How to find a good primary care physician?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: How to find a good primary care physician?

I've been with Kaiser Permanente for a pretty long time. Always really liked my doctor, but he is relocating to the other side of the country, and I have to pick another one. I'm not really sure how to go about picking a good one. The only information I have about them is their picture, medical school and sometimes I can find reviews on third party sites, like healthgrades.com. But, other than that, I have no clue whether I'll end up liking them or not. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I research what school the Dr went to. I avoid doctors who go to those Caribbean medical schools or anything that looks like a third rate medical school for those who couldnt go to the real deal ones.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find a good primary care physician?

leor_77 wrote:
I've been with Kaiser Permanente for a pretty long time. Always really liked my doctor, but he is relocating to the other side of the country, and I have to pick another one. I'm not really sure how to go about picking a good one. The only information I have about them is their picture, medical school and sometimes I can find reviews on third party sites, like healthgrades.com. But, other than that, I have no clue whether I'll end up liking them or not. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

You should ask your current doctor for a referral. Also ask him if Lunesta is right for you.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

You guys actually go to a doctor in this country?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I research what school the Dr went to. I avoid doctors who go to those Caribbean medical schools or anything that looks like a third rate medical school for those who couldnt go to the real deal ones.

Ironically a good number of them are actually better clinicians than those out of the top 25 schools. I'm actually kind of appalled this methodology is still being used.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Strangely enough, I think the old guy/gal I'd like to have a beer with adage is the best when choosing a PCP. You as a patient will be much more likely to provide a good history aka tell the entire truth to a provider with which you identify. Likewise a PCP is more likely to go the extra mile for a patient with which he/she identifies. Criteria like med school rank(by the way the bulk of one's clinical training is done at their residency program not the med school they attended), MD,DO, Caribbean/Foreign Grad really should not be used as a determining factor.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to find a good primary care physician?

leor_77 wrote:

I'm a Kaiser member also. Sign up with Kaiser email option. kp.org. You can ask the doctor you have now to recommend a replacement. Is he still a Kaiser doctor?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

As an ex Kaiser member I have plenty of Kaiser horror stories so I wouldn't necessarily depend on them for a referral that would best suit your needs. Kaiser serves Kaiser needs first second and third.

I used to date a RN that worked for Kaiser. Her job was to keep an eye on their physicians and admonish them should they use too many Kaiser resources on their patients and to recommend discipline for non compliance. Now that was a woman with some issues.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Kinda (bleep) up for all the hard working folks who went to the Caribbean and "looks like third rate medical school".
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Kinda (bleep) up for all the hard working folks who went to the Caribbean and "looks like third rate medical school".

That's the risk they assumed. There's other careers out there.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Ironically a good number of them are actually better clinicians than those out of the top 25 schools. I'm actually kind of appalled this methodology is still being used.

I agree. A top medical school grad has the better GPA and test scores, and had more beds at the teaching hospital. That being said, those are not necessarily the best indicators after the physician has practiced for a number of years at a quality hospital. The desire and traits to become a quality practitioner are important and non-quantifiable attributes, and have probably no correlation to GPA or test scores.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

My friend, Mahmoud(Erick), went to some school in Antigua or somewhere in the Caribbean(I've seen the degree) and he's doing his residency for general surgeon. Just need about 10 months to get his license.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Does it matter where the primary care doctor went to?

It's just someone just checking on things and referring to someone else...
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Coming from Puerto Rico, that's straight up BS.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
rwongega wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I agree. A top medical school grad has the better GPA and test scores, and had more beds at the teaching hospital. That being said, those are not necessarily the best indicators after the physician has practiced for a number of years at a quality hospital. The desire and traits to become a quality practitioner are important and non-quantifiable attributes, and have probably no correlation to GPA or test scores.

Better GPA and test scores don't really correlate to better say, USMLE scores, which tends to correlate to a better residency (aka a better training facility). What you learn in your clinical years in medical school are generally universal across all accredited schools. It's what you learn in residency that makes you the doctor you are. If someone were to say judge a physician based on residency locations for a specialized treatment (i.e. surgery), then I would be more amenable. Plenty of high achievers in college end up in less desirable residencies because greatness in basic sciences don't lead to greatness at performing procedures/diagnosing.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Other than finding malpractice cases and civil suits that may or may not be public record, there's no good method for discerning quality because one person's good physician might be totally out of touch with someone else.

Alma mater won't work because of...controversial admission practices at the top flite unis.

You can look for a lack of ethics. This site lets you see how much money a doctor has taken from big pharma

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: