Magic's participation at summer league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Right. So basically you just said what most of us are saying. Not a new or novel plan, it's all going to come down to whether they are better equipped to make it so.

So in this Kupchakian Utopia, Mitch/Jim were going to trade DLO/Moz to the Nets this off season like Magic/Rob did?

Since the plan is so obvoius right?

I doubt it. I also doubt they would have been able to even get a meeting with KCP, much less sign him. I wouldn't have put it past Mitch to botch the Ball draft pick either, despite it being obvious.

Yeah I highly doubt Jim and Mitch could have signed KCP. They would not have been as patient and probably would have given Kelly Olynk 4 years/$80 million

Why is that doubtful? First, it was quite obvious that we needed another guard. Second, they acquired Deng who at the time was considered a decent 2-way player with a high character than can help build a culture with the team. Now they may have offered him more money, but I don't see why they wouldn't have acquired KCP when the reasons this FO went after KCP had similarities to why Jim/Mitch went after Deng (defense, shooting, culture).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Right. So basically you just said what most of us are saying. Not a new or novel plan, it's all going to come down to whether they are better equipped to make it so.

So in this Kupchakian Utopia, Mitch/Jim were going to trade DLO/Moz to the Nets this off season like Magic/Rob did?

I doubt it. I also doubt they would have been able to even get a meeting with KCP, much less sign him. I wouldn't have put it past Mitch to botch the Ball draft pick either, despite it being obvious.

You wanna just throw straw men and hype and hypocrisy, or you wanna actually discuss this intellectually honestly. I'm ok with either, but a whole lot less effort on my part with the current strategy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah I highly doubt Jim and Mitch could have signed KCP. They would not have been as patient and probably would have given Kelly Olynk 4 years/$80 million

They wouldn't be able to preserve cap space either. Rich Paul doesn't call them. No KCP... and so on. No PG saying he wants to come play here. No rumblings of Lebron.

This new wave of momentum coming our way is Magic's doing.
And my guess is that he already has a FA in the bag, hence the overconfidence which is worrisome to some fans.

Only PG did say he wanted to come here.

Read it again.
hellsling
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

KCP signing to the Lakers was the most logical move for both parties. Where else was KCP supposed to sign after his agent stupidly rejected the $80 million dollar contract from the Pistons? The market dried up and the only team left with the most money to offer and a starting position was the Lakers. Plus, Magic was initially trying to get George Hill to accept a one year contract! Great signing, but it is still a one year rental. KCP is leaving for the team that offers him the biggest contract next season
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

hellsling wrote:
KCP signing to the Lakers was the most logical move for both parties. Where else was KCP supposed to sign after his agent stupidly rejected the $80 million dollar contract from the Pistons? The market dried up and the only team left with the most money to offer and a starting position was the Lakers. Plus, Magic was initially trying to get George Hill to accept a one year contract! Great signing, but it is still a one year rental. KCP is leaving for the team that offers him the biggest contract next season

Yep. There was a report that we were the only team offering the sort of money that he wanted. None of us really know what was going on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure whether we really had any serious competition.

Of course, there is a chance that KCP will blossom into a bona fide star and that we will have the inside advantage on re-signing him because we're the incumbent. We might also reap the benefits of having KCP in a contract year.
lak_repeat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I would assume a president and GM would be at all of the SPL games. They play a big part in deciding who gets a camp invite and what not so seeing the games in person should be a given.

I have went to many many Laker SPL games in Vegas. Mitch would come to most, Jimmy would come to some.

Magic was more front and center and was there more than Jimmy woudl have been in the past.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Magic was letting everyone know that this is his reign now, he is the face of FO. That godfather sign to bench ingram
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
hellsling wrote:

Yep. There was a report that we were the only team offering the sort of money that he wanted. None of us really know what was going on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure whether we really had any serious competition.

Of course, there is a chance that KCP will blossom into a bona fide star and that we will have the inside advantage on re-signing him because we're the incumbent. We might also reap the benefits of having KCP in a contract year.

Both Magic and Pelinka mentioned that Rich Paul was the one who contacted them first. After that, they did their due diligence and saw how perfect a fit KCP was next to Lonzo. Does Rich Paul make that call without Magic at the helm? Who knows? However, it looks like KCP kind of fell into the Lakers laps.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Magic is doing wonderfully here.

He doesn't win at everything (see Magic Hour, The) but this certainly is deep in his wheelhouse. Things are looking up for sure.

I love to see him actively involved with the team again, not just a figurehead shareholder.

My idol on the court looks to be taking like a duck to water in the front office.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

lak_repeat wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
I would assume a president and GM would be at all of the SPL games. They play a big part in deciding who gets a camp invite and what not so seeing the games in person should be a given.

I have went to many many Laker SPL games in Vegas. Mitch would come to most, Jimmy would come to some.

Magic was more front and center and was there more than Jimmy woudl have been in the past.

Well I'm sure Jimmy had to spend some time catching up with his friends at the bunny ranch.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
55 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

They wouldn't be able to preserve cap space either. Rich Paul doesn't call them. No KCP... and so on. No PG saying he wants to come play here. No rumblings of Lebron.

And my guess is that he already has a FA in the bag, hence the overconfidence which is worrisome to some fans.

Only PG did say he wanted to come here.

Read it again.

I don't need to, George said he wanted to come here when Mitch and Jim were in the FO.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Absolutely correct. Rich Paul would have never called Mitch about KCP.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What they are doing is working.

The only thing I am worried about is if Magic is putting too much pressure on Balls, by saying that he should have his jersey hanging from the rafters one day, and asking the kid to leave a few of his old records unbroken.

Magic sure is putting a lot of Lonzo's shoulders.
BleedPurpleGold
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Username wrote:
The whole argument of "Magic and Rob are just copying Jim and Mitch's plan" is so tired it isn't even funny.

That's like saying - hey, I make pasta, and Bobby Flay makes pasta too, so we're both doing the exact same thing. No, mine tastes like something out of a box and his is served at 5-star restaurants around the world.

The plan isn't unique. It's a plan many teams around the league are trying to accomplish. What's unique is the execution and if you don't believe Magic and Rob are better equipped to reel in a "big fish" than Jim and Mitch were, I don't know what to tell you.

Omar, I can't argue with the basic elements of your response. Nothing you can know that isn't known. Nothing you can see that isn't shown (tip of the hat to Liverpool).

All new plans are just re-packaged old plans. And I agree the ability to execute is the key. Obviously.

I think the difference now is, what is giving some fans more hope even the ones who respected Mitch and Jim, is there was fire with all that smoke between Jim and Jeanie. And that fire has been doused.

Pick whatever side you chose, but there was something ugly between Jim and Jeanie and it wasn't good at all. There was a divide. A lack of synergy between the two leaders of this proud organization The fact Jeanie wasn't in the loop on the CP3 trade before she walked into that owner's meeting is awful and baffling. She could have soothed the room had she known what was going on. But she was blindsided. And in no position to work the room.

That lack of synergy and mistrust (and an unkept promise) led to the demise of Jim - and as collateral damage Mitch. And I don't think, I know, that chasm, was well known around the NBA and played a role/factor in how people looked at the Lakers.

Jim and Mitch were replaced by Magic and a forward-thinking, well-connected, contemporary type general manager in RP. And while both, I believe, represent an upgrade from a forward thinking and respected, clout factor, even more important is there is now synergy and communication between all the pertinent leaders and a leader in Magic who, in spite of what some people want to read into his exuberant personality personifies and team-first, all-inclusive approach most successful operations thrive on.

I guess what I am saying is, yes, the plan is essentially the same. But there are different dynamics involved as well
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13
Jump to: