Lakers vs Timberwolves who can go into playoff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Lakers vs Timberwolves who can go into playoff

Lopez vs Towns
Randle vs Gibson
Ingram vs Wiggins
KCP vs Butler
Ball vs Teague

Interesting
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Timberwolves are better at every position besides maybe PF, I think its fair to say the Wolves will be a lock to get into the playoffs this year.
Big Game Jeff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

T-wolves GM did a hell of a job the last few years. Both, in the draft and in free agency. They should be a playoff team in 2018.

Magic and Rob-Lowe Palinka have done well in their short time in control, but it'll probably take a few years to see results...
Big Game Jeff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Timberwolves are better at every position besides maybe PF, I think its fair to say the Wolves will be a lock to get into the playoffs this year.

Mostly agree, but Ball > Teague...
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

You forgot...

Walton vs. Thibs
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
You forgot...

Walton vs. Thibs

"I'd run thru wall for coach" vs "Coach made me run thru a wall"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Big Game Jeff wrote:
al242 wrote:

I know lots of people think Ball will pick up right from what he did in summer league and have minimal growing pains. Maybe yes, maybe no. It wouldn't surprise me if Ball was better in the long run but Teague is better this season.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

They certainly have the talent. Question is will they fit (not great 3 point shooting) and will they defend.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have a chance:
Per Sina:

Lopez vs Towns Towns defense/Lopez offense wash
Randle vs Gibson Randle stronger /Gibson experience
Ingram vs Wiggins Wiggins slightly ahead now
KCP vs Butler This is where Wolves have an all star
Ball vs Teague who knows?

The Lakers may have a better bench.
Who can do the bench comparison?

The Lakers with the Lopez, KCP, and Ball acquisitions have
moved up to the Wolves. Remains to be seen for both.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

The talent is there for the TWolves, but the question is whether or not Thibbs can get them to mesh. Offensively, I don't think Thibbs is capable of running an offense that can maximize all the offensive talent on the team, but they have the potential to really improve defensively with Butler and Gibson leading the way.

On paper, the TWolves should be the better team next season, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers are right there with them. Chemistry matters a lot in the NBA, and I think the Lakers are going to have tremendous chemistry with Lonzo leading the way.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Big Game Jeff wrote:
al242 wrote:

Potential wise, yes. However, it is a bit premature to say a 19 year old rookie is better than Jeff Teague at this point. Teague is good for 18 and 7 right now, I dont know if Paul can do that at an efficient rate in his rookie year.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
The Lakers have a chance:
Per Sina:

Lopez vs Towns Towns defense/Lopez offense wash
Randle vs Gibson Randle stronger /Gibson experience
Ingram vs Wiggins Wiggins slightly ahead now
KCP vs Butler This is where Wolves have an all star
Ball vs Teague who knows?

The Lakers may have a better bench.
Who can do the bench comparison?

The Lakers with the Lopez, KCP, and Ball acquisitions have
moved up to the Wolves. Remains to be seen for both.

I am as optimistic as they come when it comes to the Lakers, but the only advantage we have right now is at the PF position. The wolves are better at each other position by a good margin as of today.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Both will be in the playoffs.

And if they meet each other there, Lakers will win in 6. We got the Big Baller.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Ball definitely has more potential than Teague, but this year Teague is the better professional basketball player. Teague was the best catch and shoot 3 point shooter in the league 2 season ago, and was in the top 5 last year.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

The only big difference is at the SG position. And KCP should be able to hold his own defensively. And the Wolves look like a great defense but not that good offense team. Depends how much Butler can score for them.

Would be nice if the Lakers still had Lou and Nick Young on the second team off the bench. They would blow out many second teams by scoring more.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Style of play will be completely different. Sounds obvious, but if we make our shots, we are going to be difficult to beat. Offensively, the Wolves may fall into relying on ball stopping 1v1 play from Wiggins, Butler, and Towns. Whereas we want to play hot potato (in a sense) and find the open man for the best possible shot.

In any game this season, if we can hit some threes early it will cause the defense to play tight which will open up driving lanes for KCP and Randle - two of the fastest players in the NBA at their position. And the moment Towns helps in the paint BOOM Lopez is wide open behind the arc. Overly simplistic I know, but if they can hit their shots from the outside the Lakers will be a VERY dangerous team.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Style of play will be completely different. Sounds obvious, but if we make our shots, we are going to be difficult to beat. Offensively, the Wolves may fall into relying on ball stopping 1v1 play from Wiggins, Butler, and Towns. Whereas we want to play hot potato (in a sense) and find the open man for the best possible shot.

In any game this season, if we can hit some threes early it will cause the defense to play tight which will open up driving lanes for KCP and Randle - two of the fastest players in the NBA at their position. And the moment Towns helps in the paint BOOM Lopez is wide open behind the arc. Overly simplistic I know, but if they can hit their shots from the outside the Lakers will be a VERY dangerous team.

Exactly. This speaks to my point about chemistry. Offensively, Butler isn't going to move the needle much especially when you consider that the Twolves had 3 guys in Towns, Wiggins and Lavine putting up a lot of points. His value offensively will show more at the end of games.

Defensively is where Minny needs to take a huge leap. For all intents and purposes, they were as bad as the Lakers, which is unfathomable considering who coaches the team and the defensive potential of guys like Towns and Wiggins. It remains to be seen how much of difference adding Butler and Gibson will make on the defensive end. Those 2 were part of a solid defensive team in Chicago, but the Bulls also had Rondo and Robin Lopez.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
You forgot...

Walton vs. Thibs

"I'd run thru wall for coach" vs "Coach made me run thru a wall"

This is perfect!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Big Game Jeff wrote:
al242 wrote:

I know lots of people think Ball will pick up right from what he did in summer league and have minimal growing pains. Maybe yes, maybe no. It wouldn't surprise me if Ball was better in the long run but Teague is better this season.

We'll see if Wiggins is still better than Ingram. It's said that his stats have no real effect on the game.
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Big Game Jeff wrote:
al242 wrote:

Teague is more experienced, yes. Will he run that hodgepodge of players better?-- we shall see

Also i think every player on our roster will see a spike in their production and public perception as a result of playing with Lonzo this year...

Further, I believe Brandon Ingram and Randle will benefit the most, and coupled with their offseason work we will see vast improvements in their game on both sides of the court, narrowing the gap between the two squads.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

Right now the Wolves are much better than us
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Wolves are going to take the 5 or 6 seed. We'll be anywhere between 8-12.

Not close
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Right now the Wolves are much better than us

TWolves are potentially much better defensively me thinks. Offensively, I think we potentially are a very tough cover with a dynamic pass-first PG playing along side a running team that can stretch the floor.

We'll see - All we can do now is speculate. But now that both coaches have 'their horses' it'll be interesting to see which style of play wins out.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

I'd have to agree that comparing individual skills favors the Wolves. However, we have Lonzo and on offense at least, I believe we will function much better as a team. To me, the difference will be in which team learns how to play good NBA defense.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Big Game Jeff wrote:
al242 wrote:

If the situations were reversed, you don't think Minny would rather have Ball than Teague?

If one believes Ball to be a transcendent talent, as I do, then saying Teague is better right now is like saying Eddie Jones was a better option than LeBron going into the 2003-2004 season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: