Thank You David Nwaba (Lakers waive Nwaba, Picked up by the Bulls)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Doesn't hurt as much when you never really see him as part of the rotation. I think he would have battled Kuzma for some SF time, or Hart for some guard time. I just hope Brewer is not the new Price taking away valuable minutes that should go to the kids.

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
KCP

Zubac
Nance
Kuzma / Nwaba
Clarkson
Hart / Nwaba

Good thing Byron is no longer our coach.

Still, I wasn't a big fan of the less than 24 minutes per person 10-11 man rotation that Luke was doing earlier in the year. The top 4 players of every team in the league played 33+ minutes. I think too much was attributed to the second unit for the early success, so he coached and substituted around his second unit. When in fact, it simply boiled down to Nick and Lou shooting out of their minds. When players got injured, I thought he would become more traditional, and just use 9 guys, and be like the rest of the league where the top 4 players get the majority of the minutes. But nope, he simply plugged in Huertes or Calderon and continued giving minutes away to scrubs all in the name of having two groups of players.

If Magic and Pelinka are micro managers, this is the one aspect I would like to see them get involved in.

I can fully see Magic and Pelinka being more hands on and I am OK with it at the moment. Luke is a young coach and has no real proven record of success. (You cannot take his small run with the best team in basketball as a true sign of success... Mike Brown also showed that he could succeed in that role and he stunk up the joint at his last two previous stints)

Magic and Pelinka's decisions and involvement will be based on their long term plan for this team, and the way that key pieces are developed this year is very crucial to the bigger picture. For that reason, I'm all-in for their plan and Luke needs to be on their page, not the other way around.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

TomSeaver wrote:
He'll get through waivers. You guys always overrate the scrubs on this team

No kidding. How can you want the Lakers to be competitive enough to make the playoffs and still keep an entire bench of players that are borderline NBA players?

Summer league is fun because of the competition and watching player you don't see a lot, but it is worlds away from top level NBA games. Nwamba is a decent player that might be OK as a deep bench guy that can play of there are injures and not mess things up, but he isn't back up material for a playoff caliber team.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Doesn't hurt as much when you never really see him as part of the rotation. I think he would have battled Kuzma for some SF time, or Hart for some guard time. I just hope Brewer is not the new Price taking away valuable minutes that should go to the kids.

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
KCP

Zubac
Nance
Kuzma / Nwaba
Clarkson
Hart / Nwaba

Still, I wasn't a big fan of the less than 24 minutes per person 10-11 man rotation that Luke was doing earlier in the year. The top 4 players of every team in the league played 33+ minutes. I think too much was attributed to the second unit for the early success, so he coached and substituted around his second unit. When in fact, it simply boiled down to Nick and Lou shooting out of their minds. When players got injured, I thought he would become more traditional, and just use 9 guys, and be like the rest of the league where the top 4 players get the majority of the minutes. But nope, he simply plugged in Huertes or Calderon and continued giving minutes away to scrubs all in the name of having two groups of players.

If Magic and Pelinka are micro managers, this is the one aspect I would like to see them get involved in.

I can fully see Magic and Pelinka being more hands on and I am OK with it at the moment. Luke is a young coach and has no real proven record of success. (You cannot take his small run with the best team in basketball as a true sign of success... Mike Brown also showed that he could succeed in that role and he stunk up the joint at his last two previous stints)

Magic and Pelinka's decisions and involvement will be based on their long term plan for this team, and the way that key pieces are developed this year is very crucial to the bigger picture. For that reason, I'm all-in for their plan and Luke needs to be on their page, not the other way around.

I couldn't disagree more, with this sentiment.

Whether one liked, or disliked, Luke's rotation/substitution patterns last season, or his relative inexperience as a head coach, that's exactly what the Lakers hired him to be. The head coach. So you let the man do his job. If you don't like it, fire him, and replace him. You don't try to do his job for him, from the sidelines, ala. Knick's former president, Phil Jackson. That just leads to dysfunction.

Granted, you want your FO, and your coach, to be on the same page. When Jeanie brought in Magic and Pelinka, I'm sure they had conversations with Luke, about the team, and their vision. If the new FO and Luke weren't on the same page, I doubt Luke would still be here.

Let Magic, and Pelinka, do their job building the team, while Luke coaches.

ZOOM!!!!!!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

😢 Hoping he finds his way back but we needed Pope
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Good. I said Nwaba was good as done after KCP and how he was gonna be a bench warmer if not outed.

KCP does the same thing while being not a total liability on offense.

Nwaba is basically a poor man's Andre Robinson. And Andre is garbage too so that's saying something.
apples
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe teams have a wink wink nudge nudge thing going on where role players that get waived due to salary cap / roster manipulation are left unclaimed so the teams that dropped them can get them back?
You leave my guy alone, I'll leave your guy alone...
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Good. I said Nwaba was good as done after KCP and how he was gonna be a bench warmer if not outed.

Nwaba is basically a poor man's Andre Robinson. And Andre is garbage too so that's saying something.

Ridiculous comment, you're comparing a starter (albeit borderline) to a guy making the minimum. Nwaba is a good player, not a star and not a starter, but a contributor.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Ridiculous comment, you're comparing a starter (albeit borderline) to a guy making the minimum. Nwaba is a good player, not a star and not a starter, but a contributor.
Let's also stop perpetuating the myth that KCP is some kind of defensive magician, he's not. He's never been on a NBA All Defensive team and was released because his team got a real defender, Avery Bradley.

Last edited by kevin61 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

And I bet you wasn't staying that when Robinson was putting career nights on us.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Best case scenario LA signs KCP at the higher number which will help increase our non-bird rights to him if we can do CP3 like deals in landing our two max guys while we stay over the cap, sign Bryant to a 4-year min deal with mid July guarantees (especially for next year) and resign Nwaba to a 2-year deal also with a later guarantee date.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Best case scenario LA signs KCP at the higher number which will help increase our non-bird rights to him if we can do CP3 like deals in landing our two max guys while we stay over the cap, sign Bryant to a 4-year min deal with mid July guarantees (especially for next year) and resign Nwaba to a 2-year deal also with a later guarantee date.

Exactly right, it could work out very well. Let's all hope so.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Felt like his tenacity on defense was missed in this game
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

DEFINITELY! however I have a feeling that he will be back in a day or two.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Yea we could use that utility
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

I was looking forward to a possible "Doberman" bench group consisting of:

Nance
Ingram
Nwaba
KCP
Hart

Maybe Ingram could have been the distributor in that group.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

Absolutely. He is so athletic and so quick on D. And he can finish at the rim with the best of them. Outside of Nance, we really don't have any high flyer dunkers on the team now. Taking it to the rim is Pope's main weakness so I do hope that Nwaba can clear waivers and that we can bring him back!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
KCP

Zubac
Nance
Kuzma / Nwaba
Clarkson
Hart / Nwaba

Luke is a young coach but Pelinka has never coached and Magic sucked ass as a coach. They need to be hands off or we might lose a promising young coach. Surely they aren't that stupid?
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
DanielKetch wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
KCP

Zubac
Nance
Kuzma / Nwaba
Clarkson
Hart / Nwaba

Luke is a young coach but Pelinka has never coached and Magic sucked ass as a coach. They need to be hands off or we might lose a promising young coach. Surely they aren't that stupid?

Plus, we all know that at a certain point in the season, the tank was on in an effort to secure the best possible odds to keep the pick. That's when you get these extended looks of oddball lineups and DLeague call-ups etc. I'm not concerned at all about the rotations. Talk to me in 6 months as we have zero incentive to not play to win each game this upcoming season.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

"Talk to me in 6 months as we have zero incentive to not play to win each game this upcoming season."

AMEN TO THAT!

RIP
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
"Talk to me in 6 months as we have zero incentive to not play to win each game this upcoming season."

AMEN TO THAT!

RIP

Yes, thank goodness for that. I think that Magic and Pelinka have been around enough to know that coaching is Luke's gig. I was one of the few who supported Phil when he threw West out of practice, the court was Phil's domain, same as it is with Luke.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Absolutely. He is so athletic and so quick on D. And he can finish at the rim with the best of them. Outside of Nance, we really don't have any high flyer dunkers on the team now. Taking it to the rim is Pope's main weakness so I do hope that Nwaba can clear waivers and that we can bring him back!

Would have been a nice piece that would likely be one of the few survivors of the 2018 massacre that's coming.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Still no waiver pickup for Nwaba. Looks like it might have been a prudent move if we keep DN and gain flexibility for future moves.
Lakersmafia
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Still no waiver pickup for Nwaba. Looks like it might have been a prudent move if we keep DN and gain flexibility for future moves.

I'll be pissed if someone swoops in at the last second and claim him
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

Whats the deadline to clear waivers?
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Whats the deadline to clear waivers?

Waivers clear after 48hours
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: