Grade Magic & Rob - Summary of FO Moves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Do You Rate Magic & Rob's First Offseason
A+
20%
 20%  [ 42 ]
A
29%
 29%  [ 62 ]
A-
16%
 16%  [ 35 ]
B+
14%
 14%  [ 30 ]
B
7%
 7%  [ 15 ]
B-
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
C
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 209

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If they sign two maxes in 2018, an A, if they don't, a D. Too early to grade since the DLO trade isn't complete until 2018.

This. I still get a little upset when I think about Ball/DLO/Ingram all growing together. We could have found other ways to get to 2 max player territory without dumping a likely future star.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

This is why you can't have rationale discussions with some folks...

Just a silly thing to say when someone is offering a different opinion. Discussion is not about everyone agreeing. Perhaps you are looking for an appreciative audience and not a discussion?

Gotcha...so he can have an opinion...but I can't have a response to it...

It's perfectly ok to have your own opinion...and to express it regardless...and It's perfectly ok to discuss the merits of that opinion on it's face value.

Do you really want to defend an opinion that this offseason is the same as the Moz/Deng offseason that cost us DLo? Because if you do...that's cool...but it defies objective logic and an impartial review of the facts that we have to compare and formulate opinions from.

We're not talking about a disagreement on the shade of blue in the sky...in this instance he's calling the sky plaid with polkadots.

Just my opinion...

My reaction was to the bolded. You are saying you can't have a discussion because he is not rational. I do not necessarily agree with his opinion, but it was certainly rational.
I would still rate this year as incomplete until we find out if they land their fa targets next season, which is the linchpin of their strategy.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

I take my B vote back.

Drafting Ball makes this summer an A+
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
amazing FO - A+. they changed Randal's name to Randle. That's an unprecedented FO move.

JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I take my B vote back.

Drafting Ball makes this summer an A+

This guy alone brings us back to relevance in the NBA.

I am very happy to watch him play in Summer League and hopefully we will see the same impact in the regular season.

I believe he will help Randle come to fruition as a high caliber player and I am very excited to watch our team again this year, something I have not been for many years.

Ball is a guy other All-Stars will want to play with. We are going to build around him and the 2018 free agency is irrelevant now because we will get the other stars around him whether in 18, 19 or 20. And probably we already have one in Ingram.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Just a silly thing to say when someone is offering a different opinion. Discussion is not about everyone agreeing. Perhaps you are looking for an appreciative audience and not a discussion?

Gotcha...so he can have an opinion...but I can't have a response to it...

It's perfectly ok to have your own opinion...and to express it regardless...and It's perfectly ok to discuss the merits of that opinion on it's face value.

Do you really want to defend an opinion that this offseason is the same as the Moz/Deng offseason that cost us DLo? Because if you do...that's cool...but it defies objective logic and an impartial review of the facts that we have to compare and formulate opinions from.

We're not talking about a disagreement on the shade of blue in the sky...in this instance he's calling the sky plaid with polkadots.

Just my opinion...

My reaction was to the bolded. You are saying you can't have a discussion because he is not rational. I do not necessarily agree with his opinion, but it was certainly rational.
I would still rate this year as incomplete until we find out if they land their fa targets next season, which is the linchpin of their strategy.

And this is where we disagree...

It's not ratinal imo to say Moz/Deng is the same as everything that has happened this offseason.

2 horrific signing is not rationally the same as all the good of this new admin...where is their Moz or their Deng this offseason?

Thus the plaid and polka dot sky comment.

We can agree to disagree...and you have a right to come to the defense of an indefensible position...the question is why would you want to?

Love Oregon btw....moving up there soon.

#BannersOverBillboards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

With the KCP signing, for the 2017 offseason, I upgrade to an "A."

There is no way to judge how the DLO trade turns out until July 2018, so I'm not factoring that in for my 2017 offseason grade.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Entirely different atmosphere, spirit and direction. A breath of fresh air.

The Lakers are finally trending upward!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Yes, because we know the sports world is built on hype. That has always been the case. We have a FO that embraces hype instead of one that worked in silence. The results likely won't be much different but gullible fans will buy into it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

It does feel that way. 90% of it is just Zo, though.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Yes, because we know the sports world is built on hype. That has always been the case. We have a FO that embraces hype instead of one that worked in silence. The results likely won't be much different but gullible fans will buy into it.

This poster was being positive. Your constant negativity and criticism towards the front office is getting old. And you do this in all threads. There's a new piss and moan thread created and stickied in the Lakers Lounge. I suggest you use this next time you feel the urge to express negativity and piss and moan about the front office. And to call fans gullible is condescending.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Judah wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
I wonder what grade everyone would give last offseason in comparison to this one.

At this point, about the same, really. But this strategy has more potential upside in the short run, by which I mean 2018. If the front office delivers on the free agents, we will remember this offseason fondly.

CervantesRises wrote:
Magic is clearly a leader and Jim clearly was never going to figure it out either and that's why I give this offseason an A to A+.

In the words of John Wooden, never mistake activity for achievement. I'm open minded about what Magic is doing. However, I remember how the same strategy worked out ten years ago. We have a better core of young players now than we did then, though of course we don't have Kobe.

About the same? Even after the acquisition of KCP? Really?

I literally just stated the facts of this new administration since March 21st and for some it's the same as us signing Moz/Deng to the 2 worst contracts in our history during the same offseason...

Sounds like a discussion to me! Perhaps AH can expand on his opinion that this offseason and last offseason should be graded the same?

Actually, I did explain it, both in the quoted text and in a longer post on the first page of this thread. The success of this off-season is contingent on the free agency strategy working. Otherwise, it was a lackluster off-season.

Let's take future free agents out of the equation for the moment. The FO made a lopsided trade with the Nets to clear cap space, but that has no value unless we sign free agents. The FO drafted Ball, which was the obvious pick. The FO essentially inherited the pick, so why do they get extra credit for it? The FO made some little moves that produced Kuzma, Hart, and Bryant, but the FO also had to let Nwaba go. The FO splashed a bunch of cash for a one-year rental of a guy with potential. Unless we assume that Magic really has some major free agents lined up, we just spun our wheels for another off-season.

The older posters remember the free agency strategy from the post-Snaq era. We ended up wasting several years waiting for Yao or Amare or Lebron to come and sign with us as free agents. Maybe it will work this time. Until it does, I'm not giving Magic bonus points for rolling the dice.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

See my comments in the KCP thread. I'm open minded about his potential, but I'm not sure why some of you are getting so excited about KCP. He's an average shooter (slightly below average on threes) and was a below average defender last year (though he was better than average in '16). RCS and some of the others have persuaded me that there is some logic behind the signing, but again, I don't understand why some of you are getting so excited.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Your constant negativity and criticism towards the front office is getting old. And you do this in all threads. There's a new piss and moan thread created and stickied in the Lakers Lounge. I suggest you use this next time you feel the urge to express negativity and piss and moan about the front office.

Sorry man, nothing negative in my post, it is factual. Since Magic/Bird the NBA (and most major sports) have survived on hype. Mitch and Jim didn't play that game and it was a detriment to them. Magic does play that game. Maybe concentrate on making a sensible post and leave the moderating to the mods?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Your constant negativity and criticism towards the front office is getting old. And you do this in all threads. There's a new piss and moan thread created and stickied in the Lakers Lounge. I suggest you use this next time you feel the urge to express negativity and piss and moan about the front office.

Sorry man, nothing negative in my post, it is factual. Since Magic/Bird the NBA (and most major sports) have survived on hype. Mitch and Jim didn't play that game and it was a detriment to them. Magic does play that game. Maybe concentrate on making a sensible post and leave the moderating to the mods?

The poster was being positive. I suggest you read the rules in the sticked negativity thread. Your resentment towards the FO is palpable and calling fans gullible is condescending. I reported you.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Judah wrote:

See my comments in the KCP thread. I'm open minded about his potential, but I'm not sure why some of you are getting so excited about KCP. He's an average shooter (slightly below average on threes) and was a below average defender last year (though he was better than average in '16). RCS and some of the others have persuaded me that there is some logic behind the signing, but again, I don't understand why some of you are getting so excited.

I am one who is a fan of KCP but gave the FO a grade of incomplete in free agency since he isn't a part of our future. Adding him wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was just a transaction.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

I just think it's impossible to grade the future impact of the DLO trade.

I can only evaluate what's in front of me:

1. draft Lonzo, Kuz, Hart, Bryant. (A)
2. obtain Lopez (A)
3. sign KCP on 1 year deal (A)
4. sign Caruso on 2 way deal (A).

Questions that need to be answered:

1. is this team better than last year's team? Yes.
2. from a cap standpoint, do the deals given in 2017 allow us to have 2 max in 2018 (aside from moving JC/Jules/Deng, which will happen)? Yes.

So in terms of moves for the upcoming season alone, it's an A.

Now long-term, to be determined. If we miss out on 2 stars in 2018, then taking the totality of it all, it was a miss.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Judah wrote:

Yeah, it's an emotional quandary for some and not for others.

I'm not excited by the signing. When an average player comes in at a high price, but represents an upgrade to the roster, how should one feel ?

Betwixt.

I'm marginally happy about having a better player than was here before, but also I'm guarded, disappointed in the FO. I'm disappointed to see the Lakers spend so much just to to get what looks like an average NBA guard for it. I've complained about ticket prices in the past, but here's the most recent factor which leads to steadily higher prices: spending on labor so freely.

We fans just have to accept it, and we LG users can't really vocalize much about it anymore without offering cogent, reasonable explanations. Here's mine.
hellsling
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

I give the Lakers an A for drafting, but for trades/signing so far D or incomplete.

I don't consider Lopez or KCP great pieces. While they are good players, they are one year rentals that will leave next off season to the highest bidder. I do not consider them part of the Laker core

I also don't like the reasoning of dumping Mozgov's contract and still being short on cap space. We still need to find ways to dump Clarkson or Deng to be able to offer two max contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. obtain Lopez (A)

2. from a cap standpoint, do the deals given in 2017 allow us to have 2 max in 2018 (aside from moving JC/Jules/Deng, which will happen)? Yes.

Now long-term, to be determined. If we miss out on 2 stars in 2018, then taking the totality of it all, it was a miss.

I had them winning up to 34 games without the DLO trade and after I think they win as many as 36. No big difference. But I hope they surprise me.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Judah wrote:

Best signing for whatever we offer. I think he can move a needle a little bit, just not enough for us to change our plan. He's also a good fit next to Lonzo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. obtain Lopez (A)

At this point, I'd give the Lonzo Ball pick an A, but then it was the obvious pick. As for the other moves -- some late first/early second draft picks, a couple one year rentals, and signing some nobody to a D league contract -- if you are handing out A's, you're setting a pretty low standard.

To answer your questions, this team might be better than last year's team, but the biggest factor is likely to be the maturation of the existing players. Ball might be a plus or a minus this year compared to Russell. You never know with rookie PGs, and the summer league is no guarantee of anything. Ingram looked ready to start breaking out. Randle looks like he is getting serious. Zubac strikes me as a guy who might have a lower ceiling than a lot of folks had hoped, but we shall see.

As for your second question, you answered it in your final paragraph. That's why I give this off-season a C-. If we can't land a couple major impact free agents, then we just traded Russell for essentially nothing. Lonzo Ball might redeem the off-season, but as you say, the totality would be a miss.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Judah wrote:

Best signing for whatever we offer. I think he can move a needle a little bit, just not enough for us to change our plan. He's also a good fit next to Lonzo.

Yeah, that's more or less the way that RCS put it. I can buy that. Who knows? Maybe he will have some massive breakout season and make the doubters like me look silly. I could get into that. I love it when Laker players prove me wrong.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2. obtain Lopez (A)

At this point, I'd give the Lonzo Ball pick an A, but then it was the obvious pick. As for the other moves -- some late first/early second draft picks, a couple one year rentals, and signing some nobody to a D league contract -- if you are handing out A's, you're setting a pretty low standard.

To answer your questions, this team might be better than last year's team, but the biggest factor is likely to be the maturation of the existing players. Ball might be a plus or a minus this year compared to Russell. You never know with rookie PGs, and the summer league is no guarantee of anything. Ingram looked ready to start breaking out. Randle looks like he is getting serious. Zubac strikes me as a guy who might have a lower ceiling than a lot of folks had hoped, but we shall see.

As for your second question, you answered it in your final paragraph. That's why I give this off-season a C-. If we can't land a couple major impact free agents, then we just traded Russell for essentially nothing. Lonzo Ball might redeem the off-season, but as you say, the totality would be a miss.

It's all relative. I have two different angles here: Short term and long term grades.

My grading curve is from a 26 win team's perspective. If this squad can win 35 games, we have improved (and kept our 2018 plans intact).

Long term is impossible to factor in and grade right now for me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pio2u wrote:

The poster was being positive. I suggest you read the rules in the sticked negativity thread. Your resentment towards the FO is palpable and calling fans gullible is condescending. I reported you.

That is fine but it is unfortunate that you can't realize I was complementing the current FO on playing the media game very well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: