Rank our Assets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 3 - Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Yo I know this is four pages back but B R U H

Definitely some emotion behind this one lol but I'm sure we are all guilty of that at times. Well at least he likes Lonzo?

Jesus Christ, guys. Ingram sucked for an entire year, while sucking a bit less toward the end of the year, and had one kickass Summer League game. It isn't emotion.

So he didn't suck for the entire year, got it.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Both Ingram and Lonzo are going to have a lot of bad games this year. It's really more about where they will be in a couple years (and after that). Both could be great.

I think Ingram's physical gifts along with his humility and work ethic will take him to All-Star level if he doesn't get hurt.

As far as him ISO-ing in SL, it was pretty clear to me he was given the go-ahead to play like that. He definitely can pass and be unselfish if that is what he is asked to do. He's a very smart player.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Shouldn't we see Kuzma in an NBA game before placing him on the same tier as Ingram, and above Randle and Nance?

Speaking as a HUGE Kuzma fan btw on board since day 1. But still. Lonzo is one thing, he looked transcendent and the part of his game I was most uncertain about seems to translate. But imagine this SL if Kuzma's shot was off. His form looks good, but maybe he just had a hot stretch... Seriously? On par with Ingram as a prospect?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

Let it go guys.. Only thing that changes minds is actual on court production. Same way ball shut the mouth of 50% of his haters with his clear demonstration of elite play. And that still wasn't enough for some lol..

I just take solace in the fact that our front office knows where our value is, and acted accordingly.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Definitely some emotion behind this one lol but I'm sure we are all guilty of that at times. Well at least he likes Lonzo?

Jesus Christ, guys. Ingram sucked for an entire year, while sucking a bit less toward the end of the year, and had one kickass Summer League game. It isn't emotion.

Its not that you have doubts. I have doubts about Ingram too. Its that you have to go all the way down to tier 4 to find him lol. I mean that's a bit much don't you think? I know you're a stat guy and the stats say hes terrible but you've got to feel on some level that hes better than tier 4?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Kuzma hasn't even had the opportunity to suck in the NBA yet!!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Shouldn't we see Kuzma in an NBA game before placing him on the same tier as Ingram, and above Randle and Nance?

Speaking as a HUGE Kuzma fan btw on board since day 1. But still. Lonzo is one thing, he looked transcendent and the part of his game I was most uncertain about seems to translate. But imagine this SL if Kuzma's shot was off. His form looks good, but maybe he just had a hot stretch... Seriously? On par with Ingram as a prospect?

Why would Kuzma's shot not translate? I don't expect him to shoot 48% or whatever, but he doesn't have to. The impact of just 37% for a 4, who can also run and defend, is huge.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Tier 1 #1 - this is the thing about Lonzo. Ingram pound for pound is the better player and yet Lonzo is more untouchable because what he does is so incredibly rare.

Tier 1 #2 - Ingram the best two way young player on the team no doubt, but still only the second most valuable.

Tier 2 - KCP some might disagree but if you told me the Lakers could only keep one of KCP, Randle, and Clarkson next off season, KCP is the first choice at this moment because he will be ideal next to Lonzo.

Tier 3 - Kuzma when it comes to potential and contract he is the fourth biggest upside guy going forward on this team.

Tier 3 - Randle it sounds like it's the year the front office believes he'll put it together. He really needs to impress this year because the Lakers have two great cheaper options behind him.

Tier 3 Lopez while not a long term option his skill is legitimate.

Tier 4 - Nance minor injury prone in his career likely means he's always going to be best as an elite 6th man. Upside still could be Horry like if he got an outside shot.

Tier 5 Bryant is the best of the young 5 options I really like what Brany brings. Great motor and an outside shot.

Tier 5 Clarkson he is gone because he never learned how to use his athletic ability in order to play great defense but still a solid poor man monta Ellis

Tier 5 Hart. Effort and solid all around. Still need to see more to believe he has upside beyond a bench role long term.

Tier 6 Zubac I hate to say it no one will miss DLO more than Zubac. He was solid on the pick and role but can't play a free flowing game. Deng Nance and Zubac to the Bulls for wade would be my offer if I was Rob Pelinka to get out from that contract of Deng.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

If we had prime Jordan and Kobe, with Magic I suspect we'd still be debating about who's better. Rather than just appreciating the fact that we're fortunate enough to have them all on the same squad.

Only thing can prove our positions/opinions is time. Time will tell us who was right or wrong. I suppose it's fun to speculate though.

Anytime an individual player shatters expectations that were derived from stats, he is referred to as an outlier. And this is the problem with using stats to project. They are merely a snapshot of Now.. Not a window into the future.

Some balked at the idea of Porzing, being better than Russel.. based on what? Stats right? And how did the league perceive their value when they both were made available? The same league that has access to advance stats.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

But he's a natural fit with Lonzo. Brandon...Not so much. He could very well develop nice chemistry with him, but if you were to make a list of traits you'd want in a Lonzo Ball teammate you wouldn't be describing Brandon Ingram.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Funny thread..
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

I understand where you're coming from on Ingram. One good game in the Summer League isn't enough to declare him a star. You also make a good point about the fit issue, given that he holds the ball a lot.

But Kuzma? I would need more than a good run in the Summer League to rank him that high.

I said this in another thread and most seem to disagree. I also think he has a tendency to hold the ball.
I didn't get this impression of him at all in his rookie year. He's starting to develop some go-to scorer ability so that's definitely something that he's going to have to balance. He did stop the ball in the first SL game, but he was looking to dominate, and the Lonzo Effect had yet to take hold over the team's style.

But I certainly wouldn't place Ingram in the "Ball stopper" category. He's an unselfish player that passes well and makes quick decisions. As long as the spot up shooting comes around, Ingram will be a seamless fit with Lonzo.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

I understand where you're coming from on Ingram. One good game in the Summer League isn't enough to declare him a star. You also make a good point about the fit issue, given that he holds the ball a lot.

But Kuzma? I would need more than a good run in the Summer League to rank him that high.

I said this in another thread and most seem to disagree. I also think he has a tendency to hold the ball.
I didn't get this impression of him at all in his rookie year. He's starting to develop some go-to scorer ability so that's definitely something that he's going to have to balance. He did stop the ball in the first SL game, but he was looking to dominate, and the Lonzo Effect had yet to take hold over the team's style.

But I certainly wouldn't place Ingram in the "Ball stopper" category. He's an unselfish player that passes well and makes quick decisions. As long as the spot up shooting comes around, Ingram will be a seamless fit with Lonzo.

He doesn't strike me as selfish but a little iso centric. That's to be expected coming out of college where he was the man. I think he will adapt eventually.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GT was definitely very high on Lonzo (although he had Russell ranked higher in hypotheticals). I can vouch.

I was not here until this year. So if GT thought that guy is higher, he must have believed he was a franchise player until Magic ship him out. Because if that's not the case then he was not high on him like he's now.

Lonzo, with as unusual as his game is, was an unknown quantity with a sky-high ceiling but also a low floor. Russell's already been in the league for a couple of years and is well on his way to All-Star caliber production. Fultz is exceptional in a mold that's similar to several of the best guards in the league. I'll take the sure things over the uncertainty.

But after seeing Lonzo in a (close to) NBA setting, he's #1 and it's not even close. He's much closer to the sky-high ceiling that I envisioned he'd be, because the unusual components of his game translate. This is also an example of how no...I won't simply find a way to downplay Ingram no matter what.

I take that you're very knowledgeable and you contribute a lot here base on your work and I appreciate all your time and effort. I'll just found it odd that that you prefer metrics and analytics yet you have Fultz on top of your board when Lonzo pretty much have all that advance metrics. So it must be the eye test right? Regarding uncertainties and sure things, in the word of Dr Buss. You can't win big when you don't risk big.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

You're much smarter then me about anything basketball and you're a good guy but you're hilariously wrong about Ingram and I'm gonna be here to remind you every step of the way during Ingram's journey to superstardom.
there should be some sort of bet in place. If Ingram breaks out, someone photoshop a picture of Ingram in a chef's outfit serving a plate of crow, and GT has to make it his avatar.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

But he's a natural fit with Lonzo. Brandon...Not so much. He could very well develop nice chemistry with him, but if you were to make a list of traits you'd want in a Lonzo Ball teammate you wouldn't be describing Brandon Ingram.

You maybe right but if Vander Blue can quickly adjust then I expect Ingram to do the same. When Ingram physically mature, he will physically impose his will in the playoff when the game is more of a halfcourt: I don't expect Lonzo to be that player just like I don't expect Ingram to have the same impact as Lonzo. This why these 2 players must be untouchable like Eliot Ness.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Ingram has a good passing instinct and a willing passer. I'm not concern on how he fits with Lonzo.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

I'm don't agree with this. You wouldn't describe last years Ingram, sure.

But 6'9 small forward who can shoot from the three and finish in the paint, who's fast enough to run the court with Lonzo, athletic enough to throw down his passes and has shown good/decent court vision?

I think that's a perfect fit next to Lonzo.

Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram are going to be seen as the future after this season and everyone around them will trade able imo. Although, I have hope for Randle still..

Last edited by Villain6Activated on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Ingram
Ball
Kuz
ETC..

Ingram was clearly the best player on the floor when he played with Ball and Kuz, and he would have continued to be had played more.

Those that aren't high on Ingram will continue to find reasons not to be.

You got it backward. Those who are high on Ingram will continue to find reasons to be no matter what. An entire season of fawning over the kid when all objective measures had him as God-awful, but I'm supposed to change my mind about him after ONE Summer League game? Sheesh.
Here's the thing though. His cumulative averages were weak. But he was playing at a high level relative to age in the final months of the season. He kept getting better and better, and by the end, he was actually quite good relative to his age/level of development. The FT shooting still sucked, but it seems that he's now fixed that problem in a very short amount of time.

If Ingram was still stinking it up at the end of the season, you'd have a point about people ignoring his play on the court. But that's simply not the case. There is a strong statistical foundation on which to build an argument in favor of Ingram's upside.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

But 6'9 small forward who can shoot from the three and finish in the paint, who's fast enough to run the court with Lonzo, athletic enough to throw down his passes and has shown good/decent court vision?

Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram are going to be seen as the future after this season and everyone around them will trade able imo. Although, I have hope for Randle still..

We don't know if he can shoot threes. In the one SPL game he played there was no evidence of it, and his shooting there actually regressed after the ASB.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

We don't know if he can shoot three. In the one SPL game he played there was no evidence of it.

even without the three, he is a 6'9 small forward that is fast and athletic enough to run with Lonzo and he's shown the ability to finish in the paint, he's shown the ability to be a secondary play maker.

I honestly don't know a better under 21 fit for Lonzo. Ingram and Lonzo compliment each other a lot unless they both bust and neither ends up being able to shoot, which is still a valid concern
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
GT was absolutely on board with Lonzo the whole way. Stop that nonsense.

Thing with metrics is that it does well with players that have a more finished product... that are more polished. Statistics are analysis of the past which, if the variables remain relatively consistent, can help predict future performance. But the error margin is huge, to the point of making the statistics irrelevant, if the variables change significantly. You're basically looking to get data that fall in a normal bell curve with a reasonable standard deviation.

So metrics almost completely fall apart when you're looking at players that is raw and hasn't settled into a pattern that a model can accurately define. That's where Ingram falls. I saw (and see) all the elements of a star player that just need to get more refined to deliver a final product. Those things started coming together the last 2 months of the previous season and I have little doubt that BI will take a HUGE step this season as well.
The upward trend he displayed to end the season simply can't be ignored. And now we've seen that he's head and shoulders above the SL level of competition, with a revamped stroke at the FT line. He's poised for a breakout season. I honestly think he's going to lead the team in scoring this season (which is what Magic predicted in one of his interviews last week).
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Ingram didn't suck at the end of the year. That's just not accurate.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

it's very refreshing to see active discussions on fresh threads, like the good old days of LG. The official player threads get stale.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
ocho wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Tier 1a - Lonzo Ball
Tier 1b - Nobody
Tier 2 - Nobody
Tier 4 - Everyone else

Brandon has struggled shooting, doesn't have a quick release, likes to massage the ball while he attacks his man, and isn't super athletic. None of this mean he can't be an effective player. The question is whether he's an ideal fit next to Lonzo. He's not a speedster. I think Lonzo will make anyone better and Brandon will benefit from him being on the floor, but I do find it interesting we are targeting 2 wings in Free Agency.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: