Could Kuzma Start At PF?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma has been very good in summer league, but let's be real for a moment and not act like everyone on the team isn't knocking down their shots. The reality is that Lonzo is creating very good looks for his teammates and I believe that part of the reason why they are shooting it so well i because Lonzo is doing all of the thinking for them. When they receive the pass from Lonzo all they have to do is finish, no thinking required. He's making the game easy on them.

There should really be a stat that tracks what shooting percentages are when someone shoots as a first option rather than when they have to red and then react. Let's see what Larry nance and randle look like in the same position as Kuzma while Also having another year of seasoning under their belts, I bet we will all be impressed.

Lonzo takes the thinking out of the game and make it easy for his teammates.

Not trying to take anything away from Kuzma, but I doubt he looks as good with any other point guard.

In the last two games they have played together, Lonzo has assisted on half of Kuzmas field goals. Ijs

Last edited by PICKnPOP on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

TBH I'd like to see him backing up Ingram going forward. If he can keep his 3PT pct around 35 and continue his solid D, he would make a great running made with Jordan, Hart, Nance and Zu in the second unit.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
this is not even pre-season, people are getting a little too excited about summer league. Its pretty evident we have some nice rookies, but its too soon to anoint them starters - save for Ball.

I think Kuzma will be buried on the bench at least to start the season.

Deng, Nance, Randle should all be ahead of him in the pecking order to start the season.

I don't want deng to get a single minute. Lets develop our young players instead
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
this is not even pre-season, people are getting a little too excited about summer league. Its pretty evident we have some nice rookies, but its too soon to anoint them starters - save for Ball.

I think Kuzma will be buried on the bench at least to start the season.

Deng, Nance, Randle should all be ahead of him in the pecking order to start the season.

Playing time should be earned and if he happens to outplay some of those guys then he has earned his minutes. It's not like Deng/Randle are clear cut starting material. It's only summer league but Kuzma is def the best fit in Luke's system and playing alongside ball.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I seriously can't fathom how Kuz slipped to #27. The scary thing is he's only going to get better. The kid has a high floor, and with threats like Ingram & KCP on the team, I'm thinking all his threes will be open shots if Lonzo is passing the ball.

I love Randle & Nance, but if Kuz keeps playing like this, one or both might be shipped out unfortunately. And based on his upcoming contract, it might be Randle.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Where does PG13 fit into our team? We have way too many guys at PF already and Ingram is our starting SF.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Where does PG13 fit into our team? We have way too many guys at PF already and Ingram is our starting SF.

Someone's gotta be the ball boy
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Someone's gotta be the ball boy

Towel Boy.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

He would be a 2 on this current roster. Ingram can't come off of screens like a SG does (Thanks GT), but PG can. If GSW actually agreed to the trade for PG trade, he'd be a 2 on their team as well.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

People were saying the exact same thing about Nance over Randle during last year's summer league.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

He would be a 2 on this current roster. Ingram can't come off of screens like a SG does (Thanks GT), but PG can. If GSW actually agreed to the trade for PG trade, he'd be a 2 on their team as well.

From what I remember, PG didn't emerge until he switched from SG to SF.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
People were saying the exact same thing about Nance over Randle during last year's summer league.

I was one of them last season. I still think Larry nance is starting material but Jules showed enough last season to hold him off.

After this game against Ben Simmons I was sold on Larry being the drymon green of this team

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
My concern with randle is:
Low IQ
No shooting
No defense
Holds the ball

Which Kuzma does well with. If randle improves I have no concern starting him

I think people should stop throwing around the term low IQ. As much as Randle has made some boneheaded plays, he has also made some amazing passes and has great vision at times. Saying he's low IQ insults the guy as a person too. Like ease it up on that front.

Randle is definitely not low IQ. Look at the difference from his 2nd to 3rd season. No more bull in a china shop. He actually made the correct plays a lot of the time.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Practice wrote:

I was one of them last season. I still think Larry nance is starting material but Jules showed enough last season to hold him off.

After this game against Ben Simmons I was sold on Larry being the drymon green of this team

He can't playmake like Dray. Actually, no one playing his position can, other than when Lebron slides to the 4. That's why for the past three years every team has been searching for the next Draymond. Not one team has found that guy yet. I like Larry a lot though. If he improves his shooting, and his defense, and maybe strengthen his base to defend 5's, that's all I need to see from him. I don't need him splitting a high double team and kicking it out to Zo for a 3.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Practice wrote:

Memories... My favorite Summer League game of all time... "Larry, Larry!" "I got ice in my veins!"
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Kuzma has been very good in summer league, but let's be real for a moment and not act like everyone on the team isn't knocking down their shots. The reality is that Lonzo is creating very good looks for his teammates and I believe that part of the reason why they are shooting it so well i because Lonzo is doing all of the thinking for them. When they receive the pass from Lonzo all they have to do is finish, no thinking required. He's making the game easy on them.

There should really be a stat that tracks what shooting percentages are when someone shoots as a first option rather than when they have to red and then react. Let's see what Larry nance and randle look like in the same position as Kuzma while Also having another year of seasoning under their belts, I bet we will all be impressed.

Not trying to take anything away from Kuzma, but I doubt he looks as good with any other point guard.

In the last two games they have played together, Lonzo has assisted on half of Kuzmas field goals. Ijs

Per Cranjis, the team made 7 jumpshots in the 2nd game, Kuzma made 6 of them.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject:

Indiana were fools for not taking Kuzma/Hart for PG13! I really can't wait to see how they develop for the Lakers!
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject:

Well, it's hard for a lot of 4s to run with him, so he keeps getting open for all of them," Ball said, referring to the power forward position. "I'm just throwing it to him."

Up until the last couple games I was going along the thought process of Kuz being a back up to BI at the 3, getting a few extra minutes at the 4, possible a few more at the 3 when Bi plays a few 2 guard minutes...But...

Ball and Kuz have shown incredible chemistry in these past two games, which I have to believe will only blossom further from here.

Log jam at the 4, Randle/nance/Kuz and Bryant can play there too.... Nice problem to have.....

Kuz is the real deal, Could very well be a top 5 player from this real nice draft crop when all is said and done, the potential for this is alive....
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject:

We got lucky that the Pacers are pig heads and wanted to stick it to PG. We would have offed Kuz in a heartbeat. We are loaded at PF. Deng is not going to get playing time, and he will be gone ASAP. Who is going to follow. Its intriguing to see how the new JR plays and how his new body translates on the floor. I for one was a little disappointed with him last year. I did not see the step forward that I was expecting. I think his rebounding slacked off as compared to a couple of years ago (he was tenacious under the boards). Rebounding was his biggest attribute, and Nance was actually a better rebounder last year. Nance has to be more aggressive or he will not cash in on his opportunity. The competition at PF for playing time will be intense. Hopefully, everyone gets enough time so we can showcase all of them because undoubtedly one of them has to be moved. A NICE PROBLEM TO HAVE.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

At worst, Kuzma can be a 6th man PF, but I can see the competition b/w he and Jules for the PF down the road as a fair match. He brings things that Jules doesn't have in his arsenal right now, namely shooting and team defense.

Jules is a better rebounder, ball handler, and passer in transition (though I think passing vision wise they may be equals).

It's good to have someone challenge and push Jules. Nance had his moments but was never that threat to Jules. Nance is likely a career role player.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Per Cranjis, the team made 7 jumpshots in the 2nd game, Kuzma made 6 of them.

Exactly half of kuzmas made shots have been directly assisted by lonzo. He has good off ball IQ and he's making his shots, but He doesn't look half as good with any other point guard.

Like I said earlier, let's see how Julius and nance look playing with Lonzo before we dub Kuzma the best pf on the team. We're acting like randle isn't just as fast, if not faster in the open court and I'm curious to see what randle looks like when he doesn't have to think, just finish.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

I'm a big kuzma fan but ourbrebounding would be horrendous.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:

Kuzma is a 4 that can play spot minutes a the 3 and 5 (big or small line ups).

His skillset advantages are at the 4! He isn't a 3!
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

It will come down to consistency as well... I think you know what you can expect from Kuzma game to game if all goes well. Randle has been a model of inconsistency with flashes of both brilliance and scrubiness.

Kuzma may never overtake Randle in terms of raw talent. But, like Nance, he will bring it every night and give you consistency where you need it.

I'm hoping Randle turns a corner this season, that said. I think Zubac is a stiff. If Randle comes on, you can play Nance and Kuzma as backups to Lopez as well.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

To me, it comes down to one simple fact...Kuzma seems to have the ability to make 3's and that is something sorely needed on the team.

For that reason alone, I think he will see significant playing time at whatever position you want to call it.

Rebounding will need to be a team focus along with improved defense effort.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: