Magic's participation at summer league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

BleedPurpleGold wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I agree that their lack of peace was holding the franchise back, Jeanie tried to derail Jim at every turn, which didn't need to be done because Jim was nothing without Mitch. My only regret is that both kids weren't sent packing and instead give the ones who look like they have a good head on their shoulders (Jesse and Joey) a chance to run things.

She wasn't trying to derail him. It's a complicated situation.

But I don't expect a feeble minded person like you to understand

Again, guise...
BleedPurpleGold
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
They aren't giving MAX deals to those two players.

If the FO does not produce something major next summer, it will be perceived as a failure. Magic will get ridiculed both on this board and in the national media.

Who gives a sh--??

Stay. The. Course.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Angry little head.. You guys kill me

How would you guys feel about us only being able to acquire Cousins? A Cousins coupled with a Ball and Ingram playing close to their peak?

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Kuz
Cousins

That's a hell of a line up, competitive as well.

That's a pretty balanced lineup, but Boogie seems so antithetical to the culture that the team is trying to establish.

Has he been as much of a problem in NO as he was in Sac?

IDK but it seems like the antics have decreased a lot.

I'm genuinely curious about what went down with the Boogie trade talks when Magic wasn't yet in charge. Did Magic want to trade for him or was he upset that they were trying to trade Ingram for him?

As the court docs showed...Jesse sounded the alarm to Jeannie that Jim was trying to trade BI plus for Boogie and that she needed to step in immediately to stop it.

Magic was apparently at the all-star game and completely unaware.

This seems to have been the final straw and Jennie immediately cleaned house.

link to that story?

Google is amazing...give it a spin.

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Mitch turned down a deal involving BI, and aside from a complete 180 (from, "they didn't get a guy like cousins when he was cheap" to "Oh, what we really meant was they tried, but were too late") on their narrative after the fact, there was really nothing you can point to that indicates there was any attempt to land Cousins. More to the point, the more logical worry was about George, who was potentially available and who Mitch probably WOULD have taken a serious run at.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Haters are going to hate. Magic, Rob (and even Luke) ensure that our team is in very capable hands. Magic is off to a GREAT start and to say otherwise is just being fraudulent.

Or that he's just enacting Jim's plan...f ing hilarious.

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Haters are going to hate. Magic, Rob (and even Luke) ensure that our team is in very capable hands. Magic is off to a GREAT start and to say otherwise is just being fraudulent.

In reality, he's doing the plan that Jim did a couple years ago, where they place holded and saved room for last year when Kobe retired. Magic is setting himself up to actually pull that plan off, which is neither a knock on him nor really anything at all about Jim. It's a pretty well-known idea. The devil is in the execution.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

At the same time, Jim was making moves that Jesse interpreted as mortgaging the Lakers' future to save his job. In early January, he heard the Lakers had been discussing trades for veteran players -- like Atlanta's Paul Millsap -- that involved giving up several of the team's young players.

"I emailed Joey and Jeanie: 'This is the time where you need to step in!'" Jesse says. "The next day, she sent an email to everyone saying, 'If any trades being discussed include our young players, please notify me so I can sign off.'"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19104767/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-shares-details-decision-family-franchise

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
At the same time, Jim was making moves that Jesse interpreted as mortgaging the Lakers' future to save his job. In early January, he heard the Lakers had been discussing trades for veteran players -- like Atlanta's Paul Millsap -- that involved giving up several of the team's young players.

"I emailed Joey and Jeanie: 'This is the time where you need to step in!'" Jesse says. "The next day, she sent an email to everyone saying, 'If any trades being discussed include our young players, please notify me so I can sign off.'"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19104767/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-shares-details-decision-family-franchise

Yeah, not going to buy history rewritten after the fact, especially by a guy who jumped up seriously in the hierarchy, especially stuff you know on the face of it makes no sense. Trading the youngsters for Millsap in January accomplishes what for Jim?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Ironically though, what if the Millsap trade talk (which was likely Atlanta looking for a trade BTW, not the other way around) was moving a big contract with a young asset out for Millsap's expiring? You know, like DLO and Mozgov For Lopez?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

BleedPurpleGold wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:

If the FO does not produce something major next summer, it will be perceived as a failure. Magic will get ridiculed both on this board and in the national media.

Who gives a sh--??

Stay. The. Course.

I doubt Magic get's ridiculed for putting the franchise in a position to land two max assets. At the end of the day you cant force individuals to sign, what you can do is put yourself in a position financially to acquire them.

I suppose you'd ridicule him if you already had an issue with him from the outset.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

In reality, he's doing the plan that Jim did a couple years ago, where they place holded and saved room for last year when Kobe retired. Magic is setting himself up to actually pull that plan off, which is neither a knock on him nor really anything at all about Jim. It's a pretty well-known idea. The devil is in the execution.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I personally would never ridicule Magic no matter what the results will be while he is President. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and that's good enough for me.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I personally would never ridicule Magic no matter what the results will be while he is President. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and that's enough for me.

This!!!!!!!!!!! I do not get it. The ridicule is unmerited and even if it was, Magic has EARNED a lifetime of free passes and mulligans for what he has given us.

The fact is Magic is looking shrewd; the trade, the picks, not panicking and making a trade for PG, and signing KCP. Saying he is enacting Jim's plan is moronic to say the least and it shows someones ill will towards Magic and demonstrates that they may have an agenda. Every bad team tries to rebuild via the draft and clear cap space in order to sign FA's. This is not rocket science and it clearly wasn't invented by Jim. The difference is Magic is following throw with his plan, and so far, so good.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BleedPurpleGold wrote:

Who gives a sh--??

Stay. The. Course.

I doubt Magic get's ridiculed for putting the franchise in a position to land two max assets. At the end of the day you cant force individuals to sign, what you can do is put yourself in a position financially to acquire them.

I suppose you'd ridicule him if you already had an issue with him from the outset.

The national media would be all over a "free agents snub Magic" storyline. You know that. It matters because Magic is working hard to change the narrative about the Lakers as a destination team. I respect that.

As for LG and Laker Nation in general, we'll turn on anyone. You know how that goes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
32 wrote:
I personally would never ridicule Magic no matter what the results will be while he is President. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and that's enough for me.

This!!!!!!!!!!! I do not get it. The ridicule is unmerited and even if it was, Magic has EARNED a lifetime of free passes and mulligans for what he has given us.

The fact is Magic is looking shrewd; the trade, the picks, not panicking and making a trade for PG, and signing KCP. Saying he is enacting Jim's plan is moronic to say the least and it shows someones ill will towards Magic and demonstrates that they may have an agenda. Every bad team tries to rebuild via the draft and clear cap space in order to sign FA's. This is not rocket science and it clearly wasn't invented by Jim. The difference is Magic is following throw with his plan, and so far, so good.

Anyone who has been here for more than a minute expecting lifetime passes or benefit of the doubt for front office people (even after they deliver) is probably not being realistic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

And it is a plan that is hardly Laker specific. There is a good chance that the Spurs do the same minus the tanking. Their moves at the deadline will tell the story.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I personally would never ridicule Magic no matter what the results will be while he is President. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and that's good enough for me.

No, he was a great player and cemented me as a Laker fan, even if he fails he deserves respect.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
32 wrote:

Anyone who has been here for more than a minute expecting lifetime passes or benefit of the doubt for front office people (even after they deliver) is probably not being realistic.

I have been here more than a minute and I don't care about "here", especially when the Laker Icon does not even get a fair shake. I care about the man that destroyed the leprechaun curse. I care about the man who saved the NBA. I could never talk ill about him especially since he gave us so many great moments and put us on the map.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

BleedPurpleGold wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I agree that their lack of peace was holding the franchise back, Jeanie tried to derail Jim at every turn, which didn't need to be done because Jim was nothing without Mitch. My only regret is that both kids weren't sent packing and instead give the ones who look like they have a good head on their shoulders (Jesse and Joey) a chance to run things.

She wasn't trying to derail him. It's a complicated situation.

But I don't expect a feeble minded person like you to understand

Jeannie absolutely tried to derail Jim at every opportunity. There's no doubt that Jim didn't inspire much confidence. However, Jeannie was the one that fanned the flames with her unnecessary interviews and her not-so-subtle use of media mouthpieces like SAS, Ramona and Ding. The Buss feud was perpetuated by Jeannie in the same way that the Shaq/Kobe feud was perpetuated by Shaq. If you recall, Kobe never said a thing about Shaq until the Jim Gray interview. It was obvious that Shaq and Kobe had their issues, but Shaq was the one who couldn't keep his mouth shut in front of the mic.

The bottom line is that I don't think that Jeannie ever gave Jim the support he needed. I don't know if Jeannie just couldn't get over the way Phil was treated by Jim when we almost hired Phil to coach the Kobe/Pau/Dwight/Nash Lakers, but I'm confident she never backed Jim the way she is now backing Magic and Pelinka. That doesn't excuse the 2 horrible offseason signings last summer or Jim's inability to sell FAs on coming to the Lakers. At the end of the day, what's done is done. I don't think very highly of Jeannie, but I'm just glad that our FO is finally on the same page.
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
But he also could have been setting up meetings with Aaron Brooks and Kendall Marshall!

Always one. SMH
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
32 wrote:

I have been here more than a minute and I don't care about "here", especially when the Laker Icon does not even get a fair shake. I care about the man that destroyed the leprechaun curse. I care about the man who saved the NBA. I could never talk ill about him especially since he gave us so many great moments and put us on the map.

I hear you and respect your feelings. Just answering your post, which was about here, since it was posted here.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

His heart?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

My bad Omar. I just think there is an special aura right now that is eminating from our team and we have not had that for a long time. Good things are coming our way!!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

His heart?

I'm coming to grips with the fact that some people like some other people deeply and without condition, and while I don't share that, it's not something we need to hold against each other. We can discuss why we feel the way we do from a position of mutual respect.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

The whole argument of "Magic and Rob are just copying Jim and Mitch's plan" is so tired it isn't even funny.

That's like saying - hey, I make pasta, and Bobby Flay makes pasta too, so we're both doing the exact same thing. No, mine tastes like something out of a box and his is served at 5-star restaurants around the world.

The plan isn't unique. It's a plan many teams around the league are trying to accomplish. What's unique is the execution and if you don't believe Magic and Rob are better equipped to reel in a "big fish" than Jim and Mitch were, I don't know what to tell you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: