NY Post claims we were trying to get Penny from the Knicks???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: NY Post claims we were trying to get Penny from the Knicks???

I was going through this morning's papers and saw this in the NY Post

"The Post reported Sunday he was discussing a deal for Hardaway with four teams — Seattle, Denver, Orlando, Portland — trying to create more room under the salary cap. A league executive who has spoken to Thomas said yesterday that a fifth team is slowly emerging and could be the Timberwolves or Lakers. The Knicks want an established young player such as Earl Watson, Marko Jaric, Reggie Evans, Darius Miles or Lamar Odom.

The Knicks and Lakers were discussing a deal of Hardaway for Odom, but Los Angeles was hellbent on having Channing Frye included, and the Knicks rejected it. Word out of L.A. is Thomas would have gone for it had the Lakers added rookie center Andrew Bynum. "

This doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe someone can educate me on how it would. Penny hardaway? Maybe a couple years ago (pre-Phoenix).

Serious pipe on isiah's part if he thinks Odom and Bynum for an expriring Penny contract and Channing Frye is a good deal.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/59993.htm

orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Knicks and Lakers were discussing a deal of Hardaway for Odom, but Los Angeles was hellbent on having Channing Frye included, and the Knicks rejected it. Word out of L.A. is Thomas would have gone for it had the Lakers added rookie center Andrew Bynum. "

Sounds like Isiah must smoking some good sheez lately in NYC.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

The NY Post is a tabloid. As good as Frye could be and as inconsistent as Odom is, we would not be trading someone who has chemistry with our team, provides so many different things, and knows the triangle for a brand spankin new player. Sorry, not buying it.

And Penny? Give me a break. Isiah must just want another coach to look as stupid as the Knicks by adding an overpaid guy on his last legs. When they said New York and the Lakers "discussed" a deal of Odom and Hardaway it just means New York asked and the Lakers said Hell No.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:

Can't believe either trade scenario. Insane.
The Bling
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:

Seriously, I thought Isaiah wanted Kobe for Hardaway straight up. It would've worked, too, had he given Buss and co. the same ganja he's using.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

this makes no sense for us. it's not like we are going to be players in the FA market this summer.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

If it is true,... good for Mitch for turning down that deal and keeping Socks. In 3 years who do you think will better Frye or Socks.... I'm hedging my bet on Socks....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Darkndeep wrote:
Can't believe either trade scenario. Insane.

I could,.. Zeke is insane...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:

I'm convinced it's an "Isiah" crony, talking up Frye's value once again. You'd swear they had an embryonic Kobe or Garnett for all interest they claim they're receiving.

They really want K-Mart, and are busy talking up Frye and David Lee to help make it happen.

The Lamar for Penny trade makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't even create cap space for this summer. This is Isiah getting desperate.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

This such BS it's not even funny.

Yes the Lakers want Frye - because Phil liked him at draft time - BUT the Lakers don't break up this entire team's foundation and the season for Frye and Penny.

Just ridiculous.

And Andrew Bynum? Yeah right. Sure Isiah. We'll offer you a Center that outplayed Eddy Curry (and the 50+ million K you gave him) at the Knick game ...
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

This is a joke!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:

The thing is Thomas is there to be abused by the rest of the leagues GM's, not the other way around... If the Lakers were the first to be made fool of by Isiah, game over....
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

Actually, when you take the NY Post comments singularly, it becomes apparent that they're desperate. Read these one at a time:

Quote:
A source said while Frye is virtually untouchable, two significant assets or a Kevin Garnett-type player would have to come in return.

Untouchable, yet can be traded. All it takes is a "Kevin Garnett-type player". There is nothing in Frye's current game or upside that suggests he's worth a former All Star, let alone a superstar. That quote almost sounds like a PT Barnum pitch for the freak show.

Quote:
"Isiah believes there's four, five teams desperate for Hardaway's contract, because there aren't a lot of Hardaways [players with maximum expiring contracts] out there this year,"

As if you couldn't waive a player or two when trading for expiring contracts. Despite this once in a lifetime opportunity to land a genuine Hardaway:

Quote:
If Hardaway (making $14.7M) is not traded, the Knicks likely will waive him to create a roster spot to sign a CBA point guard.

So he goes from Lamar Odom to a CBA point guard.... right.
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:

wahahahha, the knicks want kenyon martin? man let's hope we get that 6th seed, and utah passes the nuggets in the nortwest, so we can whup those jazz 4 straight times...
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject:

Can you imagine how ridiculous for anyone to believe that the Lakers would send over LAMAR ODOM, DEVEAN GEORGE AND ANDREW BYNUM for Channing Frye and Penny Hardaway? I actually heard the writer of that story on the Dave Smith show yesterday, claiming this idiocy. He then said the Knicks might accept Kwame Brown, Devean and Bynum for Frye and Hardaway, but the Bynum must be in the deal.

That's the stupidist trade scenario I've heard to date. No defense Frye, whose averaging less points, nearly 1/2 the rebounds, a 6th the assists and can't defend anyone in the post, and we'd supposedly give up Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum for that? I wouldn't give up Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum for that crap. I wouldn't give up Bynum for Frye period.

Sometimes New Yorkers are so "out there" they believe the most idiotic things. That trade would make us a far worse team offensively and defensively.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:

Knick fans want LO, Jam.

I have been told that they would welcome Lamar with open arms and they love his game.

Bynum they like because he's from around that area (More Jersey side) and he had the big 4th qtr.

Let em dream. Just like we do about KG
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:

Isiah is funny !

We don't take Artest ( and maybe Croshere) for Lamar and we take Penny ?
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

Ludicrous... :roll:
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Knick fans want LO, Jam.

I have been told that they would welcome Lamar with open arms and they love his game.

Bynum they like because he's from around that area (More Jersey side) and he had the big 4th qtr.

Let em dream. Just like we do about KG

I know they're dreaming, just as you say, but it still drives me nuts. I know the Lakers wouldn't make that deal, but just to hear it makes me uncomfortable. I mean, what IF someone had a massive brain fart and made one of those deals? I'd lead a group of torch bearers to Health South and fry someone's ass!
coopscohen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

If we did this deal could we send Hardaway right back out in another deal with a team that was looking for capspace? Could we package him with other players? That would give us about $22 million in expiring with George and Medvedenko
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

aynatruf wrote:
If we did this deal could we send Hardaway right back out in another deal with a team that was looking for capspace? Could we package him with other players? That would give us about $22 million in expiring with George and Medvedenko

I guess you missed the part where George would be part of the deal.
coopscohen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
aynatruf wrote:

I guess you missed the part where George would be part of the deal.

Where did it say that
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

aynatruf wrote:

Why would we send Hardaway right back out in another deal? I'd have Isiah engineer a three-way deal so we could land the starting 5 Detroit Pistons, right after he lands Kevin Garnett for Channing Frye.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

That girl must have Isiah all discombobulated. If I was Mitch, I'd take the call and put him on speaker phone just so I could get everyone in the Laker's front office to listen to the pitch and then fall on the floor laughing at it. What a ridiculous idea.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:
This is a joke!

Actually, what I heard was the Lakers countered by offering Kobe instead of Bynum and the Knicks said only if you throw in McKie. That was the deal breaker cause Phil and Mitch both think McKie is the key to our playoff run.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: