Magic's participation at summer league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
The whole argument of "Magic and Rob are just copying Jim and Mitch's plan" is so tired it isn't even funny.

That's like saying - hey, I make pasta, and Bobby Flay makes pasta too, so we're both doing the exact same thing. No, mine tastes like something out of a box and his is served at 5-star restaurants around the world.

The plan isn't unique. It's a plan many teams around the league are trying to accomplish. What's unique is the execution and if you don't believe Magic and Rob are better equipped to reel in a "big fish" than Jim and Mitch were, I don't know what to tell you.

Right. So basically you just said what most of us are saying. Not a new or novel plan, it's all going to come down to whether they are better equipped to make it so.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

I think Magic being in the front row and being present, especially on a weekend where a good amount of the NBA is in Vegas, is probably a good thing. He seems to have a good rapport with players. I think during interviews he comes across as a bit of a doofus but there's undeniably a new buzz about the team.. Maybe we needed someone to promote the hell out of us.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think Magic being in the front row and being present, especially on a weekend where a good amount of the NBA is in Vegas, is probably a good thing. He seems to have a good rapport with players. I think during interviews he comes across as a bit of a doofus but there's undeniably a new buzz about the team.. Maybe we needed someone to promote the hell out of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Not too many doofuses worth what Magic's worth

Just messin wit cha ocho.

I think Magic comes across as excited like a kid on Christmas to have his dream job. I love that type of genuine unbridled joy people show when they're doing what they love.

So refreshing in the age of PC and keeping everything close to the vest.

#BannersOverBillboards
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

It's definitely a different look for the FO. If Magic and Pelinka like you, then you'll get praised up and down. I don't know if other FOs do this with their players, but it's certainly not something Mitch and Jim really did.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think Magic comes across as excited like a kid on Christmas to have his dream job. I love that type of genuine unbridled joy people show when they're doing what they love.

I feel that way too. It feels like he truly wants to turn this franchise around, and his actions so far is doing just that.

Even when he took over last year, remember he gave Ingram advice and Ingram turned his season around. Magic has that positive, enthusiastic auora with him.

Last edited by True Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Haters are going to hate. Magic, Rob (and even Luke) ensure that our team is in very capable hands. Magic is off to a GREAT start and to say otherwise is just being fraudulent.

Or that he's just enacting Jim's plan...f ing hilarious.

In reality, he's doing the plan that Jim did a couple years ago, where they place holded and saved room for last year when Kobe retired. Magic is setting himself up to actually pull that plan off, which is neither a knock on him nor really anything at all about Jim. It's a pretty well-known idea. The devil is in the execution.

Right...it's not Jim's plan...it's the plan all major markets have and all small markets wish they could even dream of pulling off.

That someone would try to say all Magic is doing is executing Jim's plan is irritating because what we are comparing isn't the plan...but the ability to execute it.

Thus far...imo...Magic has accomplished in 4 months what Jim didn't in 4 years...thus my grade of an A+ for this offseason on it's own merits.

The roster from 2016 to 2017 is night an day as far as player skill sets complimenting one another. That they could do all of this and only give up 1 asset that we've more than replaced already for the upcoming season is astounding.

That Magic has been so available and so out in front is another great sign of leadership...you know who's in charge and he runs it like a team and a family too.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
At the same time, Jim was making moves that Jesse interpreted as mortgaging the Lakers' future to save his job. In early January, he heard the Lakers had been discussing trades for veteran players -- like Atlanta's Paul Millsap -- that involved giving up several of the team's young players.

"I emailed Joey and Jeanie: 'This is the time where you need to step in!'" Jesse says. "The next day, she sent an email to everyone saying, 'If any trades being discussed include our young players, please notify me so I can sign off.'"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19104767/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-shares-details-decision-family-franchise

Yeah, not going to buy history rewritten after the fact, especially by a guy who jumped up seriously in the hierarchy, especially stuff you know on the face of it makes no sense. Trading the youngsters for Millsap in January accomplishes what for Jim?

Respectfully disagree...he may have increased his position in the org, but that was more than deserved based upon his merit for how the scouting department now runs...the money he is earning now is the same money he was earning before, that has not changed.

This isn't a historical rewrite...it's the 1st edition my brother. This is a direct quote from the source. And Jesse is perhaps the only Buss we all generally agree on as solid...very close to what Dr. Buss was less the womanizing, drinking, and gambling.

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Haters are going to hate. Magic, Rob (and even Luke) ensure that our team is in very capable hands. Magic is off to a GREAT start and to say otherwise is just being fraudulent.

In reality, he's doing the plan that Jim did a couple years ago, where they place holded and saved room for last year when Kobe retired. Magic is setting himself up to actually pull that plan off, which is neither a knock on him nor really anything at all about Jim. It's a pretty well-known idea. The devil is in the execution.

Right...it's not Jim's plan...it's the plan all major markets have and all small markets wish they could even dream of pulling off.

That someone would try to say all Magic is doing is executing Jim's plan is irritating because what we are comparing isn't the plan...but the ability to execute it.

Thus far...imo...Magic has accomplished in 4 months what Jim didn't in 4 years...thus my grade of an A+ for this offseason on it's own merits.

The roster from 2016 to 2017 is night an day as far as player skill sets complimenting one another. That they could do all of this and only give up 1 asset that we've more than replaced already for the upcoming season is astounding.

That Magic has been so available and so out in front is another great sign of leadership...you know who's in charge and he runs it like a team and a family too.

I don't get this part. Aside from trading away Mozgov's contract (at a steep price, like it or not), what has he accomplished that Jim didn't in 4 years? If you mean with regard to PR, I will totally agree with you. On the court, there's really no there there yet (and I am totally onboard that they may have the there lined up). Lonzo? Mitch and Jim take him, no doubt. Kuzma? Jesse was the guy on him and was the lead scout under Mitch. So essentially they traded DLo for Hart and Bryant in return for dumping Mozgov. That's not huge value in the short term even if you like the longer play.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
The only thing "Tragic" is the lack of respect some Lakers fans have for Magic. I, for one, think he's done an amazing job thus far. He hasn't done anything that I have disagreed with yet. After reading other teams' forums, I have a feeling that many around the NBA are fearful that Magic is back with the Lakers. They hate that we have basketball royalty leading us now. They feel the league will basically cater to Magic just because of who he is. Whether it's gifting us a draft pick or looking the other way when it comes to possible tampering. Many are fearful that his smile will lure free agents (along with the fact that we are a great destination). And many are fearful that his life long history of success will bring the Lakers back from the dead.

And those who say that NBA success doesn't translate to front office success, and use Phil Jackson as an example, they are half right. Yes, NBA success doesn't always translate to front office success. But Phil was only good at one thing. Coaching. He was a terrible, terrible player. Lots of the best coaches spent a lot of time riding the pine. Magic was a champion in college, the NBA, and the Olympics. And as much NBA success he has had, he is arguably a better business man. He didn't have to be, but he did that anyways. And now he's head of the Lakers. Things are looking up Lakers Nation.
What a fantastic post!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:
I personally would never ridicule Magic no matter what the results will be while he is President. I truly believe his heart is in the right place and that's good enough for me.

His heart?

I'm coming to grips with the fact that some people like some other people deeply and without condition, and while I don't share that, it's not something we need to hold against each other. We can discuss why we feel the way we do from a position of mutual respect.

I agree, but it can be very, very diffcult.

It's like having a discussion about Steph Curry's defense and Steph's Mom pops in and says she loves her son no matter what and that's that.

It's like where do you go from there, exactly, from a discussion point of view you know?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Right. So basically you just said what most of us are saying. Not a new or novel plan, it's all going to come down to whether they are better equipped to make it so.

So in this Kupchakian Utopia, Mitch/Jim were going to trade DLO/Moz to the Nets this off season like Magic/Rob did?

Since the plan is so obvoius right?

I doubt it. I also doubt they would have been able to even get a meeting with KCP, much less sign him. I wouldn't have put it past Mitch to botch the Ball draft pick either, despite it being obvious.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:

I don't actually think Magic is a doofus, I just think he plays one on tv sometimes. He doesn't articulate the game beyond platitudes very well. I think he's more comfortable selling himself and the brand. He's a salesman. A lot of people find this off-putting. Sometimes I do too, but I think we have struggled in substantial part because we didn't have a salesman. The face of the last regime was Mitch Kupchak who was an incredibly smart guy but was obsessed with secrecy and a hall monitor-like adherence to the rulebook. Not to mention the personality of a dead moth. Those qualities didn't always serve the team well. We all would laugh at his interviews because he never said anything but I don't think it's prudent to be that way when youre the public face of a franchise. Jim came off terribly in the handful of interviews he did, but mostly shut out the press completely. Those two guys recruiting (not to mention the indefensible adherance to tampering rules that nobody else follows) left a lot to be desired. I'm interested to see how Magic does with a giant satchel of money to spend next Summer. At the very least I know we will spend the next year cozying up to these guys and not waiting until 12:01 to make our intentions known.

So long story short I'd probably like my FO to talk and promote more than the last one and maybe less than this one. I'm willing to accept that even though it may not be my taste, Magic might have a way of communicating that is effective to modern players. Time will tell.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I don't get this part. Aside from trading away Mozgov's contract (at a steep price, like it or not), what has he accomplished that Jim didn't in 4 years? If you mean with regard to PR, I will totally agree with you. On the court, there's really no there there yet (and I am totally onboard that they may have the there lined up). Lonzo? Mitch and Jim take him, no doubt. Kuzma? Jesse was the guy on him and was the lead scout under Mitch. So essentially they traded DLo for Hart and Bryant in return for dumping Mozgov. That's not huge value in the short term even if you like the longer play.

Disagree...but it's not a big deal.

Not sure we get the 27th pick or 28th pick or flip the 28 into 2 additional picks and there's no way to prove whether anything that happened this offseason would have been the same under Jim and Mitch.

What we can compare are the 2016 and 2017 offseasons because both were free of Kobe...and when we look at them they are night and day imo.

But like I said...it's no big deal. #respect

BTW...I have to ask...what's your greatest rap song of all-time?

Mine is My Melody...Rakim

Take 7 MCs put em in a line

Take 7 mo brothas that think they can rhyme

It'll take 7 mo brothas before I go for mine

Now that's 21 MCs ate up at the same time

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
ocho wrote:

I don't actually think Magic is a doofus, I just think he plays one on tv sometimes. He doesn't articulate the game beyond platitudes very well. I think he's more comfortable selling himself and the brand. He's a salesman. A lot of people find this off-putting. Sometimes I do too, but I think we have struggled in substantial part because we didn't have a salesman. The face of the last regime was Mitch Kupchak who was an incredibly smart guy but was obsessed with secrecy and a hall monitor-like adherence to the rulebook. Not to mention the personality of a dead moth. Those qualities didn't always serve the team well. We all would laugh at his interviews because he never said anything but I don't think it's prudent to be that way when youre the public face of a franchise. Jim came off terribly in the handful of interviews he did, but mostly shut out the press completely. Those two guys recruiting (not to mention the indefensible adherance to tampering rules that nobody else follows) left a lot to be desired. I'm interested to see how Magic does with a giant satchel of money to spend next Summer. At the very least I know we will spend the next year cozying up to these guys and not waiting until 12:01 to make our intentions known.

So long story short I'd probably like my FO to talk and promote more than the last one and maybe less than this one. I'm willing to accept that even though it may not be my taste, Magic might have a way of communicating that is effective to modern players. Time will tell.

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Not sure we get the 27th pick or 28th pick or flip the 28 into 2 additional picks and there's no way to prove whether anything that happened this offseason would have been the same under Jim and Mitch.

What we can compare are the 2016 and 2017 offseasons because both were free of Kobe...and when we look at them they are night and day imo.

I'm a fight the power guy...
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

So in this Kupchakian Utopia, Mitch/Jim were going to trade DLO/Moz to the Nets this off season like Magic/Rob did?

I doubt it. I also doubt they would have been able to even get a meeting with KCP, much less sign him. I wouldn't have put it past Mitch to botch the Ball draft pick either, despite it being obvious.

Yeah I highly doubt Jim and Mitch could have signed KCP. They would not have been as patient and probably would have given Kelly Olynk 4 years/$80 million
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Great taste fellas..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah I highly doubt Jim and Mitch could have signed KCP. They would not have been as patient and probably would have given Kelly Olynk 4 years/$80 million

They wouldn't be able to preserve cap space either. Rich Paul doesn't call them. No KCP... and so on. No PG saying he wants to come play here. No rumblings of Lebron.

This new wave of momentum coming our way is Magic's doing.
And my guess is that he already has a FA in the bag, hence the overconfidence which is worrisome to some fans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
....Kuzma? Jesse was the guy on him and was the lead scout under Mitch. So essentially they traded DLo for Hart and Bryant in return for dumping Mozgov. That's not huge value in the short term even if you like the longer play.

If the context is short term, I don't understand excluding Lopez from the value proposition. To me in the short run they either got better or came up a wash with Lopez for Russell, especially since Lonzo would be taking the ball out of Russell's hands some. Long run is more of a calculated risk. Russell was the bird in hand. He could be a star and they opted for a shot at free agency. I don't subscribe in the notion the how things turn out in free agency next year determines if you made the right choice. Don't have that input when making the decision and the outcome in this case is too far away to assign direct cause.

I think you're right that they paid a premium/overpaid but I also think we got a lot back.

I accept the idea that Kuzma is probably there at #28 so that he was taken #27 is sort of aside from evaluating the quality of decision making in the Russell deal. But I do give Maginka a lot of credit for listening to their scouts same as I did for Mitch.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Cover to cover one of my favorite albums...still have it in my ride to this day.

Burn Hollywood Burn. Pollywannacracker. Fight The Power...Brothas Gonna Work It Out...911 is a Joke...and my favorite...Brotha's Gonna Work It Out.

Alright let's go off topic...I heard Marcellus giving a horrible top 5 rap songs all time here's my top 5...what's yours?

1. My Melody Rakim
2. Brotha's Gonna Work It Out PE (Could Easily Be Fight The Power)
3. Machine Gun Funk Biggie
4. T.R.O.Y - CL & Pete Rock
5. Damn...this is tough...gotta choose between Tribe's Electric Relaxation, Bonita Applebum, Award Tour, Suckaniggas, Scenario or NWA Boyz N The Hood or Dre or Cube...Damn...gotta go positive and Tribe Electric Relaxation

#BannersOverBillboards
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

It's amazing how the off-season feels longer and longer with each passing year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

We did need that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Mitch negotiated the Lou trade, including the pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They wouldn't be able to preserve cap space either. Rich Paul doesn't call them. No KCP... and so on. No PG saying he wants to come play here. No rumblings of Lebron.

This new wave of momentum coming our way is Magic's doing.
And my guess is that he already has a FA in the bag, hence the overconfidence which is worrisome to some fans.

Only PG did say he wanted to come here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: