Who do you like for the back-up Point Guard role?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

^^^
Yeah - I agree: that's what they seem to look for
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

1.Udrih is the smart pick for backup.
2. Deron is great for mentoring and teaching pnr for lonzo.
3. Ennis played well and deserves a shot.
4. Lawson is a wild card and don't if he's healthy (physical n emotional), but lonzo could learn a lot, especially his dribble penetration which used to drive the warriors crazy when he was with the Nuggets.

Farmar I like but too old and a hamstring injury waiting to happen.
Clark is not a PG.
Burke don't know too much about him.
No to everyone else.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

I'd bite down and put Clarkson at backup PG and sign Arron Afflalo as backup 2 or Ian Clark.

JC can play scoring PG off the bench, it was where he was most effective last year. Starting PG no, scoring PG off the bench 6th man? Yes.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I'd bite down and put Clarkson at backup PG and sign Arron Afflalo as backup 2 or Ian Clark.

JC can play scoring PG off the bench, it was where he was most effective last year. Starting PG no, scoring PG off the bench 6th man? Yes.

Possibly.

For JC, this is his chance to learn how to play like a 2-way player. Learn from KCP and become a complete player. If he wants to stay in LA, he has to.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

For JC, this is his chance to learn how to play like a 2-way player. Learn from KCP and become a complete player. If he wants to stay in LA, he has to.

It would likely be a 1 year stay regardless.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
1.Udrih is the smart pick for backup.
2. Deron is great for mentoring and teaching pnr for lonzo.
3. Ennis played well and deserves a shot.
4. Lawson is a wild card and don't if he's healthy (physical n emotional), but lonzo could learn a lot, especially his dribble penetration which used to drive the warriors crazy when he was with the Nuggets.

Farmar I like but too old and a hamstring injury waiting to happen.
Clark is not a PG.
Burke don't know too much about him.
No to everyone else.

Like you say Ennis played well and he deserves a shot. He also knows what Walton wants to do, and I liked how the team played when he was on the floor.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

Not sure why he needs to go if he improves his defense. You would have an Avery Bradley type player for $12 mil a year. Whether he starts or is six man, that is valuable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

Not sure why he needs to go if he improves his defense. You would have an Avery Bradley type player for $12 mil a year. Whether he starts or is six man, that is valuable.

Don't want to harp on it, but in order to have enough cap space for 2 max deals, he and Deng are the likely cap casualties. See my sig for the # breakdowns.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

this is quite the conundrum for backup PG...

I think I'm with MJST in wanting Clarkson play scoring PG off the bench and sign Ian Clark for the backup 2 guard spot. Clark could also fill in for KCP when needed too.

It would give the bench unit a diff style of play and a nice change of pace.

I loved how our '08-'09 team had two diff styles of play with the starting and bench units
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

According to ESPN Lawson has not yet signed with the Chinese team. I would rather have him or Udrih then any of the other point guards available to sign. I do not want Williams or Rose as Roget are done. Neither are team players. Both have had conflicts with coaches.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Lawson or Deron Williams? Geez... I'm think'in we need ourselves some White Chocolate, he may be 41 but I bet he's better than Deron at this point...

btw, Gary Payton Sr is screwing around with this BIG3 league. Bring him in to work with Lonzo, Hart and Ingram, my god, the guy is a walking gold mine of information. Even if it's just to consult a few times, he may give one of our guys just one thing that will help elevate their games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's 2017 and we're still talking about Farmar?

That is how crappy this offseason is for cheap vet FA guards.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
They said they wanted a veteran PG. Sounds like it's going to be Deron Williams.

If we want a vet PG yeah.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

I know some don't consider him a PG, but Clark is the best player of all the remaining available options. Magic wants a vet, but Ball doesn't need one. Just take the best player available. Which is Ian Clark.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I'd be on board with this..
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

Don't want to harp on it, but in order to have enough cap space for 2 max deals, he and Deng are the likely cap casualties. See my sig for the # breakdowns.

I don't think we should be dead set on needing 2 max deals. PG or Westbrook I understand since KCP is a one year deal, but if we are expecting 2 max deals, it means we don't believe and won't allow any of our forwards to become star players. That I'm not on board with.

Avery Bradley is the #6 free agent for possible fit and top 10 overall in the 2018 class.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

I don't think we should be dead set on needing 2 max deals. PG or Westbrook I understand since KCP is a one year deal, but if we are expecting 2 max deals, it means we don't believe and won't allow any of our forwards to become star players. That I'm not on board with.

Avery Bradley is the #6 free agent for possible fit and top 10 overall in the 2018 class.

Not my plan but Magic/Pelinka's.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

I say sign Magic to a one year deal

but seriously, I would say Jennings.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Lawson or Deron Williams? Geez... I'm think'in we need ourselves some White Chocolate, he may be 41 but I bet he's better than Deron at this point...

btw, Gary Payton Sr is screwing around with this BIG3 league. Bring him in to work with Lonzo, Hart and Ingram, my god, the guy is a walking gold mine of information. Even if it's just to consult a few times, he may give one of our guys just one thing that will help elevate their games.

At Payton's age he's better off coming over as a special assistant than a backup player. Wont happen though from the animosity I assume he still has for the Lakers with how they treated him.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Go back and look at the stats... in the same way some of you extrapolated Ennis's transcendence from one week of play during the season's garbage time... you've done the same with DWill from his finals fail. He shot 41% from three... 48% from midrange and produced more assists than any of our kids last season. I agree he's on his last legs but still he's better than any of the journeymen trash that I keep seeing on here.

Unless someone has inside information or a citation that he's physically unfit to play... I think he's the best veteran option.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Possibly.

Not my plan but Magic/Pelinka's.

They would trade other player(s) if he improves
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Just wondering, was the Calderon "Veteran Mentor" thing last year considered successful?

He seemed to be hurt all the time and I don't know if DLo actually learned anything since the new FO wasn't very happy with his performance and attitude.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
this is quite the conundrum for backup PG...

I think I'm with MJST in wanting Clarkson play scoring PG off the bench and sign Ian Clark for the backup 2 guard spot. Clark could also fill in for KCP when needed too.

It would give the bench unit a diff style of play and a nice change of pace.

I loved how our '08-'09 team had two diff styles of play with the starting and bench units

That team had Lamar (amongst others)!! IMHO, Exactly the kind of player we should be looking to get
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Just wondering, was the Calderon "Veteran Mentor" thing last year considered successful?

Considering neither the mentor or mentee were wanted back what do you think?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Lawson already signed in China.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: