Kobe's getting scary: 294 3pt attempts in 49 games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Kobe's getting scary: 294 3pt attempts in 49 games

Kobe is averaging 6 3pt attmpts a game in 49 games this season. This is more than what he averaged last year in the Rudy 3 system. He's 4th in attempts in the league and only 13th in made shots. Why can't he go back to shooting those 18 footers that are automatic for him?

Also over the last 5 games Kobe is averaging just under 10 attempts per game and only making 30% of them.

I know Kobe is better than this, why does it seem that he's fallen in love with the 3 when it obviously doesn't love him the same?
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:

His legs are probably getting tired...

...from carrying this entire team single-handedly.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

Actually when your legs are tired, you are advised NOT to shoot 3's.

Many of Kobe's 3 point attempts are in the flow of the game where he's trying to counter to a 3 just given up, late in the shotclock or trying to play catch up.

Kobe doesn't jack up 3's without purpose. Well atleast not 90% of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dadamookie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:

it's also probably easier and takes less energy to put up a 3 rather than driving through 2-3 defenders, only to pass to the open man who will then brick the shot.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

i knew it was getting rudy 3 like but hes 4th in attempts? wow.

Thats shocking considering Phl stressed aboout limiting them in pre-season.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
i knew it was getting rudy 3 like but hes 4th in attempts? wow.

Thats shocking considering Phl stressed aboout limiting them in pre-season.

When you are being doubled or even tripled, and the offense stagnates, Kobe gets the ball with seconds left on the shot clock and he's behind the arc. Makes total sense.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

Kobe is good enough to get closer. I can excuse them if their at the end of the shot clock...but majority of the time their not. Kobe does get 3 point happy alot.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

it's because kobe is using most of the shot clock trying to set other people up.. then he'll get the ball with 3 seconds and all he can do is take a 3.

also, this whole "get people involved" thing is killing his shooting percentage and efficiency, because he's taking even more shots with little time left on the clock than.. whereas he was taking shots earlier and more decisively before.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
it's because kobe is using most of the shot clock trying to set other people up.. then he'll get the ball with 3 seconds and all he can do is take a 3.

also, this whole "get people involved" thing is killing his shooting percentage and efficiency, because he's taking even more shots with little time left on the clock than.. whereas he was taking shots earlier and more decisively before.

I don't think Kobe or Phil care about shooting percentage. It's about wins.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

Also, he's only facing single or double coverage on the three-point arc. That's got to be enticing.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
PiPisKobesByatch wrote:

I don't think Kobe or Phil care about shooting percentage. It's about wins.

exactly, and the lakers are below .500 when he is in passing mode.. and 4 or 5 games up when he was in scoring mode.

so if such is the case, he should be more offensive-minded.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

Way too many 3's. Remember at the beginning of the season when he wasn't shooting any 3's and getting criticied for it? I miss those days.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Way too many 3's. Remember at the beginning of the season when he wasn't shooting any 3's and getting criticied for it? I miss those days.

Again, it's a function of the defense Kobe is facing. Clearly Phil isn't worried about it or he'd be posting Kobe up a lot more and getting him the ball early in the offense. I agree with Pip, agressive, dominating, scoring Kobe is best for W and L's. But this is Phil's team.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

True, and we also must take into consideration how many times he has to bail his team out by taking those long range 3's.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

I don't care so much about the 3s that are in the flow. But what really is upsetting are the possession following a MADE 3pt. Everytime he makes ONE three, I find myself saying, "god I hope he just caught on fire, cause he's GOING to launch anot---looks like he's not on fire..yet".

I just don't understand the point in a "heat check" after ONE made 3 pointer. It's ridiculous.

He's GOT to reel it in some.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I don't care so much about the 3s that are in the flow. But what really is upsetting are the possession following a MADE 3pt. Everytime he makes ONE three, I find myself saying, "god I hope he just caught on fire, cause he's GOING to launch anot---looks like he's not on fire..yet".

I just don't understand the point in a "heat check" after ONE made 3 pointer. It's ridiculous.

He's GOT to reel it in some.

:roll:

I'd say that Kobe has reeled it in a whole lot more than some. Also, he's shooting above his 3 pt percentage career and Phil does not seem concerned or he'd alter the offense.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Oh, I'm sure Phil isn't concerned, nor am I. It's just upsetting to watch Kobe "settle". That's all. I'm not implying he's the reason we're losing, cause it's not. When WE lose games, it's due to defense, not offense.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

I dont care what his 3pt % is as long as his FG % is decent!
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

I think the sad thing is the negative media Kobe gets for forcing up one 3 down the streach with the shot clock winding down and nobody can get an open shot. Haters like to use that as exhibit A. I think if the Lakers are to add another shooter for cheap by the deadline, that'd take a lot of pressure off of him. The question is, will Smush ever get consistent enough to be a solid threat from outside?
minervafilms
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

The thing is that Kobe's midrange jumper has become nigh on unstoppable. So, while the occasional three is indeed a shot-clock bail out, it's sad to see him otherwise jacking up threes without even attempting to move the ball.

Over the last five games in particular, Kobe has been taking fewer shots than average (25 per game, down from 27), yet taking MORE threes - over 9 a game (and barely making 30% of them). One reason why he's been shooting so horrendously recently.
Koberimrocka
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

I watch every game on the Season Pass as I'm sure many of us do (isn't PVR/Tivo a wonderful thing?).

My observation is that the real surge of threes from Kobe comes when the team get's behind in the second half. Obviously, he shoots plenty of 3's anyway, and the comments of some here that several of the 3's are of the shot-clock-beating variety. However, a LARGE number of his 3's in our recent road trip were efforts to get the team quickly back in the game when they were trailing signifigantly in the 2nd half of games.

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) On the one hand, I think Kobe has gotten to impatient at times, trying to recover the deficit on one or two trips rather than focusing on coming away with a score every time down the floor. But...

2) On the other hand, I came to realize in our recent road trip that our defense was SO HORRENDOUS at times that Kobe was trying to get 3 each time down, knowing the other team was almost certain to get 2. I can't count how many times I saw Kobe split double or triple teams, contort his body, and hit one of those "only Kobe makes that" shots, only to see the other team go down the other end of the floor and make a lay-up. VERY frustrating.

In summary, I don't mind Kobe taking 3's...he's an excellent shooter. Should he be more selective? Certainly, but I really feel that this will take care of itself as our defense becomes more reliable. (the occasional heat-check notwithstanding )

One last item: I don't even mid this team taking alot of threes (within reason). We get ALOT of open looks from Kobe's double/triple teams. You can't be afraid to take that shot if you're Sasha, George, Smush, etc... That's what the defense is giving you. Make 'em pay, stretch the D, then the lanes open up for penetration.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:

Koberimrocka wrote:
I watch every game on the Season Pass as I'm sure many of us do (isn't PVR/Tivo a wonderful thing?).

My observation is that the real surge of threes from Kobe comes when the team get's behind in the second half. Obviously, he shoots plenty of 3's anyway, and the comments of some here that several of the 3's are of the shot-clock-beating variety. However, a LARGE number of his 3's in our recent road trip were efforts to get the team quickly back in the game when they were trailing signifigantly in the 2nd half of games.

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) On the one hand, I think Kobe has gotten to impatient at times, trying to recover the deficit on one or two trips rather than focusing on coming away with a score every time down the floor. But...

2) On the other hand, I came to realize in our recent road trip that our defense was SO HORRENDOUS at times that Kobe was trying to get 3 each time down, knowing the other team was almost certain to get 2. I can't count how many times I saw Kobe split double or triple teams, contort his body, and hit one of those "only Kobe makes that" shots, only to see the other team go down the other end of the floor and make a lay-up. VERY frustrating.

In summary, I don't mind Kobe taking 3's...he's an excellent shooter. Should he be more selective? Certainly, but I really feel that this will take care of itself as our defense becomes more reliable. (the occasional heat-check notwithstanding )

One last item: I don't even mid this team taking alot of threes (within reason). We get ALOT of open looks from Kobe's double/triple teams. You can't be afraid to take that shot if you're Sasha, George, Smush, etc... That's what the defense is giving you. Make 'em pay, stretch the D, then the lanes open up for penetration.

Agreed. That's another factor. You can almost tell everytime Kobe is thinking 3, just by gauging how the team's defense is playing.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

The scary thing is 41% (121 of 295) of those three point attempts have come in just the last 13 games. That's over 9 trey attempts per game. I can only hope this isn't a prelude to the what's coming for the remainder of the season.

It's true that Kobe probably takes more shots to beat the shot-clock than probably any player in the league, but he's done that the entire season and was doing it even when Shaq was here. His teammates inability to make something happen in the first 20 seconds doesn't explain that kind of dramatic spike over the last 13 games and neither does his recent role change to initiator which has only been over the last 4-5 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

I just wish the league would ban the 3 point shot. It would make for a much more interesting game.
G1 Hydrogenic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

waaaaaaaaaaaay too many 3 pts

this is obviously not a 3 pt shooting team, and with Kobe jacking up 3s, the rest of the team follows his lead and therefore you have games like the previous ones where we have over 20 3 pt attempts
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: