Worst Kobe article Ive ever read
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Worst Kobe article Ive ever read

Now the Boston bias in the NBA print media means snide shots and blatantly anti-Laker articles are pretty much the norm. But this piece of trash really takes the cake

A full length article trying to pass off a 5 time champion as a caricature/meme. Trying to feature him as the face of an inane inefficiency week when he shot 46% on high volume during his prime.

https://theringer.com/kobe-bryant-kobe-est-shot-inefficiency-week-d1a1987b6da9
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

To add. Scumbag does this after Kobes retired and no longer able to respond on the court

Enjoy it while you can Boston scum, Lonzos coming for you.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Anyone notice where the writer is from?

Shea Serrano

Shea Serrano is a Mexican-American writer, illustrator, and former teacher. He is best known for his work with the sports and pop culture websites, The Ringer and Grantland, as well as his New York ... Wikipedia

Born: San Antonio, TX
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I didn't read it, is it that bad? Because the intro doesn't make it seem bad...

"Over the next five days, we’re going to take a look at what we lose when we get lost in the chase for efficiency."

That doesn't sound bad. It's like saying if Kobe care too much about efficiency like Lebron, we wouldn't have been treated to some of his artistry.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject:

For me as far as worst goes, nothing will ever top Henry Abbott articles about Kobe. As for Shea's piece - he picked some (bleep) examples for the Kobiest of Kobe shots.

Personally, if the editor demanded misses, I would have went with the left handed shots he took when he injured his shoulder in game.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:

so why share it...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
so why share it...
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
so why share it...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
so why share it...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Yes, why link it, but also interesting that this article is current (? is it, I have not clicked it and do not know the publication date), despite Bryant having retired well over a year ago. He is still in people's minds. Do you see people writing about Vin Baker, or Iverson, or McGrady? No, they are still obsessed with Kobe, and rightfully so. He was a tremendous talent, transcendental. He gets in peoples' heads, and though they may hate him, they love to hate him.

Bryant reveled in this. He played the role well. Loved, but also hated. Did he let it affect him? No, it drove him. So the same way we should be, if we are Bryant fans. If we feel the need to defend him, don't. Take a step back, and notice the obsession these people still have with him.

"You say Kobe was inefficient? Excellent, why are you so obsessed with his shooting percentage? Why bother having this conversation then?"

If nothing else, getting Kobe's name on anything will generate clicks. He is that news worthy, even a year after walking away from the game. Who else garners such attention?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

It's actually...good! And actually pretty complimentary.

It's more just a humorous look at a specific aspect of Kobe's game, during Ringer's Inefficiency Week. (and they're not writing that inefficiency is always bad; they're pushing back at efficiency fetishists).

So this is just a fun little look at a guy who sometimes played, yes, inefficiently. But was still an all-time great. And Shea always writes things from a more humorous perspective. I thought it was a fun piece.

I mean, this is just one passage that shows the tone:
Quote:

Ridiculous as the Kings shot was, Kobe really didn’t have a better option. Nobody on the Lakers even bothered to get past half court before the play was basically over. That means Kobe’s hand was forced there, because there was nowhere else for him to go with it. He had to shoot it. It was the best option because it was the only option. (Also, who was he even going to pass it to if that option had been there? The other guys on the court with him at that moment were Robert Sacre, Carlos Boozer, Jeremy Lin, and Nick Young. Give me a contested Kobe 31-footer over a wide open 10-footer from Carlos Boozer literally every time.)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
It's actually...good! And actually pretty complimentary.

It's more just a humorous look at a specific aspect of Kobe's game, during Ringer's Inefficiency Week. (and they're not writing that inefficiency is always bad; they're pushing back at efficiency fetishists).

So this is just a fun little look at a guy who sometimes played, yes, inefficiently. But was still an all-time great. And Shea always writes things from a more humorous perspective. I thought it was a fun piece.

I mean, this is just one passage that shows the tone:
Quote:

Ridiculous as the Kings shot was, Kobe really didn’t have a better option. Nobody on the Lakers even bothered to get past half court before the play was basically over. That means Kobe’s hand was forced there, because there was nowhere else for him to go with it. He had to shoot it. It was the best option because it was the only option. (Also, who was he even going to pass it to if that option had been there? The other guys on the court with him at that moment were Robert Sacre, Carlos Boozer, Jeremy Lin, and Nick Young. Give me a contested Kobe 31-footer over a wide open 10-footer from Carlos Boozer literally every time.)

I went back to read it after your post, and I agree, it is not a bad or accusatory article. Yes, he missed many shots, but it speaks to his drive and endurance that he missed so many yet still made so many.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
so why share it...

Lol yeah. ingle just gave this writer more hits, which is exactly what clickbait sports writers want most in life.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Kobe fans are the most insecure fanbase on Earth
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Ineffecient?

Winning 5 out of 7 finals sounds efficient to me.

Bye.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

Whoever was around 2003-2005 they remember full well that the media treated Kobe worse than anyone else. It was ridiculous. He was the Trump before Trump in a way as far as feuding media. At the time the media was so hostile to Kobe that it was unlike anything I have ever seen...until Trump came along lol.
I guess a lot of Kobe fans still remember that which is why many of us have a bit of an uneasy relationship to the media. Truth to be told though, once they realized they couldnt go against him anymore and that the tide was turning because Kobe was that damn good at the time the media started being friendly to Kobe.
But from 2003 and 2005...it was extremely hostile.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Yes, why link it, but also interesting that this article is current (? is it, I have not clicked it and do not know the publication date), despite Bryant having retired well over a year ago. He is still in people's minds. Do you see people writing about Vin Baker, or Iverson, or McGrady? No, they are still obsessed with Kobe, and rightfully so. He was a tremendous talent, transcendental. He gets in peoples' heads, and though they may hate him, they love to hate him.

Bryant reveled in this. He played the role well. Loved, but also hated. Did he let it affect him? No, it drove him. So the same way we should be, if we are Bryant fans. If we feel the need to defend him, don't. Take a step back, and notice the obsession these people still have with him.

"You say Kobe was inefficient? Excellent, why are you so obsessed with his shooting percentage? Why bother having this conversation then?"

If nothing else, getting Kobe's name on anything will generate clicks. He is that news worthy, even a year after walking away from the game. Who else garners such attention?

Vin Baker! (bleep). I don't think Vin Baker knows who Vin Baker is these days! 😂
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

It's okay everyone. It's an article by a Spurs/Duncan fan. The Spurs play the style of ball we want to play today. It's no secret Kobe didn't always make the right basketball play. There is a reason why he was the greatest "tough shot" maker who has ever lived. You don't get that title unless you are a ISO heavy, volume shooter. Do you guys really miss every play ending with Kobe with the ball to his side, defender with his hand to Kobe's face, his teammates either walking around somewhere or looking like a wax statues at the theee point line with their hands positioned to catch a ball that never came? Yeah. You miss that?

Kobe is still the second best shooting guard in all of history. He will remain there for quite a while. Little Zach Levine isn't going to dunk & three his way past Kobe. Although since the article speaks of inefficiency, dunks & there's are the most efficient way to play in the modern NBA. Depending on who you ask here though, DLO may have already supplanted Jordan for that #1 spot. So in 15 years or so this will read DLO, Jordan, & Kobe. 😂😂😂
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Ineffecient?

Bye.

haha! i love this! yea...screw scoring efficiency. give me championship efficiency. lebron is not efficient 3/8? yuck not even 500
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
To add. Scumbag does this after Kobes retired and no longer able to respond on the court

Enjoy it while you can Boston scum, Lonzos coming for you.

Dude's a Spurs fan from San Antonio. I'm sure he lives in LA these days like the rest of the Ringer family. I hope this hasn't ruined your weekend. 😂

Bostonians are scum though. So you are right there.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Worst Kobe article you've ever read...

Then you proceed to share the article and give the author of the worst Kobe article ever exposure and clicks.

You can't bring tripe in the house, and then complain about the smell.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Worst Kobe article you've ever read...

Then you proceed to share the article and give the author of the worst Kobe article ever exposure and clicks.

You can't bring tripe in the house, and then complain about the smell.

...good one!
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Ineffecient?

Bye.

I think they're referring to his mediocre efficiency as a player and not team success.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
so why share it...
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Kobe fans are the most insecure fanbase on Earth
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: