2017 Lakers SL vs. 2016-2017 Regular Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: 2017 Lakers SL vs. 2016-2017 Regular Season

Still on a high from a really enjoyable summer league and time for some overreaction. I actually think the SL team this year doesn't do too bad against last year's team -- starter's all-around game makes up for an uneven bench. Thoughts?

+ Ball vs. DLO (DLO scores 40+ on Ball's defense, but Ball more than makes up for it with triple doubles galore). Advantage Ball.
+ Thomas vs. Swaggy P (I'm overreacting from the last 2 games and giving Thomas the nod here). Advantage Thomas.
+ Ingram vs. Deng (No need for any description, this one speaks for itself). Advantage Ingram
+ Kuzma vs. Randle (3 and D every time over bully ball). Advantage Kuzma
+ Zubac vs. Mozgov (Zubac is like a deer in the headlights, but he wins the tip and everything else after that). Advantage Zu

Bench
+ Blue vs. Clarkson (Tunnel vision vs. tunnel vision). Even
+ Caruso vs. Lou Will (Bald Mamba has some feistiness in him, but Lou Will eats him for lunch). Advantage Lou Will
+ Hart vs. Brewer (I know you can't have him and Lou Will on the same team, but didn't want to have Hart win this by default by putting MWP) Advantage Brewer
+ Wear vs. TRob (3 and D every time over bully ball). Advantage Wear
+ Bryant vs. Black (Bryant with a few highlight plays, but Black grinds him out down low). Advantage Black
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Lakers SL vs. 2016-2017 Regular Season

Daphanabe wrote:
Still on a high from a really enjoyable summer league and time for some overreaction. I actually think the SL team this year doesn't do too bad against last year's team -- starter's all-around game makes up for an uneven bench. Thoughts?

+ Ball vs. DLO (DLO scores 40+ on Ball's defense, but Ball more than makes up for it with triple doubles galore). Advantage Ball.
+ Thomas vs. Swaggy P (I'm overreacting from the last 2 games and giving Thomas the nod here). Advantage Thomas.
+ Ingram vs. Deng (No need for any description, this one speaks for itself). Advantage Ingram
+ Zubac vs. Mozgov (Zubac is like a deer in the headlights, but he wins the tip and everything else after that). Advantage Zu

Bench
+ Caruso vs. Lou Will (Bald Mamba has some feistiness in him, but Lou Will eats him for lunch). Advantage Lou Will
+ Hart vs. Brewer (I know you can't have him and Lou Will on the same team, but didn't want to have Hart win this by default by putting MWP) Advantage Brewer
+ Bryant vs. Black (Bryant with a few highlight plays, but Black grinds him out down low). Advantage Black

Let's not kid ourselves. The actual NBA team destroys a SPL team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Posters vastly underrate the skills of NBA players.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Lakers SL vs. 2016-2017 Regular Season

yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Bench

Ha ha. I know, was only being half serious. Looking at that starting five though, I think the SL puts up a good fight but gets destroyed by bench play (particularly Lou Will and Black who will eat their counterparts alive).
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Posters vastly underrate the skills of NBA players.

Just looking at the starting five, I think I'd actually bet on 2017 SL.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

a little off topic.... what is the level of play in the summer league? Is it better than D League? better than division 1 college?

by the way I disagree with your analysis OP. Maybe a year or two into their actual NBA career you may be right, not now.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
a little off topic.... what is the level of play in the summer league? Is it better than D League? better than division 1 college?

by the way I disagree with your analysis OP. Maybe a year or two into their actual NBA career you may be right, not now.

Agreed. Would be a fun game to watch though.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

When Yin & VLF gives basically the same response.

As for the game, it would at least be fun to watch though, just for the Ball vs DLO aspect alone. I wonder will DLO get in Ball's face like he did with Lillard. I think Ingram would be the best player on the court, but Randle would be too much of a load for the Summer League team to handle. Edge - 2016 Lakers.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:

Definitely better than D-1 college. Pretty much everyone in Summer League played high level D-1, and a lot of those guys also have 2-3 years of pro experience in the NBA, D-League, or overseas. And then obviously you have all the draft picks, who are presumably 60 of the best D-1 players.

I think the talent level of SL is probably better than the D-League, but it's not nearly as organized. For that reason I'd probably say the D-League might be a bit better overall.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:

Better than D/G league, better than division 1. Reasoning is that you might only have the best 3-4 guys from a D/G league team being invited to summer league. Only standout D1 players are gonna be in SL, as well.
Almost every guy in summer league was the best player on their college team.
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.

Last edited by underdogsgv on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

The only reason a thread like this is even possible is because of how good Lonzo is at making his teammates better. This SL squad wasn't nearly as good as Lonzo made them look. They fared decently in two games without him, sure, but by then he had already made his style contagious.

Last edited by Judah on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
When Yin & VLF gives basically the same response.

As for the game, it would at least be fun to watch though, just for the Ball vs DLO aspect alone. I wonder will DLO get in Ball's face like he did with Lillard. I think Ingram would be the best player on the court, but Randle would be too much of a load for the Summer League team to handle. Edge - 2016 Lakers.

I think you're right that Randle might be the deciding factor.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Oh and easily 2016-17 Lakers.

You could make the case that rookie Lonzo > 2nd year DLO, but that's close IMO. Obviously 2nd year Ingram > rookie Ingram. And obviously Kuz is a nice player. But those are the only 3 legit NBA guys on the SL team (assuming Zubac is actually as terrible as he was this summer). As bad as we were last year, everyone on our roster could play. JC, Randle, Moz, Lou, Nick, Larry, Brewer, and Deng are all vastly better than anyone else on the summer league team.

This really isn't even a question.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Put any group of fringe NBA players with some shooting skill next to Lonzo and I'd take them over last year's squad. Having DLO/Lou/Swag gives them a punchers chance but Lonzo is that good.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

This SL team was fun, but oh boy...

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

People act like we weren't playing against a bunch of G-Leaguers in the summer league.

The west is stacked, the talent level isn't even close.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Put any group of fringe NBA players with some shooting skill next to Lonzo and I'd take them over last year's squad. Having DLO/Lou/Swag gives them a punchers chance but Lonzo is that good.

I like the way you think
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

nope, he is not. Not a slight against him, but it is silly to think him and some fringe players (G Leaguer's) could defeat legitimate NBA talent.
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Lakers SL vs. 2016-2017 Regular Season

yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Bench

I think it's safe to say the starting lineup we trotted out last year was not an actual NBA team.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

nope, he is not. Not a slight against him, but it is silly to think him and some fringe players (G Leaguer's) could defeat legitimate NBA talent.

Forget the bench, since our SL team obviously gets destroyed there. What do you think about this five on five. Serious question as I think it's quite close.

+ Ball vs. DLO
+ Thomas (weakest link, but need shooting with Lonzo) vs. Swaggy P
+ Ingram vs. Deng
+ Kuzma vs. Randle
+ Zubac vs. Mozgov
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Forget the bench, since our SL team obviously gets destroyed there. What do you think about this five on five. Serious question as I think it's quite close.

+ Ball vs. DLO
+ Ingram vs. Deng
+ Kuzma vs. Randle
+ Zubac vs. Mozgov

as of today, without hesitation i think the Randle, Deng, Swaggy lineup wins...If I could age the Ball team a couple years while keeping the other side their current age, I think they would likely have a stronger case.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

+ Ball vs. DLO
+ Ingram vs. Deng
+ Kuzma vs. Randle
+ Zubac vs. Mozgov

I think SL loses by 10-15
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

As JVG said, shooting covers a lot of warts.

That 2016 team was built for a different era.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

This is like the "the 12th man on an NBA roster wouldn't be the best player in my 35 and over rec league" argument.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: