Matt "Summer League Legend" Thomas (Signed in with a Euro Club, p. 5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 6766
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Trade Clarkson, bring in Matt Thomas and a real vet point guard.

A real shooter and a real passer....not a ball stopper who can't shoot 3s.

JC, you showed so much potential as a rookie, what happened to you?


JC never gave effort on the defensive end. When he was a rookie you could overlook this because he was a rookie and they are usually bad on D. But as the years have gone by he has continued to be a sieve on defense and it appears that he does not care.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cal1piggy
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: defense

how bad is his defense?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Big Game Jeff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
JC, you showed so much potential as a rookie, what happened to you?


Trying to do too much...
_________________
LAKERS RAIDERS KINGS DODGERS AZTECS MIDSHIPMEN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 37919

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: defense

cal1piggy wrote:
how bad is his defense?


Could it be measurably worse than Clarkson's?

His game (drilling 3's like a white Reggie Miller) fits in any offense, I can tell you that.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ispuds
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 18 Jul 2017
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Iowa State fan here that watched all the Laker summer league games mostly to see Lonzo and curious too see if Matt Thomas would get some minutes.

I am pretty sure Matt had surgery after the college season for bone spurs. They bothered him all winter and some weeks his time in practice was pretty limited or non-existent. Some games his time was also limited by the bone spurs.

Some of his impressive shooting may have been helped by feeling so much better. He looked to be running and moving much easier than during the winter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 56023
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: defense

LakerLanny wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
how bad is his defense?


Could it be measurably worse than Clarkson's?

His game (drilling 3's like a white Reggie Miller) fits in any offense, I can tell you that.


It's definitely largely worse than Clarkson's.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.
Top 3 Pick: Fultz, Ball, Tatum
LAL ended w 3 of 4 guys of my '17 Draft list.

My summer league spirit player is Brady Heslip.

https://hoop-math.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 2378
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

Matty "Ice (in my veins)"

Make it happen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2831

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Lakerpark wrote:
Trade Clarkson, bring in Matt Thomas and a real vet point guard.

A real shooter and a real passer....not a ball stopper who can't shoot 3s.

JC, you showed so much potential as a rookie, what happened to you?


JC never gave effort on the defensive end. When he was a rookie you could overlook this because he was a rookie and they are usually bad on D. But as the years have gone by he has continued to be a sieve on defense and it appears that he does not care.


I've always thought that he's given effort on the defensive end. I've never questioned his defensive effort, it's his defensive intelligence I question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Aug 2001
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

He'll have great value if he performs well; sign him before the Rockets, Clippers, Spurs, or Warriors do. He won't stay unsigned for long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 May 2001
Posts: 1271
Location: Venice, California

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

i think this player is a steal for the Lakers. Ignore the medical reports and remember how talented a shooter he is. He is absolutely clutch in watching him play. Sign this dude no baggage he's cheap and plays with joy.
_________________
"Bobbin' and weavin' and let the good get even"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mirak
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 5083

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

ispuds wrote:
Iowa State fan here that watched all the Laker summer league games mostly to see Lonzo and curious too see if Matt Thomas would get some minutes.

I am pretty sure Matt had surgery after the college season for bone spurs. They bothered him all winter and some weeks his time in practice was pretty limited or non-existent. Some games his time was also limited by the bone spurs.

Some of his impressive shooting may have been helped by feeling so much better. He looked to be running and moving much easier than during the winter.


Thanks for the insight, and welcome!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 935

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Matt is a much better shooter than anyone on the team.

The least the Lakers should do is give him a good summer league contract to see if he can do it on a consistent basis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13574

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
i think this player is a steal for the Lakers. Ignore the medical reports and remember how talented a shooter he is. He is absolutely clutch in watching him play. Sign this dude no baggage he's cheap and plays with joy.



He was definitely clutch with his 3s.
I just don't see him hanging with NBA players on the next level.
Not quick. Poor hanldes. Poor defense. Doesn't rebound well.
A poorer Redick?

Pelton seems to think shooting % is hard to predict in terms of summer league numbers carrying over to the big leagues.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Lebron . Brook
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 13594
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:


JC never gave effort on the defensive end. When he was a rookie you could overlook this because he was a rookie and they are usually bad on D. But as the years have gone by he has continued to be a sieve on defense and it appears that he does not care.


effort is almost never the problem with JC's defense.....results are often an issue, but its not for lack of energy/effort
_________________
"Being a Laker matters. Jason Kidd is known as a Hall of Famer, but if he played for the Lakers he would be remembered as a LEGEND" Colin Cowherd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 51485

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Nicola Lupo @NikiLupo25

Iowa State guard Matt Thomas has signed with Spanish club Obradoiro, the team announced. He played a great Summer League with the Lakers
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 2841
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
i think this player is a steal for the Lakers. Ignore the medical reports and remember how talented a shooter he is. He is absolutely clutch in watching him play. Sign this dude no baggage he's cheap and plays with joy.



He was definitely clutch with his 3s.
I just don't see him hanging with NBA players on the next level.
Not quick. Poor hanldes. Poor defense. Doesn't rebound well.
A poorer Redick?

Pelton seems to think shooting % is hard to predict in terms of summer league numbers carrying over to the big leagues.


That may be the case, but he also shot 44-45% from the three point line in his last two years of college.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 26223

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Nicola Lupo @NikiLupo25

Iowa State guard Matt Thomas has signed with Spanish club Obradoiro, the team announced. He played a great Summer League with the Lakers


Congrats MT, get that money!

(I wish we had signed him though)
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AY2043
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 9206

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Nicola Lupo @NikiLupo25

Iowa State guard Matt Thomas has signed with Spanish club Obradoiro, the team announced. He played a great Summer League with the Lakers

Aw. Was hoping for a 2 way k.

Oh well, he's the type that will do very well in Europe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 51485

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

I don't know who this basketball wtiter is so maybe wait until it's verified. He seems legit by looking at his Twitter feed.
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 22178

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
32 wrote:
Nicola Lupo @NikiLupo25

Iowa State guard Matt Thomas has signed with Spanish club Obradoiro, the team announced. He played a great Summer League with the Lakers


Congrats MT, get that money!

(I wish we had signed him though)



Same here. Signed by Obradoiro CAB. Congrats!

Looks like it is la verdad.
http://www.obradoirocab.com/webobra/index.php/es/noticias/2119-el-monbus-obradoiro-ficha-a-matt-thomas

Google translate (ehh... somewhat bizarre translation)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.obradoirocab.com%2Fwebobra%2Findex.php%2Fes%2Fnoticias%2F2119-el-monbus-obradoiro-ficha-a-matt-thomas&edit-text=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13574

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

cool cool.
Congrats Matthew Fox.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Lebron . Brook
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 22178

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

If Matt toiled around in the G-League (formerly the D-League), he was probably looking at around getting 19K-26K, unless he received a two-way contract which apparently means $75K plus getting up to 45days worth of a full minimum NBA salary.

So when Obradoiro (avg attendance 5,000 per game) was willing to sign him, it's understandable why he'd go overseas. Supposedly, the avg salary is around 65K or more per season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 9651
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Hope he makes the best out of his opportunity in Europe.
Maybe he can find a way back in the NBA.
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Oct 2015
Posts: 1126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

I thought the Lakers would have gave Thomas a training camp invite and then cut him so he would become an affiliate player with the South Bay Lakers.
_________________
Coach MWP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
NBALakerLegends
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 314

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Too bad we didn't use that two way contract on him. Good luck to him. We may see him back in the NBA if he balls out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB