Magic's participation at summer league
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Magic's participation at summer league

I was very impressed with Magic's participation at summer league. It appeared to me that he attended most if not all of the games the Lakers played and he was front and center on the floor watching and rooting them on. He was right there sitting with Rob, Luke and Jesse. He also did some on air interviews too. I don't know how many Presidents would participate at summer league to that degree. It shows me he is 100% committed to this process. The best part was the championship ceremony and when they gave the mvp of the final game to Kuzma the camera panned to Magic and was yelling Kuuuuuuuuuuz. Keep up the good work Magic.

Last edited by 32 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

But he also could have been setting up meetings with Aaron Brooks and Kendall Marshall!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Not a surprise PG tweeted after the game as well. It's all coming together.
laker_guerilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

I agree and it was great to see Magic's in game reactions; you could see them in the bottom of the frame the whole time. Intense and engaged.

In interviews he needs to remember he's not a TV analyst; he gives away too much info and can be perceived as slighting players ... i.e. failing to mention Clarkson multiple times, talking openly about getting a vet PG (maybe there are others in the FO who don't agree?) and airing that publicly ... he could make better choices.

But he's Magic and he brought us 5 rings! Respect
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

The only thing "Tragic" is the lack of respect some Lakers fans have for Magic. I, for one, think he's done an amazing job thus far. He hasn't done anything that I have disagreed with yet. After reading other teams' forums, I have a feeling that many around the NBA are fearful that Magic is back with the Lakers. They hate that we have basketball royalty leading us now. They feel the league will basically cater to Magic just because of who he is. Whether it's gifting us a draft pick or looking the other way when it comes to possible tampering. Many are fearful that his smile will lure free agents (along with the fact that we are a great destination). And many are fearful that his life long history of success will bring the Lakers back from the dead.

And those who say that NBA success doesn't translate to front office success, and use Phil Jackson as an example, they are half right. Yes, NBA success doesn't always translate to front office success. But Phil was only good at one thing. Coaching. He was a terrible, terrible player. Lots of the best coaches spent a lot of time riding the pine. Magic was a champion in college, the NBA, and the Olympics. And as much NBA success he has had, he is arguably a better business man. He didn't have to be, but he did that anyways. And now he's head of the Lakers. Things are looking up Lakers Nation.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been a fan of Magic's pressers, but I thought he did a good job today at KCP's. TBH, Magic's charisma was much needed given KCP's lack of personality, but I liked what I heard from Magic. Giving props to BI for supporting his SPL teammates was a nice touch.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
The only thing "Tragic" is the lack of respect some Lakers fans have for Magic. I, for one, think he's done an amazing job thus far. He hasn't done anything that I have disagreed with yet. After reading other teams' forums, I have a feeling that many around the NBA are fearful that Magic is back with the Lakers. They hate that we have basketball royalty leading us now. They feel the league will basically cater to Magic just because of who he is. Whether it's gifting us a draft pick or looking the other way when it comes to possible tampering. Many are fearful that his smile will lure free agents (along with the fact that we are a great destination). And many are fearful that his life long history of success will bring the Lakers back from the dead.

And those who say that NBA success doesn't translate to front office success, and use Phil Jackson as an example, they are half right. Yes, NBA success doesn't always translate to front office success. But Phil was only good at one thing. Coaching. He was a terrible, terrible player. Lots of the best coaches spent a lot of time riding the pine. Magic was a champion in college, the NBA, and the Olympics. And as much NBA success he has had, he is arguably a better business man. He didn't have to be, but he did that anyways. And now he's head of the Lakers. Things are looking up Lakers Nation.

Magic is a winner and pretty much does well in everything he puts his heart into. I knew Jeanne made a great choice in choosing him to run the show, because everything he touches turns to gold. He will not rest until the team is up on top again, and Lonzo is his avatar.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

It's kind of a double-edged sword. It's nice to see him involved in everything, but he's also going to be involved in everything.

So if he's not doing his job, who is doing his job? Rob?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

The only complaint I've had about Magic is that he was hyping Lonzo up too much without him having played an NBA game yet (and this was also before he earned the respect of his teammates), which was just a bad look and puts more pressure on the kid to perform. Yeah, his dad already pushes him hard and talks him up like crazy, but no one pays Lavar any mind - Magic is actually the team president and should reign it in a bit. But that complaint is quickly becoming a faded memory with the way Lonzo lit it up in the summer league and showed that he may actually be able to live up to all the praise and expectations put on his shoulders.

And it's good that Magic is starting to spread the encouraging words among the other members of the team, talking up BI, Kuz, and some of the vets like Brook, KCP, Jules, and Nance. You don't want to make it sound like this is a one-man team and everyone else is the supporting cast, which would create a culture of resentment in the locker room towards Lonzo (the media already does enough of that (bleep)), so I'm glad he's being more open with his praise of other guys who've earned it.

All in all, it may sound like a cliche, but Magic and Rob's excitement and passion for the players and new direction they're steering the franchise in (as thick as they lay it on at times with the showmanship and cheesiness ) has actually been very refreshing and infectious. You can tell it's making a difference and guys are buying into their program with newfound confidence. It's all been very amazing (and I'll admit surprising) to see as a fan, and I look forward to where they take us from here
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Magic has become as successful in business as he is because he clearly has a knack for putting people in the right place to succeed. Do you think he opened up all those restaurants and Starbucks', etc. all by himself? He surrounded himself with the right people - attorneys, accountants, advisors, etc. to make that happen.

It seems he's building an organization here in that same fashion.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Amazing to me that there are still some people around here who think Magic is messing everything up. From what I have seen, the Lakers are improving on almost EVERY level.

Honestly, I will be amazed if we don't win 40+ games this year.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

If you remember the 1991 press conference and how almost everyone (self-definitely included) was crying when Magic said, 'I know God gave me this disease because he knew I could beat it.' then seeing him dominate the Basketball Ops side of things really comes as no surprise.

I mean think about this...this man beat HI(muthableeping)V...

He's a straight winner in all aspects of life...he's the greatest Laker of all-time...and the coolest thing about him is that the only thing that matters is winning.

There are no accidents...our roster is light-years better than last year...our luck is light-years better than last year...the vibe is light-years better than last year...

And that's why we lovingly call him Magic.

#BannersOverBillboards
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I would assume a president and GM would be at all of the SPL games. They play a big part in deciding who gets a camp invite and what not so seeing the games in person should be a given.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
It's kind of a double-edged sword. It's nice to see him involved in everything, but he's also going to be involved in everything.

Agreed, but I think it's okay for now. Magic is very good at the optics, and the team needed it. In the end, however, Magic will be judged by results. That is as it should be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Magic has become as successful in business as he is because he clearly has a knack for putting people in the right place to succeed. Do you think he opened up all those restaurants and Starbucks', etc. all by himself? He surrounded himself with the right people - attorneys, accountants, advisors, etc. to make that happen.

Only I wish he would have added basketball people, people who know how to operate in the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Agreed, but I think it's okay for now. Magic is very good at the optics, and the team needed it. In the end, however, Magic will be judged by results. That is as it should be.

Just as long as he stays away from game decisions, leave that to the professionals, Luke or the training staff.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with it during summer league but not during the regular season. It just underminess Luke, especially because Luke's not afraid to bench people. Last thing we need is someone in Luke's dog house trying to butter up Magic, especially if its someone like Lonzo or Ingram underperforming.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I tend to like people who have Mitch's personality; Low-key, quiet, mysterious, man of few words, calculating, simply because that's me. Therefore, Magic's brashness, and in your face personality is kind of low-key annoying to me .

However, I know that most people love a Magic Johnson type personality. People love exuberance and a bubbly personality. It's easy to gravitate toward.

Magic knows how to play the game and he always has everyone on his side. That's important in this business. Even if it may be annoying to me, I totally understand why the majority of people love it and ultimately love him.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:
I'm fine with it during summer league but not during the regular season. It just underminess Luke, especially because Luke's not afraid to bench people. Last thing we need is someone in Luke's dog house trying to butter up Magic, especially if its someone like Lonzo or Ingram underperforming.

Luke rarely benches a single person. He benches the entire unit. He punishes everyone else for one person's mistake, which was kind of annoying and a complaint a lot of people had on here this season. It actually seemed like he didn't want to mess with anyone's psyche.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
I tend to like people who have Mitch's personality; Low-key, quiet, mysterious, man of few words, calculating, simply because that's me. Therefore, Magic's brashness, and in your face personality is kind of low-key annoying to me .

However, I know that most people love a Magic Johnson type personality. People love exuberance and a bubbly personality. It's easy to gravitate toward.

Magic knows how to play the game and he always has everyone on his side. That's important in this business. Even if it may be annoying to me, I totally understand why the majority of people love it and ultimately love him.

I'm with you on that one. Probably why I was a Mitch apologist. So far though, I haven't had any significant issues with the Maginka regime.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, it's only been a few weeks. The preseason hasn't even started. Heck, we're not even in training camp yet.

But I felt he meddled with game management last season in the final weeks of the season. And Magic has long been a meddler.

I would just like him to stay in his lane and hire the right people and then allow them to do their jobs. He's come out and said that's his style, let's see if he really means it. So far, not the case, but it's early.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Just as long as he stays away from game decisions, leave that to the professionals, Luke or the training staff.

He indicated such in the KCP presser; said that its up to Luke & staff to take over at this point.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:

Only I wish he would have added basketball people, people who know how to operate in the league.

How does Pelinka not fit that bill? He's been operating in the league for 20+ years.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:

How does Pelinka not fit that bill? He's been operating in the league for 20+ years.

Pelinka is a puppet.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:

Pelinka is a puppet.

Puppet in what way? And what are you basing this on?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: