What Magic/Pelinka have done so far is amazing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

rajamatazz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tkLAKERS wrote:
I did not like the Dlo trade because I would have liked to see a Lonzo and Dlo backcourt at least for a year as I believe that would have been something special to see.

However, Kuzma has been a revelation and was clearly the steal of the draft. Lonzo and Kuzma was what I thought Lonzo and Dlo should have been, so I guess what I'm saying is.....the Dlo trade was not premature and I'm going to eat my crow pie now.

Until you realize they didn't need to trade DLO to have Kuzma...

they would have had to do something to obtain another pick to get him, he may or may not have been there at 28... then its a domino effect and we may not have gotten hart or bryant

Agreed. But DLo and (likely) Kuzma to me is >Hart and Bryant in terms of young assets. More than the value of dumping Mozgov, but I get that was the plan and thus they weren't really about extracting value for Dlo so much as assuring two maxes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

So far; so good
gr818
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
gr818 wrote:
Lonzo
PG
LeBron
Ingram
Zubac

If Ingram doesn't hit, that is not a championship team

I have a feeling it ain't going to be Zubac.

Without Randle, all that is left is Zu, Bryant, Nance and Kuzma.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
It's everything.. and give Kuzma some credit. The Warriors might have the Splash Bros, but we now have the Mulatto Bros.

Not fond of that term due to it's connotations with a horrific industry...but let's try to spice it up a bit...

The Mulatto Twoz

The Mulatto Duo

LS Connect

2 Halves = A Whole Lotta Ball

I can go on...

#BannersOverBillboards
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

gr818 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
gr818 wrote:
Lonzo
PG
LeBron
Ingram
Zubac

If Ingram doesn't hit, that is not a championship team

I have a feeling it ain't going to be Zubac.

Without Randle, all that is left is Zu, Bryant, Nance and Kuzma.

I think they'll find someone.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
I agree with your sentiments on what Magic/Pelinka have done up to this point was for the better of the franchise and we have seen the results. I am very pleased with our performance and I am rejuvenated to be a Laker fan!

However, somewhere on these boards D - Lo loyalists lurk and will question the recent success (despite it only being SL), putting us in position to sign 2 max FA, and developing young draft picks. Interestingly, some friends/family of mine who hold D-Lo dear to themselves, who once questioned trading D-Lo, and drafting lonzo have been seen praising Lonzo and the hype LA is building.

It'll be funny when all the people who panicked when D-lo traded will be eating their shorts when Lonzo revitalizes this franchise.

Get out of here with that "DLO loyalist" BS.

If we end up "winning" that trade (and there's a good chance that we do), I should be able to enjoy it without people like you lording over me for my initial unfavorable opinion of the FO.

Also, why is DLO brought up in every damn thread? And it's not the people that liked him doing it either....

/end rant
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:
I agree with your sentiments on what Magic/Pelinka have done up to this point was for the better of the franchise and we have seen the results. I am very pleased with our performance and I am rejuvenated to be a Laker fan!

However, somewhere on these boards D - Lo loyalists lurk and will question the recent success (despite it only being SL), putting us in position to sign 2 max FA, and developing young draft picks. Interestingly, some friends/family of mine who hold D-Lo dear to themselves, who once questioned trading D-Lo, and drafting lonzo have been seen praising Lonzo and the hype LA is building.

It'll be funny when all the people who panicked when D-lo traded will be eating their shorts when Lonzo revitalizes this franchise.

All very good points. The day DLO was traded someone created the thread, "Magic preached patience with our youth, but today, that was thrown out the window." Or something like that. My response is, we have more young people on the team now, than we did at almost any point in our team's history. We are developing young talent. Just not DLO anymore. And I was one of the biggest DLO defenders while he was a Laker, I understand they have a vision, and I'm willing to see what comes from it.

It was pretty hilarious when all of the anti Magic/Rob folks had 'I told ya so' reactions to that deal, thinking the trade somehow proved they were overhauling all of the young talent. But the only one that was traded was Russell lol. You still had BI, Randle, Nance, Zu, and Clarkson, which they added to with Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, and Bryant. The only young player they moved was the one they felt didn't fit long term (Russell). I was also a Russell fan and defended him endlessly the last two years, but I still thought it was the right move. My expectations for him did temper, though. By the second half of the season I no longer believed he'll become a star. A very solid guard, yes, but not necessarily a star. And the behind the scenes stuff didn't make his case for staying any better. Never expected to say this, but I'm actually pretty relieved that he's gone. Lonzo is the one who appears to have superstar upside, and he deserves the opportunity to lead without having the guy who failed at that possibly undermining him.

Overall, the new regime has been pretty fantastic imo. It's been a breath of fresh air since day one.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Agreed. But DLo and (likely) Kuzma to me is >Hart and Bryant in terms of young assets. More than the value of dumping Mozgov, but I get that was the plan and thus they weren't really about extracting value for Dlo so much as assuring two maxes.

So it is Magic and Pelinka's fault that there was scant interest in a player they didn't draft even by teams that needed a lead guard in this years draft lottery?

The value they got on the deal was fine, they got the best player in the deal in return (yes, I know he is a rental ideally) and dumped another Mitch mistake that looked undumpable in the process.

And got Kuzma.

I just don't really see the argument on the other side of this, it seems so blatantly obvious.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

So it is Magic and Pelinka's fault that there was scant interest in a player they didn't draft even by teams that needed a lead guard in this years draft lottery?

The value they got on the deal was fine, they got the best player in the deal in return (yes, I know he is a rental ideally) and dumped another Mitch mistake that looked undumpable in the process.

And got Kuzma.

I just don't really see the argument on the other side of this, it seems so blatantly obvious.

Well, that probably sums it up better than I could.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

The would have selected Hart over Kuzma due to need if they didn't have 2 first rounders...
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I'd put money on the fact that ZO + KCP > ZO + DLO starting backcourt.

And the former won't get abused defensively night in a night out the same way the latter would...

Kuzma is just icing on the cake.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
The would have selected Hart over Kuzma due to need if they didn't have 2 first rounders...

Why? They'd likely have DLo...
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And got Kuzma.

People are saying that they could have waited to trade Mozgov, which in theory yes because after this season he will only have two years left on the deal. My thing is that they gotten the opportunity to trade him away and they did. I see no problem with that since you never know what could happen. The first chance you get, you get rid of the contract.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

In the age of social media the vitriol Magic was getting was unbelieveable. People were acting like D Lo was Lebron or KAT or The Unibrow-yikes. And he dumped Mosgov and flipped the pick into Kuzma, Hart and Bryant. And the radio was talking today about how they both opened the lines of communication with Lebrons agent by sticking to their guns with holding onto salary cap space. Ultimately they will be judged next summer by what type of recruiters they are. But I've been impressed

But hey I really miss "D Lo" LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
In the age of social media the vitriol Magic was getting was unbelieveable. People were acting like D Lo was Lebron or KAT or The Unibrow-yikes. And he dumped Mosgov and flipped the pick into Kuzma, Hart and Bryant. And the radio was talking today about how they both opened the lines of communication with Lebrons agent by sticking to their guns with holding onto salary cap space. Ultimately they will be judged next summer by what type of recruiters they are. But I've been impressed

FWIW, he flipped the 28, which came from HOU for Lou into Hart and Bryant. Had nothing to do with the DLo transaction.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Why? They'd likely have DLo...

Because they were set on drafting a guard if they only had 1 pick in the first round. You draft based on need in the later part of the draft. The PF position was already stacked with Randle and Nance.

Kuzma was drafted because we had the luxury of having 2 picks.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

So many here hitched their wagons to the "DLO is a star" thing despite all obvious evidence against that it has now tainted their judgement.

I don't expect to be right on every player all the time either. But good God, know when to hold em and when to fold em, the guy won't even be a starter in two years most likely.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
rajamatazz wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tkLAKERS wrote:
I did not like the Dlo trade because I would have liked to see a Lonzo and Dlo backcourt at least for a year as I believe that would have been something special to see.

However, Kuzma has been a revelation and was clearly the steal of the draft. Lonzo and Kuzma was what I thought Lonzo and Dlo should have been, so I guess what I'm saying is.....the Dlo trade was not premature and I'm going to eat my crow pie now.

Until you realize they didn't need to trade DLO to have Kuzma...

they would have had to do something to obtain another pick to get him, he may or may not have been there at 28... then its a domino effect and we may not have gotten hart or bryant

No quarantee we draft Kuzma. Maginka could have done the trade to get more picks and hope Kuz is still there at 30. So assuming Kuz will be drafted is making the DLo trade look bad. Ball,Kuz,Lopez,Cap space > DLo,Moz,No space
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I can't agree with this yet. they are doing a good job though.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
It's everything.. and give Kuzma some credit. The Warriors might have the Splash Bros, but we now have the Mulatto Bros.

Not fond of that term due to it's connotations with a horrific industry...but let's try to spice it up a bit...

The Mulatto Twoz

The Mulatto Duo

LS Connect

I can go on...

Technically Klay and Steph are the original light skin connection

pay homage breh
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I think the best thing that Magic/Pelinka have done is stay patient and stick to their plan. Mitch/Jimmy seem to have had a good plan by accumulating young talent and then all of sudden panicked and signed role players in their 30's to giant contracts. I've always wondered what would have happened if Mitch/Jimmy just let the cap space roll over to the next year...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

DanielKetch wrote:
I'd put money on the fact that ZO + KCP > ZO + DLO starting backcourt.

And the former won't get abused defensively night in a night out the same way the latter would...

Kuzma is just icing on the cake.

The problem is that we'll never know.... and, whereas DLO/Zo might have been our backcourt for the next decade, its possible that Zo/KCP may only last a year.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that it would be great for the Zo/KCP combo to work for at least the next year.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

People that disliked D'angelo the most are the ones that always bring him up. This thread is a perfect example. Irony.

I feel like most people have moved on and are on the let's wait and see if this works out.

I think the biggest thing Magic/Pelinka did so far is change the perception of the Lakers. There is a feel of unity. There hasn't been this feeling in a very long time due to a previous clear faction.

Other than that they haven't done much. That's not taking anything away from them. It's more so giving a lot of credit to Lavar for his amazingly funny and I hate to say this Trumpeque marketing tactics (obviously much less serious) as well as Lonzo backing it up with his stellar summer league play.

People are talking about the Lakers mainly because of Lonzo/Lavar.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

The Mulatto Twoz

The Mulatto Duo

LS Connect

I can go on...

Technically Klay and Steph are the original light skin connection

pay homage breh

The Ball/Kuz could be the steroid version, I hope when they hit their prime.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
we definitely have media attention, but I think it's more cause of Lonzo's performance than winning the championship for summer league. But guy's did notice our SL play. KD talking on twitter about Kuz, Wade about Lonzo and his shoes, Lebron same thing. It's publicity.

I think what Lavar has done was build a want to see Lonzo perform, even if your a hater. Brilliant marketing.

What did KD say about Kuz?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: