Deng's departure -- poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What happens to Deng's contract?
He is traded before the beginning of this season
11%
 11%  [ 15 ]
He is traded during the season before the trade deadline
19%
 19%  [ 27 ]
He is traded sometime after the season
19%
 19%  [ 26 ]
He is not traded but instead stretched
38%
 38%  [ 53 ]
His contract is bought out
11%
 11%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 136

Crash Override
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't see other teams taking on his contract. Unless he balls out. Hopefully he balls out this season
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I think part of the understanding of sending out DLO to get rid of Moz was that they didn't HAVE to trade Deng if they could trade JC who is far more desirable.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Maybe they can trade him back to Miami since they don't have much at the forward positions. If only the Heat were that foolish.

Is there a team out there with young prospects that can use a good locker room veteran? The Lakers don't need theirs anymore.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Definitely not stretched.

Only question is when he gets traded.
I think it depends on how well Randle plays. if he has a great season - we might be able to attach Deng at the deadline.
If he doesn't - then we attach a 1st rd pick or even 2 and dump Deng over the summer.

Another thing that I can see happening, is moving Deng with Randle at the deadline for a bad contract that's still much better than Deng's and will be easy to dump in the offseason with a 1st rounder.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

I think it depends on how well Randle plays. if he has a great season - we might be able to attach Deng at the deadline.
If he doesn't - then we attach a 1st rd pick or even 2 and dump Deng over the summer.

Another thing that I can see happening, is moving Deng with Randle at the deadline for a bad contract that's still much better than Deng's and will be easy to dump in the offseason with a 1st rounder.

I just don't get why guys think it will be so easy to trade this guy. His salary is almost 20% of a team's entire cap and will extend until 2020. Just "throwing in a first round pick" isn't going to do it. If either Randle or Clarkson become good enough to entice a team to take Deng, I guarantee no one here will want to make the trade. Remember either of those two will be making 12million a year too, hat's 30mil total.

They'll likely end up stretching him at 7.2 million.

Last edited by kevin61 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

I just don't get why guys think it will be so easy to trade this guy. His salary is almost 20% of a team's entire cap and will extend until 2020. Just "throwing in a first round pick" isn't going to do it. If Randle or Clarkson becomes good enough to entice a team to take him, I guarantee no one here will want to Make the trade. They'll likely end up stretching him at 7.2 million.

2/36 is tradable.

We'll attach a very lightly protected 1st, or two protected 1sts if we need to, Randle will probably be moved at the deadline for another pick we can use, Nance, Zubac, Hart - whoever we need other than Ball, Ingram, Kuzma.

All off that being available to us - yes, definitely - we can move a 2/36 deal next summer.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

I just don't get why guys think it will be so easy to trade this guy. His salary is almost 20% of a team's entire cap and will extend until 2020. Just "throwing in a first round pick" isn't going to do it. If Randle or Clarkson becomes good enough to entice a team to take him, I guarantee no one here will want to Make the trade. They'll likely end up stretching him at 7.2 million.

2/36 is tradable.

We'll attach a very lightly protected 1st, or two protected 1sts if we need to, Randle will probably be moved at the deadline for another pick we can use, Nance, Zubac, Hart - whoever we need other than Ball, Ingram, Kuzma.

All off that being available to us - yes, definitely - we can move a 2/36 deal next summer.

I highly doubt your scenario. Like I said if Randle is enough enticement for a team to take 30 million in salaries, we need to keep him.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

2/36 is tradable.

I highly doubt your scenario. Like I said if Randle is enough enticement for a team to take 30 million in salaries, we need to keep him.

Because those 1st rd picks are suddenly out of the equation ?...

And Randle won't be kept regardless since he plays the same position as Lebron and the super cheap Kuzma.

Only question is when will he be moved and how much would we get for him.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Crash Override wrote:
I don't see other teams taking on his contract. Unless he balls out. Hopefully he balls out this season

I would prefer he plays very little. I have much more interest seeing our young forwards play and develop. We have four great young guys that need the minutes at 3 and 4. I think injuries are the only way that Deng will see substantial time.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

2/36 is tradable.

And Randle won't be kept regardless since he plays the same position as Lebron and the super cheap Kuzma.

Two (likely late) first round picks in 2019 and 2021 are not worth 18 million a year for two years. Think about this. We traded Lou Williams, with an undermarket contract and another year remaining and got the 28th pick. His contract was highly desirable, it was cheap and he was playing excellently.No one will take Dengs deal for what you're proposing.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

2/36 is tradable.

Two (likely late) first round picks in 2019 and 2021 are not worth 18 million a year for two years. Think about this. We traded Lou Williams, with an undermarket contract and another year remaining and got the 28th pick. His contract was highly desirable, it was cheap and he was playing excellently.No one will take Dengs deal for what you're proposing.

The Raptors traded Carroll's unwanted 2/30 contract with a lotto protected (!!!) 1st rd pick, a 2nd rd pick, and they took back a 3 mil $ expiring deal.

Think about this.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Carroll is two years younger than Deng will be ( allegedly) and has played 9000 minutes to Dengs 30,000. They aren't comparable.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
Carroll is two years younger than Deng will be ( allegedly) and has played 9000 minutes to Dengs 30,000. They aren't comparable.

Neither is what will be offered with Deng's contract.

And Nets didn't want Carroll because they thought he would be a great contributer.
There's a reason the Raptors added those sweetners - it was a salary dump.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

2/36 is tradable.

I do agree with davidse, adding picks should get Deng traded. And I agree with you, if Randle has a great season you don't trade him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

Brooklyn didn't trade for Carroll, they traded for the picks.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I disagree, let's see what happens. I hope for the sake of the team that your "highly optimistic" scenario comes to fruition. In any event, meet me back here next year when it's resolved, when one of us will eat crow. As a long time Laker fan I will be happily have my fork ready if need be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

No need to eat crow, just fans discussing their team.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:

Brooklyn didn't trade for Carroll, they traded for the picks.

You've made that point before and it is understood. As I've said before, the picks are compensation for taking a bad contract. The question we're discussing is: how bad a contract is Carroll's in relation to Deng's ?
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
davidse wrote:

2/36 is tradable.

I do agree with davidse, adding picks should get Deng traded. And I agree with you, if Randle has a great season you don't trade him.

I haven't given up on Randle like a lot of folks here. I think he'll be much better with Llonzo. It will likely come down to him or Clarkson, let's hope they both play well to maximize their value.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Here is an opportunity.
Brandon Knight just tore his ACL and could be out all year.
He has 3 years remaining with about $13M-$15M
We can trade Deng and a 2018 2nd (or 1st in 2022 or a player) for Knight and ~$3M in expiring contracts.
That gets us down to $14M average instead of $18M average.
If he recovers, much easier to trade Knight than Deng.
If stretched, it is about $5.5M/year instead of $7M/year.

This is basically the way the Lakers need to go.

Next summer find a contract with 3yr/27m and trade it for Dengs 2/36.

Save about $4m in stretched money to use, which should be enough to sign 2 max and keep Randle if we can dump Clarkson.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
The reality is that the Lakers will probably ride this one out. If the
FO gets really creative and attach a piece we're not expecting, we will
have another DLO type feud; trade aren't easy and we'd need to give to
get.
I agree with this. Ultimately, Deng will probably be stretched because no team wants our garbage. Lets face it, at this point Randle and Clarkson just dont have any value. We might get lucky and some team might absorb Clarkson. Maybe Randle starts off the season great, and im optimistic that he will, but if we want to get something done now, I dont think we have good enough assets to attach Deng to. Maybe some team is in love with Zu? Hopefully. Deng will probably be stretched doe.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject:

Maybe when they sign a high-profiled FA(s), they will change it to a S&T that would help both/all teams
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject:

IMO the Lakers continue to ride it out. Prematurely dumping young players for the 2 max dream is counter productive at this point.

Deng can play the backup SF role (although expensive). He can still contribute some stability to a young team depending on young player to play major roles. I think he is being underestimated in what he can provide this year. Not the All-Star anymore but not the bum so many keep labeling him.

Obviously disappointed in his overall production last year. Still concerns about how much he is training now. But IMO still capable of being a solid backup for the Lakers.

Maybe a standing offer of CHI 2rd and a future 1st to see if any team takes it. If not just keep him for the year. I want to see this team play together a year then re-evaluate the options next summer.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:

I think the best possible Deng outcome for the club is that he has a great 2017-18 season here, and that Randle gets traded before the deadline. Suitors for Deng will call next Summer. The LeBron option is just a hallucination, he's not going to come to a club in rebuild mode, and even if he did, Deng's a better match to him talent-wise than Randle.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:

If it happens it will happen at the trade dead lie, and will happen because some of our young players look really good, specifically

Randle, JC, Zubac....if so two of them and a future 1st could get you out of the Deng contract or who knows maybe it's lopez and some team takes deng in a package to unload a bunch of smaller contracts of varying length, that the lakers could more easily unload.

Whether he is traded or not, I'm a 1000% certain they will look at everything within reason to see if they can do so......

I think it's less likely to happen than it is, because it's such a dog of a contract but lets see
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: