluff. Straight to point, really quick, looks you in the eye. KCP pauses, you can tell he's thinking, leaving you to think he's got something, then continues with nothing. LOL!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

KCP 6'5, 6'8 wingspan. The more I read up on his specs, the more I'm getting excited for this back-court. For some reason, I also thought he was a second rounder who panned out, but he's actually the 8th pick in the 2013 draft.

Hopefully he takes his 3 to another level. He hit 153 in 2015 at 34.5%, then regressed in 2016 hitting 114 at 31%. Then hit 153 again in 2017 at 35%. Hopefully Lonzo will help him improve on those numbers.
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

KCP mentioned 5 was taken. Who snagged that number? One of the rooks? My mind is drawing a blank...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
KCP mentioned 5 was taken. Who snagged that number? One of the rooks? My mind is drawing a blank...

Josh Hart
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

I said somewhere else that KCP kind of reminds me of an athletic Rainman with his top button buttoned and the mumbling and that Lonzo also has that kind of awkward savant thing going on, so maybe we should name them the Rainmen since they're going to be raining buckets on everyone.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
KCP 6'5, 6'8 wingspan. The more I read up on his specs, the more I'm getting excited for this back-court. For some reason, I also thought he was a second rounder who panned out, but he's actually the 8th pick in the 2013 draft.

Hopefully he takes his 3 to another level. He hit 153 in 2015 at 34.5%, then regressed in 2016 hitting 114 at 31%. Then hit 153 again in 2017 at 35%. Hopefully Lonzo will help him improve on those numbers.

He was actually shooting around 40% from 3 prior to injuring his shoulder. I think he's really going to enjoy playing in Luke's offense next to Lonzo especially after playing in SVG's offense next to Reggie Jackson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

He is precisely what we needed this season next to Lonzo. Guy who will check the other team's stronger guard.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Is KCP the mythical "Doberman Defender" that the LG has been looking for since the beginning of time?!
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:

This is what I really came to say. I actually like that the players that they've brought in that I've heard talk (Lonzo, Kuz, KCP) are just mellow kind of shy grinders. Julius is like that to a degree and BI is definitely a silent assassin.

Big mentality change for us. DLO/JC/NICK are arrogant borderline obnoxious personalities. JC the least annoying, but still pretty "Hollywood". Lonzo is a leader, but guys with a ton of "swag" aren't going to follow him...JC and DLO were following nick as an example of how to be an NBA player. Minimal work, maximum partying. All good, that's how they roll..but I'd much rather have a bunch of chill humble guys who care about basketball and are going to put in the work and play for each other.

Great signing. JC is definitely gone...they don't mention him, just signed a starter for his position and drafted (Hart) another guy and already have brewer on the roster. He won't make it to training camp IMO.

BTW, how cold is it to give KCP DLO's number? DLO is out the door, replaced in the lineup by a player everybody seems to really like and they give his number away first chance...Ice cold man...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Maybe we should stop these introductions. That was the most cringe worthy one I've ever seen. KCP had nothing to say. Just let your play do the talking KCP.

I think he looked self-conscious. He doesn't appear to be a public speaker type, maybe because his English isn't as prim and proper as others', which is not a crime by any means, but it sounds the case. He seemed more at ease talking face-to-face with Brezma afterwards. One-to-one, you don't have the anxiety of being the focus of an "official" press conference. It was clear Magic and Lowe took the reins to fill in the time with their jibba-jabba.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I think he looked self-conscious. He doesn't appear to be a public speaker type, maybe because his English isn't as prim and proper as others', which is not a crime by any means, but it sounds the case. He seemed more at ease talking face-to-face with Brezma afterwards. One-to-one, you don't have the anxiety of being the focus of an "official" press conference. It was clear Magic and Lowe took the reins to fill in the time with their jibba-jabba.

Yeah no offense to KCP, but that was not a very good press conference in terms of show casing his personality or giving meaningful insight. But that's okay. It's a tough skill to develop. We got so spoiled watching Kobe speak so well for 20 years. I still watched every minute of that press conference yesterday though
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:

That would be amazing but I don't think that playing defense is in Jule's DNA. I hope he proves me wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

I think it would be a great backcourt for the future. Not just good, but great.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rich Paul reached out to the Los Angeles Lakers about their interest in Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as he knew they had ample cap space this offseason that they were trying to preserve for 2018.

“Rich had called us with a possibility he would consider us for a one-year deal,” Magic Johnson said. “Rob and I really started watching film and we were just blown away. ... I wanted somebody mean and tough that we could count on to get that big stop for us.”

Caldwell-Pope signed a one-year, $18 million deal with the Lakers.

Johnson and Rob Pelinka both thanked Paul for his work in helping the deal go smoothly.

Doesn't sound like Pope was even on their radar. They hadn't even watched film on him until Paul called.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
ocho wrote:
These press conferences are following a pattern...

MAGIC: Welcome everyone. We are very excited to introduce our new player. He reminds me of my playing days, running the break with Michael Cooper and Byron on the wing...

ROB: Magic, I'd like to add to that but first I'd like all the reporters to sit around me Indian style so I can begin story time.

MAGIC: We felt we needed a strong 2-way presence, similar to having 2 ways to dish it to Michael Cooper or Byron on the wing back when I played.

(Rob nestles into a rocking chair and lights a corncobb pipe.)

ROB: Leviticus tells us that "He has risen. Come see the place where he lay" and it was at that moment I knew we had secured Deron Williams for the vet min.

MAGIC: ....Grab the rebound, push the pace "oh look! Is that Michael Cooper to my left? Is that Byron on my right?

(Rob motions for the lights to be turned off, and then shines a flashlight under his chin)

ROB: You guys know me, you know a story is coming. Buckle up. So KCPs agent called me and said hed sign a 1 year deal for $18M and I said "Cool." That's the whole story I guess.

MAGIC: Questions?

REPORTER: Any plans for how you intend to use Clarkson next season?

MAGIC: I don't know who that is.

Lol

He tied the bread falling to KCP. LMAO

Yeah he did. The point being just as the manna from heaven was a miracle, the Lakers, until Pope signed, had no chance of signing someone like him, hence similar to a miracle.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

GabKoost wrote:
KCP seemed overwhelmed by LA press! His presentation was so cringe that i felt awkwardly bad for the kid!

Anyway, i hope that he doesn't start to tremble when looking at the Staples Center first row during official games..

Talking ball, i think his presence will definitely make our guard play less of a scorer sector but a serving one. Unlike most NBA teams, we will establish our foundations and stability from the back court while the scoring will be made by our wings and front court.

He was nervous as hell for sure. He did much better on the one one interviews he had. If he took up defending Steph, Harden, and best players on other teams, it shows he doesn't get nervous when playing.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I think it would be a great backcourt for the future. Not just good, but great.

I'm liking the positivity VLF!
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

KCP is going to have a career year playing next to Lonzo plus he has a lot riding on this season for his future contract. I can see him putting up: 16.5ppg/4rpg/3apg on 43/38/83 shooting.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
KCP is going to have a career year playing next to Lonzo plus he has a lot riding on this season for his future contract. I can see him putting up: 16.5ppg/4rpg/3apg on 43/38/83 shooting.

Any offense to me is just icing on the cake. This team needs defenders and I think that KCP has the right attitude to be nasty on that end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 23 of 182
Jump to: