Let's see what happens when the cops kill and unarmed white woman (from 2017 - updated page 4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

It is really sad, I hope this doesn't get swept under the rug. When an unarmed citizen, gets shot by the police, there should be a fair and critical investigation of the facts. If nothing else, I think the officers not wearing their body cameras and shooting the woman, should get fired.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It is really sad, I hope this doesn't get swept under the rug. When an unarmed citizen, gets shot by the police, there should be a fair and critical investigation of the facts. If nothing else, I think the officers not wearing their body cameras and shooting the woman, should get fired.

They were wearing body cams. They didn't have them turn on.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

exactly. and you know why they didnt have them turned on?
because it stated the protocol for turning on the camera is when you're in certain situations.

The problem with that mentality is that you can't always know the situation you're in until you're actually in it. and i even as a citizen dont want the cops having to fiddle with a camera while some crazee is coming at someone with a gun/weapon or even going towards the cops with weapons.

whoever thought of that as a rule is not smart. and they are probably trying not to truthfully show all of what cops do all day long. Perhaps someone was trying to save the amt of data that they would have to sift thru.

but if you're going to wear a camera. it should be turned on the moment you start your shift to the moment you get back to the station to clock out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

because it stated the protocol for turning on the camera is when you're in certain situations.

The problem with that mentality is that you can't always know the situation you're in until you're actually in it. and i even as a citizen dont want the cops having to fiddle with a camera while some crazee is coming at someone with a gun/weapon or even going towards the cops with weapons.

whoever thought of that as a rule is not smart. and they are probably trying not to truthfully show all of what cops do all day long. Perhaps someone was trying to save the amt of data that they would have to sift thru.

but if you're going to wear a camera. it should be turned on the moment you start your shift to the moment you get back to the station to clock out.

If I'm not mistaken body cams are supposed to be turned on while enroute to service calls such as this one. If that's in fact true there was no reason not to have the cams on.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Street signs in St. Paul and Minneapolis: "Warning, Twin Cities Police Easily Startled"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Talk about disgusting...
Quote:
The search warrant obtained by Minnesota Public Radio doesn’t specifically say that the woman was Justine Damond, but: “Upon police arrival, a female ‘slaps’ the back of the patrol squad ... After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley,"

BCA Bureau of Criminal Apprehension

Now they are saying she bumped the car with her hand and that startled Noor
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/personnel-records-out-for-minnesota-officer-who-shot-woman/2017/07/24/37d415c0-70ce-11e7-8c17-533c52b2f014_story.html?utm_term=.99a809195925
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject:

So that's what vehicular assault means.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Talk about disgusting...
Quote:
The search warrant obtained by Minnesota Public Radio doesn’t specifically say that the woman was Justine Damond, but: “Upon police arrival, a female ‘slaps’ the back of the patrol squad ... After that, it is unknown to BCA agents what exactly happened, but the female became deceased in the alley,"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/personnel-records-out-for-minnesota-officer-who-shot-woman/2017/07/24/37d415c0-70ce-11e7-8c17-533c52b2f014_story.html?utm_term=.99a809195925

If she slapped the back of the car why wasn't the rear window shot out? Somebody in justify is slipping.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Talk about disgusting...
Quote:

If she slapped the back of the car why wasn't the rear window shot out? Somebody in justify is slipping.

well lets play along.

She slaps the back of the vehicle while making her way to the side(door). it takes what? half a second to step from the back of a police car to the side front door. it takes half a second to hear a loud noise and go "whats that..oh no.... then shoot. " The drive could've seen her in his side mirror. while the passenger cop could not. was the passenger cop on his cell phone? the reason i ask is this. have you ever seen anyone thats all deep into their phone get startled easily? I know i have.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken body cams are supposed to be turned on while enroute to service calls such as this one. If that's in fact true there was no reason not to have the cams on.

see this is the problem. like i said above. the protocol should be turn that puppy on the moment you clock in for work and are leaving the station. turn it off only when you park the squad car at the station to clock out. but thats not the case with minnesota.

read this portion of the article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/07/19/body-cameras-should-have-recorded-justine-damond-shooting/491064001/

Quote:
....In 2015, he helped the New Orleans Police Department create a set of policies for body-worn cameras.

More: Australian woman's death at hands of police called homicide

He said the policies in New Orleans are much more extensive than that of the Minneapolis Police Department. In New Orleans an officer is required to have the camera rolling during every service call.

"You get there and it goes critical instantly, that's not a time to be thinking about turning on your body camera," Quinn said.

The Minneapolis Police Department policy, obtained by KARE-TV, is 11-pages long and only requires officers to turn on their cameras while responding to 14 types of calls.

The types of calls include traffic stops, suspicious vehicle stops, as well as any contact involving criminal activity, a physical confrontation or verbal confrontation.

Damond's family said she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault.

"For a call like that, those cameras should be on," Quinn said.

Again. quinn is saying that with veteran knowledge of you never know what might happen so better to turn it on than to not turn it on. But we're talking about what is the actual rule. did they violate the rule by not turning them on the moment they took the 911 call from the dispatcher?

I mean, can we talk about the fact that know one has said anything about the person she thought she heard being sexually assaulted. can we get an update on that? or was it a false alarm?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

There is no such thing as a perfect victim. This article has race status written all over it.

e.g.
Quote:
Media outlets have highlighted this dynamic in the way they’ve chosen to cover Damond. Many focused on the fact that she was a “bride-to-be,” a heartbreaking detail that adds to the sense that there is something viscerally unjust about her death.

Castile, too, was engaged to be married, but the news media pointed out that he was never discussed in such personal or affectionate terms.

I don't believe I'm racist, I shelf myself tribal. When race is so obviously blatant I feel like KBCB I must make mention.

America Has Finally Found Its ‘Perfect Victim’ Of A Police Shooting

LINK

This excerpt is one of many mentioned that says we've made strides but we have a long way to go on race equality.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Talk about disgusting...
Quote:

well lets play along.

She slaps the back of the vehicle while making her way to the side(door). it takes what? half a second to step from the back of a police car to the side front door. it takes half a second to hear a loud noise and go "whats that..oh no.... then shoot. " The drive could've seen her in his side mirror. while the passenger cop could not. was the passenger cop on his cell phone? the reason i ask is this. have you ever seen anyone thats all deep into their phone get startled easily? I know i have.

C'MON MAN

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
America Has Finally Found Its ‘Perfect Victim’ Of A Police Shooting

LINK

This except is one of many mentioned that says we've made strides but we have a long way to go on race equality.

I hope the author of that article is okay. When you contort yourself that hard to find a sinister racial angle, you could pull a muscle or even break something. Wow, Michelle Bachmann said something stupid about it. Color me amazed.

So we have a bizarre police shooting involving a black, immigrant cop and a white Australian woman in her pajamas. I get the impression that a bunch of people are confused, trying to decide whether they should be outraged about something and, if so, what.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

This should be mandatory. When officers interact with the public in any situations body cams should be activated.

It's chilling there is even a need for body cams.

Minneapolis Police Will Be Required To Turn On Body Cameras During Any Public Encounters

LINK
Quote:

Minneapolis police officers will soon be required to turn on body-worn cameras when dispatched to any call or undertaking any “self-initiated activity,” the city’s acting police chief announced Wednesday.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This should be mandatory. When officers interact with the public in any situations body cams should be activated.

Minneapolis Police Will Be Required To Turn On Body Cameras During Any Public Encounters

LINK
Quote:

Minneapolis police officers will soon be required to turn on body-worn cameras when dispatched to any call or undertaking any “self-initiated activity,” the city’s acting police chief announced Wednesday.

It should be a reason to fire an officer, no tolerance. Even in this situation, those cameras might have saved the City a lawsuit.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

There shouldn't be an off switch for body cams on police. The officer should not be allowed to turn off their body cams while on duty. Like physically there shouldn't be a way the cops can turn off their body cams.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
There shouldn't be an off switch for body cams on police. The officer should not be allowed to turn off their body cams while on duty. Like physically there shouldn't be a way the cops can turn off their body cams.
i agree with you. then they would just intentionally break them and say "there was a malfunction."

scum will be scum.
of course not all of them would do this because all of them are not scum. but the ones that are, would do it and it would become a trend for others to do the same. google "how to break your cop cam without anyone knowing." or some nonsense like that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

excellent. glad they changed the policy and glad they did so with this sort of speed.

which as usual begs the question. Do these sorts of things move this fast when others are "accidentally" shot and killed/hurt by the cops? does the basic rules change on at least the cameras when they say "it wasnt on" during the incident?

I know this isnt the first case that wasnt caught on camera but had to be reported.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

It should be a reason to fire an officer, no tolerance. Even in this situation, those cameras might have saved the City a lawsuit.

You know what's missing in this?

Any discussion about what will happen to officers who don't turn them on. Not one mention that disciplinary action will take place if an officer fails to comply, much less what that punishment would be. It's just optics meant to turn down the heat a bit. A rule without any teeth isn't a rule at all. It's just empty talk.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

Any discussion about what will happen to officers who don't turn them on. Not one mention that disciplinary action will take place if an officer fails to comply, much less what that punishment would be. It's just optics meant to turn down the heat a bit. A rule without any teeth isn't a rule at all. It's just empty talk.

That's not entirely true. I clicked on the new policy. It's 14 pages, didn't read all of if. It's mentioned as updated policy in the original article.

LINK
Quote:
The new policy, which takes effect on Saturday, gives officers a specific list of situations when they must turn on the devices — when being sent to a scene, when “self-initiating a call,” when “any situation becomes adversarial,” among others. It also codifies that discipline, up to and including termination, can be meted out for violations.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

I saw an interesting video the other day, not sure if posted here, where officers turned on their cameras and then found some drugs, but failed to realize that their system records constantly and is saved and bookmarkled starting 30 seconds before they hit the button, so the video showed the officer planting the drugs, then walking out and turning his camera on.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

I saw an interesting video the other day, not sure if posted here, where officers turned on their cameras and then found some drugs, but failed to realize that their system records constantly and is saved and bookmarkled starting 30 seconds before they hit the button, so the video showed the officer planting the drugs, then walking out and turning his camera on.

I saw that story. Oddly enough, that same scenario was a plot line in a show I worked on last year: Two crooked cops get hired by a gang leader to murder an informant. They try make it look like a drug dealer tried to run them over during a traffic stop. They get revealed because they didn't know that the camera functions in that fashion, so their conversation in the car about killing the guy is caught on video. So when I saw that story it caught my attention.

Anyway, it's just further evidence that officers should have absolutely no control over the camera's functions. The cameras should be constantly streaming to a wireless storage device housed in an inaccessible area of the patrol car. Those storages devices should be swapped out at the end of each shift and archived for a reasonable amount of time. There should be no way for an officer to turn off or reposition the camera. And any attempt to do so, or at any point if the camera fails to detect an image, some kind of warning should be sent to a central system that can continue the stream where an independent party is monitoring it.

Of course there is no full proof system. There's always going to be someone who figures out a way to circumvent the safeguards. But such systems should be as redundant and remotely monitored as possible. The idea of allowing cops to determine how their camera is implemented is laughably flawed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

and... voila crack sprinkled on the (bleep).. racist amerikkka

He then arrested people based on those pills.. iirc?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

FWIW I may start something to get Politicians to wear body cams since they cannot be trusted
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK
Quote:

pretty much
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: