Grade Magic & Rob - Summary of FO Moves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Rate Magic & Rob's First Offseason
A+
20%
 20%  [ 42 ]
A
29%
 29%  [ 62 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 35 ]
B+
14%
 14%  [ 30 ]
B
7%
 7%  [ 15 ]
B-
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
C
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 209

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
These post are hilarious. Is like yeah you can't hit a homerun without swinging the bat. The moves they made are them swinging the bat. If they miss they miss but better than being in the batters box like the last couple seasons.

True. Chris Carter is just as valuable as Mike Trout, right? So what if Carter struck out 76 times in 184 at bats? He swung the bat!

Seriously, I really don't mean to be Debbie Downer about this stuff. I'm glad some of you are optimistic about the free agency strategy. I hope it works out. My memories from ten years ago are too vivid for me to share your optimism. Hopefully, I'm just jaded.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

This probably could have gone in the grade Magic/Rob thread. But for now, I will add I have been very critical of Magic. And while I stilll don't agree with his plan, I do think we have a nice roster to put out this year.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
This probably could have gone in the grade Magic/Rob thread. But for now, I will add I have been very critical of Magic. And while I stilll don't agree with his plan, I do think we have a nice roster to put out this year.

Same here
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

I won't applaud Maginka yet for any of the moves they've made, because they either smack of short-sightedness, or I'm not convinced that Jim and Mitch couldn't have done the same. I believe that the Jim and Mitch Lakers could have purchased the Bulls' 38th pick instead of the Warriors, and I don't believe in celebrating the signings of Brook Lopez and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope when they're likely going to be one year players.

I will say that they've injected an excitement in Lakerdom that hasn't been present for a very long time, and that gives the Lakers a better chance at nabbing big-name free agents, which is why I'm reserving full judgement until 2020 to see if their moves paid off. If the Lakers haven't reached the NBA Finals by then, then I would say Maginka failed.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

Magic/Pelinka = Lonzo
Jesse Buss = Kuzma, Hart, Bryant (and JC and Nance)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
B+

If you're willing to trade DAR, why not use him as part of a PG13 trade OR even something else more creative than a salary dump?

I know people are crappy on Mozzy and Deng, but those two vets helped get the Lakers wins. I'm not convinced about 2 max star FAs, but would have been happy with room for 1, plus a team already blended together with chemistry for a year or two.

As if Deng, Randle, DAR couldn't net something significant?!?

Deng = a player no team wants at that price & length of contract.
DAR = a player the rest of the NBA is clearly not as high on as Lakers fans.
Randle = contract year; risk as he may command major guap next off season.

So no, I do not think those 3 would have netted something significant.

Please. DAR and Mozzy netted a 20ppg scorer and arguably the best shooter on the team. Can't just look at the negative of each player and go into the trade process cutting off possibilities.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

I think evaluating this offseason you have to ask what are the FO responsibilities...

1. To improve the roster

2. To maintain cap flexibility

3. To provide the best environment and support for existing player develoment.

Is our roster better than it was at this point last year?

Is our cap situation better?

Is our player development and support staff better?

Objectively the answer to all 3 is yes.

So my question is...if you gave a grade below an A what could they have done differently to be able to earn an A?

Else...there was no scenario they could have earned an A.

You retain DLo...you dont get the better C in Lopez, offload an albatross contract for an expiring or get Kuzma with the 27th...and you arent in a position to get KCP...the return for Dlo is insanely good.

Would you rather go after a Hayward or save your money to go after PG and a max friend?

Would you rather swing for the fences or swing for the fences and have 2 backup plans that still look great? We only get PG we can keep KCP and Jules. We get no one...very unlikely...we resigb what we have.

I just dont see what more Magic and Rob could of done to improve this roster...really completely overhaul it into a new culture that values hustle on D and pushing the pace at the same time in 4 month.

It's possible to grade them on just their actual moves and not say incomplete...because if a grade is incomplete then you could literally say that every year.

We all knew mozDeng was an F- summer...I dont see one move so far that looks anything remotely close to that abomination.

#BannersOverBillboards
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

The score is incomplete at this stage on Maginka. I really like the draft choices, but a big part of that is that Magic and Rob made a good choice in leaving the college scouting group intact. I will say they made a pretty decent move in trading down to pick up an extra player, taking advantage of the good scouting we have, and the end result is we have 4 good draftees including Kuzma, Hart and Bryant.

I understand needing to dump Mosgov's contract; but I don't think getting rid of DLO was a win for the Lakers. I think it was a very steep price, which could possibly be compensated for by the so-far exceptional play of Ball and Kuzma. IF the summer league success translates to real NBA games I'd say we came out OK on that end.

Dumping Mozgov's contract and his 2 rebounds per game and getting a year of Brooke Lopez was a big win, no doubt about that. KCP is also a win, but again we're talking 1 year contracts. The real test is who we wind up with for free agents next year, and how much of a sustainable core and future draft picks we're left with in the process of getting these superstars.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

I just hope they get the right FA next season. Dont care if its two max. Just get the right players that we wont need to sacrifice any more of our youth. Namely Ingram.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Kuzma potential is not >> Randle potential.

I do wanna say tho, what is characteristic of this FO's draft picks so far is that they are all players that would play well with Lonzo ball. They are truly going all in on him
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

They're doing a good job working with limited resources. Only Lord knows how much more they could've accomplished if they didn't have to work around Mozgov/Deng's contracts.

I haven't seen much of KCP. If we strike out on PG13 would he be a decent consolation prize?
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

Getting rid of DLo was addition by subtraction and immediately upping the maturity level. He couldn't play defense and I doubt very much he could keep up with Lonzo's pace with his lack of foot speed. Nothing but A moves by Maginka so far.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

I think it's still TBD on the Russell move, but I give them a plus so far based on bringing in KCP. I think they've made the team better in the short-run, while positioning them to be better long-run.

My biggest reservation about bringing in Ball was the (lack of) defensive combo of Russell/Ball. So they've made that a non-issue, and at least for now are sliding a solid defender beside Ball, which is a necessity, imo.

I like the Hart pick (potentially Brogdon-esque), and Kuzma looks like he will put pressure on Randle to up his defensive game (and jumpshot game).

Thomas Bryant looks like a rich man's Tarik. As a Kentucky fan, I've known about Bryant for a while. We stopped recruiting him, he went to Indiana and torched us in the round of 32 with his hustle. Cal praised him afterwards and admitted that he missed the boat on Bryant.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject:

Gotta give it to them. I was skeptical but theyve done great so far.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

Only thing they've done right is Lonzo and nearly blew that too.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

I think they've done a great job of potentially improving the team from last season all the while being positioned to sign at least 1 max player. That's not an easy proposition. Combine that with bringing on personnel that fit the more modern style of winning basketball and they've surpassed my expectations. To me, they get credit for having a vision and being steadfast to it. Whether it comes to fruition remains to be seen. But they definitely are not resorting to half-measures at this point, which is what got the Lakers into trouble in the most recent past.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

It would take at least a few seasons to determine if they have been successful.

But from the first look they have started off with a bang.

The play of the team this year will be a big factor.
It actually will be the most CRITICAL season for the Lakers i
7 years.

The season will determine if the Lakers get into the playoffs.
And if the Lakers make the playoffs Paul George is a greater chance to come to the Lakers. And other FAs also.

But if they don't look good the Lakers will fall behind surging teams like the Celtics, Timberwolves, Houston, OKC, Pelicans, and even the Kings. And it will be too hard to overcome for lots of years.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

Hated the Dlo trade at first but this what we got...

Lopez a top 10 center who we have the option of re-signing next year.
Kuzma who looks like his ceiling may be as high as Dlos.
Pope who probably would not have signed if Dlo was here and we also have the option to re-sgin next year
Got rid of one of the worst contracts in the Nba in Mozgov.
Got rid of the only bad apple on our team who apparently was a cancer.
Made room for a second max contract for next year which could potentially be LAbron, Pg, Westbrook, Cousins or Pope.

To me this is winning all the way around.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: As critical as I've been of Magic Pelinka I must say

Car54 wrote:
Kuzma potential >> Randles
Bryant potential >> Zubac
I like the Pope signing and will probably love it by game 15 of the season. I won't give them full credit for the scouting but Magic Pelinka did make the final decisions to draft these players. I think pope can be elevated to the level of a 20ppg player playing next to Zo. I credit them for picking Lonzo over the other options. It's easy to pick these athletic scoring PGs over a pass first one but I think Zo has once in a generation type of talent. SG are not gonna get a break with Pope Hart Brewer defending them. Then SF have to deal with Ingram Kuzma Deng Brewer. This is gonna be an exciting team.

Kuzma's ceiling seems to be superb 2-way role player whereas you have Luke thinking JR has Draymond Green potential so I think that's premature.

Bryant and Zubac give us different looks - both active bigs, one with more range, the other with better inside scoring ability. I think Zubac still has more starting potential, although on a 20-25 minute basis at most.

I do love what Magic and Rob have done so far though. I'm genuinely optimistic that we have at least 2 players with superstar potential (Lonzo, BI), 2 with All-star potential (JR, KCP), and a solid cast of young 2-way players (Kuzma, Hart, Zubac, Bryant, Nance). And that's before you throw in the 2 potential MAX slots.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

I have to especially credit them the trade of Dlo. Dlo gets talents but seems not a good teammate or leader. He may have some negative impacts to this young team. By the way, his role in playmaking and scoring may duplicate with Ball and Ingram, both get all star potential and need room to grow. Magic quickly traded him for an all star talented and role model player in Lopez, a pick turn out to be Kuzma and unload the bad contract of Mozgov to allow us 2 max next year.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
Getting rid of DLo was addition by subtraction and immediately upping the maturity level. He couldn't play defense and I doubt very much he could keep up with Lonzo's pace with his lack of foot speed. Nothing but A moves by Maginka so far.

I agree, definitely addition by subtraction.

We need everyone pulling the rope in the same direction.

Maglinka obviously looking to change the culture and it was clear a change in the culture had to happen. No way you could have gone into this season with the same group of soft players as last season not competing hard.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

After the last game on ESPN, Luke said he was thrilled the FO was able to get KCP. Said there's a different vibe/energy with the new management. They are beginning to attract high-caliber free agents.

Also, it's not a surprise PG expressed his interest in joining the Lakers after the management change. This ain't a coincidence, people. Players want to be here.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's all relative. I have two different angles here: Short term and long term grades.

My grading curve is from a 26 win team's perspective. If this squad can win 35 games, we have improved (and kept our 2018 plans intact).

Long term is impossible to factor in and grade right now for me.

Okay, but our goal is not to become a 35 win team. We've all got our eyes on the long term, even though we know that it is uncertain. Perhaps the major reason why I am more negative than many of the folks in this thread is that I am skeptical of any strategy that is dependent on major free agent signings.

I've linked this old thread before. This came a few days after Kobe announced that he would rather play on Pluto. Ten years later, we're in the same position, except that Kobe is now retired and has not demanded a trade. Mitch pulled out his magic wand, and a year later we were playing the Celtics in the Finals. But the only free agent we signed was Derek Fisher (unless you count D.J. Mbenga and Coby Karl).

Last several years Heat got Lebron and Bosh. Cavs got Lebron. Spurs got Aldridge. Warriors got KD. Rockets got Howard and cP3. Celtics got Horford and Hayward. The 2018 free agent class is the biggest in a long time and the list of teams with cap space for 1 max is the lowest in a long time. Next year is the perfect storm to have cap space.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I think evaluating this offseason you have to ask what are the FO responsibilities...

1. To improve the roster

2. To maintain cap flexibility

3. To provide the best environment and support for existing player develoment.

Is our roster better than it was at this point last year?

Is our cap situation better?

Is our player development and support staff better?

Objectively the answer to all 3 is yes.

So my question is...if you gave a grade below an A what could they have done differently to be able to earn an A?

Else...there was no scenario they could have earned an A.

You retain DLo...you dont get the better C in Lopez, offload an albatross contract for an expiring or get Kuzma with the 27th...and you arent in a position to get KCP...the return for Dlo is insanely good.

Would you rather go after a Hayward or save your money to go after PG and a max friend?

Would you rather swing for the fences or swing for the fences and have 2 backup plans that still look great? We only get PG we can keep KCP and Jules. We get no one...very unlikely...we resigb what we have.

I just dont see what more Magic and Rob could of done to improve this roster...really completely overhaul it into a new culture that values hustle on D and pushing the pace at the same time in 4 month.

It's possible to grade them on just their actual moves and not say incomplete...because if a grade is incomplete then you could literally say that every year.

We all knew mozDeng was an F- summer...I dont see one move so far that looks anything remotely close to that abomination.

Agree 100%, I need to know from the people that graded below a B how the FO can get an A in there eyes. Pretty tough crowd when they started with a pretty crappy card to begin with (MozDeng).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
After the last game on ESPN, Luke said he was thrilled the FO was able to get KCP. Said there's a different vibe/energy with the new management. They are beginning to attract high-caliber free agents.

Also, it's not a surprise PG expressed his interest in joining the Lakers after the management change. This ain't a coincidence, people. Players want to be here.

The Caruso effect
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: