Who do you like for the back-up Point Guard role?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Lawson or Deron Williams? Geez... I'm think'in we need ourselves some White Chocolate, he may be 41 but I bet he's better than Deron at this point...

btw, Gary Payton Sr is screwing around with this BIG3 league. Bring him in to work with Lonzo, Hart and Ingram, my god, the guy is a walking gold mine of information. Even if it's just to consult a few times, he may give one of our guys just one thing that will help elevate their games.

At Payton's age he's better off coming over as a special assistant than a backup player. Wont happen though from the animosity I assume he still has for the Lakers with how they treated him.

If HVC wasn't joking it's one of the saddest statements about the PG free-agent market I've read.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:

My only concerns with Farmar is do you think it matters that he is kind of a journeyman and hasn't been able to stick in the NBA all these years?

Like I said earlier, all the players being considered at this point are barely in the NBA. If they were the kind of players sticking with one team long term, they'd probably not have to be waiting for a backup job.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Lawson or Deron Williams? Geez... I'm think'in we need ourselves some White Chocolate, he may be 41 but I bet he's better than Deron at this point...

btw, Gary Payton Sr is screwing around with this BIG3 league. Bring him in to work with Lonzo, Hart and Ingram, my god, the guy is a walking gold mine of information. Even if it's just to consult a few times, he may give one of our guys just one thing that will help elevate their games.

Lawson already signed in China.

It was reported he did based off something he tweeted but then Lawson tweeted that he hasn't signed with anyone.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

At Payton's age he's better off coming over as a special assistant than a backup player. Wont happen though from the animosity I assume he still has for the Lakers with how they treated him.

How they treated him? I wouldn't want the guy hired. The bum refused to report for his physical with Boston in a timely manner and it eventually forced the terms of the trade to be renegotiated so the Lakers had to accept less. He has no reason for animosity with the Lakers. He got traded. That's part of being a player in the NBA.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
22 wrote:
this is quite the conundrum for backup PG...

I think I'm with MJST in wanting Clarkson play scoring PG off the bench and sign Ian Clark for the backup 2 guard spot. Clark could also fill in for KCP when needed too.

It would give the bench unit a diff style of play and a nice change of pace.

I loved how our '08-'09 team had two diff styles of play with the starting and bench units

That team had Lamar (amongst others)!! IMHO, Exactly the kind of player we should be looking to get

Good luck finding a 2017 Lamar Odom who is unsigned at this point.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
matigol wrote:
Ok, that was a nice running gag with Kendall Marshall nut now let's get back to reality.
We're not tanking anymore!

Slow, unathletic, no offense, no defense - that's why he is not in the NBA

Give me Ennis every day. Kendall has 30 more games under his belt, does this make him a vet compared to Ennis?

Ennis or trade Brewer for a PG.

It's not a running gag. Look at the games in the summer league with Lonzo on the floor and off the floor. The difference in how everyone moved and how the ball moved and the offense flowed was very noticable. We're not gonna be playing Lonzo 48 minutes. That's why we should get someone who can emulate what he is (expectedly) going to do for the first unit, but for the second unit. If we can run the same thing with both teams, we also become more dynamic since everyone knows the style.

If Clarkson, or some of the remaining FAs, runs the point, the second unit could just become another first you-then me, iso offense. Kendall Marshall is the best candidate at emulating what Lonzo does

This again. Granted Marshall is slower, smaller, and doesn't jump. He's left-handed and he thinks/sees the game very similarly to Lonzo. He's the only other guy in years to have such a high assist rate at a very low usage rate. He passes the ball ahead in transition and gets tons of hockey assists. The year he played here he almost single-handedly got Jodie Meeks a $20 million dollar deal just by spoon-feeding him in early offense and semi-transition.

This summer league he averaged 15.5 assists p/40 min. Lonzo was at 11.5
Marshall had the better assist to turnover ratio as well at 3/1.

And as far as mentoring and thinking the game, this was from an OK State newspaper writing about Jawun Evans:

"No one put an arm around Evans quite like point guard Kendall Marshall, a former lottery pick whom Clippers coach Doc Rivers insists is a future head coach. Marshall won’t make the team now that Evans signed, but that didn’t stop him from teaching.

“I remember my first year in the league, how intimidating it was, how new it was, how different it is,” Marshall told The Transcript. “There’s stuff, no matter how much you prepare, you’re still not going to be prepared just because it’s a completely different lifestyle, a completely different brand of basketball. So, I just try to be in his ear, help him out. He’s a tremendous talent.”

Marshall is attempting to show Evans the pro way.

....“That’s your homework now,” Marshall said. “It’s no longer chemistry and all that stuff. Your homework is now, I have to know my teammates. As a point guard, I have to know where to get them the ball. And you learn that from watching them, from watching film. You learn that from playing with them, playing against them. So, that’s all a part of the process, but he’s picking it up quick.”

Marshall's slow as hell and doesn't rebound like Lonzo, but he rewards filling lanes, efficiency, and ball movement exactly the same way Lonzo does.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Ian Clark, Ian Clark, Ian Clark.

This. Clark is underrated.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

I think it will come down to DWill/Ian Clark. Both probably want the full room exception.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

For this season this is the last big decision to be made.

The backup PG must be steady. May even sign two backup PGs for there is only a rookie on the roster.

A player who has a handle. And a reputation for being a great teammate.

Signing Ennis would be good insurance.

Ty Lawson if his off court issues are behind him.
Aaron Brooks or Jordan Farmar if they have anything left in the tank.

A big name PG is not needed. Just a steady player at that position.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

I didn't know there were "consultant" players Did somebody think I was saying to bring Payton... SENIOR in as a backup PG?

though... I bet he could still beat Kendall Marshall in a footrace... Let's do it, Dick Bavetta, Gary Payton Sr. and Kendall Marshall in a footrace, run up the court and back to the finish line, the winner gets the backup PG slot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

I really think we should just sign Ennis. I'd be open to Barbosa also. JC is our backup PG too in case of emergencies.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

I'd like Deron Williams as the back up PG to mentor Ball. Maybe Barbosa too if we have roster space. Caruso can be our last option in case of injury (because Williams will get injured at some point) since we signed him to the 2 way contract.

Separately, Clarkson will likely be traded for cap space. Here's a trade I think can happen.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yamwlynz

Lakers: Trevor Ariza + 2019 2nd Round Pick From Knicks - Expiring contract for 2018 cap space

Rockets: Melo

Knicks: Reggie Jackson + Clarkson - They need PG and they get 2 serviceable players.

Pistons: Ryan Anderson + 2018 2nd Round Pick From Rockets - Reunites Anderson with SVG, the coach he had a lot of success with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: