Does Julius Randle Improve His Main Weaknesses This Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Randle Adequately Improve His Overall Defense and 3pt Shooting Next Season to No Longer Call Those Two Areas Significant Weaknesses?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 68 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 151

Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I voted yes. I think his defense will improve but don't think he will ever be a consistent 3baller

If he can make 15-18 footers consistently he would be a huge threat . Bigs don't like to play up on Randle cause of his blow by ability ... they give him that shot all day. he hits that his game is gonna be at who another level .
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:

Increase rebounding rate (aim for league top 10), play inside more, shoot the occassional three, defend hard and run the break.

av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

It's possible, I think Kuzma is going to really push Randle....Nance is good, but it just seems like his best role is as a very valuable backup PF...so he could only push Randle so much

It's pretty obvious Kuzmas skill set translates really well with what Luke wants to do and what he'd like to have at 4 .....so if Randle can't grow in those ways he's not only deficient, but for how this team is being built are essential, I have no doubt Magic and Rob will move Randle

Last edited by av3773 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

I hope he does but my gut says no.

I think he will "improve" but not sure if so much that he will be an indispensable piece for the future.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

I think Randle will look pretty good, some of that will be to his own doing and some of that is going to be due to Lonzo....even so I think it will be obvious while good Randle may have a lower ceiling for how this team wants to play....but on another team, another system he'd be really good...so ultimately I think Magic and Rob use Randle as part of a trade to dump Deng or some move that allows them to dump some salary and get some future picks
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

I think he does. He will become at 30% 3pt shooter, which would be enough, since most of his minutes will come either next to Lopez or as a small ball center.

And if his conditioning is there he showed flashes of great perimeter defense. I think he will be able to switch on the perimeter with consistency. He will never be a rim protector, but I don't think that is a must anymore if you can switch on the perimeter.

Randle was our best player the first 10 games last year. Believe!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

This guy has the potential to dominate other bigs. It would've been easier for a Randle type to flourish 10 years ago but since the game has opened up beyond the 3 pt line, Randle has to develop his jumper quicker aka now but he def has a chance
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

Yes. He will be a beast!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

I voted yes, but I think that the 3 point shooting will come easier than the defense. However, with Randle's improved conditioning, I'm hoping this translates to better defensive effort because Randle has the tools to be a plus defender.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

I have faith that Jules will improve, but whether that's enough for the team to want to keep him long-term is a separate issue.

With Lopez at the 5 and taking up space but not exactly crashing the glass, we'll need Randle to pull down more than 8.6 boards a night to compensate. Granted, Lonzo's nose for the ball and Ingram's increased confidence and assertiveness may help compensate for Lopez's sub-6 rebound average from last year, but Randle getting to about 9.5-10 boards a game would be nice.

It's unfair that Randle has to prove himself in essentially his 3rd year, since his 1st was robbed by the leg injury. But I think he can and will improve now that he's got a full year in Luke's system.

His assists will go down, but I'm hoping Luke's coaching, Lonzo's running style, and Randle's supposed improved conditioning and fitness will all translate into a 17 and 10 season for him, along with more offensive versatility - both mid-range and long-range, and the ability to go to his right - and a more consistent enthusiasm for defense.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

I think so

Magic has been praising him all season long about his work ethic and playing with Zo will only make it easier for him especially in transition
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

I'm not concerned about the 3 as much as the D, which is typically a desire/commitment thing. If he can't defend a position, there is no place for him on this Lakers team.

I think he will be a better scorer, if for no other reason than Lonzo. It's the opposite side of the ball that matters.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
disappointed by the poll results. guys you need to vote it into existence

You seem down.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

I think he'll improve on his perimeter defense by being in better shape. He'll never be considered a shot blocking threat.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
Increase rebounding rate (aim for league top 10), play inside more, shoot the occassional three, defend hard and run the break.

This will be interesting. Do you want him camping for increased boards, or leaking out on the lanes like Kuzma? Also, giving up some of the "free rebounds" to Lonzo because he's so good at igniting the break would be a smart play.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

I want him to improve his defense the most. Off-ball it was terrible.

He has all the tools to be at worst, an average level NBA defender. He has unbelievably quick feet and agility for his size. Just lacks the focus and intensity on that end.

There are times where he was locked in (i.e. that Charlotte game) on defense and was a monster. We need more of that from him b/c assuming we get 2 max players, he will be asked to do more of that rather than scoring/iso scoring.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

It's not a yes or no question, because of the "adequately" part of your poll question.

We don't know the extent to which Randle will get the opportunity to demonstrate that he's adequately improved both his defense and perimeter shooting. Here's why.

His main limitation seems to me to have been his inconsistent level of effort given during plays or even through a series of possessions and exchanges of possession. He disappears - a lot.

I think if he's not fitting into the team's concept of active continuous thinking and effort, then he's got no chance to stick around. I think he'll get outplayed regardless of whether he improved or not in those two poll areas of play if he doesn't stay engaged on court.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

^I put adequately because of the subjectivity of it. I wanted to leave that definition up to the reader because my point was to get a sense of people's faith in Randle, not whether he will meet an objective criteria (such as a minimum defensive rating or minimum 3pt%). I like the way the poll is going. It's answering my curiosity. Seems most people are pretty split.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
giordan0 wrote:

This will be interesting. Do you want him camping for increased boards, or leaking out on the lanes like Kuzma? Also, giving up some of the "free rebounds" to Lonzo because he's so good at igniting the break would be a smart play.

I think Julius' rebounding will be affected by both Brook's lack of rebounding/ tendency to box out so others gets rebounds, and Lonzo's own nose for the ball. I don't think Julius will pull down 12 a game himself alone, but he and Lonzo could combine for 15-17 rebounds a game just between the two of them.

And it could be interesting to see who becomes the consistent lane guys on the break, and how that affects Julius' production. It has been DECADES since we've seen a consistent 4 or 5-man break on this team. Back in the 80s it was often Magic in the middle, Byron and Worthy filling lanes, and AC as the secondary finisher, and Kareem as the far trailer, like an extended Y formation with Kareem at the bottom When Kareem sat, though, and either Coop or Thompson was in, we'd either have two trailers coming to crash the offensive glass (AC and Thompson) or Coop switching off with Byron to be the pull-up transition 3.

I honestly don't know who'd be the fastest down court between Julius, KCP, Ingram, Nance, Clarkson, and Kuzma (assuming he gets steady minutes). But part of what Showtime so devastating was the fact that you had a 6-9 SF with superior end-to-end speed and finishing skills in Worthy.

Every QB needs a deep-threat, TD receiver. Randle should have a speed advantage over most 4s out there, but if he's needed on the glass, it may cut his opportunities. Still, if Randle can be that TD threat - while still improving on D - then look out.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
It has been DECADES since we've seen a consistent 4 or 5-man break on this team. Back in the 80s

Rare 5 on 1 break. Looked like a jet formation:

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Voted no because I don't think THIS season it will be adequately improved. I do think his fitness improvement alone plus experience will lead to a little improvement. I think KCP and the faster pace will also bump his enthusiasm for doing other things to help go with the team flow/spirit of other guys who are working hard on D.

I think his 3 point shooting will not get much better because he's not going to be the one taking or allowed to take enough 3 pointers to get comfortable and, from that comfort base, improve. We are going to have Ball, KCP, Kuzma, Clarkson, Lopez, the other rook guards all shooting out there. Not enough 3 touches for him.

I would say that decision making is his second biggest weakness over 3 point shooting anyway. He's so predictable and decides so early what he's going to do. Maybe lack of adaptability in a given play is a better way to put this weakness. The tendency I am talking about is the opposite of what Lonzo, and even Kuzma seem to have innately. Clarkson has the same issue. A defender just waits for them to do what they predictably will do. That's not something I see changing for Julius.

But, so what, he's going to be a steam train in a lot of ways, and I hope that his enjoyment of the new offense (and hopefully winning games) leads to getting hyped for defense and passing for him, and a lot of learning watching hi bb-IQ teammates make their choices.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:

I voted no. Guy goes from 0-overpowering so easily but he needs to realise it's obvious when he allows himself to drop to while the ball is in play.

Best thing he can do is make sure halfway is his minimum every second the ball is in play.

Lazy and bad conditioning is not what I'm saying or believe. He just needs to show the same intensity whether he thinks he's in the play or not.

Curse of the physically gifted. He needs to bust his butt to get into the middle of every possession to use it.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject:

An outside shot would force a defender to be honest and move up to honor that outside shot. This would enable him to use his speed and power to drive by defenders. The addition of Lopez would help him out big time if he could nail down his outside shots. With that shot, he would be a boarderline impossible cover for defenders. His low post game is non existant and I do not think he will improve in that area. He has to become a "willing" defender. I will not harp on his decision making. I really do not know how good he will be in transition when he has to fill a lane. With Zo on the court, gone are the days of him going coast to coast. He is obviously in shape, and hopefully it translates on the floor. He can not pick and choose when to go all out as his intensity has to be constant.
WE WANT TACOS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Hard no.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

I voted no but my optimism level has always been high for him. Every year I hear that he's unguardable in practice and then it occurs to me...he's practicing against the worst "D" in the NBA. That will change hopefully and this is the second year of his practicing that "crucial" 3 point shot. If he can shoot 37% and above...he will have a strong position on this roster. The conditioning work will help him defensively because he "has" the athletic prowess to play strong D IMHO. Who knows? His dedication will determine everything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: