NY Post claims we were trying to get Penny from the Knicks???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NY Post claims we were trying to get Penny from the Knicks???

drew4lakers wrote:
I was going through this morning's papers and saw this in the NY Post

"The Post reported Sunday he was discussing a deal for Hardaway with four teams — Seattle, Denver, Orlando, Portland — trying to create more room under the salary cap. A league executive who has spoken to Thomas said yesterday that a fifth team is slowly emerging and could be the Timberwolves or Lakers. The Knicks want an established young player such as Earl Watson, Marko Jaric, Reggie Evans, Darius Miles or Lamar Odom.

The Knicks and Lakers were discussing a deal of Hardaway for Odom, but Los Angeles was hellbent on having Channing Frye included, and the Knicks rejected it. Word out of L.A. is Thomas would have gone for it had the Lakers added rookie center Andrew Bynum. "

This doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe someone can educate me on how it would. Penny hardaway? Maybe a couple years ago (pre-Phoenix).

Serious pipe on isiah's part if he thinks Odom and Bynum for an expriring Penny contract and Channing Frye is a good deal.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/59993.htm

So aside from swapping the 10th pick (Bynum who we picked to fit our needs)....

....for the 9th pick (Frye, which NY picked to fit their needs)....

...we'd be swapping Odom for Penny "the gimp" Hardaway?

And after all the smack he's talked about Kobe in his career?

I call shinannigans on you NY Post!!!

BS
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

If this trade was even real it would be a salary dump trade. Odom makes 13.5 plus for the next 4 years. Pennys contract is done after this year. However, if they wanted odom and change for frye, penny and a #1, that might be a great deal. We dump his salary, get a high #1 and a young front court player in Frye.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
If this trade was even real it would be a salary dump trade. Odom makes 13.5 plus for the next 4 years. Pennys contract is done after this year. However, if they wanted odom and change for frye, penny and a #1, that might be a great deal. We dump his salary, get a high #1 and a young front court player in Frye.

It would be a terrible trade. We'd have an expiring contract that has no use this season, little use next season, and only possible use for 2008. You'd swap out a player who leads our team in assists and rebounds for someone who won't do either as well, and the NY pick won't be available until 2008 at the earliest, 2011 most likely.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NY Post claims we were trying to get Penny from the Knicks???

drew4lakers wrote:
I was going through this morning's papers and saw this in the NY Post

"The Post reported Sunday he was discussing a deal for Hardaway with four teams — Seattle, Denver, Orlando, Portland — trying to create more room under the salary cap. A league executive who has spoken to Thomas said yesterday that a fifth team is slowly emerging and could be the Timberwolves or Lakers. The Knicks want an established young player such as Earl Watson, Marko Jaric, Reggie Evans, Darius Miles or Lamar Odom.

The Knicks and Lakers were discussing a deal of Hardaway for Odom, but Los Angeles was hellbent on having Channing Frye included, and the Knicks rejected it. Word out of L.A. is Thomas would have gone for it had the Lakers added rookie center Andrew Bynum. "

This doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe someone can educate me on how it would. Penny hardaway? Maybe a couple years ago (pre-Phoenix).

Serious pipe on isiah's part if he thinks Odom and Bynum for an expriring Penny contract and Channing Frye is a good deal.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/59993.htm

the knick couldn't have possibly asked for lamar odom in return for hardaway.
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Isaiah is throwing crap against the GM's to see who stinks...or something like that.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

what do you guys think of going after jamal crawford?
clone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Even mitch isn't that stupid to trade LO for Penny.

1949 1950 1952 1953 1954 1972 1980 1982 1985 1987 1988 2000 2001 2002 2009 2010
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

out of curiosity, how would you guys feel about Odom (no bynum) for Frye/Hardaway. Not saying I'd do it, just want to get some opinions.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
out of curiosity, how would you guys feel about Odom (no bynum) for Frye/Hardaway. Not saying I'd do it, just want to get some opinions.

NO. Having Cap space in 2006 doesn't help us with BGrant's contract on the books. If your plan is to retrade Hardaway, clearly the Knicks are struggling to find suitors. Hardaway may have some left in the tank, but not worth Odom.

The report (surely fake) suggests that we offered this and the Knicks asked for Bynum. Ridiculous. Isiah would have jumped at that.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

In a heart beat. We get rid of LO's toxic $$$$ at years end. Frye offensively in the post and spotting up is close to LO already. Penny can give us minutes. In frye if we get a guy already PRODUCING to pair with bynum. Thats all she wrote. they wouldnt do it it seems. So much for LO being valuable
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

In a heart beat. We get rid of LO's toxic $$$$ at years end. Frye offensively in the post and spotting up is close to LO already. Penny can give us minutes. In frye if we get a guy already PRODUCING to pair with bynum. Thats all she wrote. they wouldnt do it it seems. So much for LO being valuable

Ironic. Haha. How we both posted at nearly the same time with such different opinions. Penny isn't coming back this year tho. we would need to resign him. I can understand both sides after reading your post. I still wouldn't do it, but I guess it could go both ways. For some reason, I expected people to be pretty against the suggestion. Maybe I'm wrong.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Awful, for the reasons that I previously mentioned.

If you dump Lamar for an expiring contract and a quality player, make sure the quality player can fill the void. I don't see Frye becoming a quality second scorer, and he certainly wouldn't compensate for Lamar's rebounds and assists. Frye's defense wouldn't make up for Lamar.

Further, this team would probably tank this season and next season, unless another trade was made. That's because we'd be over the cap until 2007. Thus taking on Penny wouldn't give us access to better free agents this summer.

That's why I mentioned that the trade scenario in the NY Post makes no sense from a Laker perspective. It might save some cash, but Dr. Buss would have a season ticket holder riot on his hands.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

you know i was just gonna post that this is the kind of thing that would only be printed in a sports tabloid...then i realized that the NY post IS a sports tabloid.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I see bounty is still believing that the Knicks wouldn't trade Frye for Odom.

Yeah, ok. :roll:
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
thebooonus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Hardaway as an expiring isn't very useful for us since we would still be over the cap this summer. But his contract might be useful to somebody else in a three way. Maybe something like Hardaway + Miami 1st for K-Mart and Watson (depending upon if Denver is that eager to get out of their contracts). Then you turn Lamar and a late 1st into Frye, Martin, and Watson.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Penny would be a good option for our full mid level exception next year if his contract ends this season.

We've got a tradition going now of throwing that money away.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I actually would favor this deal if NY threw in a Unprotected #1 draft pick. Lamar/Sava for Frye, Penny, and #1 pick. This would work so the Lakers can develop their big man and Luke Walton can get the start (even tho he's garbage) and then start both Penny and Kobe in the backcourt. Penny would be the ideal triangle PG, even tho he's wash-out he has shown he can still do some things. After the season his $15 million comes off the books as well as the rest of the garbage the Lakers have on this squad. Wouldn't that mean we'd have instant cap space come this summer? I like it! I like it a lot!
novano2004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Odom deal is close

I feel that odom for hardway is close to be done.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Odom deal is close

novano2004 wrote:

I'd feel more strongly about your feeling if the deal was "close to being done"...but if for some reason you are right, I will accompany anyone willing to set up picket signs outside of staples
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Odom deal is close

novano2004 wrote:

Yeah, and you know what that means? That means we traded Shaq for Kwame, Hardaway, and a low first round pick. You tell me how Mitch can survive that? Remember how the season ticket holders basically forced Buss to bring back Phil Jackson? If they do something this stupid, Buss can kiss goodbye to a lot of the fan base.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I am not as sold on frye as most...12-7 guy in 3 years, and probably wont be better than that
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Asinine. Frye is overrated, and just the thought of trading Odom and Bynum for Frye and Penny brings hysterial absurdist laughter.

Isiah better not be actually spreading these rumours, or someone is going to have to kick his a -at- !. Who are we...punks?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:

^Here's my thing about the trade.

Okay, Odom is given up BUT:

1. Penny's contract expires in '06.
2. Frye is a solid 2-way bigman considering he's a rookie. High post skills and interchangable between PF/C. Even if he is a 12/7 guy, that's more than Kwame Brown. The frontline between PF/C would be set. Brown, Frye, Bynum, Mihm, Turiaf. Frye compliments Bynum's game with his perimeter ability.

Penny's contract expires in '06... which only helps the Lakers. With all that young talent up front, no matter what kind of player the Lakers look for in free agency, it's going to help the team. Any guard. Any SF. Any position. As long as it's 2-way quality talent.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

^
Except we would still be over the cap even without Odom next year. How exactly does salary dump help the Lakers besides Buss's back pocket?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: