What if Randle and KCP have breakout seasons?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
This might be a dumb question but.. why are we restricted to staying under the tax threshold? There's something like 9 or 10 teams paying the luxury tax, but wouldn't it be worth it to pay something like $25M-$30M in luxury tax in order to roll with a MONSTER lineup of Ball-George-Ingram-James-Cousins? We can create a dynasty for the next 5+ years potentially.

As of last season, CLE was paying $54M in luxury tax followed by the Clippers who paid $20M in luxury tax. With that kind of a lineup, we're back into title contention IMMEDIATELY and we'd make all that tax loss back with endorsements, revenue, merchandise, etc., anyway. What am I missing?

Lakers aren't entirely handcuffed. For instance Randles cap hold will be 12.5 million. But the Lakers are able to go above that 12.5 even if they are over the cap. So you couldn't sign randle first at let's say 22 mil per then pg3 and Lebron if they want max. But you could do that if you sign randle last

I believe that teams will be offering more than 20 mill per for Randle and KCP....

What do the Lakers profit a year? 50 plus million? Go over that cap and win rings IMO. I think the Laker ownership just might be OK money wise for a few years at the very least....

I think some combo of JC/Randle/Deng is going to happen, that's almost a given. I like Randle but with a chance of Ball-George-Ingram-James-Cousins you go all balls out....

Ball
PG13
Ingram/Kuz
Bron/Nance/KUZ
Cousins/ZU/Nance
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject:

First I am not concerned how much the Lakers spend but how much talent they can acquire within the salary cap structure.

Right now we cannot see clearly so speculation is best if we look at all the possibilities.

If Randle and KCP both breakout and become all star caliber players I think the team would want to keep both long term. Randles cap hold will seem cheap.

We also got to look at how good is the team as presently composed. If Ball turns out to be great, BI plays a near all star level and Randle and KCP breakout we will probably be a really good team. A really good and young team. If the team went to the 2nd round of the playoffs your thinking would be different than if we are out of the playoffs again. If you see the possibility of competing for a championship with the current players you keep them and may figure out a way to get PG13.

If we are out of the playoffs and we can add better players then you make some trades if the market is good. You trade a Lopez or a KCP or a Randle or Clarkson and accumulate additional assets that will compliment your cap spaces and you dump Deng. Randle and KCP if they break out and we still are not a good team will be worth a boatload. Especially Randle who has a low salary this year.

So a lot will depend on how well the team is playing regardless of whether these guy breakout. If the front office things they are the long term answers they will keep them and be able to do it easily. If we are really good we will keep Randle, KCP and Lopez it is as simple as that. Really good being 2nd round of playoffs and a view to grow into championship caliber team.

It should be fun but anyone who thinks that the script is already written needs to be open to the possibilities of what can happen when we can see more clearly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

The question is whether someone like PG13 think KCP/Jules is better than having another max (i.e. LBJ, WB or Boogie) with him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What if Randle and KCP have breakout seasons?

activeverb wrote:
BigEvil wrote:
Just for the sake of conversation...

Let's say that Randle and KCP had near all star years. Add to that Ball and Ingram having significant growth which translates to a winning season.

Come the off season do we:
- sign our two young breakout stars?
- still swing for the fences and shoot for Bron and PG?
- try to sign our two youngsters and maybe one superstar? If so, which?
- is there another palatable scenario?

There won't be enough for everyone.

I see no reason to complicate this:

After this season, Randle and KCP will be in the pool of free agents.

If they are the best free agents we can get, sign them. If can get better free agents, sign them instead.

I don't put any special value on Randle and KCP because they are currently on the team. (Although because we can have a lower cap hold on Randle and resign him with bird rights that might be valuable).

But the CBA puts special value on them because they are currently on the team (more on Randle and less on KCP). Randle's cap hold is much less than we can sign him for.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
This might be a dumb question but.. why are we restricted to staying under the tax threshold? There's something like 9 or 10 teams paying the luxury tax, but wouldn't it be worth it to pay something like $25M-$30M in luxury tax in order to roll with a MONSTER lineup of Ball-George-Ingram-James-Cousins? We can create a dynasty for the next 5+ years potentially.

As of last season, CLE was paying $54M in luxury tax followed by the Clippers who paid $20M in luxury tax. With that kind of a lineup, we're back into title contention IMMEDIATELY and we'd make all that tax loss back with endorsements, revenue, merchandise, etc., anyway. What am I missing?

Lakers aren't entirely handcuffed. For instance Randles cap hold will be 12.5 million. But the Lakers are able to go above that 12.5 even if they are over the cap. So you couldn't sign randle first at let's say 22 mil per then pg3 and Lebron if they want max. But you could do that if you sign randle last

I believe that teams will be offering more than 20 mill per for Randle and KCP....

What do the Lakers profit a year? 50 plus million? Go over that cap and win rings IMO. I think the Laker ownership just might be OK money wise for a few years at the very least....

I think some combo of JC/Randle/Deng is going to happen, that's almost a given. I like Randle but with a chance of Ball-George-Ingram-James-Cousins you go all balls out....

Ball
PG13
Ingram/Kuz
Bron/Nance/KUZ
Cousins/ZU/Nance

At least when it comes to randle, it doesn't matter if he gets offered a max contract. He is a restricted free agent with a 12.5 million dollar cap hold. So long as Clarkson is salary dumped and Deng is stretched (though preferably traded for Deng) the Lakers can match a randle max and still have two maxes. So long as they match after signing the two other free agents which they'll have time to do with a restricted free agent.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

They would have 48 hours to match a RFA deal for Randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Ball
PG13
Ingram/Kuz
Bron/Nance/KUZ
Cousins/ZU/Nance

At least when it comes to randle, it doesn't matter if he gets offered a max contract. He is a restricted free agent with a 12.5 million dollar cap hold. So long as Clarkson is salary dumped and Deng is stretched (though preferably traded for Deng) the Lakers can match a randle max and still have two maxes. So long as they match after signing the two other free agents which they'll have time to do with a restricted free agent.

It's a bit tight.

If LBJ is taking a full 36m max, Jules is likely gone too, unless we trade players like Nance/Hart as well for the cap space.

If we get 2 7-9 year maxes, i.e. PG13/Boogie, they could both take a nominal paycut of 1.5-2m and we would be able to keep Jules and pay him over the cap.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

I struggle to make myself think that we'd see breakout years from both Randle and KCP, let alone to think that that's what lay on the Laker critical path to reaching for success this season. Feels unlikely to happen as a joint accomplishment too, and seems unrelated to the what ails the Lakers most.

Success in the modern game is based initially on good rates for three point shooting (attempts per game, conversions per attempt average). That's not been a strength area for either guy or our entire team. Why should we anticipate that specific type of improvement from them ? OK, we can dream, but perimeter shooting improvement will more likely come from elsewhere.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What if Randle and KCP have breakout seasons?

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BigEvil wrote:
Just for the sake of conversation...

Let's say that Randle and KCP had near all star years. Add to that Ball and Ingram having significant growth which translates to a winning season.

Come the off season do we:
- sign our two young breakout stars?
- still swing for the fences and shoot for Bron and PG?
- try to sign our two youngsters and maybe one superstar? If so, which?
- is there another palatable scenario?

There won't be enough for everyone.

I see no reason to complicate this:

After this season, Randle and KCP will be in the pool of free agents.

If they are the best free agents we can get, sign them. If can get better free agents, sign them instead.

I don't put any special value on Randle and KCP because they are currently on the team. (Although because we can have a lower cap hold on Randle and resign him with bird rights that might be valuable).

But the CBA puts special value on them because they are currently on the team (more on Randle and less on KCP). Randle's cap hold is much less than we can sign him for.

Yes, I said that in my post
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Ball
PG13
Ingram/Kuz
Bron/Nance/KUZ
Cousins/ZU/Nance

It's a bit tight.

If LBJ is taking a full 36m max, Jules is likely gone too, unless we trade players like Nance/Hart as well for the cap space.

If we get 2 7-9 year maxes, i.e. PG13/Boogie, they could both take a nominal paycut of 1.5-2m and we would be able to keep Jules and pay him over the cap.

Cousins is one thing but I can't even consider arguing for Randle or KCP over Lebron.

Lebron at 40 >>>> Randle or KCP as far as NBA impact goes. At 34-38 Lebron is still a top 5-15 NBA player.

Lebron coming to play the 4 for the twilight of his career is the best option for all parties. If I am the Lakers I try and split 80M for Lebron/George/Lopez and I sacrifice whatever assets needed to do it. That trio with Ingram/Ball is a championship squad and better than the warriors in 2019.

Curry > Ball (but this will be interesting in 2019 and beyond)
Klay < PG
Durant > Ingram (but this could start getting close as well)
Draymond < Lebron
Zaza/West < Lopez

the small ball team is a little better for them but this is a 7 game WCF series.

Curry > Ball
Klay < PG
Iggy = Ingram
Durant = Lebron
Draymond > Nance / Kuzma

which makes the playoffs more important. If Lebron sees the team get 40+ wins he starts thinking "add me and PG ; subtract Randle/KCP. That is a championship team easy."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah, the Lakers aren't passing up on LBJ/PG13 for KCP/Jules.

The more interesting option is if we have PG13, and he wants a 2nd max to join him (but LBJ isn't coming).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Ball
PG13
Ingram/Kuz
Bron/Nance/KUZ
Cousins/ZU/Nance

It's a bit tight.

Cousins is one thing but I can't even consider arguing for Randle or KCP over Lebron.

Lebron at 40 >>>> Randle or KCP as far as NBA impact goes. At 34-38 Lebron is still a top 5-15 NBA player.

Lebron coming to play the 4 for the twilight of his career is the best option for all parties. If I am the Lakers I try and split 80M for Lebron/George/Lopez and I sacrifice whatever assets needed to do it. That trio with Ingram/Ball is a championship squad and better than the warriors in 2019.

Curry > Ball (but this will be interesting in 2019 and beyond)
Klay < PG
Durant > Ingram (but this could start getting close as well)
Draymond < Lebron
Zaza/West < Lopez

the small ball team is a little better for them but this is a 7 game WCF series.

Curry > Ball
Klay < PG
Iggy = Ingram
Durant = Lebron
Draymond > Nance / Kuzma

which makes the playoffs more important. If Lebron sees the team get 40+ wins he starts thinking "add me and PG ; subtract Randle/KCP. That is a championship team easy."

If the Lakers have a chance to get LeBron, they're not going to pass up on it. I don't think making the playoffs or win total is really the key factor. It's more about the performance of the guys who are going to stick around. If ball and Ingram play well that's important. If we make the playoffs because Lopez and KCP play well, that's much less important
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:

We could be competed by adding George:
Ball
George, Hart
Ingram, Thomas
Randle, Kuzma
Lopez

Would like to see the following lineup:
Ball, George, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle

Or:
Ball, Thomas, George, Ingram, Kuzma

Don't know how people can stop them
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Then we consider detouring from the 2 max superstar plan and use the capspace to sign players that help fill the gaps.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Then we consider detouring from the 2 max superstar plan and use the capspace to sign players that help fill the gaps.

Sounds good to me. I really don't get why some posters are so opposed to this idea

Whichever way gets us the championship!
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ Yeah, the Lakers aren't passing up on LBJ/PG13 for KCP/Jules.

The more interesting option is if we have PG13, and he wants a 2nd max to join him (but LBJ isn't coming).

I think Bron is the main target, just has to be IMO. But PG13 is one Hell of another near bull's eye if we can land him. No Bron? Then I think the lakers go for PG13 and Cousins.

All the while Ball/BI/ZU/Kuz are growing up as main support cog's now, and next stars after a nice 4 or so year run at the top.... The Lakers sure are looking bright "potentially".......
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

If we go the LeBron/PG-13 route, the championship run would be shorter. Might get 1 ring. If kcp and randle hit, might have a chance at multiple rings.

It took GSW a good 3-4 years to become a powerhouse. With LeBron and pg13 it might shorten it, but you're looking at a 35-36 y.o #23 and 31 y.o #13 with big contracts. You would be praying for no injuries and that LeBron doesn't turn into Karl Malone and PG doesn't fade away like T-Mac.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
If we go the LeBron/PG-13 route, the championship run would be shorter. Might get 1 ring. If kcp and randle hit, might have a chance at multiple rings.

It took GSW a good 3-4 years to become a powerhouse. With LeBron and pg13 it might shorten it, but you're looking at a 35-36 y.o #23 and 31 y.o #13 with big contracts. You would be praying for no injuries and that LeBron doesn't turn into Karl Malone and PG doesn't fade away like T-Mac.

KCP and Jules will likely be role pieces who will command 20m each. Ideally we'd have PG13 and someone like Anthony Davis hit FA at the same time, but that's not happening. The 2nd max options are LBJ, WB, and Boogie. All have their particular warts, but I don't see the Lakers turning down LBJ, age and all.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

If KCP goes off I don't think it matters...he plays the 2 and BI is our 3 and Ball is our 1, PG13 doesn't want to play the 4. I think we let him walk regardless assuming George truly wants to come here, because he will have to pay the 2.

With Randle, interesting year for him...getting in shape, partly because it's his contract year and will be pressured by a Rising Kuzma I think. Under the assumption that Randle becomes an above average shooter from 15+ and learns to play defense and is putting up 18/9 every night the FO will need to make a choice. Under the assumption that PG13 is coming here (I believe he is), can they get a 2nd max guy? Is that Lebron? Boogie? Would you rather have Randle for the next 5 years as he hits his prime or Lebron for 2-4 years as he's exiting his prime? Would the intangibles that Lebron brings to a squad squash Lonzo's ascent to leadership or help him become a leader?

Under the assumption that Randle becomes amazing suddenly, I think the correct move would be to attach him to Deng and get that contract off our of books. If Randle becomes an allstar, then I think Kuzma has just as good of a chance and he apparently can shoot already and play D.
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:

KCP and Jules will likely be role pieces who will command 20m each. Ideally we'd have PG13 and someone like Anthony Davis hit FA at the same time, but that's not happening. The 2nd max options are LBJ, WB, and Boogie. All have their particular warts, but I don't see the Lakers turning down LBJ, age and all.

Well, this is based off the premise that KCP becomes like a PG13 and randle becomes like a Draymond. In that case, we don't need Paul or LeBron. A 35 y.o LeBron would have an impact similar to Draymond. Crazy as it sounds, they would be redundant with this hypothetical outcome.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gr818 wrote:

Well, this is based off the premise that KCP becomes like a PG13 and randle becomes like a Draymond. In that case, we don't need Paul or LeBron. A 35 y.o LeBron would have an impact similar to Draymond. Crazy as it sounds, they would be redundant with this hypothetical outcome.

I don't foresee KCP as that kind of player. He will be a high priced but maybe capped at a high end starter (but not star).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't foresee KCP as that kind of player. He will be a high priced but maybe capped at a high end starter (but not star).

I don't either but this thread is about the hypothetical scenario where he does become that kind of player

And imo it's a very fair and interesting question. Is it a dilemma? Or is it what magic meant in the first place. He never specified who the max was.

Last edited by Chronicle on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't either but this thread is about the hypothetical scenario where he does become that kind of player

So we are saying if KCP and Jules are better than PG13 and LBJ?
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
gr818 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Sounds good to me. I really don't get why some posters are so opposed to this idea

Whichever way gets us the championship!

Yes. As many championships as possible
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So we are saying if KCP and Jules are better than PG13 and LBJ?

Better is relative. If they become good enough to deserve a max contract and show potential to become even better, then there is definitely a dilemma. These players are 22 or younger. They will be able to be high quality players on the lakers for the next decade if not longer!

On the other hand, Lebron would at most have 2 years left. And we know how tough the competition is right now with the Warriors. Could we even get past the warriors in the next 2 years?

IF, and I stress IF, these players show they deserve max contracts, then yes I do say, forego Lebron, and work towards competing for the next decade as opposed to two years
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: