Skip thinks Lakers make playoffs right away; Broussard disagrees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Skip is being conservative. Teams are going to have nightmares about playing us. We will be making them look foolish.

In all seriousness, I can see many teams struggling to play at the Lonzo Lakers pace. Don't know how many wins that will translate to, but some teams will have major problems keeping up.

You only play at that pace if you are getting stops. We have to defend first.
The bolded is not true at all. especially looking at lonzo tossing the ball full court. you can score on made baskets or missed baskets. obviously you have a better chance at running when its a missed basket. but still.
Houston rockets were not some great defense, yet they were running fast and shooting //running up the score.

now do we need stops? of course. if we are going to have a fast pace and if we can score a lot of points. we wont need as many stops if we didnt run that pace and could not score a lot of points. it goes from you having to be a super lockdown defensive team vs only needing to get key stops during the game.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

We've added KCP and Lopez, along with BI looking like he's ready to take another big step.
that's a lot more firepower then we had last year, a strong guard defender in KCP, in addition to some promising rookies.
it is conceivable that they could contend for the 8th playoff spot. However, a lot of that probably hinges on how well they play defense this year
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

Our playoff chances are not looking good if Skip Bayless thinks we are getting there.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Warriors
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
Wolves

All seem like dead locks.

Clippers
Pelicans
Nuggets
Jazz
Grizzlies
Blazers

All seem like the next 4 most likely to make it based on last years results and/or current talent. After that group, we have:

Lakers
Kings
Mavs
Suns

So on the surface, it seems really difficult to even sniff the playoffs but the remaining question to that extent are:

1) What will be the drop off for teams like Jazz + Clippers + Grizz who lost important talent.

2) Can NO thrive with that mismatch of supreme talent or will they crash and burn.

3) Do teams like the Blazers take steps forward or have they peaked.

My gut results:

Warriors
H Town
OKC
Spurs
Minny
NO
Nuggets
LAC
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Man. I'm a Lakers fan just as much as anyone else here. But we have to be realistic. This team probably won't be that great.

We've got a young team that's done well against summer league talent, not against pro competition. It's likely that we start out slow, but continue to develop and build chemistry as the season goes on.

Will this team be fun to watch? Yes, definitely. But we're not making the playoffs this year, especially in the West unless the top teams all lose key players to injury for an extended period of time.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
Man. I'm a Lakers fan just as much as anyone else here. But we have to be realistic. This team probably won't be that great.

We've got a young team that's done well against summer league talent, not against pro competition. It's likely that we start out slow, but continue to develop and build chemistry as the season goes on.

Will this team be fun to watch? Yes, definitely. But we're not making the playoffs this year, especially in the West unless the top teams all lose key players to injury for an extended period of time.

I see

So because they havent done it yet it is automatic that they wont?
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I see

I don't think that this team is ready yet to take that step, no.

Do you personally think that this team will make it? And if so, who do you put in the playoffs and who do you leave out?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Man I haven't listened to Skip in years. I really hate that he's this high on Lonzo.

This is true. Tebow and RG3 say hi
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Our playoff chances are not looking good if Skip Bayless thinks we are getting there.

Eventually he's going to be right, this time I agree with him.
TransientTexan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
It went from this team is worse than last year to now we might make the playoffs. Everyone is an expert and then they make a fool of themselves. Moral to the story is sit down, be humble.

To be fair most of that was before KCP was brought in.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

TransientTexan wrote:
defense wrote:
It went from this team is worse than last year to now we might make the playoffs. Everyone is an expert and then they make a fool of themselves. Moral to the story is sit down, be humble.

To be fair most of that was before KCP was brought in.

And before Lonzo showed up in SL.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Summer League team:

with Lonzo = Harlem Globetrotters

without Lonzo = Washington Generals

JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I see

Do you personally think that this team will make it? And if so, who do you put in the playoffs and who do you leave out?

Frankly its too early to tell

Some of these players might be bad fits where they are going
Injuries
Players could take a step back

And frankly.....people forget that this group we have had a hard time LOSING at the end of last year......no matter how hard we tried.

But to assume no playoffs before the bullets start flying? Feel for you man
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Eventually he's going to be right, this time I agree with him.

No, eventually he's not going to be right unfortunately.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I see

Portland.. neither of their best 2 players play any defense. they can score but thats about it. what happens if say the lakers can score with them? then it comes down to which team can get a couple of stops. with lopez in the middle, BI on the wing, KCP at SG, and zo being a very good team defender, randle/or nance can play the PF spot. we could actually get a couple of stops vs portland.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Skip is the ultimate Laker hater just like Bill Simmons, and just like Bill Simmons Skip said this for anti-jinx reason. they want to see Lakers fail so they can rub it in, geez i thought they are going to be great, oh well too bad, same old Lakers.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I see

Frankly its too early to tell

Some of these players might be bad fits where they are going
Injuries
Players could take a step back

And frankly.....people forget that this group we have had a hard time LOSING at the end of last year......no matter how hard we tried.

But to assume no playoffs before the bullets start flying? Feel for you man

True, but the same could be said for us: Lopez and KCP could be bad fits for us, we could have injuries, and our players could take steps back or stop progressing too (Randle, Clarkson, etc).

While Lopez is skilled offensively, he can barely jump off the ground anymore, I'm not entirely sold on Lonzo's defense...I understand what you're saying though; there are a lot of what ifs.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, but it's just my personal opinion that we won't get there yet based on what I've seen, both with our moves and the moves of other teams. In this case I hope wrong, but we'll see.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Gonna be MEM, LAC, and UTAH fighting for the final 8th spot. Maybe you can lump LAL into that group, I have them at #11 with a chance to pounce. They creep into the MEM/LAC/UTAH tier if KCP/Lopez are good fits and BI makes a good (not necessarily huge) leap.

I don't see Utah being that much better than LAL, but it depends on how good you think Gobert is. I guess Rodney Hood is now their go to scorer?? I suppose with that roster they're just going to defend you to death.

If Parsons actually plays 70+ games for Memphis, then it offsets the loss of Randolph, and they'll be the probable #8 seed.
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Wow it is possible for Lakers to make the playoffs but what has to happen for it to all work out. I think a whole bunch of stuff needs to work out for us.

We must stay Injury Free
BI breakout must be in the 22 - 24 point range
Lonzo must have an impact similar to summer league and shoot better
KCP needs to grow as player and hit in the 18 ppg range and play kill defense
Randle needs to grow into the beast and play like a beast. 16/10/5 and play great defense.
Bench needs to play lights out: Clarkson, Kuzma, Nance and Brewer/Deng/Zubac
Defense needs to be really good

I expect BI and Randle to really breakout but I don't know to what level. If their play is close to all star level and Lonzo is the real deal I think we make it if healthy. Lopez is already really good, KCP is still ascending but really good already. Clarkson is ascending and should be really good. That is a deep team with a lot of guys who can play switching defense without having major mismatches.

Outside shooting and defense if they are good, we will win a lot of games by just running the other team into the ground.

We are really young and a lot of stuff has to go right but at least I can see how we will be good, even really good.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

Lonzo has 3 (4?) 10 assist games, and there's only been 1 previously. He's got the only
SPL triple double ever, missed another by 2 rebs, and the last one due to injury

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Some might be confused because Skip said Lonzo had 36 pt 8 reb 5 assists in the kobe shoe game when he had 36 pt, 11 assists, 8 reb, 5 steals. Plus he had two triple doubles, lakersboy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Some might be confused because Skip said Lonzo had 36 pt 8 reb 5 assists in the kobe shoe game when he had 36 pt, 11 assists, 8 reb, 5 steals. Plus he had two triple doubles, lakersboy.

and there have been more than one 10 assist game before...and there have been triple doubles in SL before
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

and there have been more than one 10 assist game before...and there have been triple doubles in SL before

Not in the Vegas summer league according to Spectrum.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Kendall Marshall had 11 Assist against us this year....and on the same night, Isaiah Taylor had 10 Assist for Houston.....and the record is something around 20
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Kendall Marshall had 11 Assist against us this year....and on the same night, Isaiah Taylor had 10 Assist for Houston.....and the record is something around 20

I just meant for the triple double, sorry.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: