If Lakers Are a 'Long Shot' for LeBron, They Must Have Eyes for Boogie, PG13
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: If Lakers Are a 'Long Shot' for LeBron, They Must Have Eyes for Boogie, PG13

Hey all,

At @BleacherReport If Lakers Are a 'Long Shot' for LeBron, They Must Have Eyes for Boogie, PG13

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750340-if-lakers-are-a-long-shot-for-lebron-they-must-have-eyes-for-boogie-pg13

Thanks,

Eric
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

I've been saying this for the longest. With all of the fancy names being rumored to be on the Laker's "wish list", the one player that we need the most, that fits with the young talent we have is Demarcus Cousins. His game and presence and what he brings to the table, is exactly what this team needs. You bring him, along with a PG and this team is a contender right away! While LeBron is great, and would also make us a contender, he is a short term solution. Boogie and PG are long term.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

Eric, looks like my team in my sig?

I think the Lakers just have a legacy/pedigree of big men, and Boogie is the best FA out there in that respect, warts and all.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

I struggle to visualize success in the Laker future with Cousins in the Laker fold. I have as little doubt about this as any possibility imagineable. He would be an impediment to us, hell, to any team wanting to become a championship contender.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I struggle to visualize success in the Laker future with Cousins in the Laker fold. I have as little doubt about this as any possibility imagineable. He would be an impediment to us, hell, to any team wanting to become a championship contender.

I completely understand your skepticism. But to be fair, Boogie hasn't been around a winning culture, a winning environment. I'm willing to bet on his talent. He's too good to pass up if we have a real chance to get him. Of course, a guy like AD would be more ideal but, I don't think we have a realistic chance of getting him.

I'm on team Boogie!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

I completely understand your skepticism. But to be fair, Boogie hasn't been around a winning culture, a winning environment. I'm willing to bet on his talent. He's too good to pass up if we have a real chance to get him. Of course, a guy like AD would be more ideal but, I don't think we have a realistic chance of getting him.

I'm on team Boogie!

I'm gonna disagree that his failures relate the lack of surrounding talent.

At Kentucky, he played with John Wall and Eric Bledsoe and his team didn't even reach the Final Four round at the Big Dance.

In NO, he plays with two All Stars (Holiday, Davis) and they haven't broken .500 .

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

If we get PG3 and Cuz it would be a monster haul.
Do it Magic/Rob!!
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Boogie and PG13 should be trade targets.

Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Lopez, KCP should be main components.

Zubac, Hart, Bryant are equal to a late to mid round first rounder.

2020 first rounder

Brewer expiring contract short term vet help

Seems like we could make a deal.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

I'm on team Boogie!

At Kentucky, he played with John Wall and Eric Bledsoe and his team didn't even reach the Final Four round at the Big Dance.

In NO, he plays with two All Stars (Holiday, Davis) and they haven't broken .500 .

I don't think that, that's a fair assessment. That's college. A lot of talented college teams don't win it all. A lot more variables are involved with winning in college. He was only there for 1 year.

Getting Boogie makes me nervous as well. But I'm willing to chance it. If it doesn't work, he still good enough, young enough to trade and get assets for.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If we get PG3 and Cuz it would be a monster haul.
Do it Magic/Rob!!

Agreed 100%
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

I think we get PG by Feb, then Cousins follows in the summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

I'm on team Boogie!

He has always been a part of the culture of teams he has played for. There have been on and off the court issues with him, including questionable behavior around young players in the locker room. That is putting it nicely. I realize the hope that being a Laker will change that (it never has), but that is what we would be signing up for.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:

2020 first rounder

I doubt that either is on the trade market, both teams have said they want to re-sign their FAs.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that Magic won't turn down the first big FA that is willing to sign on. He's already "thrown down the gauntlet" for himself with his public two FA plan. There is risk for all of these FA's. Boogie brings mental baggage, George might eat up our young core's minutes and not be effective, James is on the downhill slide. The potential benefits, IMO, is too big to turn down, if we can keep our young core intact.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

2020 first rounder

I doubt that either is on the trade market, both teams have said they want to re-sign their FAs.

Agreed but if they continue to struggle and think they will not be able to resign them they could end up being traded by trade deadline versus getting nothing in return.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

2020 first rounder

Agreed but if they continue to struggle and think they will not be able to resign them they could end up being traded by trade deadline versus getting nothing in return.

Or if they let them walk they minimize luxury tax payments instead of paying for added salary. They aren’t big market teams and OKC is up against the repeater tax.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

VLF, I thought you said the CBA no longer made it unfair for small market teams. But now it's a concern for small market teams?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
VLF, I thought you said the CBA no longer made it unfair for small market teams. But now it's a concern for small market teams?

Teams that have to pay repeater taxes on the likes of Clarkson. It has been different for star players, OKC and NO have had no issues paying.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Teams that have to pay repeater taxes on the likes of Clarkson. It has been different for star players, OKC and NO have had no issues paying.

But you said you think Danny Green is a better player/fit than PG13 at 30m. So OKC would pay luxury/repeater tax for a team that clearly doesn't work just b/c PG13 is well, PG13?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But you said you think Danny Green is a better player/fit than PG13 at 30m. So OKC would pay luxury/repeater tax for a team that clearly doesn't work just b/c PG13 is well, PG13?

I don’t know, that is up to their ownership.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't think PG and DMC are a good fit. IMO, both need to play alongside a clear-cut #1 so they can play the role they're suited for. Putting them together seems like an uneasy arrangement. Both will be trying to assert themselves as the lead scorer. Just a weird fit to me. I like Lebron with either, obviously.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I like your idea of LA and NO swapping Deng and Asik, that would be more easier for both teams and they finally move on from there signing mistakes.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:

Well they're 15-16, so they're basically .500. And I haven't really watched them this season, but the data seems to indicate Rondo is the weak link. Every line up where Cousins is paired with Rondo is a huge net negative. So is their losing more a function of Rondo sucking and a coach going against the data than Cousins sucking? We're all aware of the effects of a coach going with a net negative line up against all indications that it won't work....
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Scenario A is likely us trading for Boogie and George before the deadline.

Step 1: trade Clarkson, Randle and Deng for Cousins, Rondo and Asik
Step 2: trade KCP and Nance for Paul George
Step 3: find a trade for Asik or extend, waive and stretch cap hit over next 11 years.
Step 4: convince Paul George to opt in for final year. Give him 5 year deal next year.

With Lonzo, Ingram, Kuz, Hart, George and Cousins’ cap hold, we would have just enough to sign Lebron to a max deal.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

James stays in Cleveland for the rest of his career, buys the franchise and moves it to LA, where he has 2 houses and his kids can go to school.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: