**Lakers vs Blazers (NBA Summer League 2017: Championship Game)7:00pm PT**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Not sure how a meaningless regular season game is more meaningful than a meaningless SL game.

Well for one, we don't have our pick. I'll take any meaningless regular season win we can get
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Not sure how a meaningless regular season game is more meaningful than a meaningless SL game.

Well for one, we don't have our pick. I'll take any meaningless regular season win we can get

I'll take the meaningless SL title over a meaningless win in March. I'll take both meaningless wins actually. Does 2 meaningless wins become 1 meaningful win? Math majors where you at?

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Some off you are the type that buy expensive stuff and leave it the package and just stare at it because you don't want to damage it.

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

The level of comp and the amount of learning that can be done is far greater in a meaningless regular season game than any SL game. The only way you get better is by playing. They won't shut him down unless he is hurt.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Some off you are the type that buy expensive stuff and leave it the package and just stare at it because you don't want to damage it.

It loses value if you remove it from its original packaging!!!
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
There will come a point in this season when we are likely out of playoff contention. And the same "we should shut him down" arguments will come out.

At this point, I want our kids to taste as much success as they can, even if it's a SPL championship.

Regular season games actually mean something, if they really cared about summer league Ingram would be playing.

Do they mean much if we're at 30 game pro-rated pace, and it's March and we're out of the playoff picture?

My point is that this is a championship game. It's a high leverage moment where there is some actual meaningful basketball being played. There aren't 4-5 more games of meaningless SPL games to look forward to. I would absolutely bring Ingram back to win this thing.

Yinoma is basically making my points in a better and more articulated fashion. Ty sir.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
There will come a point in this season when we are likely out of playoff contention. And the same "we should shut him down" arguments will come out.

At this point, I want our kids to taste as much success as they can, even if it's a SPL championship.

Regular season games actually mean something, if they really cared about summer league Ingram would be playing.

Do they mean much if we're at 30 game pro-rated pace, and it's March and we're out of the playoff picture?

My point is that this is a championship game. It's a high leverage moment where there is some actual meaningful basketball being played. There aren't 4-5 more games of meaningless SPL games to look forward to. I would absolutely bring Ingram back to win this thing.

Yinoma is basically making my points in a better and more articulated fashion. Ty sir.

You start establishing points of reference for these kids. A win in late March may be nice, even if out of the playoffs, but winning the SPL as a 15th seed and struggling through nagging injuries to get there, you will always have that mental point of reference, especially b/c we are unlikely to be winning much of anything this season.

The kids can build off of this going forward.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

The jail blazers are taking it seriously

https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/886768049683972096

Quote:
#BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

The beauty of the meaningless SL title game is, if the Lakers we us fans can puff out our chests and claim summer league supremacy!

If we lose, eh it was just a meaningless game.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

I would argue that winning this game would be more valuable to the team as you carry this momentum for months into training camp and the regular season than winning a game in March and carrying that momentum for 2 days then losing against Houston and SA on a B2B cause the League hates us.

That's just me though.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Winning the Summer League goes with the whole "speak it into existence" narrative. I understand what some of you mean about not risking them further and if the training staff determines they are in danger then they shouldn't play.

But if there is no medical reason, they should play as it will continue to build the new Lakers mystique and play on the other teams minds throughout the summer. More importantly it will make our own players believe it too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

It's also something that the kids can claim as their own, as opposed to having vets like KCP/Brook.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Winning the Summer League goes with the whole "speak it into existence" narrative. I understand what some of you mean about not risking them further and if the training staff determines they are in danger then they shouldn't play.

But if there is no medical reason, they should play as it will continue to build the new Lakers mystique and play on the other teams minds throughout the summer. More importantly it will make our own players believe it too.

SPEAK IT INTO MEANING..................FUL
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

It's meaningless to me. I'm just glad that Lonzo is doing well and made everyone better in a nutshell.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
If they are healthy, let them play. Especially considering there won't be another game for around two months. I'm not paying these over priced cable fees to watch Thomas and Caruso. Plus we need that banner for the Clippers locker room.

#BannersOverBillboards
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
defense wrote:
If they are healthy, let them play. Especially considering there won't be another game for around two months. I'm not paying these over priced cable fees to watch Thomas and Caruso. Plus we need that banner for the Clippers locker room.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/28/0a/36/280a36dd3407cf721b89153bd0e86b37--black-mamba-la-lakers.jpg
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

Have the Clippers ever won SL?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

This regular season is arguably going to be more meaningless than last year. Last year, we had a pick to tank for. This year, it is only meaningful to the extent that we do not give the pick to Boston and that we look good for FAs.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
The jail blazers are taking it seriously

https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/886768049683972096

Quote:
#BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA #BeatLA

For those of us Laker fans living in the Portland area this game has special meaning. I don't want my local sports fan friends rubbing it in - falsely- that Portland has a more promising new group coming in than the Lakers, and giving me crap all summer. Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Hoosier Mamba >>>>>> Collins, Swanigan and the rest of their squad. Just a matter of time and the Laker lineup will be > Portland's NBA lineup, period.

Outside of that, as for this game - I'm not going to lose sleep if Lonzo plays and goes out at halftime with soreness - he's got nearly 3 months after this game to fix his ailments and he's young. Same goes for BI. These guys live for basketball and they'd love to go after it for a Summer League title. Let them have some fun out there and get it done!

If the Laker training staff disagrees - I'll be mildly disappointed but won't lose any sleep on that either. We'll be 0-0 at the start of the season either way.

Sure would be fun to see Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma and company to blow Portland out by 30 for the summer league title though! That would make for a nice buzz around the NBA going into the dog days of summer.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

You know we've sucked big time for years if I'm looking forward to a Summer League game as if it were the playoffs. I just want to win something for a change after being bums for the last 3 years.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
It's meaningless to me. I'm just glad that Lonzo is doing well and made everyone better in a nutshell.

They are pretty darn good outside of a nutshell as well!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, bring Ingram back for this final. I know it's a meaningless SPL but why not? Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz can bring this home. WE can hang it in the Clippers lockerroom.
That would be awesome! Lend them a banner of ours since they are utterly devoid of any.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

These kids have battled through multiple back-to-back games and a large number of games in the span of a week. They're at the mountaintop so the attitude should be to win this thing.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
I would argue that winning this game would be more valuable to the team as you carry this momentum for months into training camp and the regular season than winning a game in March and carrying that momentum for 2 days then losing against Houston and SA on a B2B cause the League hates us.

That's just me though.

I agree it's something the Lakers need after how this team has been the last four seasons. It's a psychological boost that the franchise will carry on into the regular season. I say play Ingram also and let them break Portland's back.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Looking at Portlands roster, they have a bunch of 3rd and 4th year guys surrounding Swanigan. Layman, Gutierrez, RJ Hunter, and Stokes have all been around the block a couple times. No wonder they've been winning
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 4 of 45
Jump to: